As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[South Park: The Stick of Truth] Sequel announced by Ubisoft SanFran

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Getting a little tired of the "Obsidian games are buggy, unfinished product" meme.

The entire industry is like that, on some level or another. So why do only Obsidian game threads get bogged down in that debate 100% of the time?

Show me on the doll where KotOR 2 touched you.
    This part, here, where the ending should be.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Getting a little tired of the "Obsidian games are buggy, unfinished product" meme.

The entire industry is like that, on some level or another. So why do only Obsidian game threads get bogged down in that debate 100% of the time?

Why, you little minx...

Anyway, it should be noted, was LucasArts's fault for rushing the production schedule, not Obsidian's.

• C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Heir wrote: »
    Man I loved SoT, but like others said, the gameplay was the weakest part. Not sure if that's on Obsidian or someone else, but I really hope it's vastly improved this time.

Heck, I think the only fight I even had remote difficulty on was that Al Gore fight with all the Secret Service guys.

The game was a love letter to fans, but please oh please give some more thought into the game mechanics this time around.

I still believe somewhere around the end the difficulty got massivly toned down. Simply because it makes no sense otherwise.

As it stands players will miss a lot of the bosses attack animation (which are a big point of combat in this game) unless they really, really try to drag the combat out. Which in this game isn't easy. Secondly, most bosses are set up in some way regarding resistances and such. Yet, it doesn't matter at all because you're easily beating them anyway even on hardcore. Why did they even bother then?

C2B on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Honestly,I think my biggest complaint with SoT was that your character reached end game way too early; on my first playthrough, I easily reached level 15 with a few hours on the clock and had picked up the katana (which was absurdly, game breakingly good) and that was before I rolled into Canada.

Let me tell you: the game becomes far less interesting when you are rolling into endgame with the same equipment and strategies you used for the past 4 hours.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    If you look at the history of Stick of Truth through their developers tweets and various things at the time, they made tons and tons of changes to the game as it progressed, more-so than your normal development, which is just par for the course.

You could tell that they had a lot planned that was scrapped. The original game was supposed to be a Skyrim type setup and the original script for it was something like 500 pages, and then after all the bullshit Ubisoft told them that the original scope was too big, buuuuut they also had to get it released. This is the curse of game dev, scope and feature creep.

So what we ended up with was a great comedy story (as usual from South Park Studios) but really diluted gameplay to meet the shipment window that Ubisoft wanted. Once I treated SoT like an interactive TV show instead of an RPG, it was much better for me and I was very satisfied with it.

I'm super stoked for Fractured but Whole (heh) and I expect it to be a holiday game next year that I will be grabbing on day one.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

Why, you little minx...

Anyway, it should be noted, was LucasArts's fault for rushing the production schedule, not Obsidian's.

And Sega's fault for rushing Alpha Protocol, and Bethesda for rushing New Vegas, and...

You can only use that excuse too many times before people start looking at you as the problem

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Alpha Protocol was amazing. Buggy, but amazing. Literally the poster child of differing paths and 'your choices actually fucking matter'.

New Vegas was a better game than Fallout 3 and the majority of bugs were engine bugs that also existed in Fallout 3.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //

Why, you little minx...

And Sega's fault for rushing Alpha Protocol, and Bethesda for rushing New Vegas, and...

You can only use that excuse too many times before people start looking at you as the problem

Can't speak for Alpha Protocol; bought it, but the gameplay wasn't my thing.

New Vegas was actually less buggy than FO3 for me; bonus feature: it actually had an ending. Several, in fact! Dungeon Siege 3 was completely bug free, as far as I can tell. As far as I can tell, Pillars of Eternity has no more and no less bugs than any similar western RPG of its size and complexity. NWN2 had some bugs, but it had a lot of baggage going in... (biggest bug: Based On Bastardized 3.5 Edition D&D).

This thing you're saying about Obsidian. It isn't true. It is a meme that critics decided on after KotOR 2 and have been too lazy to give a second thought to.

edited June 2015
    I'm only going on the Obsidian games I've played

Of the four I've played, they've all been buggy as hell

And only one was worth actually getting through the gameplay, and it was due to writing that was done by Trey Parker and Matt Stone

It's not just buggy, I think they just make bad games as well

South Park played fine enough but like everyone here has said the combat is way too easily exploitable and thus making it Costume Quest-levels of "My First RPG"

UnbreakableVow on
    I'm only going on the Obsidian games I've played

Of the four I've played, they've all been buggy as hell

And only one was worth actually getting through the gameplay, and it was due to writing that was done by Trey Parker and Matt Stone

It's not just buggy, I think they just make bad games as well

South Park played fine enough but like everyone here has said the combat is way too easily exploitable and thus making it Costume Quest-levels of "My First RPG"

Ah, the meat of the issue. Obsidian games just aren't your thing.

I didn't enjoy Alpha Protocol, but I hesitate to call it a bad game, because I've read a lot about how far ahead of its time some of its gameplay elements were.

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular

In fairness, I think a lot of people think Obsidian games are really good despite being, well....buggy and unfinished.

Bethesda gets a lot of shit too, "We'll wait for them to release the game so the community can fix it" and such, and it's not exactly unearned either.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I hope the battle system and upgrades are more fleshed out. I remember Stick of Truth having a lot of ridiculous patch combinations that resulted in dealing out tons of damage and regaining tons of HP. The game practically played itself at that point. Shit like inflict bleed + heal whenever enemy takes damage + heal whenever you heal.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I hope the battle system and upgrades are more fleshed out. I remember Stick of Truth having a lot of ridiculous patch combinations that resulted in dealing out tons of damage and regaining tons of HP. The game practically played itself at that point. Shit like inflict bleed + heal whenever enemy takes damage + heal whenever you heal.

