As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[South Park: The Stick of Truth] Sequel announced by Ubisoft SanFran

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XB1 and PS4 versions?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    XB1 and PS4 versions?

That's a good point. But, why would they delay current gen for it?

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    A buggy Obsidian game?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I know this joke would have been made

At this point. No, though. Compared to other Obs titles there's actually less hinting at buggyness than even on DS3.

Rather I would say this is Matt and Trey syndrome. Which actually makes me more worried than potential bugs. Changing up things in video games doesn't exactly always mean a better game in the end.
    Nah. The interviews with those guys always make it sound like they're kind of exasperated at how long this is taking. Either UbiSoft is looking at this and thinking "ugh, doesn't appeal to wide enough audience" or it's a QA issue or something else like that.

I'd be more concerned that the publisher is toning shit down or something. Makes me wish Deep Silver could have gotten this, too.

XB1 and PS4 versions?

You know, it's weird that it comes out the same month as Dark Souls II.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited November 2013
    jdarksun wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    A buggy Obsidian game?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I know this joke would have been made

At this point. No, though. Compared to other Obs titles there's actually less hinting at buggyness than even on DS3.

Rather I would say this is Matt and Trey syndrome. Which actually makes me more worried than potential bugs. Changing up things in video games doesn't exactly always mean a better game in the end.
    Nah. The interviews with those guys always make it sound like they're kind of exasperated at how long this is taking.

Toning down is also a possibility. What I'm refering to is Matt and Trey being notorious for this. Which is nice, but doesn't work that well in game development (They already said they had to tone themselves down). While I don't doubt they're exhausted I think it was meant more as a joke.

The other reason I think its Matt and Trey related is because they are the only who would hold the power to delay the game for several months. I doubt Ubisoft would care THAT much ( Especially since its not an internal project) and the game is getting less lucrative now since development costs.

And whatever QA issue it has, a 3 month delay doesn't sound like it. At least not only it.

C2B on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    XB1 and PS4 versions?

Honestly, this makes sense to me.

The game was planned to be release in December. After the new consoles launched. Lots and lots of people will be buying all the new and shiny. I can certainly see the logic in not releasing a game during that time. Much like releasing an MMO at the same time WoW releases an expansion.

Since the game was already coming out on PC I'd imagine porting to the PS4/Xbone wouldn't be too much of a chore. And releasing in March? There'll probably be a pretty significant lull among next-gen game releases during that time (if history is an indicator).

Either which way, the constant delays in this are really starting to wear on me. If they keep it up I am liable to just forget the whole thing altogether until I randomly come across it one day for $20 and say, "Oooh right, this came out."

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    It's also possible that Ubisoft is delaying for some nebulous financial reasons. They might have looked at their 2014 lineup and decided to delay some of their bigger titles until then or something.

2013 Prime Omeganaut
    Well, they delayed Watch_Dogs, The Crew and South Park. My guess is to avoid the crowded season of current and next-gen releases.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    The game was planned to be release in December. After the new consoles launched. Lots and lots of people will be buying all the new and shiny. I can certainly see the logic in not releasing a game during that time.
    I hadn't fully considered that. I bet you're right, Ubi wants next-gen ports. And I bet that was what that "argh!" doodle/tweet was about a month or so ago.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    i think this decision was made fairly recently. if it had been made months ago, or even weeks ago, it would have been included in the same financial report brought us the news of Watch_Dogs being delayed. i'd say they were still hoping that they could make a December release but the closer it got the more they realised that it just wasn't going to happen.

the extra time might also give them a chance to release next-gen versions of the game at the same time too, so i wouldn't be surprised if that was factored into the decision.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    XB1 and PS4 versions?

Something something rayman legends

steam_sig.png
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    i think this decision was made fairly recently. if it had been made months ago, or even weeks ago, it would have been included in the same financial report brought us the news of Watch_Dogs being delayed. i'd say they were still hoping that they could make a December release but the closer it got the more they realised that it just wasn't going to happen.

the extra time might also give them a chance to release next-gen versions of the game at the same time too, so i wouldn't be surprised if that was factored into the decision.

