As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gameboy Micro, Accessories?

TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
I have recently purchased a Gameboy Micro in the lovely Famicom motif, however I am at a loss as to what I can do with it to keep it in the best condition other then wiping it down after every use (tedious).

For any of you that already own a Gameboy Micro, do you have any suggestions as to carrying cases, protective covers, or any other thing to improve one's interaction with it?

Thanks

steam_sig.png
Malkor wrote: »
Rolo wrote: »
opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
Bama wrote: »
Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
FCD wrote: »
Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
Trenog on

• DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i use the pullstring case it came with

Deusfaux on
  • TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    i use the pullstring case it came with

It is a really nice case. I do plan on using that but I dislike that I'm going to need to wipe the system down very often to keep it shiny. I used to use my DS for GBA games but I figured that with me wanting to get FFV and FFVI that I should get something a bit more portable for my games. Plus, $50CAD for the system is a bargain compared to the conventional $100CAD that I've seen it around for.

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png

makes you stronger

• MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hori has a couple of cases:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1a-49-en-70-1201.html
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1a-49-en-70-yrt.html

I've personally got a massive plastic case that I picked up for a few dollars. It stores the Micro and a few games, and is great for keeping the micro safe when I chuck it in my bag. The Hori cases look nicer, though.

I've got a generic face-plate on mine (that came with the Micro). Since it's easily replaceable, I don't really worry if it ends up with some superficial marks on the face-plate.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    gbm2rw8.jpg

This is the case I use. Where it came from, I have no idea. It was a Christmas Gift from my girlfriend.

gbmaw6.jpg

Space inside for one game and the system itself. As big as it needs to be without going nuts. Protects well, though, this being said, my screen is still scratched to all hell, mostly because I'm overanal about wiping the screen off. And I dare not use the extra two face plates that come with it as they're not replaceable. Will be ordering one of each of the three colors from Nintendo's site soon.

gbm3xd4.jpg

The rear, which has a place to connect the included lanyard, as well as a belt loop, which I especially use, right next to my RAZR in it's case and my iPod, all on my belt. I feel like Batman or something.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Pretty sure you can buy those invisible skins from various websites to cover the Micro.

DarkPrimus on
  • chickenmaniachickenmania Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    How much do these things go for nowadays in the US, anyway? I was thinking of maybe picking one up for play between classes.

chickenmania on
    Nerds.
    edited February 2007
    How much do these things go for nowadays in the US, anyway? I was thinking of maybe picking one up for play between classes.

I picked mine up at my CompUSA. A fellow employee picked up our last one for $40. I paid $50 for me a few months ago.

They vary. I've seen them for $50 at KMart. Expect $50-$70.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you have a Toys R Us near you definitely check them out, they're having a clearance on three different GBA Micro cases. 70 cents each.

I just tried to find pics on their website and Google image search and failed, so I'll try to describe them. One is a set of three "sox" in different colors. They're basically socks...elastically cotton...made for a GBA Micro. There's also a playthrough case, but I don't like it because it blocks everything except the screen, d-pad, and B+A buttons. The third one is a hard (fake) leather case that fits the Micro really snuggly.

I like that one a lot, I keep my Micro in it at all times now when I'm not playing it. The socks are good for when I bring it out of the house with me, and the playthrough I never use. It's worth picking them all up at least just to check them out at 70 cents a piece.

I picked mine up at my CompUSA. A fellow employee picked up our last one for $40. I paid $50 for me a few months ago.

They're $35 new at TRU, if they have any. I got the last one at the one I go to a couple weeks ago.

bruin on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I go commando with my Micro.

:winky:

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited February 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    If you have a Toys R Us near you definitely check them out, they're having a clearance on three different GBA Micro cases. 70 cents each.

I just tried to find pics on their website and Google image search and failed, so I'll try to describe them. One is a set of three "sox" in different colors. They're basically socks...elastically cotton...made for a GBA Micro. There's also a playthrough case, but I don't like it because it blocks everything except the screen, d-pad, and B+A buttons. The third one is a hard (fake) leather case that fits the Micro really snuggly.

I like that one a lot, I keep my Micro in it at all times now when I'm not playing it. The socks are good for when I bring it out of the house with me, and the playthrough I never use. It's worth picking them all up at least just to check them out at 70 cents a piece.

They're $35 new at TRU, if they have any. I got the last one at the one I go to a couple weeks ago.

I was very close to buying all three of those cases for the hell of it, but I have iPod Sox I can use if need be, the playthough case is garbage like you said, and I didn't see that third case.

I love the one I have though.

Anyone know where one can find third-party faceplates that aren't $5 a pop?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited February 2007
    I ordered a black faceplate from Nintendo to match my black Micro (comes with a silver faceplate) and it came today. Looks sexy as fuck. Seriously, this may be my favorite piece of gaming hardware ever.

bruin on
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just have several faceplates. I ordered an (unofficial) black faceplate in the style of the Famicom system to go with my Black Micro. I got five of the things for $4. If one gets scratched, I can just swap it out for another. Perfect. Cheap solution for me. I only carry one game at any given time anyway.

