As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dota 2] Old thread. Please lock.

• Options
    madnessnewbmadnessnewb Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Can I still sign up for a chance to get in the beta? I did the hardware survey and when it want to open a website for Step 2, the site just never opens...

E: nvm..worked eventually.

madnessnewb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GnomocideGnomocide Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Got a beta invite this afternoon myself. I have literally no clue what I'm doing. I right-clicked in a couple of places, ran into dudes, got pwnt 3 times, and didn't feel bad at all that I dropped the game then.

If I continue to play, it'll be with some of you who don't mind teaching some newbs the basics and then some.

First lesson: you don't just up and leave in this game when losing, you play it out until the bitter end. The only games you can leave without punishment are private games vs. bots, and games where one of your team mates has already "abandoned". If you continue leaving games prematurely, you'll be put in the "leaver's queue" which is basically DOTA hell.

I wrote a post trying to help another new player a few pages back, but you might not care for reading a lot of stuff (few people do :P). That's cool, maybe you can find some PA dudes to teach you the basics while you play. Just don't be surprised if you're overwhelmed, 'cause this game is pretty complicated. The pay-off is huge though, as the game is really rewarding and fun once you get over that initial learning curve. Good luck!

Gnomocide on
  • Options
    Crazed LlamaCrazed Llama Registered User regular
    Gnomocide wrote: »
    Got a beta invite this afternoon myself. I have literally no clue what I'm doing. I right-clicked in a couple of places, ran into dudes, got pwnt 3 times, and didn't feel bad at all that I dropped the game then.

If I continue to play, it'll be with some of you who don't mind teaching some newbs the basics and then some.
    If you continue leaving games prematurely, you'll be put in the "leaver's queue" which is basically DOTA hell.

Well another note then, if you want to play with everyone. People in general will not want to play with you if you're in leaver queue because you bring anyone who plays with you into the queue as well.

tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    So is there any reason to leave auto-attack turned on in the settings?

I have it off so last hitting is easier... just curious if there is a reason that its on by default.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    after early game a lot of heroes massacre creeps and it's easier just to auto attack, i toggle it based on what hero im playing usually

tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    after early game a lot of heroes massacre creeps and it's easier just to auto attack, i toggle it based on what hero im playing usually

Well ya, later game with Axe or something I just smack shit by right clicking it. But early game, I've seen some people spam "stop" instead of just turn off auto attack... wasn't sure if there was a reason for this, where you see them in this stuttering attack animation when waiting to last hit.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    sometimes it can help you time a last hit easier, winding up and then canceling the animation - then on the attack you know will kill it you can not hit stop and land it

reminds me of something a healer in WoW used to do, start casting a really long cast heal and keep interrupting it if the tank was full but if they weren't let it go through

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    If I recall correctly you don't want autoattack disabled when you're playing Dark Seer in teamfights. Your copies should be immediately attacking people.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    I leave auto attack on and just click around constantly to keep from hitting stuff I don't want to. It's what I'm used to doing in League, and it's also a great way to keep yourself moving. You never want to be standing still and if doing so will push the lane you won't be tempted.

You also attack faster if you cancel your back swing with a move command and then attack again. Also yeah if a fight breaks out I don't want to not be auto attacking because I forgot to click a guy after using an ability.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Ghee wrote: »
    I am an extremely unstable emotional 12 year old Thai boy.

wait, wh

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    Man, people sure are getting mad in this thread

and by people

I mean one dude

it's just a game, bro

• Options

wait, wh

I just got another one of those weird boners.

tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    i dont even

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Nobody needs to turn autoattack off. If you have problems keeping your character from automatically marching into a creep wave and fighting with them, then that means you were sitting around doing nothing. Standing around idly in this game is asking for Bad Things to happen to you, especially if certain heroes are in play.

Also, mashing S when trying to last hit a creep has almost nothing to do with preventing autoattacks, and a lot more to do with helping characters with slower attack animations fire at the correct time. There is less delay between being mid-swing and "releasing" the attack by not hitting S than there is right clicking and firing up the animation from the very beginning.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    Here I am! Ha Ha!

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

wait, wh

I just got another one of those weird boners.
    Fuck, this is exciting. Please continue.

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Oh, now I know why I never recognized the name of that one guy that tends to hang out in the PennyArcade chat channel in-game. He signed up for the forums less than a month ago and all his posts are in this thread.

I should probably have learnt by now that it's a part of Dota, but I always get disappointed when I have a good early game and then fall behind and lose later on.

I kinda wish the in-game chat channels were tied to Steam groups.

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ghee is a friend of KoolEagle irl if I remember correctly. He joined the forums because of us fine chaps in game.

