As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tell me something I DON'T know

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote:
    Did you know Stephen Blum (of Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Shamploo, countless other anime/western cartoons/video games) has had more notable work than most VAs currently in the business?

Seriously, the man is a machine.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0089710/

this isn't particularly surprising

and besides
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0919798/

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Man, prominent voice actors always seem to have a voiceography list longer than God's dick.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Humanity is actually a virus and you are living in a dream world.

Also, you are a battery meant to keep Tom Servo happy or something.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I think voice acting is just a relatively small field so when someone gets popular they are used for fucking everything.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    The actress who played Moaning Myrtle was 37 years old when she portrayed the ghost of a pre-pubescent Hogwarts student in the second Harry Potter movie.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    one of the most prolific contributors to the Oxford English Dictionary was a fella by the name of William Chester Minor

he contributed thousands of definitions to the dictionary's editorial staff, and eventually the editor (Dr. James Murray) decided to meet him

so he went out to the asylum which Minor gave as his address, thinking that Minor was a doctor on staff (Minor was, in fact, a trained physician)

turns out, Minor was a patient, and quite deliriously mad (but only at night); he had murdered a man on the streets of London in the middle of the night

he was convinced the Irish were out to murder him

despite this, the two struck up a friendship that continued well into their declining years

eventually, though, Minor's madness worsened, though his advanced age meant that he wasn't a real harm to anyone, and he was remanded to the care of his brother. minor died of natural causes, or close enough.

now, interestingly, there's a street in Seattle that some of you may be familiar with- Minor Avenue

William Minor had a half-brother, one Thomas T. Minor, who was mayor of Seattle in 1887

it's him the street was named after

his mayoral tenure was unremarkable, but for one fact: partway through his term, he went on a canoe trip with a friend and disappeared without a trace

probably, they drowned, but their bodies were never recovered

this has been bizarre history, brought to you by Shorty

Shorty on
  • Options
    I love historical coincidences. I like to believe they're true, even if many of them aren't.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I didn't know this until recently (and I get the sense I'm in the minority here) but apparently the studio that produced the Terminator recommended OJ Simpson for the starring role but James Cameron couldn't see him as a convincing killer.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote:
    I didn't know this until recently (and I get the sense I'm in the minority here) but apparently the studio that produced the Terminator recommended OJ Simpson for the starring role but James Cameron couldn't see him as a convincing killer.

yuuuuuuuuuuup

• Options
    Thomas Midgley was a chemist working for General Motors in the early 1900's

he was also a sack of shit

he and his team developed the lead fuel additive tetraethyllead, which is demonstrably poisonous and ruinous to the environment

he maintained that this was untrue despite overwhelming evidence, going so far as to "demonstrate" its benign qualities to the media

he would inhale deeply from a beaker full of the stuff, and dump it all over his hands, all "Look, I'm fine."

apparently he convinced himself that the months of convalesence he needed immediately after this stunt were unrelated

later, he also invented the first CFCs, which we have to thank for the holes in our ozone layer

he died after contracting polio (somehow), though not directly due to the polio: he invented a machine that would help him get out of bed. he entagled himself in its various ropes and pulleys, and died of strangulation, proving that, at times, our universe is capable of some very delicious poetic justice.

• Options
    there is a city in Austria called Fucking.

they have a problem with people stealing their signs. shocking, I know.

when I first read about this place, I misread "austria" as "australia".

I didn't catch this mistake until after I'd told a few people that there was a city in Australia called Fucking.

I decided not to inform them; I liked the idea of maybe one of them going to Australia and asking about Fucking.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Hullis wrote:

Massachusetts has no entries on that site.

Victory for us.

I assure you, it is because no one from that site has noticed any and not because we don't have any

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Tricky Final Jeopardy that I thought was pretty interesting.

The Clue: Now in season 23, its producer says it's the only show with "no script, no actors, no host and no re-enactments"

The answer was

What is Cops?

