Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Not a single topic on GamePro dying? Really?

135

Posts

  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Holy shit, I'm reading a retrospective on gamepro, and I had no idea that Gamepro actually started the "You can't spell ignorance without IGN" joke in an issue of LamePro (where they actually referred to a fictional (but obvious parody) online supersite GNO - 'You can't spell IGNorance without GNO!')
    TSR, I think that's not an accurate fact and they were just referencing the joke that was already seen frequently on message boards. I think I have that issue, the last one I bought (April 2003).

    Pokemon X | Buy Pokemon X (US Version) for Nintendo 3DS (3DS)>
    NNID: RockinX. 3DS FC: 2148-9166-6811. In-game name: アルヘニス. SV: 2746
    Free flawless Dittos
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote:
    Holy shit, I'm reading a retrospective on gamepro, and I had no idea that Gamepro actually started the "You can't spell ignorance without IGN" joke in an issue of LamePro (where they actually referred to a fictional (but obvious parody) online supersite GNO - 'You can't spell IGNorance without GNO!')
    TSR, I think that's not an accurate fact and they were just referencing the joke that was already seen frequently on message boards. I think I have that issue, the last one I bought (April 2003).

    I don't remember that being a popular phrase until much, much later. During the early 2000's - pretty much prior to them changing their logo - IGN was pretty respectable.

  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Yep, GamePro went respecatable about a year or two ago. Didn't help them that the rest of their run they were the worst US gaming magazine.

    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Holy shit, I'm reading a retrospective on gamepro, and I had no idea that Gamepro actually started the "You can't spell ignorance without IGN" joke in an issue of LamePro (where they actually referred to a fictional (but obvious parody) online supersite GNO - 'You can't spell IGNorance without GNO!')
    TSR, I think that's not an accurate fact and they were just referencing the joke that was already seen frequently on different message boards, I remember reading it and laughing because I had already read "you can't spell ignorance without IGN" here on the forums. I have that issue, the last one I bought (April 2003).
    RockinX wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:
    I was surprised but not diappointed. I had subscriptions to ever game mag I could get and GamePro was shit. Shit in the bad sense. It started damn good and turn to corporate ass kissing for favours way way too early in it's life cycle. The reviews were a joke. By 2000, the thing was an embarassment.
    I'm not American, but I used to buy Gamepro in 1998, and l was surprised to see that people actually kept sending letters to them, getting exposed to being treated like crap because in the fan mail section because the editors seemed to act like they were the most badass of the badass (but I think they didn't do it all the time, I remember that they were apologizing to Jaguar fans because they had previously said that the Jaguar was dead, but at the time of the apology, some new games were going to come out). Besides that, it was a pretty cool magazine but my main reason for buying it was Lamepro, that was an awesome section. Or maybe I liked the non-April issues because it was written in English and I had a small bias towards English reading material at the time.

    BTW, is this picture a 'shop?

    Aeris_Protip_-_UncleBastard.jpg

    It probably isn't a shop, but remember: ProTips weren't limited to just reviews. Their game guides were riddled with ProTips. I don't have that issue in question, but it could have very easily come from a guide to FFVII.

    Way to spoil the events of a game, lol.

    Pokemon X | Buy Pokemon X (US Version) for Nintendo 3DS (3DS)>
    NNID: RockinX. 3DS FC: 2148-9166-6811. In-game name: アルヘニス. SV: 2746
    Free flawless Dittos
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I could very well be thinking of another 90s era gaming mag, but it seemed like Dragon Ball was always on the cover every time I saw it on the magazine rack. I recall thinking to myself "Just how many fucking DBZ games are there?"

  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote:
    Way to spoil the events of a game, lol.

    If you don't want your game spoiled, don't read a guide.

  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote:
    I could very well be thinking of another 90s era gaming mag, but it seemed like Dragon Ball was always on the cover every time I saw it on the magazine rack. I recall thinking to myself "Just how many fucking DBZ games are there?"

    Too many

  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    and nothing of value was lost.



    Gamepro was always the retarded kid who lived next door to Electronic Gaming Monthly.

  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote:
    and nothing of value was lost.



    Gamepro was always the retarded kid who lived next door to Electronic Gaming Monthly.

    I cut my goddamn fingers, this post is so edgy.

  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote:
    RockinX wrote:
    Way to spoil the events of a game, lol.

    If you don't want your game spoiled, don't read a guide.

    There are guides that do a good job not spoiling the game for you.

    Or are there? I don't read FAQs very often; the few exceptions were Mother 3's translation guide and Tingle's (because it's basically unbearable without a price guide).

