As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fantasy Signups Now Open [BASKETBALL]

• KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Bill Simmons had a good point about small-market teams overpaying. It's not LA's fault that you're into the luxury tax with a team that can't hold a winning record. If the Pacers can make the playoffs, and still remain far under the salary cap, anyone can do it. You just have to take it upon yourself to remain disciplined with your money.

e: as much as I hate Bill Simmons.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Now I have even less of a reason to watch NBA this year besides the Pistons likely going to be horrible.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    The thing is, if Stern forces Paul to stay in New Orleans, he loses over $30 million dollars. If he gets traded, he can opt out of his contract and sign with whatever team he's traded to for $100 million (over however long). If he doesn't, he can only sign for $70 million. So he stands to lose a lot of money. That's why he's trying to pursue legal action against the league.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Yeah but once again Simmons, whom I actually like but disagree with a lot on basketball, fails to show any empathy for small market fans.
    It's what Dan Gilbert and the other Overpayers Anonymous owners will never understand. In professional basketball, history trumps everything else. It's not just about playing in Los Angeles. It's about playing for the fucking Lakers. It's about following the footsteps of Magic, Kareem, Wilt, West, Baylor and Shaq. It's about Showtime, Nicholson, the yellow jerseys, the Laker Girls, even that awful Randy Newman song.

Actually, Bill, we all understand. We just don't give a shit about the Lakers history. We're fucking bored of Lakers-Celtics domination and bored of a league content to have ~70% of its teams be irrelevant.
    When these idiots complain about a "big market/small market" disparity, it's almost like they never followed the league before they bought their teams. Of course there's a disparity! What kid doesn't grow up wanting to play for the Celtics, Lakers or Knicks?

Such a horseshit argument. Because it's always been this way we have to like it? Oh and at no point does Simmons or has anyone disputed Gilbert's assertion that even if the Lakers were giving up the most it was putting them in the best position to land Howard as well.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    It still should not fall to the NBA to block the trade when they claimed they would not get involved and even appointed someone who was supposed to independently make those decisions. And now Stern's statement says its in the best interest of the Hornets to keep Paul? I don't see how that's true. If it were my team, I'd rather get something for him than have him walk away a free agent and get nothing.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Could this be a thing where the owners had to surrender a CBA bullet point about competitive balance, and Stern is making an example out of a player just because he can?

That sounds realistic.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I think Stern meant it's in the best interest of the NBA for the Hornets to keep Paul. He probably doesn't give two shits about the Hornets.

Ownership is basically trying to send a message to all the top talent that they won't be able to get away with strong arming their current team into dealing them to a big market like Carmelo did to Denver last year.

Not really sure where I stand on it though. On one hand I cannot stand all the midseason trade, is he leaving, is he not bullshit that's been going on for the last few years. On the other hand if you know a guy is going to leave after the season and your team sucks I'd hope you could have the option of moving him for young players.

Basically the NBA is totally fucked.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    The NBA should have compensatory draft picks for teams like New Orleans.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    $65 million offer made to Nene by NJ.

That be crazy.

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    The thing about the Melo trade and the nixed Paul trade is that the team sending the superstar out of town got better in the trade. But they traded that for star power. What Stern is failing to grasp is that the Hornets are going to lose their star power anyways. So now they're not only going to suck but no one will care when they do. If this trade had gone down, atleast they wouldn't have sucked.

Also, Odom didn't report to Lakers camp today.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Butters wrote:
    Yeah but once again Simmons, whom I actually like but disagree with a lot on basketball, fails to show any empathy for small market fans.
    It's what Dan Gilbert and the other Overpayers Anonymous owners will never understand. In professional basketball, history trumps everything else. It's not just about playing in Los Angeles. It's about playing for the fucking Lakers. It's about following the footsteps of Magic, Kareem, Wilt, West, Baylor and Shaq. It's about Showtime, Nicholson, the yellow jerseys, the Laker Girls, even that awful Randy Newman song.

Actually, Bill, we all understand. We just don't give a shit about the Lakers history. We're fucking bored of Lakers-Celtics domination and bored of a league content to have ~70% of its teams be irrelevant.
    When these idiots complain about a "big market/small market" disparity, it's almost like they never followed the league before they bought their teams. Of course there's a disparity! What kid doesn't grow up wanting to play for the Celtics, Lakers or Knicks?