Rehab on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    As Esquire reported, when Fred Rogers took a trip out to meet Koko the gorilla for his show, not only did she immediately wrap her arms around him and embrace him, she did what she’d always seen him do onscreen: she proceeded to take his shoes off!
    According to a TV Guide profile, Fred Rogers drove a plain old Impala for years. One day, however, the car was stolen from the street near the TV station. When Rogers filed a police report, the story was picked up by every newspaper, radio and media outlet around town. Amazingly, within 48 hours the car was left in the exact spot where it was taken from, with an apology on the dashboard. It read, “If we’d known it was yours, we never would have taken it.”
    In covering Rogers’ daily routine (waking up at 5; praying for a few hours for all of his friends and family; studying; writing, making calls and reaching out to every fan who took the time to write him; going for a morning swim; getting on a scale; then really starting his day), writer Tom Junod explained that Mr. Rogers weighed in at exactly 143 pounds every day for the last 30 years of his life. He didn’t smoke, didn’t drink, didn’t eat the flesh of any animals, and was extremely disciplined in his daily routine. And while I’m not sure if any of that was because he’d mostly grown up a chubby, single child, Junod points out that Rogers found beauty in the number 143. According to the piece, Rogers came “to see that number as a gift… because, as he says, “the number 143 means ‘I love you.’ It takes one letter to say ‘I’ and four letters to say ‘love’ and three letters to say ‘you.’ One hundred and forty-three.”
    Mister Rogers seems to have been almost exactly the same off-screen as he was onscreen. As an ordained Presbyterian minister, and a man of tremendous faith, Mister Rogers preached tolerance first. Whenever he was asked to castigate non-Christians or gays for their differing beliefs, he would instead face them and say, with sincerity, “God loves you just the way you are.” Often this provoked ire from fundamentalists.
    Literally. He couldn’t see the color blue. Of course, he was also figuratively color-blind, as you probably guessed. As were his parents who took in a black foster child when Rogers was growing up.
    Once while rushing to a New York meeting, there were no cabs available, so Rogers and one of his colleagues hopped on the subway. Esquire reported that the car was filled with people, and they assumed they wouldn’t be noticed. But when the crowd spotted Rogers, they all simultaneously burst into song, chanting “It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood.” The result made Rogers smile wide.
    Every one of the cardigans he wore on the show had been hand-knit by his mother.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Peter Falk, best known for playing Columbo (as well as the grandfather in The Princess Bride), had a glass age starting at the age of three.
    There was some debate about whether or not the character of Columbo also had a glass eye or if the character was supposed to have two eyes. It wasn't until over a quarter of a century later in a Columbo TV movie when the answer was finally given when someone asks to accompany Columbo and he responds that "three eyes are better than one."

On a related note, the Nicholas Cage film "City of Angels" is a remake of a foreign film known as "Wings of Desire" or "The Sky Over Berlin." It is quite different from the Nick Cage version, and includes Peter Falk playing Peter Falk who is actually an angel who gave up his immortality to life a human life and get into the film business.

Speaking of actors missing body parts, Matthew Perry (Chandler from Friends) is missing a portion of one of his fingers. This is most easily noticed during the beginning of the "Whole Nine Yards" when he is brushing his teeth. Supposedly it was slammed in a door when he was a child.

And now for something completely different: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Shud_Case

Random other things:

*Despite his terrible reputation, the dread pirate Blackbeard is not known to have ever killed a single person prior to his final battle.
    *The movie "Biodome" starring Paulie Shore was originally supposed to be the third Bill & Ted film.
    *"The Wizard of Oz" is actually the first book in a series, first published in 1900. L. Frank Baum, the original author, wrote at least 14 novels before passing it on to someone else. New books still come out to this day, and there are quite a few of them now. Additionally, the book origin for the Tin Woodsman is severely fucked up (especially when he gets his memory back in a later book and goes looking for his lost love only to discover she is with a zombie made of his lost human body parts).

Lastly, Roger Rabbit was originally a book, "Who Censored Roger Rabbit?" This book was drastically different from the popular film and featured no copyright characters like Mickey Mouse or Droopy.
    For starters, Roger stars in comic strips, not cartoons. He also communicates via speech bubbles. There is also no Dip or Judge Doom. Toons can be killed just like anyone else, but they possess the ability to create temporary duplicates of themselves to get killed in stunts. Also, Roger Rabbit is killed near the beginning of the book. The rest of the book is Eddie Valiant teaming up with a duplicate of Roger's to solve Roger's murder before the duplicate expires and melts away (as well as trying to discover why prior to his death Roger had put so much effort into making a duplicate that could last days instead of hours).

When the movie rights got picked up, Steven Spielberg stepped in and used his magical powers to get Disney and WB to work together and produce the amazing movie we know today. Afterwords, the original author wrote a sequel book called "Who P-P-Plugged Roger Rabbit?" which is mostly a sequel to the movie with a few elements from the first book added in. The author claims to have also written a third book but is not having it published until a second movie is made. He's also written some short stories and such.

Disney at one time tried to make a Roger Rabbit cartoon series, but WB wouldn't give them to go ahead, so they retooled the cartoon and created Bonkers the Bobcat.

Lars on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I choose to believe every one of those is true re: Fred Rogers.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    matthew+perry.jpg

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    the t in mr t stands for Tureaud

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I make Conan O'Brien look tan.

Rehab on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In 1859, the US almost went to war with Britain because of a pig.

