As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dying Hard Drive

Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
I think my hard drive is currently dying. Was blue screening two days ago and only would boot after running checkdisk twice with a ton of bad sectors and indexes.

So I bought another one, but currently the dying hard drive seems to be working ok and Id like to get my data off of it. It's acting a little weird "Windows has stopped working" cancel etc. So I am pretty sure its time is running out.

So my question is, I'd like to install my new hard drive along with the old one and start moving my data over to it, but first things first I'd like to set up my new hard drive to boot windows as a backup in case my dying one fails.

Its been a long time since ive done this sort of thing and I really just need to know the basic procedure that would be best for this. I can google what I need to do but Im not exactly sure what to google at this point. A boot partition? Should I just install windows onto this HDD and dual boot it?

What would be the best way to go about doing this?

Thank you

Not today.
Wandering Hero on

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    plug in your new drive, than unplug the old one temporarily
    install windows onto the new drive.
    shutdown and than plug your old drive back in
    tell your bios to boot from the new drive
    when you boot up again once in windows you may need to assign a drive letter to your old drive in order to get the data off, so go to control panel->admin tools->computer management->disk management->right click on the drive in the lower portion of the window and assign a drive letter.

and than you just need to pray that it lives long enough to get what you want off it.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms