As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sister's Laptop Won't Install Software, Other Clusterfucks

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
While on vacation, my sister was complaining about not being able to view her work's FLV files. Apparently, her version of Flash was outdated, but every attempt to install the latest version after downloading from Adobe resulted in the program hanging up.

After taking the usual steps, I haven't been able to figure out the problem, and now she completely lacks flash (tried to uninstall/reinstall it), which means no YouTube, which means a bitch session toward me.

So I told her to try Google Chrome, only to have her tell me that the program also fails to install, stating a possible Proxy issue. I'm not too familiar with Proxy problems, and the only method I found was to have her select No Proxy on Firefox.

Didn't work. So then I had her turn off her Antivirus software, as it sounds like some sort of security protocol is keeping her from installing (my guess). Again, still wouldn't work.

So at this point I'm out of ideas and could really use your help in figuring out this problem. I'm back home, so I can't physically look at her laptop. If I had to make another guess, it would be that maybe one of the programs her work required her to install is causing this issue, but I didn't recognize any of the program names and chose not to mess with any of them.

She uses Windows 7 by the way.

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    It's really tough to figure out without a great description of the problem (it would be nice to at least have the Google Chrome error) but sfc /scannow in the command prompt would be my first suggestion.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Yeah, it doesn't help that she is very, very poor with anything resembling a computer (hence why she's in this situation to begin with), so I can only relay what she's told me.

I'm not too familiar with that prompt, though. Is that something she types in the run bar? What's she supposed to look for afterward?

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    1. Click on the "Start" menu button in the lower left hand part of the screen.

2. In the "Search programs and files" section, type "cmd" without the quotes.

3. Hit "Enter" on the keyboard.

4. Type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes.

5. Hit "Enter" on the keyboard.