As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Martian [chat]icles

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    @21stCentury why did you not use the stock heatsink/fan that came with the processor? It has the goo on it by default and all you've got to do is snap it into place and make sure it's tightened if applicable. As for building computers it's super easy until you start adding aftermarket pieces and overclocking.

Aftermarket heatsink for better performance. Clearly an error on my part.

Unless you're overclocking, never do this. And I would never overclock, it's almost worth it in like 2 cases. I'd rather have a slightly shitty skyrim than a smoldering pile of rubble because I melted my GPU because I put in the wrong multiplier or by the sheer will of mother nature she decided to smite it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    No Stranger in a Strange Land Jacob? And the last time I built a PC, I bought a CPU heatsink combo that came with the wax already applied.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote:
    You're right I shouldn't have made the comparison

it was dumb

building a pc is easier

You're making me feel bad on purpose, aintcha?

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    oh nvm then

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    @21stCentury why did you not use the stock heatsink/fan that came with the processor? It has the goo on it by default and all you've got to do is snap it into place and make sure it's tightened if applicable. As for building computers it's super easy until you start adding aftermarket pieces and overclocking.

Unless you're overclocking, never do this. And I would never overclock, it's almost worth it in like 2 cases. I'd rather have a slightly shitty skyrim than a smoldering pile of rubble because I melted my GPU because I put in the wrong multiplier or by the sheer will of mother nature she decided to smite it.

It's kind of too late already. The deed is done.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Can't not see "Martian Testicles".

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I built my computer no problem. The key for me was to treat it as if I was defusing a bomb with all of the caution and attention to detail that implies.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    The largest problem with assembling computers is getting heatsink/fans on properly. It's like 1000000000 times harder if you don't use the stock one that comes with the CPU. It's not even funny I don't even like doing it. Getting the goo on there is a pain itself. If you apply more than a half of a pea you'll probably fuck up the CPU.

my most recent computer the stock heatsink wouldn't sit right so I got high temps til I replaced it

a huge difference between changing a tire and building a computer is if you get a bum computer part that's gonna take some effort to figure out.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Jacob: John Carter princess of mars miniseries that marvel is putting out is pretty decent

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote:
    I was able to change a tire on a car in 15 minutes with the only outside instruction being the little plate on the body where you are supposed to put the jack by a fellow at the gasstation. First and only time.
    This is significantly different from building a PC.

It's really easy to build a PC these days. As long as the components are all compatible, it's nothing but tab A into slot B, repeat as necessary. The hardest part is not dropping the motherboard screws somewhere amongst the capacitors where you can't reach them.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    reddit tells me that gretzky has more career assists than any other player has total points

wow

Man, thanks for reminding me that I should get back into watching hockey. I tried it for a bit an enjoyed it but fell out of the habit.

Tough when the only sport your friends want to watch is Starcraft.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    What's really funny (not really funny) is that most of my Khazak friends get mistaken for Asians because of their facial features.

but

but they're Asian

they really are

there's some argument about where to separate Asia and Europe but if Kazakhstan falls inside "Europe" I'll eat a map

also: re, Stalin murdering non-Russians, wasn't Stalin totes Georgian

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote:

it was dumb

building a pc is easier
    ah cool now I can be sure you aren't serious

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    bowen wrote:
    bowen wrote:

No wonder you work in a hospital.

Overclocking is fantastic.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote:

it was dumb

building a pc is easier

You're making me feel bad on purpose, aintcha?

I'm more being facetious than anything. I am terrible with cars and mechanic work but I've been assured that changing a tire/changing your oil is for little babies.

I can even tell you how to do both.

When -I- do them however? The Gods are laughing.

Mostly I'm trying to say that I understand your issue and I don't at the same time.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Re: Stranger in a Strange Land

Fuck Heinlein. I hate his crap so much, aside from Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Starship Troopers. Not sure how I'd feel about those two on a reread these days.

• Options
    I think it's like 96 degrees and most motherboards will shut it off before it reaches that to prevent damage. But if you're broaching 90 under normal use, you've thermal compound is probably misapplied.

Still have the stock heatsink and can you clean the goo off the processor?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote:
    I built my computer no problem. The key for me was to treat it as if I was defusing a bomb with all of the caution and attention to detail that implies.

"Ok, it's all together. Now, I cut the red wire.... DAMMIT."

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    Can't not see "Martian Testicles".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nms-cFHynyo

• Options
    I build my own computers and change my own oil.