Also this game needs more heros stat. I'm tired of seeing the same set of picks/bans in tournaments.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Kind of sucks there won't be a hero this week :S

I don't count the test server because fuck playing on the test server. Even then I have doubts the test server will get a hero tommorrow.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I am also an extremely unstable emotional 12 year old thai boy.

I'd be a bit pissed if I got dc'd and when I came back and my items were gone, but yeah just a game, I just take a 20 minute dump to upset everyone else and i'm over it.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    Ghee is a friend of KoolEagle irl if I remember correctly. He joined the forums because of us fine chaps in game.

Also this game needs more heros stat. I'm tired of seeing the same set of picks/bans in tournaments.

Maybe I'm being too fast about being negative about new people, but it always weirds me out when someone literally only posts in a single thread.

I know Dota 2 "only" has two thirds of the heroes in WC3 Dota, but 70 heroes still seems like a lot to me. Then again, I don't follow tournaments, I mostly just play the game.

• Options
    Peewi wrote: »

Maybe I'm being too fast about being negative about new people, but it always weirds me out when someone literally only posts in a single thread.

I know Dota 2 "only" has two thirds of the heroes in WC3 Dota, but 70 heroes still seems like a lot to me. Then again, I don't follow tournaments, I mostly just play the game.

70 is a lot, sure. But once you start counter picking and filling needed rolls, youre suddenly picking from a much smaller number.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

70 is a lot, sure. But once you start counter picking and filling needed rolls, youre suddenly picking from a much smaller number. 40 more heroes makes a difference.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ghee, do not bring up drama from off the boards. Only a select handful of people care, and it derails the thread.

Everyone else, drop it and carry on talking about whatever.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Nobody needs to turn autoattack off. If you have problems keeping your character from automatically marching into a creep wave and fighting with them, then that means you were sitting around doing nothing. Standing around idly in this game is asking for Bad Things to happen to you, especially if certain heroes are in play.

Also, mashing S when trying to last hit a creep has almost nothing to do with preventing autoattacks, and a lot more to do with helping characters with slower attack animations fire at the correct time. There is less delay between being mid-swing and "releasing" the attack by not hitting S than there is right clicking and firing up the animation from the very beginning.

I disagree; it's purely a matter of preference. Do you want to press a button to stop auto attacking, or to press one to start? I prefer the latter, so I turned auto attack off.

When I started out, with auto attack enabled, I often had to leave xp range when shopping, since my hero would just run back in and auto attack while I was buying stuff/getting it on the courier. Now, after getting more used to the key bindings, I realize I could have just pressed "H", but it simply makes more sense for me if my hero doesn't perform actions I haven't ordered.

Having auto attack disabled doesn't force you to "sit around doing nothing" - of course I move around when waiting for last hits too (does anyone NOT click like a maniac when playing dota? doubt it). When I want to auto (let's say I'm afk farming the jungle), I just do a "A-move" command. Another thing to note is that you don't need to right click for every attack (that would suck), once you set off the attack-command the hero will keep attacking.

The only real downside to turning it off is that you can't just spam S to cancel attacks - you need to alternate between pressing S and right mouse button, which I personally don't think is an issue - but again, it all comes down to preference (it doubles the APM needed to pull off the canceling, but it's not the most demanding game when it comes to APM anyway). For me it simply makes more sense to have auto attack off, and then give those extra commands myself, rather than the other way around. I'm sure that will seem cumbersome to those who are used to the old school way, but I'm not missing out on any sort of functionality - if I did I wouldn't have turned it off. IMO it all comes down to what you feel is natural - and if I had played DotA1 I'd probably be used to auto attacking as well.

Gnomocide on
  • Options
    I used the passive aggressive mod in hon, so the no autoattack option was reaaaaally nice

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    The downside of having autoattack off is not having to right click between pressing S.

The downside is things like summoned/converted pets and illusions needing to be micro'd to get them to start attacking, which is potentially a few wasted attacks. This is especially true for really chaotic clusterfuck type situations like the aforementioned Dark Seer vacuum/ wall drop, or heroes like beastmaster who might shit out 4 pets in the middle of a hectic teamfight.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Yep, it's definitely a trade off. I just think it's less annoying to add a bit of right clicking to my S spam, than to keep managing my unruly hero as he's running towards the nearest enemies because I stopped spamming movement commands for half a second.

In regards to the summons/pets, I hardly think it's an issue. You'll need to micro them a bit anyway (auto attacking won't help much if they're hitting creeps instead of heroes), and if you want the "default" auto attack behaviour you can just give them a "A-move" command (and it's easy to select them all with the "select other units" key). At that point it's probably better to just straight up micro them, though.