Yeah, I'm betting they had a hard stage-gate of remaining bugs/testing completeness that they didn't hit, so at that point you move to march and plan to release Xbone/PS4 versions.

edited November 2013
    I'm still not sure what exactly could be the reason

- I doubt its bugs. (Due to specifics of the development process and Ubisoft isn't exactly TOP 1 company to care about it)

- Considering what I know about Obsidian's tech 3 months for a next-gen port seems really short. They did work on a next-gen game before on it, but that didn't get far and stopped early. They are also retiring the engine after this game.

I still do think Matt and Trey's obsessivnes could play a role in the delay (and I'm a bit surprised nobody else considers this as Matt and Trey themselves said they had to tone down for a video game ) or possible voice localization.

In the end the delay is just really weird for me. Am excited for a possible post-mortem in the future that sheds some light on it.

C2B on
    Uplay integration. :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Wasn't looking at this game until I saw the most recent video. I was thinking, "Okay, they're playing a clip from the show. When will they show the game?"

Needless to say, I'm impressed.

Well, that's nice

3ETG0.jpg

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    That's genius. I should really pick up the other stick of truth figures. Grabbed cartman already, but he needs his paladin!

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    They call it the Brack Friday Bunduru

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Oh man I watched that episode last night, it was all kinds of good (and a two parter!).

They even made fun of themselves at one point:

(Found the clip)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited November 2013
    Or Japan. Or France. :P

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Oh man I watched that episode last night, it was all kinds of good (and a two parter!).

They even made fun of themselves at one point:

(Found the clip)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

I laughed so freaking hard at that part. It was so obvious they were referring to Stick of Truth there :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    I really hope the next episode ends with the kids actually being first in line on black friday, only to find out that both systems have been delayed to march.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Booo....I am honestly pretty bummed about the delay. I guess X:Rebirth is going to have to keep me occupied for a couple months.

camo_sig2.png
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Yeah this delay sucks, it was one of the few games I was looking forward to this holiday. Oh well.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    This is old but I had not seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHKrU-DSMCY

XBL - ArchSilversmith

XBL - ArchSilversmith

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    This game needs to come out. It was my holiday plan :*(

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Mat and Trey were pretty funny in their brief appearance at VGX. "We've got one level that we've kinda finished. And there's another level that we've kinda started work on."

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Is this really just gonna be the last half hour of this thing.

edit: wrong thread

august on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Mat and Trey were pretty funny in their brief appearance at VGX. "We've got one level that we've kinda finished. And there's another level that we've kinda started work on."

Oh is that who it was?

steam_sig.png
    edited December 2013
    Size comparison between Grand Wizard Edition Cartman and regular toy Cartman. Thanks to Tyler Davis.
    rC7q2x1.jpg

C2B on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I liked the recent episodes they've been doing. They're kicking it up a notch this year. Randy as Jon Snow was just awesome.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Wow. That Cartman is pretty big, huh?

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    He's not fat; he's big-boned!

Aussie Version has unsurprisingly cut content.

Matt Stone and Trey Parker, the creators of South Park, are well known for not pulling their punches. When the MPAA argued that elements of the film based on the animated series were inappropriate, Stone and Parker reacted in ways that introduced more filth. Even the title, South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut was a double-entendre added in after the Association insisted on a change.

So the team's compromise on the Stick of Truth's Alien Probe is not really a surprise.

The entire scenario of graphic, non-consensual alien probes has been removed. In its place, the Board finds:

At several stages throughout the level which involves the player character being abducted and taken aboard an alien spacecraft, text appears onscreen which describes instances of sexual violence. The text includes "aliens forcibly probe your rectum with a dildo-shaped probe", "probe his ass with violent force" and "causing his anal probe to penetrate him over and over".

Rather than compromise on the problematic content, Stone, Parker, the team at Obsidian and the publishers at Ubisoft simply removed it altogether, and make no shame or attempt to hide it. The textual references - even as they describe the inappropriate content of earlier editions - is considered to be "comedic in intent".

But the kicker? The descriptive messages appear on-screen accompanied by a still image of a crying koala and large, red text reading simply: "CENSORED".

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Fuck you, Australia!