Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

League of Legends - Korean Foxy Lady Eventually.

ChaosHatChaosHat Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Games and Technology
20110412074027!League_of_Legends_logo.png
VLZCL.jpg

News and Such
-Volibear Champ Spotlight
-Volibear Patch Notes
-New masteries coming.
-Patch Preview!
-Fizz!

League of Legends (popularly known as LoL) is a Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) game. With lots of acronyms, in case you couldn't tell.

You play as a summoner that selects a champion to battle with and against other summoners and their respective champs. During games, your champion will level up, get gold for better equipment and hopefully destroy the enemy nexus. Outside of games, your summoner level will rise. This will unlock new runes to enhance champion stats, bestow mastery points for further champion customization and goodies like avatars. At max level you can then compete in ranked matches and/or judge player behavior in what is called the tribunal.

New Player Guide

1. Make an account: NA EU (West) EU (Nordic & East)
It is worth noting that referring new players has perks, so I would ask for a referral link in the thread rather than a vanilla account.

2. Download the client: Right here
The official Mac client has been discontinued.

3. Play the tutorials! New User Guide
The game can be a bit overwhelming, and I highly suggest you play the tutorials OR find someone willing to do a few vs. AI games with you.

4. Play vs. AI games with people.
Preferably people you know or from here. The bots aren't bad, but they have exploitable flaws and won't emulate the "real deal" perfectly. Focus less on the opposition and more on getting a feel for the various champions and the general flow of game.

5. Play vs. People
Do it, damn you. As said above, the AI is not going to give you the legitimate LoL experience. You don't want to hit your 20s solely from bot matches.

6. Get yer free champs.
Subscribe to Riot's Youtube and get a free Alistar skin! Includes the champion! Free Tristana if you're into the Facebook thing. Promo skins always include the champion if you never bought it.

The Dos and Don'ts of LoL

Meta Stuff
Spoiler:

Game Stuff
Spoiler:

Meet the Team

Like any group activity, stuff is usually broken down into roles. It's worth noting that champions don't always fit neatly in categories. A champion's role in the team may depend on what build has been chosen, and sometimes you may fill several roles depending on the group composition. When picking champions, it's a good idea to see what people are doing and fill in any holes.

1. The Carry: If your team is a car, then the carry is the engine. It's what makes the team function. The carry, when doing its job, will be able to easily destroy the whole team. But, just like an engine is useless without any other parts of your car, the carry relies on its team to get the gold necessary to buy the items needed to kill swathes of enemies. Early on, carries tend to be more vulnerable and weaker than other champs. LOTS of people pick carry in random, because it's the star character that generally gets all the kills.

2. The Tank: Following the car metaphor, the tank is your steering. It'll guide the team into battle, and in many cases will be the one starting the fights. Tanks are there to absorb damage and lock down the most dangerous champions on the enemy team so you can position yourselves to win the fight. Some tanks do this with CC, whereas other tanks have some damage and will soften up the enemy team instead. Tanks still tend to need the rest of their team to back them up.

3. The Support: I guess support are your tires or something? Maybe the AC. Either, support help the team out with buffs and generally shields or healing. Healers tend to assist the carry by allowing the carry to stay in the lane longer through said healing or shields. Unlike, well, just about everyone else, Support don't rely so much on gear and thus will purposefully AVOID getting last hits so that their lane partner can farm gold faster. Because of their reduced need of gold, support should also be buying and placing wards when needed. It's worth noting that EVERYONE should generally buy wards, but as a support you can afford to take the financial hit. FEW people pick support in random due to how hard it is to influence games. You have to be very proactive to make up for bad teammates as a carry.

4. The Jungler: Jungling is a more advanced concept, and you won't see it until higher summoner levels. This is due to runes and masteries allowing for more efficient jungling. It is still possible on a few champs, even at Summoner Level 1, but very uncommon. As the name implies, the jungler sits in the jungle and kills neutral creeps. This benefits your team by creating a second solo lane (top lane), resulting in more experience and gold for your team as a whole. Once the jungler hits a certain gear/level point, they look for opportunities to gank enemies. This is generally done via strong CC abilities, such as Warwick's ultimate or Nunu's slow coupled with his speed buff. Skills such as these will enable the jungler's teammate in that lane to easily assist with the kill. When not ganking, the jungler will return to the jungle regularly to keep up in terms of gold and experience. Due to their roaming, the jungler has plenty of opportunities to place wards for its teammates.

This is a very simple guide! There are other roles in teams, but this is a rough outline of the basics. Roles can easily overlap, and a champion can fill more than one role! Experiment and see what works and what doesn't.