Such a horseshit argument. Because it's always been this way we have to like it? Oh and at no point does Simmons or has anyone disputed Gilbert's assertion that even if the Lakers were giving up the most it was putting them in the best position to land Howard as well.

This is all true and it reveals both Simmons' bias and the fact that he can be an asshole. I like what he had to say about the trade making basketball sense and that the league stepping in was a major error in judgement. You're totally right that he'd have written a completely different article if he'd grown up a Bucks fan.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Yeah that's the part that has everyone frustrated. It was a trade that made sense.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I think the part that frustrates me the most, even without being a Lakers fan (I didn't like giving up as much as we did, but w/e), is that it basically kills the Hornets for the future. There's no way Paul stays in New Orleans, and if the league doesn't let him go, there's no way he'll give 100%. Then, at the end of the year, he'll opt out of his contract, sign with the Lakers or the Knicks, and the Hornets will be left with nothing.

Small market teams have even less of a chance to retain star players now thanks to the NBA's decision. Star players are still going to head to the big market teams, and they'll wait for free agency now because the league offices won't let it happen via trades. In the long run, this hurts small market teams more than it helps them.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
    Wilbon just used the term "plantation mentality" referring to the owners of the NBA and was totally serious. I understand the point he's trying to make but it just seems kind of pot stirring to use that sort of language.

Bryant Gumbel started the whole plantation thing if I remember correctly. That's been going around for awhile.

• zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    why arent we talking about this.

moose.jpg.pagespeed.ce.tDeLK1V47N.jpg

PHIL E. MOOSE!

or is that Poochie?

• zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I believe you mean B Franklin Dogg

six_111205_bfranklindogg_2T.jpg

zucchini on
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    I would totally cheer for a moose.

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    this season is going to be such a clusterfuck. jesus christ.

All the Sixers players should be forced to wear that stupid ass bell on their heads during games.

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote:
    I can't wait for Howard to show up with the Lakers, because that is where all big men who start out in Orlando end up.

Pages (and days) late, buuuuuuuuut...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M&feature=related

[IMG][/img]
    Tyson Chandler is officially a Knick. Billups will be amnestied and might retired if he doesn't get signed by a "desireable" team. David Stern to not allow Billups to retire.

Also, Turiaf is going to be traded, and the Lakers might be interested if they make a new deal to get Paul and it goes through this time.

Turiaf is a cool dude, I miss having him over here.

Oh damn now there's a report saying Turiaf deal might be holding up Chandler's signing.

• ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    I get discounted tickets to Blazers games because I am a Nike employee. Going to go to so much Rip City basketball.

edited December 2011
    Now it appears the Mavs and Knicks are working on a sign and trade. I wonder if Jason Kidd ends up in NY. Wouldn't that be fancy.

EDIT: Obviously I'm just bsing, waiting for the damn deal to be done with.

Goose! on
  • simosimo Registered User regular
    celtics sign and trade for david west was on, off and now apparently back on

i love this deal

i also love the baby for brandon bass deal they swung last night

roster is looking better, they're power forward heavy but with west and garnett's knees and the condensed schedule that's not a bad thing

now they need a center

bugss2.jpg
    crazy fight at the end of the xavier-cincinnati game

bugss2.jpg
    Tyson Chandler is now a Knick, along with the rights to 2 recent draft picks that have been playing in Europe (one since '07, and one since '09).

It was a three team sign and trade that sends Andy Rautins to Dallas and Ronny Turiaf to Washington with a 2nd round pick in '13.

Billups has also been designated as their amnesty player. And its said that Mike Bibby is to become a Knick, but Toney Douglas is projected as the starting PG.

i would hope so, for knicks fans sakes

bibby is terrible

the chandler acquisition is a very nice one though

bugss2.jpg
    Yeah, I'd rather Baron Davis, but there's too many wild cards in the amnesty process to have a realistic chance of getting him. Bibby hit 3s well last year, and that's something the Knicks always value.

Its a 1 year deal at the minimum. Suddenly I am thrilled with signing Bibby.

Damn. I was hoping the Pacers would land David West

mrsatansig.png
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    so uh

suck it, Kentucky?

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
    there are very few things better than watching calipari lose

bugss2.jpg
    What was Calipari bitching about at the end?

he wanted his team to foul, they had one to give

bugss2.jpg
    Couldn't hurt, I suppose. Hoosiers ran a great play to get the guy an open look.

Damn. Can't believe IU beat UK.

mrsatansig.png
This discussion has been closed.