One Lyman Cutlar found a pig eating his potatoes in the back yard of his home on San Juan Island (in what is now Washington), so he shot the pig. It belonged to an Irishman named Charles Griffin, who was understandably angry. Cutlar offered ten dollars in recompense, Griffin demanded one hundred, Cutlar declined, and was threatened with arrest by British troops from nearby Vancouver Island. The Americans asked for support from the Army, and things escalated (due in no small way to George Pickett, he of Pickett's Charge, who said of the affair that "We'll make a Bunker Hill of it.") until the British governor ordered his admiral, Robert Baynes, to land marines and engage the Americans on San Juan Island. However, Baynes, being (we must assume) the most reasonable man around, refused, saying that it was absurd for two countries to go to war over a pig. Eventually, the respective heads of state were informed of these events, and both sent delegates to resolve the situation. Unfortunately, the location could not have been more inconvenient; because of a poorly-worded treaty agreed upon in 1846, the border between the UK and the US was unclear in this region of the Sound, and the whole affair turned into a border dispute, with each side disagreeing on which strait through the San Juans would mark the national border.

It took twelve years for them to decide to have the situation arbitrated internationally.

Kaiser Wilhelm was chosen to arbitrate, and he delegated to a three-man panel which took another year to decide in favor of the US, which is why San Juan Island is part of Washington and not Canada.

During the twelve-year negotions, both Americans and British kept a token force of one hundred men on San Juan Island. The Union Jack is still flown over the British camp today.

Shorty on
  • Options
    tumblr_lvrepdUwQv1qzyxuio1_500.jpg

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Brb, @ omgb. Nmh.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    psmd m i rite

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The original terminator is such an under rated movie.

Sure two pretty much Defined the modern day action movie. But the first was such a cool amalgamation of sci fu, horror and action. It really is very unique.

• Options
    "Parents Suck Mad D" still sounds like its in code!

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    tumblr_lvrepdUwQv1qzyxuio1_500.jpg

Let's all have a SBBQ on my D*

*Dick

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Little known fact about terminator 2.

What year do you think it is set in?

It was released in 1991.

And there isn't anything explicit that makes you think otherwise.

However.

In the scene where the T-1000 looks up John Connor it has his birthdate listed in 1984 and his age as 11.

The movie is actually set in 1995.

James Cameron was such a vissionary he knew kids would always love guns n roses.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    James Bond has a very strong reputation as a Cold War spy, fighting the Soviets

but the truth is that in nearly every one of his Cold War-era films, he's pitted against a villain who's aligned with no particular nation

the sole exception being For Your Eyes Only

and, arguably, Goldeneye, though Ourumov was a Soviet traitor and the film was made well after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Shorty on
  • Options
    tumblr_lvremqZGy81r0ovh0o1_400.jpg

• Options
    Blake T wrote:
    The original terminator is such an under rated movie.

Sure two pretty much Defined the modern day action movie. But the first was such a cool amalgamation of sci fu, horror and action. It really is very unique.

My dad's two favorite movies are Terminator and True Lies.

He let me watch True Lies when I was nine or ten; at one point in the movie, Schwarzenegger is trying to convince Tom Arnold to help him mess with his wife

and Schwarzenegger is all, "you have to help me, I've got dirt on you" (or something to that effect)

Arnold says, "You've got nothing on me, I'm as clean as a preacher's sheets!"

"How about the time you blew a six-week operation because you were getting a blowjob?"

when I heard this line, I looked over to pops and said, "What's a blowjob?"

and he said, "All you need to know is, they're awesome."

• Options
    tumblr_lvreh29w0l1qei2oko1_500.jpg

this parasite can grow up to 30ft long (it only lives in stingrays though)

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

You can buy a bag of mints from a discount store for like 60 cents

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote:

You can buy a bag of mints from a discount store for like 60 cents

Yeah if you can't afford mints for your dinner party, you probably don't have any friends anyway.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    if you can't afford mints for your dinner party

I'm terrified to see what you served as a main

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Judging by the mint recipe, I'm going to assume soap shavings and a nice aged bottle of Listerine.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Mark Wahlberg has three nipples.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Lars wrote:
    Judging by the mint recipe, I'm going to assume soap shavings and a nice aged bottle of Listerine.
    Remember, you can mix a packet of orange drink mix with your chilled Listerine for a refreshing cocktail.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Re: Fred Rogers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXEuEUQIP3Q

goes from having a senator being insultingly dismissive to reading him the lyrics of a children's song

• Options
    young Rogers looks a bit like Edward Norton

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Margarazzi wrote:
    I choose to believe every one of those is true re: Fred Rogers.

I sure as hell hope so. It's truly inspiring that someone could be so fundamentally good.