Bow before your lord and savior, Inquisitor.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    oh

i feel incredibly unwell

i wonder whether i have food poisoning :-/

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Lud, I met the creepy dude. I'm not even in that gang, I just met him on the road.
    His carriage had lost a wheel.

It was carrying a large box, which he said contained his sweet mother's casket.

So yeah I found a guard and lied about him trying to smuggle things.

He might take revenge against a nearby farmer, though.

But still, jesus that guy is creepy.

Like, he's doing the "appear ridiculous and no-one will think you're dangerous" but it's not working

He gives me the heebie jeebies

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    bowen wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Yeah fantastic if you like to stab your penis with a railroad spike. I'd rather not damage my components. My friend destroyed his computer last year because he did it. Blue smoke entailed.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    desc wrote:
    Jacob: John Carter princess of mars miniseries that marvel is putting out is pretty decent

oooh interesting

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote:

I would change my own oil, but after disposal costs, it's actually cheaper to just pay someone 30 bucks to do it.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Lud, I met the creepy dude. I'm not even in that gang, I just met him on the road.
    His carriage had lost a wheel.

It was carrying a large box, which he said contained his sweet mother's casket.

So yeah I found a guard and lied about him trying to smuggle things.

He might take revenge against a nearby farmer, though.

But still, jesus that guy is creepy.

Like, he's doing the "appear ridiculous and no-one will think you're dangerous" but it's not working

He gives me the heebie jeebies
    cicero would disembowel you and wear your entrails as a jester hat

• Options
    bowen wrote:
    I think it's like 96 degrees and most motherboards will shut it off before it reaches that to prevent damage. But if you're broaching 90 under normal use, you've thermal compound is probably misapplied.

I'm not switching the heatsink. if it don't work, I'm getting someone to fix the aftermarket one.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Man I think my meds are working. I was told yesterday by a chatter that I may see more focus.

Got some "busy" work earlier today and busted through it all with the swiftness and didn't once peak at chat.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:

I would change my own oil, but after disposal costs, it's actually cheaper to just pay someone 30 bucks to do it.

Just dump that shit down the rain gutter. Who cares?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote:

Disposal costs? Your local recycling service doesn't accept used motor oil?

• Options
    bowen wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Yeah fantastic if you like to stab your penis with a railroad spike. I'd rather not damage my components. My friend destroyed his computer last year because he did it. Blue smoke entailed.

Your friend is a failure that doesn't understand limits, then. Overclocking is a combination of maintaining stability and increasing performance. You have to be able to balance both. I OCed a 2.6ghz quadcore to 3.4ghz and noticed it was way unstable and way too hot, so I tuned it down to 3.2 and it was much better, barely even higher than the 2.6 was reading.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote:

You can take used to any Walmart and just like, hand it to them. Or, maybe not in Massachusetts? Usually they do oil collection for free because it encourages people to not dump it.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote:
    The Tyson / Cain video should probably win the 2011 Internet Video Award.
    That thing is just amazing.
    I'm sorry, that award is taken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSbr0EYYU

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    ronya wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    What's really funny (not really funny) is that most of my Khazak friends get mistaken for Asians because of their facial features.

but

but they're Asian

they really are

there's some argument about where to separate Asia and Europe but if Kazakhstan falls inside "Europe" I'll eat a map

also: re, Stalin murdering non-Russians, wasn't Stalin totes Georgian

look sometimes Kazakhstan has a lot of fermented mare's milk and passes out wherever it wants

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote:

It ends up being not a whole lot cheaper in my area but ever since my local oil changing place charged my brother for changing oil and then didn't actually change it I've just done it myself. It's about the same amount of hassle, personally.

• Options
    Chanus wrote:
    Just dump that shit down the rain gutter. Who cares?

tear.jpg

• Options
    emnmnme wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:

Disposal costs? Your local recycling service doesn't accept used motor oil?

Yeah they do but you have to pay for the containers which are 10 bucks a pop.
    bowen wrote:

I'm not switching the heatsink. if it don't work, I'm getting someone to fix the aftermarket one.

Find someone reputable locally to help you out. Do not, under any circumstances, take it to Best Buy or Future Shop or any big store like that. Their "technicians" are a bunch of yahoos.

• Options
    JustinSane07, you're too rough. It's making me flustered.

(in bed)

• Options
    thehumandignitythehumandignity Registered User regular
    Yes, Stalin was Georgian, and characterizing his genocides as Russian-supremacist would be inaccurate.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    the only real OCing I do to my comps is monkeying with the ram timings and such

This discussion has been closed.