Yeah the status effects were insanely powerful, especially when you got gear that buffed them. Stuff like bleed and burn could decimate just about anything in a few turns. And then you had characters like, I want to say Cartman, who could inflict those effects on the entire enemy party in one attack. (or maybe I am thinking of the Jew class, which I know could do it)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    Any word yet on the PS4/Xbox One port of The Stick of Truth. Haven't played it yet, because of the censorship kerfuffle in German-language territories (which inadvertently rendered all physcial copies of the PC version useless, because it delayed the STEAM release by a month). I mean I could pick it up from the current Steam sale for like 20 bucks, but I'd really rather not. I'd be much more inclined to get it on PS4 at a similar price.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    The Jew class was absurdly overpowered. Circumscythe devastated enemies early on then you get abilities like the plague that inflicted statuses on all enemies and was ridiculously easy to pull off. Status effects were so overpowered.

I don't think there was a single enemy immune.

Invisible on
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    I don't think there was a single enemy immune.

Sparrow Prince was immune to everything. :)

edited June 2015

And again, good point that that excuse was rarely to never actually used by Obsidian. In fact quite the opposite, they would agree with you and have gone back to talk about what they could've done better.

Most complaints are actually originated by fans when more information about development came known.

Now the complaint that they should have done more to avoid issues is justified and true.

But, contractor realities and fan excpectations don't make it easy. For example Dungeon Siege III, they took care of avoiding bugs and not overscope, but many fans complained that that *Obsidian spark* was missing.

Nonetheless, Obsidian does have to shoulder a lot of blame and could have done things better. Ofc.

C2B on
    edited June 2015
    South Park is a special case in any case though, because of Matt and Trey's own learning curve and the fact that it was a comedy game which needed an entirly different approach, especially as an rpg, than most other games.

On a related note a video where Matt MacLean talks exactly about that. Really interesting watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulDQ3oMR3vg

C2B on
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Man I am 100% on board for another south Park game. I only hope this new one has some actual post game content. There was nothing to do after beating the story. I wanted at least another Al Gore fight, damn it! :P

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Man I am 100% on board for another south Park game. I only hope this new one has some actual post game content. There was nothing to do after beating the story. I wanted at least another Al Gore fight, damn it! :P

You need to buy three carbon credits to unlock the third Al Gore fight.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Resurrected this thread since the game came out cuz I 'member.

New combat system is classy, and the car joke in the tutorial is up there with Wayne's World.

edit: Cartman's Journal is.....something.

TexiKen on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    they really bombed on the humor this time . i've been watching some playthroughs and they dropped all pretense of funny, just going for intensely gross and offensive as they can get. it's absolutely awful.

I liked the first but this is a 100% hard pass now. I wouldn't even accept it for free

Magic Pink on
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I haven’t watched anything and went in blind. I’m only like an hour in but it seems like more of the same so far.

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Loving the new game. Updated combat feels good. More polish all around. And the jokes are on point. Worth the wait.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
    Totally forgot this was today, and reviews are all pretty positive. I'll definitely pick it up once I knock out a few of the higher profile releases I'm playing right now

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    they really bombed on the humor this time . i've been watching some playthroughs and they dropped all pretense of funny, just going for intensely gross and offensive as they can get. it's absolutely awful.

I liked the first but this is a 100% hard pass now. I wouldn't even accept it for free

Completely disagree. This feels just like the first game in terms of humor. The improved combat just makes it that much more enjoyable an experience.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I'd love to play but Amazon decided to delay my pre-order that I made over a year ago -_-

Edit: Further investigation it looks like literally none of the physical PC versions shipped *anywhere*. Way to fuck this up Ubisoft.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Got a PS4 Stick of Truth code with my copy. Have it on 360 so I don't need it. Anyone else wants it, let me know.

EDIT: Taken.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen

Did Obsidian come back for this, or is it all Ubisoft now?

It's all Ubisoft now, thankfully

Finished the first night. This combat is so nice. The only part I hate is not being able to decide on which three powers I want to use in combat.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    The only part I hate is not being able to decide on which three powers I want to use in combat.

Don't worry, there'll be plenty more powers coming.

You will get to start choosing your powers before combat though if you haven't unlocked that already, so there will be a strategic element coming into play down the road.

"Thankfully?"

Obsidian is pretty much the only reason I played the first one.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

"Thankfully?"

You forget, UnbreakableVow is terrible opinions made flesh. :p

That said while Obsidian did a fine job on the first game all indications are that the combat in this one is better.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    ED! wrote: »

Completely disagree. This feels just like the first game in terms of humor. The improved combat just makes it that much more enjoyable an experience.

Humor is incredibly subjective, so I can totally see one person thinking it bombed and another person thinking its a great as the first one. I personally think the humor is weaker than the first one, but its still amusing to me.

I do think the gameplay is better than the first one, though.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
    cloudeagle wrote: »

"Thankfully?"

That said while Obsidian did a fine job on the first game all indications are that the combat in this one is better.

Combat was the weakest element of the first one, for sure.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    BTW if anyone needs a stick of truth key, let me know, as I got one with preorder

cloudeagle wrote: »

"Thankfully?"

Combat was the weakest element of the first one, for sure.

And performance, which is reportedly much better in this one

Obsidian didn't write the first game, that was all Parker and Stone, so Obsidian played the role of "makes buggy games" like they always do with none of their writing to offset it and make them worth keeping around

I like how this one just lets attacks look crazy because it’s all the kids imagination anyway.

• chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

At some point it became cool to shit on South Park. I definitely don't enjoy it as much as I used to, but I don't feel like the humour has really diverged from what it's always been. I'm enjoying the new combat system very much.