I hardly think these differences are big enough to matter - at least not below the pro level. I personally think people should choose the set up they feel the most comfortable with. I feel more in control of my units' actions without auto attacks, so I leave it off.

edit: I've been rolling with "right click deny" enabled as well, but I'm going to disable it. The problem is that when it's enabled, any right click on a friendly creep will cancel your current command. So if you're on the run, and accidentally right click one of your own (>50% hp) creeps, your hero will stop because the movement command was cleared - which will often lead to a swift demise. Oh yeah and you can't right click deny towers/friendly heroes so might as well get used to A-click for denies.

Gnomocide on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular

70 is a lot, sure. But once you start counter picking and filling needed rolls, youre suddenly picking from a much smaller number. 40 more heroes makes a difference.

It'll help when they get that 5th ban.

But the real issue is that they've been porting heroes that nobody wants to play. Clinkz? Bane? Spirit Breaker? Silencer? Ursa? Death Prophet? These are all heroes that haven't been relevant to the competitive metagame for at least a year.

If they'd been adding heroes like Panda, Shadow Demon, Lycan, Sillybear, Chaos Knight (and for the Pinoys, Naga and Lanaya).

But competitive dota is really trendy. All it takes is for a good team to play a hero well a few times and other teams will start changing their minds. We saw that recently with qop being picked a few times, though it didn't really work. And with Dark Seer; 6 months ago Dark Seer was never picked, and since then he's had the most minor of buffs to stuff that doesn't really matter (slightly better early game and mid game harass with ion shell weee!). Now he's a top pick and ban. The hero didn't change, but people started picking him and winning games. And now people are picking AM and losing games, so we'll probably see a little less of him. Prophet has never bothered me. He's a fun ganking hero and can backdoor well, but he's easy to shut down. He's pretty much the reverse of Dark Seer: 9 months ago nobody picked Prophet because he was a paper support hero who pushed all the lanes and stole all the farm. He didn't really get any buffs, but people started playing him and now he's a top pick.

This situation is way more obvious over the last year, because dota only got 1 update during a ~10 month period, yet the metagame and hero picks changed wildly from month to month, even though every hero was static, since they weren't getting nerfed or buffed.

Or you could watch more pinoy dota (though it's mostly dota 1). They make the craziest picks and don't care about towers. They think it's still 2009 or something.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    So I got a beta invite for this. I enjoyed LOL when I played it a while back. Even threw about $50 into it, but eventually lost interest. Exact same game with a different coat of paint? Or does the polish result in a better experience over all?

Main gripes with LOL:

- Games would drag on for the better part of an hour. If you were on a shitty team, that was a terrible hour.
    - So many fucking items. I always felt like I needed to read up on a character before playing because there were maybe 2-3 builds that were ideal and everything else is going to get you crushed if you're not savvy.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    LoL is like a watered down version of Dota, where the most difficult/advanced stuff has been removed so the casual gamers can play as well. Dota is more hardcore, more punishing and has crushing gameplay depth. There's more items than in LoL, and they matter a lot more as well. The games are at least as long, if not longer - and in Dota2, surrender is not an option. Basically if you don't like the idea of "LoL but significantly more hardcore/advanced", then this is probably not for you - especially right now, since there's no tutorial implemented yet (this is definitely coming before release).

That being said, it's an absolutely amazing game once you get past the initial (nearly vertical) learning curve. But yeah if you're expecting the usual Valve user-friendliness, you will be severely disappointed - this game will fuck you up.

Gnomocide on
  • Options
    i'm sure that eventually, once all heroes are implemented, valve will polish up the game with some ways to introduce people to the game. i'm interested to see where all their TF2 design experience will come in (besides hats)

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    LoL has some mechanics that tend to normalize the length of games, which is to say even a poorly performing team tends to be able to catch up and hit level 18 and finish their build most of the time, which results in longer average games. Dota is more of a snowball type situation where the earlier and harder you get crushed the faster you lose. If you are on a truly shitty and dysfunctional team you can lose ~25 minutes in. People usually can't defend 50-60 minutes against an enemy carry 10 levels above their team average.

About the items, well, Dota is not going to be better if you thought LoL was too complicated. Dota has more items overall, they're more varied in their purposes than the stat sticks that LoL is full of, and many of them have manually activated powers, like Ghostblade from LoL.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    Playing Zeus makes me giggle like a schoolgirl

• Options
    edited March 2012
    SO. Who is ready to be disappointed today?

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    i am so ready to be disappointed

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    If we don't get a new hero, I'm blaming the two of you. :bz

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I'm blaming Monks.