Useful Stuff

Websites!
Spoiler:

Stuff You Should Know
-Yes, a promo skin will unlock that champion for free.
-Promo skin codes generally work twice: once in both regions (NA and EU). If you have used a code for yourself, don't toss it out! Make a post here and give it away or swap it for another skin.
-Speaking of promo skins, Free Tristana if you're willing to whore yourself out a bit.
--Subscribe to Riot's Youtube and get a free Alistar skin!
-Never take Revive or Rally, goddamn it.
-Buy Wards
-When in doubt, take Flash

A useful list of terms used in game, courtesy of Cantido.
Spoiler:

Have you scored a penta?
Spoiler:

ChaosHat on
ChaosHat.com - Twitter - Twitch Stream - Steam: ChaosHat - 3DS: 5215-0009-1949
SC2: ChaosHat.444 ggtracker

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I need to put my penta picture up.

steam_sig.png
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.

Stragint Twitch check.php?c=Stragint
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck NONSTOP INFINITE CLIMAX POSTING you must go on i cant go on ill go onRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    volibear is poop from a butt

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    oh. what does rt mean after someone goes mia?

huntresssig.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote:

?

just too be aware. also mine is only better because i have been playing for longs times.

steam_sig.png
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    i guess rt means "return" as in "returned to lane"

it's less common than just "re" which is what people normally say to indicate that. maybe it's an EU thing? i know they say "ss" instead of "mia" over there, and call dragon "drake"

oh no, it might be re

I think it probably is

I just see it and then forget it

huntresssig.jpg
    yeah, it was probably re

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote:

It depends on who's missing. Generally speaking, 'don't push up past river - stay within fallback distance of your tower'.

...If it's a post-6 Annie or equivalent burst-caster, and you see the enemy pushing your lane hard, it means, 'run away. you're about to be blown-up from behind by a teddy bear'.

TOG Solid wrote:
    If that guy wasn't white he would have gotten popped by so many tasers simultaneously that Marvel could use that as the new origin for Electro.
  • milskimilski Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Spoiler:

My smurf treeline game lasted an hour. Being crazy as hell didn't help, but that was just kind of insane.

milski on
    Steam ID: Milski
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I don't get SS.

But I still say it, because everyone else does.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    Kay wrote:
    I don't get SS.

we should all just start saying obs, for obscured by the fog of war

huntresssig.jpg
    Best I could co
    Kay wrote:
    I don't get SS.

Best I could come up with was they dropped the mi off of miss.

steam_sig.png
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Scoundrel Skedaddled

RGqiDzM.png
  • nealcmnealcm Registered User regular
    yeah i think it is a shortened form of missing

missing became miss, and miss became ss for some reason

19ZUtIw.png
    less letters

LESS TYPING MORE LASTHITTING

huntresssig.jpg
  • ZoelefZoelef Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Last 4 losses: ~1.5 KDA
    Last 4 wins: ~7.5 KDA

KDA isn't everything, but it's a strong barometer.

Zoelef on
    Bah, support.

Support doesn't let you have those big hero moments like a jungler or top laner would have.

Unless you are Blitzcrank. Blitzcrank is all about big hero moments.

RGqiDzM.png
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    Support lets you have big hero moments.

But no one will notice or give you any credit for it.

wAgWt.jpg
    edited December 2011
    Talith wrote:
    Bah, support.

Support doesn't let you have those big hero moments like a jungler or top laner would have.

Unless you are Blitzcrank. Blitzcrank is all about big hero moments.

Nah I kind of dig hitting someone with a snare or whatever

"YOU AIN'T GOIN' NOWHERE!"

and then one of my teammates finishes them off.

Pancake wrote:
    Support lets you have big hero moments.

But no one will notice or give you any credit for it.

they are personal hero moments. you know what you did.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • CutfangCutfang Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I think my teammate appreciated the time an enemy Shaco tried to kill my wounded partner, whom I healed as he hit 100hp. Undeterred Shaco continued to stab the poor guy so I popped my ultimate heal. He was still pretty close to dying though so Shaco continued to slice and dice so I popped my summoner Heal. By then he had been starcalled to death!

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Hero of Justice : ( 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    EPIK just eliminated from Kiev qualifier thing by support Leona and Jungle Pantheon support owns : (

frosteey.gif
    Exactly. Not a big hero moment.

You get a nice sidekick moment I guess. Like when Robin occasionally saves Batman. I can't think of any examples but I'm sure it happens.

RGqiDzM.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds is pumped-up. Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Fucking One Hour And Three Minute Game.
    Push-Carried so hard I thought I was going to burst blood vessels.

ScnwV.png

I basically won the damn game for us when I ninja'd both Nexus Towers while they got Baron and killed 3 of our guys. But I got at least two-thirds of our towers again, grabbing them at any opportunity.
    Also, holy fuck our first-pick Karthus was bad. He was 0/8 in laning phase as Karthus. And he was out of position every moment of the game. I have no idea how he ever picked up kills.

Ooooh. I also First-Blooded' their Shaco at Red lvl1 after stealing the buff.