    Oh yeah, I hated that Boba Fatt guy because he gave a 3.5 or 4 to Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon and I think there were a few other low scores that bothered me, but none came close to the Goemon review. He also said that the opening's lack of English vocals would be a bother to Western players, but I found it very awesome because I watched Dragon Ball Z at the time; the similar intros and the humor of the lyrics were some of the things that appealed to me the most about the game.

    Pokemon X | Buy Pokemon X (US Version) for Nintendo 3DS (3DS)>
    NNID: RockinX. 3DS FC: 2148-9166-6811. In-game name: アルヘニス. SV: 2746
    Free flawless Dittos
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    I never had any strong opinions about any other editor besides Scary Larry (whom I loved), but over on the EGM side I remember thinking Sushi X was an elitist, and that Quarterman likely browsed the same BBSes I did haha

  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote:
    I was a Nintendo Power man

    PC Gamer

    11793-1.png
    Spoiler:
  • badger2dbadger2d San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I read every issue of GamePro for a couple years as a kid...probably '92-'94, approx.

    I didn't actually own any consoles, nor in fact was there even a TV in my parents' house. The games I saw in GamePro, I could only play occasionally at friends' places. So for me it was just video game porn, a chance to admire screenshots and descriptions of pleasures that I wasn't yet able to possess for myself. I suppose any other video game magazine would've fit the bill just as well, but I happened to land on GamePro.

    badger2d on
    Blizzard: Symphony #1704
    Steam: badger2d
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    GamePro was pro Genesis anyways so you know they sucked and had bad art. If magazines had music that would have sucked too.

    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Zhu-Li, do the thing! Registered User regular
    I can't really speak to how it was over the last decade, but in the 90s, Gamepro was awful.

    I remember distinctly the issue that put Street Fighter III on the cover... in the early 90s. Four or five years before it was even announced, much less released. The "story" was just random speculation on what they'd like to see in the game.

    Even as a young 'un I knew that was a shitty, shitty ploy.

    3DS: 0344-9335-6762
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Holy cow, are we talking Nintendo Power in here? *nerd snort*

    The Ninja Gaiden 2 issue showed you how to make a ninja mask out of a square piece of fabric. I soon after discovered that a big square of fabric is more expensive then you think it is.

    The Final Fantasy 1 issue was my bible as a kid, I traced the artwork in that one to the point that entire pages were ruined.

    Hurray nostalgia!

    Caveman Paws on
  • ArchonexArchonex Registered User
    Tips and Tricks was infinitely better until they started taking all the cool stuff out of their magazines.

    Gamepro was usually unreliable in terms of their reviews, and was more of a way for major league game designers to peddle their games. Sort of like an early era IGN.

    Not too sad to see them go, all in all.

  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Always been a Nintendo Power man. I do think they've turned it into something good-- I mean, it was a blast growing up, but then there was sort of a dull period, then they revamped.

    I had nearly every issue until just recently... working on getting the rest back.

    About GamePro: any word if this affects the German GamePro?

    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Oh man now they'll never do a reboot of their superhero comic

    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    I guess it's kind of a bummer, but honestly the most surprising thing to me is that Gamepro still existed. I figured they had gone under years ago.

    Be excellent to each other you stupid cunts.
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote:
    and nothing of value was lost.



    Gamepro was always the retarded kid who lived next door to Electronic Gaming Monthly.


    I cut my goddamn fingers, this post is so edgy.

    Data.. take us to Snark factor 10.

    but you are right I was a little hard on gamepro, I know I read it a fair bit when I was 12, I think I liked gamepro comic the most. To its credit it wasn't that gaming magazine that came out around the time Maxim first started... I forget its name but it was like the spike TV video game awards in print.

  • TurkeyTurkey Registered User regular
    I never had a subscription to GamePro, but whenever I'd see a new issue at the grocery store I'd grab it. It was never my favorite magazine, but I loved a lot of the goofy stuff like SwatPro and the cartoon stuff.

    That said, I felt worse when the Official Dreamcast Magazine died.

    I don't get why GamePro didn't establish an online presence. That seemed to work for Cracked...

    zkVyf.png
  • DeadfallDeadfall Registered User regular
    Oh man, how bad is it that I've had a subscription to GamePro for like 20 years?

    My mother got it for me for Christmas every year. I liked it. I guess it was kind of a nostalgia thing with me. I liked the layout, the personalities. Eh, I'll miss it.

    BKqtjKy.jpg
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Turkey wrote:
    I don't get why GamePro didn't establish an online presence. That seemed to work for Cracked...