For anyone wondering what that style looks like:
    micro2.jpg
    micro4.jpg

I love it. Sexy as fuck.

EDIT: Image tags.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
    edited February 2007
    I hate Nintendo for selling the faceplates at $5 a piece.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just have several faceplates. I ordered an (unofficial) black faceplate in the style of the Famicom system to go with my Black Micro. I got five of the things for $4. If one gets scratched, I can just swap it out for another. Perfect. Cheap solution for me. I only carry one game at any given time anyway.

For anyone wondering what that style looks like:
    micro2.jpg
    micro4.jpg

I love it. Sexy as fuck.

EDIT: Image tags.

The question is, where can you order these faceplates you speak of?

oldmanken on
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't know any particular store that sells them, I got mine off ebay by simply searching for Game Boy Micro faceplates. I imagine they're the cheap 3rd party stuff churned out from Korea or somewhere that you always see on ebay, but I really can't see a difference in quality between these and the official ones.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wow, people are still playing these? The way I've kept my Game Boy Micro clean in the past six months is by keeping it in the closet. It's a great piece of technology, don't get me wrong, but with the DS Lite around it's hard to justify its use. It might make a really cool belt buckle, though!

JR

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ArugulaZ wrote: »
    Wow, people are still playing these? The way I've kept my Game Boy Micro clean in the past six months is by keeping it in the closet. It's a great piece of technology, don't get me wrong, but with the DS Lite around it's hard to justify its use. It might make a really cool belt buckle, though!

JR

Well, its quite simple. I prefer the smaller size and controls to the ds lite for my gba goodness

Also, for the love of god, stop signing your posts

ronzo on
    edited February 2007
    Sorry, force of habit. None of the people on the other forums I visit seem to get as upset about it, though. O_o

ArugulaZ on
    JR

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sorry, force of habit. None of the people on the other forums I visit seem to get as upset about it, though. O_o

That is because they are inferiors on an inferior board. [/elitism]

DarkPrimus on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Alright, if you plan on interfacing with the Gameboy Player or GBA/SP, you need the Gameboy Micro Game Link cable AND the Gameboy Micro conversion cable. I learned that the hard way by just ordering the conversion cable. It pissed me off cause I already have a GBA link cable.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Gameboy Micro conversion cable.
    Explain. With visuals if possible, cause I've never heard of this.

AlphaTwo on
    edited February 2007
    Avris wrote: »

JR

Well, its quite simple. I prefer the smaller size and controls to the ds lite for my gba goodness

Also, for the love of god, stop signing your posts

Yeah, since I got mine I haven't played a GBA game in my DS once. This is just a lot nicer for it. It's also actually portable.

APZonerunner - That is really nice. I think I like the pure black more though.

bruin on
    edited February 2007
    The Game Boy Advance SP and Game Boy Micro have different ports for charging and multi-player games. The SP's port is wide; almost square in shape, while the Micro's port is smaller and thinner, looking like a shrunken down USB port. Needless to say, the two systems won't play nice with each other unless you've got the proper adapter.

ArugulaZ on
    JR

• cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have a micro and I love it, I currently play it more than my DS Lite. But I only have a Micro/Micro link cable, and Nintendo's store only ships to America, so I have no easy way of getting one. And I've never seen one on eBay.

If anyone knows where in England I could get one that'd be good.

cherv1 on
  • TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just in case anyone is looking for a Gameboy Micro, I've seen it in a couple of local Zellers stores (Canadian store) going for $50. This is where I got mine and although I ran into some problems with the first two I purchased (it seems like there are some Micro units that are rejects in some way, in both of my returns it was the AC adaptor that didn't work/wasn't packaged in), although you'll know if the one you got is good based on if it is completely sealed. These Micro are all the 20th Anniversary model from what I've seen although it may be different elsewhere.

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png

makes you stronger

• BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    AlphaTwo wrote: »
    Gameboy Micro conversion cable.
    Explain. With visuals if possible, cause I've never heard of this.
    You need both this: http://tinyurl.com/2x3u94 and this: http://tinyurl.com/yrpvlv to be able to connect a Gameboy Micro to GBA/SP's. I was stupid and only bought the first connector. By the way, in that first connector, the Micro port goes in, not out, so that is why you also need the game link cable. Once you got that though, you're set.

To give you an idea, I took a picture of the GBM conversion connector, and I'll link it here.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • TekkoTekko Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Anyone know if they stopped giving extra face plates with the Micro? They changed the packaging, and I want to make sure I get the lady bug face.

