Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Awesome: 'OWS - Finger-Wiggling Their Way To a Better Tomorrow' by CanadianWolverine

CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in [2008-2012] Awesome Posts?
  dragonshardz likes this Post written by CanadianWolverine
about two years ago
"I agree totally and I want to share it with people who might not be looking at the OWS thread."
I found this video today and I think it expresses well something about Occupy that I agree deeply with. And IMHO, its not just empty rhetoric, expressing concern with the direction society is headed is an act of love. I know I felt moved to act and give without expecting in return because when Occupy came along, all I could think of at first was about the kind of world my daughter was going to grow up in. This movement trying to address wealth and political inequality really does benefit those with great wealth as well.

steam_sig.png

• ThreeCubedThreeCubed Registered User
    Four years ago: the youth of this nation are apathetic
    Today: These kids need to just shut up.

EyQGd.jpg
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Margarazzi wrote:

Turns out they only wanted the youth to speak up as long as they thought the youth agreed with everything they said.

Weird.

twitter, github, resume/portfolio, if you like to play or host boardgames online, check out handtracker
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    admanb wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:

Turns out they only wanted the youth to speak up as long as they thought the youth agreed with everything they said.

Weird.

well, it sure would be nice if these "youth" would get off their asses and actually fucking vote. Because there has yet to be an election where they have shown themselves to be a constituency worthy of being paid attention to.

What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • VanguardVanguard Drive your cart and your plow over the bones of the dead. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Um...did you miss 2008? I'm pretty sure they played a pivotal role in Obama getting elected.

Deebaser wrote: »
    Vanguard is the Cool English Teacher that wears sneakers, drives a convertible, and teaches at risk youth the magic of learning. He's the motherfuckin' Mary Poppins of Iambic Pentameter

MY RPG Blog: The Earthlight Academy
    Vanguard wrote:
    Um...did you miss 2008? I'm pretty sure they played a pivotal role in Obama getting elected.

Nope. Not really.

Oh they got a lot of the attention but their ratio of (number who actually voted regardless of for whom) / (number who could have voted) was still absyssmal.

What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote:
    Nope. Not really.
    Oh they got a lot of the attention but their ratio of (number who actually voted regardless of for whom) / (number who could have voted) was still absyssmal.
    I don't have numbers or facts to back me up (hey! I sound like a politician now!) but isn't that pretty much the case for all potential voting demographics?

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    see317 wrote:
    Vanguard wrote:
    Nope. Not really.
    I don't have numbers or facts to back me up (hey! I sound like a politician now!) but isn't that pretty much the case for all potential voting demographics?

I meant abyssmal compared to other voting demographics.

• Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    admanb wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:

Weird.

well, it sure would be nice if these "youth" would get off their asses and actually fucking vote. Because there has yet to be an election where they have shown themselves to be a constituency worthy of being paid attention to.

As one of those youth who doesn't vote, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference who is in office. Its the same warmongering and plutocratic crap every time. Activism is making your voice heard literally, which might be pointless I'm really not sure, but it seems a bit more productive than choosing which member of the ruling class makes decisions on your behalf.

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    This seems like a good place to note that one of the biggest regrets in my life is that I was once a youth who thought it didn't matter who won elections