    What's even stranger is that Gamepro was one of the first magazines that I can remember being online. Compuserve Go GamePro, launched in like 1994 or 1995. Kinda weird how they fell off big time online.

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Turkey wrote:
    I don't get why GamePro didn't establish an online presence. That seemed to work for Cracked...

    Becvause their reviews tended to max out at 5 or 6 sentences.

  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Zhu-Li, do the thing! Registered User regular
    Turkey wrote:
    I don't get why GamePro didn't establish an online presence. That seemed to work for Cracked...

    What's even stranger is that Gamepro was one of the first magazines that I can remember being online. Compuserve Go GamePro, launched in like 1994 or 1995. Kinda weird how they fell off big time online.

    I think you just hit on the answer.

    3DS: 0344-9335-6762
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    I haven't read a GamePro in a decade, probably. But it's sad to hear they're gone.

    419256_10150651581260864_1554080121_n.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Pfft, forget the haters spewing nonsense about how print is dead, or nobody cares.

    The golden age of gaming was the 90's and maybe briefly the early 2000's. At least it was for me. I remember when I was 7, and I had broken my wrist, and while I waited in the ER I saw a kid reading a GamePro magazine. I never realized people actually made magazines about video games! After that, I religiously bought every single one I could find. GamePro. GameFan. Nintendo Power. EGM. Official Playstation Magazine. Anything I could get my hands on. Gaming was the center of my little world, and it felt unstoppable.

    The internet can't imitate the experience of cracking open a new issue, wanting to know what was on the front cover, reading about tips and tricks, previews, reviews...It was like opening a treasure box.

    JKKaAGp.png
  • CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User
    I was sad when Game Players died.

  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I think the reason why most people didn't post about it is that they thought it had died a long time ago.

    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Registered User regular
    Can't say I'm sorry to see them go, was never a fan of the magazine. I just hope the people that worked for Gamepro come out of this ok.

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks License Number 137596Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    GamePro was pro Genesis anyways so you know they sucked and had bad art.

    What's it like having horrible opinions? Genesis Does what Nintendon't.

    GamePro was one of those things that everyone thought was fantastic in the 90s, but nowadays have been completely surpassed by other, better things. Like acid washed jeans, Surge Cola, ridiculous console war marketing slogans (see above), bowl cuts, or FMV games.

    I don't care how much nostalgia you can conjure up from your golden age (and, to be fair, GamePro in its golden age was pretty good), once you start modifying your review scores to suit your biggest advertisers and then graduate into taking actual cash bribes from a company to lower review scores for their competitor's games, you're basically written off as garbage and are better off dead.

    SmokeStacks on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote:
    RockinX wrote:
    Way to spoil the events of a game, lol.

    If you don't want your game spoiled, don't read a guide.

    Well actually, the FF7 game guide that goes for ungodly amounts of money is so valued precisely because it is a fully comprehensive guide that manages to also be completely spoiler-free.

    optimusighsig.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    okay I KNOW we aren't talkin shit about surge soda on here
    that's unacceptable

    3DS - 3239-3347-2159
    XB1/360 - Local H Jay
  • PentPent Registered User regular
    PCXL was way more of a tragedy, but still it's inevitable for dead tree publications

    :winky:
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Dirty wrote:
    RockinX wrote:
    Way to spoil the events of a game, lol.

    If you don't want your game spoiled, don't read a guide.

    Well actually, the FF7 game guide that goes for ungodly amounts of money is so valued precisely because it is a fully comprehensive guide that manages to also be completely spoiler-free.

    Is this the Versus Guide

    Because that was excellent, as were the RE2/Nemesis guides

    CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

    3DS: 2251-4432-9039

    c9PXgFo.jpg
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    GamePro was pro Genesis anyways so you know they sucked and had bad art. If magazines had music that would have sucked too.

    The blast processing got in the way of the sound chip, bro. Don't be so harsh.

    Also, that Aeris tip is not only a spoiler, but wrong.

    DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Just to be honest, I remember always thinking Gamepro was the worst game magazine by a fair margin, at least back when I gave any thought at all to game magazines. Still, it's a shame to see people lose their jobs.

    PSN: Toids42
    steam_sig.png
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Dirty wrote:
    RockinX wrote:
    Way to spoil the events of a game, lol.

    If you don't want your game spoiled, don't read a guide.

    Well actually, the FF7 game guide that goes for ungodly amounts of money is so valued precisely because it is a fully comprehensive guide that manages to also be completely spoiler-free.

    Ungodly amounts of money you say? Which guide is this? I have two (one with a black background that came out before the game was released in America, and one with a white background that came out after/during; I considered the black background one to be better despite it's translation not always matching the final release).

    ae26.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.