I feel like I deserve a fucking medal, but Nope. Only +13 ELO.

vagrant_winds on
    // FF14: Phyress Traydor, Spoony Bard @ Sargatanas //
    // PSN: vagrant_winds // 3DS: 4682-8868-5037 //
    // Steam, LoL, & WiiU: VWinds // Livestream //
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Ranked needs to give higher ELO gains. Dealing with all the ragers, trolls, leavers, and people using terribad builds is simply not worth +9 for a win. They should give like +8000.

Sure, 100,000ELO would be the new 2000, but I still want better ELO gains.

Carnarvon on
    people really need to pay more attention to laning comp

we just lost terribly because our nidalee wouldn't do anything except solo top

meanwhile myself as akali and my laning partner of leona were getting our shit pushed in by malphite/trist

huntresssig.jpg
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. gank so hard motherfuckers wanna find meRegistered User regular
    watching v8 vs CLG

v8 seems to consistently win early game right now

then get eternally baited into fights where they're outnumbered and lose

YUNHcUz.jpg
  • EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I got a penta with Vlad!

Alas, it was in a botmatch and thus doesn't count.

• Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo HAPPY WAALUWEEN Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I should get back in this game.

Just Dominion forever.

Dominion is still fun, right?

eG9gdum.gif
    watching v8 vs CLG

v8 seems to consistently win early game right now

then get eternally baited into fights where they're outnumbered and lose

they're still a young team

if they work out their communication issues and stop committing to fights they can't win they'd be really strong

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds is pumped-up. Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote:
    people really need to pay more attention to laning comp

we just lost terribly because our nidalee wouldn't do anything except solo top

meanwhile myself as akali and my laning partner of leona were getting our shit pushed in by malphite/trist

I had an enemy team last pick Nasus when we already had a Garen. They sent him top.
    ...lets just say Garen got a lot of free kills.

// FF14: Phyress Traydor, Spoony Bard @ Sargatanas //
    // PSN: vagrant_winds // 3DS: 4682-8868-5037 //
    // Steam, LoL, & WiiU: VWinds // Livestream //
    That is a very interesting
    Carnarvon wrote:
    Ranked needs to give higher ELO gains. Dealing with all the ragers, trolls, leavers, and people using terribad builds is simply not worth +9 for a win. They should give like +8000.

Sure, 100,000ELO would be the new 2000, but I still want better ELO gains.

There are ragers, trolls, leavers, and people using terribad builds in the 1800s.

It never goes away.

RGqiDzM.png
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    Mattagascar is insisting that I post a link to his stream.

http://www.own3d.tv/live/63157/League_of_Lamers

qFN53.png
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Just handily beat a Gragas in mid with Lux. Couldn't really do shit to him at the start but once I had my ult and sorc treads I could drop him in a single combo + ignite. 14 seconds on her Q though uugggghhh

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549 AC:NL Trading List
    sig.gif
    i hope they up the missile speed on her Q with these adjustments they're making to her, along with the cooldown reductions

it feels sooo fucking slow compared to dark binding

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna stream a few more ranked games tonight, I'd like some feedback on how I can not be bad because I make lots of mistakes.

http://www.own3d.tv/live/14756

It can also be some what entertaining. I'm sitting at 1201 ELO right now and I'm hoping I can get to 1250 tonight.

steam_sig.png
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.

Stragint Twitch check.php?c=Stragint
  • SampsenSampsen Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Stragint wrote:
    I'm gonna stream a few more ranked games tonight, I'd like some feedback on how I can not be bad because I make lots of mistakes.

http://www.own3d.tv/live/14756

It can also be some what entertaining. I'm sitting at 1201 ELO right now and I'm hoping I can get to 1250 tonight.

It's when you start looking ahead a few games that you lose 3 or 4 in a row. I lost my last two ranked and am now about 1175. =(

Thought I could make it to 1250 as well.

Edit - My last ranked match had a last-pick Kat after the other team chose Sion, Alistar and Lee Sin. Seriously? She went 0/5 in laning, and then bought a Mejais. Yeah, we lost.

But on the bright side, I got a triple kill. I love playing Irelia, and I was the only non-negative KD on the team(7/7/9), solo top vs Garen. Stupid Garen.

Sampsen on
    Sampsen_na_104_5_logo.png
  • FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    I should get back in this game.

Just Dominion forever.

Dominion is still fun, right?

It's all I mostly do - quick games and low stress. I feel like this game needs another map. *shrug*

• I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. gank so hard motherfuckers wanna find meRegistered User regular
    dominion is great

unless you're asked to go bottom

YUNHcUz.jpg
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    dominion is great

unless you're asked to go bottom
    I like bot with some characters, I think both Morg and Fiddle for instance can do well there. The only problem is that the points for it are still messed up.

bot's problem is that it really, really doesn't feel all that dynamic

you just push, watch out for ganks and people trying to back cap you, and then cap the other bot point when you have a chance

it's an incredibly different experience compared to the rest of the map and a lot of the time kinda meh

YUNHcUz.jpg