As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[South Park: The Stick of Truth] Sequel announced by Ubisoft SanFran

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Reminds me a lot of the Mario & Luigi team rpgs. But you know, grown-up and hilarious.

Well, hilarious anyway. There's nothing grown up about their humour, thank goodness.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Yeah, the gameplay is like Mario & Luigi or Mario RPG. Timed button presses with turn based combat. Except hilarious. I love the part when you pick your name.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Reminds me a lot of the Mario & Luigi team rpgs. But you know, grown-up and hilarious.

Well, hilarious anyway. There's nothing grown up about their humour, thank goodness.

Grown-up as in I wouldn't want my eight year old playing it if I had one.

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Grown-up as in I wouldn't want my eight year old playing it if I had one.

I can guarantee you your not-actually-having 8 year old is making the fart and poop jokes that are in the game.

The phrase you're looking for is "inappropriate humour". :D

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Clearly he just meant adult content, as in the cusswords and all that.

• Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    This looks really good! Hopefully it's not super short.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    What do you mean? That video was the whole game, and it ended on a cliffhanger. Now we just have to wait for the sequel.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    This is hilarious:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/19/5227532/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-censored-in-australia-features-a-crying
    To get around Australia's classification restrictions, Obsidian removed the interactive probing scene, replacing it with text describing the probing scene's actions overtop an image of a crying koala emblazoned with the word "CENSORED." A Ubisoft spokesperson confirmed with Polygon that a total of three minigames were removed from the game in order to meet the board's requirements.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    This is hilarious:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/19/5227532/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-censored-in-australia-features-a-crying
    To get around Australia's classification restrictions, Obsidian removed the interactive probing scene, replacing it with text describing the probing scene's actions overtop an image of a crying koala emblazoned with the word "CENSORED." A Ubisoft spokesperson confirmed with Polygon that a total of three minigames were removed from the game in order to meet the board's requirements.

Oh for fuck sake. :(

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    This is hilarious:

Honestly, I think the koala improves the game. Reminds me of the SP episode where they were going to show Muhammad and Comedy Central chickened out.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Australia is such a shitty place to be if you're a gamer, dear lord.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Well you wont be caught in a mass shooting there either...so that's a decent tradeoff.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Well you wont be caught in a mass shooting there either...so that's a decent tradeoff.

My post was half tongue in cheek. But yeah being riddled with bullets doesn't sound fun.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Comradebot wrote: »
    This is hilarious:

Honestly, I think the koala improves the game. Reminds me of the SP episode where they were going to show Muhammad and Comedy Central chickened out.

I recently saw the pooping out of your mouth episode on a network channel where it had been censored.
    Somehow, it's more disturbing with the scene blacked out where all you can hear is the "Hurk huuuurk gaghh *plop*" then when you could actually see it. Censorship doesn't always kill the joke. On (admittedly rare) occasions, it can help the joke.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    On the other hand, you're more likely to kill yourself (#9 in the leading causes of death in Australia), though you're much less likely to have a stroke.

I'm sure there are other irrelevant stats we can toss around, too.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    see317 wrote: »
    Comradebot wrote: »
    This is hilarious:

I recently saw the pooping out of your mouth episode on a network channel where it had been censored.
    Somehow, it's more disturbing with the scene blacked out where all you can hear is the "Hurk huuuurk gaghh *plop*" then when you could actually see it. Censorship doesn't always kill the joke. On (admittedly rare) occasions, it can help the joke.

The dumb thing is that South Park the show is less censored in Australia than it is in the US, with none of the swearing bleeped out.

One day this country will get get a sane classification board. One day.

Suriko on
  • Options
    ... Why did you link to some horribly cropped and subtitled youtube videos when you could have linked directly to South Park Studios?

The first episode starts here: http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s17e07-black-friday

It's a great trilogy.
    Holy god that's funny. It even ends with a jab at Stick of Truth.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    pft this looks like a shit $20 game

or better yet $10 from ios appstore

i wont pay another cent what a ripoff

I know, it's like shitty paper cutouts and the animation is all crappy.

I'd pay a hundred dollars to play this game. Check that, a million dollars. Check that, zero dollars.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    pft this looks like a shit $20 game

or better yet $10 from ios appstore

i wont pay another cent what a ripoff

I know, it's like shitty paper cutouts and the animation is all crappy.

I'd pay a hundred dollars to play this game. Check that, a million dollars. Check that, zero dollars.

the hell is up with that avatar...

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Brad from Giant Bomb played the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RY0opa7hpI

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Don't read the Youtube comments.

You already knew that but don't do it anyway.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'm pretty happy with everything I've seen today

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I can't help feeling Obsidian will still get fucked over in some way. Like taking a possible sequel away from Obsidian or them generally acting like Obsidian isn't responsible for this games quality.

At least the whole *Well the game was alright last year, but we turned it great* and Jordan Thomas implying that he somehow saved the gameplay make me nervous.

I'm probably paranoid and reading waay too much into things, but.... it's Obsidian.

C2B on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Censored? Aww shit, looks like I'm going to have to get a US member to help me buy the game :(

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    C2B wrote: »
    I can't help feeling Obsidian will still get fucked over in some way. Like taking a possible sequel away from Obsidian or them generally acting like Obsidian isn't responsible for this games quality.

