As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iBuyPower / Cyberpower?

ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular

I am looking to buy/build a new machine -- at this point I think I would rather just buy something pre built and possibly upgrade it down the line. I don't know if I have it in me to build a machine anymore. I used to build them 7+ years ago and I can't keep up with the technology to make good/separate purchase decisions. That said, I need to get a new machine soon and was hoping to take advantage of some cyber monday sales today to get things ordered.

Does anyone know if either of the below systems are good / the reputation of the sellers?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227371
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229284

Thanks in advance -- I didn't spend a lot of time searching this forum but the build thread didn't look like the right place to put this topic?

ToddJewell on

• Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    Looks like they both sold out :( I don't have any experience with those brands. I have a good amount of cyberpower UPSs that I like, but I think this company is different (cyberpowerpc). Neither of those seem to be using any proprietary bullshit, so they probably would be a decent base to upgrade later. Keep in mind that they probably cut corners on most of the ancillary parts that don't make the title line (PSU, case, fans, possibly motherboard).

Newegg reviews aren't perfect, but if there are a decent amount of them and they are almost all positive I wouldn't hesitate to jump on the next deal you find.

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    I bought an iBuyPower laptop. Granted, this was like five years ago, but dealing with them was an absolute nightmare; the machine was a piece of junk and they tried to screw me for $1000 when I sent it in for service under warranty. Stay away from them.

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    If you could build a computer 7 years ago, things have probably only gotten easier. Bop into the computer build thread, check the OP, post your budget and requirements, and just buy what they tell you to. If you think you can piece it together, they can walk you through the rest.

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Daedalus wrote:
    I bought an iBuyPower laptop. Granted, this was like five years ago, but dealing with them was an absolute nightmare; the machine was a piece of junk and they tried to screw me for $1000 when I sent it in for service under warranty. Stay away from them.

On those same lines Cyberpower UPSs are decent products for the price but god have mercy if you try to get any customer service or have anything thats covered under warranty fixed or taken care of. Spend a few more bucks and go with APC.

• Options
    ParielPariel Registered User regular
    I'm with Skoal Cat (although that may be because we both frequent the Computer Build Thread).

iBuypower and Cyberpowerpc don't produce good quality systems, and I've never heard anything but horror stories about their customer service.

If you have any sort of basic mechanical skill (ie: can use a screwdriver and read instructions properly), the computer build thread can give you advice on the right parts to buy. Granted, you become your own tech support(or maybe we do?), but you'll save a ton of money.

• Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    well I bought all my parts yesterday [newegg] and they all got shipped yesterday so if I have any issues, I will be in that thread -- ha.

• Options
    DaltonCarlDaltonCarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

DaltonCarl on