Tekko on
    XBL:Tekko88 - PSN:Tekko88
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Toy's R Us has the little fake leather slip cases on sale for pennies. Well under $1 anyway (IIRC).

store.nintendo.com has some essentials if you plan on playing wirelessly or connecting with any other GBA consoles. Still no GCN connection cable though.

CZroe on
    edited March 2007
    Tekko wrote: »
    Anyone know if they stopped giving extra face plates with the Micro? They changed the packaging, and I want to make sure I get the lady bug face.

The new packaging is smaller. I got one, but it was the Famicom Edition and I don't think it ever had any. It's my second GBm: I got the first as soon as it was available after launch, when Nintendo never admitted the shipping delays. Of course, it has the faceplates.

I have two very similar cases (one leather, one nylon) in the mesh pouches on the side of my GIANT GBA/DS pouch so I can carry it all arround with accessories. Sometimes I stral another nylon case to the front to bring a GBA SP around. With the two DS lites, that's a lot to risk losing at once. There have been a few scares, so I need to break it up.

CZroe on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    how cheap are the micro's these days, anyway?

I have absolutely ZERO reason to get one, but the fact that it's the only gameboy model I've never owned keeps taunting me...

Evander on
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The new micros do not have extra face plates. I wanted the ladybugs too. :(

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
    edited March 2007
    Evander wrote: »

I have absolutely ZERO reason to get one, but the fact that it's the only gameboy model I've never owned keeps taunting me...

Black Friday deals had 'em down to $35 last year. $40 at Wal-Mart. Could've 110% price-matched 'em elsewhere. Also, a local Best Buy has them 25% off (Manager's Special).

CZroe on
  • CloggerdudeCloggerdude __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    http://www.superufo.com/product_html/GameBoy_Advance___Micro_Marvel_Mask_Set.html

I think I actually might grab a set of those. The black one looks like the one APZonerunner has, which was awesome, and some of the other colors look pretty nice as well.

8 bucks isn't that bad, and it seems to be pretty cheap from the quick Google search I just did.

Cloggerdude on
    Pokemon D/P Friend Code: 0902 9213 7501
    edited March 2007
    Evander wrote: »

$35 at Toys R Us if they're not sold out, and it should be $50 at most other places.

I bought one even though I have a DS, but I really do not regret it. Maybe my favorite piece of gaming hardware ever.

bruin on
  • TekkoTekko Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    tarnok wrote: »
    The new micros do not have extra face plates. I wanted the ladybugs too. :(

Aww man, the fiance isn't going to be happy about this one.

Anyone know of a place besides eBay to get face plates?

Edit: Just saw the link to Superufo. I love my GBM, I bought it on a whim but I actually like playing game boy games on it more than my DS or SP. Its to bad the Micro ended up being a bit of a retail failure.

Tekko on
    XBL:Tekko88 - PSN:Tekko88
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm not really a fan of playing GBA games on my DS. Having said that of the different GBAs/DSs which device has the best/brightest screen? I seem to be a sucker for Nintendo handheld remakes. I have a GBA SP (the original pre brightness upgrade) and a DS brick. Kind of interested in the micro if its got one of those fancy 'new bright screen!'

Now if I can only find one on the cheap.

powersurge on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I've actually had nothing but the Original GBA to my name since the debut of the series, but now that the shoulder buttons on it have crapped out I figure replacing the system is nearly inevitable (especially since I won't invest in a next-Gen console, since I just can't afford it).

Since the PSP as it is now doesn't appeal to me, that leaves the Micro, the SP, and the DS as options.

The Micro's $35 price tag appeals to me a great deal, if I can find one for as much, but the SP has its charm as well and is also likely to drop in price in due time.

But then, why should I spend money on either system if I'll just break down and get a DS in a short amount of time anyway?

Agghhhh.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If your on a budget the DS is the way to go IMO. Not a ton more than a GBA SP but it does DS and GBA games. And the DS atm is up there with the ps2 in terms of uber gaming on a budget goodness. So many AAA titles.

powersurge on
    edited March 2007
    powersurge wrote: »
    I'm not really a fan of playing GBA games on my DS. Having said that of the different GBAs/DSs which device has the best/brightest screen? I seem to be a sucker for Nintendo handheld remakes. I have a GBA SP (the original pre brightness upgrade) and a DS brick. Kind of interested in the micro if its got one of those fancy 'new bright screen!'

Now if I can only find one on the cheap.

The Micro screen is like the DS Lite screen (really bright and sharp, with brilliant colors) but smaller. Definitely the best GBA screen.

bruin on
  • cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was wondering if the Micro screen is as good as the GBA SP v2 screen.... I have never seen that SP so I can't comment.

Also I really want to buy one of those Link cable converters, but Nintendo doesn't ship to England and there are none whatsoever on eBay :( I have a regular GBM-GBM cable but that is all. Does anyone have any ideas?

cherv1 on