At least the whole *Well the game was alright last year, but we turned it great* and Jordan Thomas implying that he somehow saved the gameplay make me nervous.

I'm probably paranoid and reading waay too much into things, but.... it's Obsidian.
    What's this Jordan Thomas stuff?

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    C2B wrote: »

What's this Jordan Thomas stuff?

Apparently Ubisoft brought Jordan Thomas (Thief: Deadly Shadows, Bioshock II and Infinite) on as a consultant/supervisor or something. In an interview he mentions on the question what he worked on in the game that when he came on while the story was fine the gameplay was still rough around the edges. Which may very well be as THQ quite possibly had to rush the game because of their finances. But, considering the question I got kind of a negative vibe.

Ofc, it's harmless and I'm most definitly getting suspicious where there is no reason to.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I got mad love for Obsidian, especially from the Black Isle days, but they need a Jordan Thomas to make sure their polish is good. Otherwise we get Alpha Protocol quality gameplay.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I got mad love for Obsidian, especially from the Black Isle days, but they need a Jordan Thomas to make sure their polish is good. Otherwise we get Alpha Protocol quality gameplay.

Nope. Because that isn't even remotly the same situation. Also how exactly is Jordan Thomas a rpg gameplay god? We're talking about the Lead Designer of Deadly Shadows here.

Sorry, no. If the gameplay in this is good it's NOT because of Jordan Thomas game design genius. Least of all in the last year of production.

As in a designer who supports them and gets them the freedom/help they need to make the game the best possible it can be?

Absolutly. which is what I hope his role was. If he's the one responsible for the extra time I'm really grateful to him.

C2B on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure if the game was rough around any edges when it got to Ubisoft it wasn't because Obsidian needed help but rather because they needed time.

• Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    I'm realizing, appreciatively, that this is actually one of the very few mainstream, video game "auteur"-driven experiences we're likely to see in this age. Matt and Trey have enormous amounts of money and, to a relevant extent, power. The game exists because they chose to give their talent to it. They can't be bullied into producing more. It can't be made into an annual production cycle. It probably won't ever see a sequel because I doubt if Matt and Trey will ever feel the need to make one.

It's incredibly odd that we got to a place of, potentially, some genuine artistic integrity due to the fact that this is a licensed video game spin-off from a cartoon with dirty jokes.

• Options
    Gamesradar has a nice preview detailing what they played instead of your usual impressions.

As such full of spoilers though

http://www.gamesradar.com/11-totally-sweet-things-we-did-south-park-stick-truth/

• Options
    The thing about Obsidian is, I haven't enjoyed any of their games

That alone was the #1 thing making me nervous about this game, and still is, in a way

I'm definitely waiting on reviews, but if they're good, I'll pick this up day one

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular

That alone was the #1 thing making me nervous about this game, and still is, in a way

I'm definitely waiting on reviews, but if they're good, I'll pick this up day one
    I am the opposite, I love pretty much all the Obsidian titles

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Care to elaborate? What did you not like about the games?

If it was the fact that they have a reputation for being buggy, then note that they were buggy because they were given shortened dev cycles by publishers. That isn't an issue with TSOT, which has been cooking for some time.

If it was the fact that they were deep, complex RPGs, then that is a valid issue with TSOT.

• Options

Care to elaborate? What did you not like about the games?

If it was the fact that they have a reputation for being buggy, then note that they were buggy because they were given shortened dev cycles by publishers. That isn't an issue with TSOT, which has been cooking for some time.

If it was the fact that they were deep, complex RPGs, then that is a valid issue with TSOT.

Well, possible just because there have been negatives in gameplay or narrative form also mostly stemming from troubled development cycles. And even then I'd consider the NWN2OC to be a mediocre game in its own right.

It's not exactly impossible to find something that is nagging at you in their previous games.

As for complex RPG systems SP seems to hold its own against at least AP (Probably better balanced as well)

• Options
    I've just never really liked their writing

And the bugginess, yeah

Though as I understand it Matt/Trey handled most/all writing duties on this?

And the delay for polishing makes me hopeful about less bugs

I've only played three Obsidian games (KOTOR2, Fallout: New Vegas and Alpha Protocol) and all of them left me severely wanting

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    KotOR 2 was fairly huge a mess story wise due to being rushed out the door and I don't know the whole story with Alpha Protocol but when I played around with a it a bit it was an impressively shitty mess on PC

But you didn't like New Vegas? It did have issues but it always struck me as a big improvement over FO3 in feeling like a Fallout game.

• Options
    Fallout 3 was my first Fallout

So "feeling like a Fallout game" is a really nebulous value that I can't recognize

It felt like a duller Fallout 3

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

So "feeling like a Fallout game" is a really nebulous value that I can't recognize

Oh. Yeah that'd explain it. I'd say go back and play Fallout 1 and 2 but they can be kind of hard to get into due to being super dated. Great games but in a kind of you had to be there way

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Which is interesting, because I thought that Fallout 3 felt like Fallout 2 fanfiction. Fallout: New Vegas, in nearly every important way, was how the franchise was supposed to be. YMMV, of course.

Okay, I loved Liberty Prime in FO3. Who didn't? And the radio stations kicked ass. Story was not terribly credible, though.

I won't argue about Alpha Protocol. I couldn't get through the first level because I hated the mechanics. Again, though, that was the fact that it was rushed out the door, as I recall. One of these days I'll go back to it.