Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PAX East 2012 BYOC Info/FAQ - Post-Event Feedback starts on page 14

1235715

Posts

  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    nollie wrote:
    So i was perusing the interwebs the other day and stumbled across this post on the forums http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/4270420
    I think you know where I'm going with this?
    In the past years I thought it would be cool to try something like a byoc raid but people would have to either all make new characters on the same realm or pay money to switch them it just seemed like too much of a pita...
    But now we just get each others realids bam! raid!
    Sooo I was wondering if there would be any interest in this? :D

    You are free to try and organize your own games and whatnot in BYOC, I don't think it will be an official contest though.

    If you are trying to get something big going in the room and need some help doing so, come find me and I can make an announcement to see if any other people are interested. Alternatively we usually have a chatroom or forum on the intranet site that you could use to get a game going.

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • VapokVapok [E] PC Room Deputy Manager BostonRegistered User regular
    BigRed wrote:
    Shuttles and other SFF PCs dont have much utility as a Laptop does.

    It all depends how many LANs you want to travel for I suppose :P If you want to go to many far away LANs then a Small form factor PC would be a wise investment.

    I built a very fast SFF PC just last year, with parts off of Newegg. I'll have it with me during PAX. It's the size of a toaster and fits (albeit snugly) in a large Swiss Army backpack. But has three drives 1 SSD, and 2 1 TB SATA's, a GTX 580, 16 GB Ram, and i7-2600K. The thing packs a punch.

    I also only spent $1500 total. Like BigRed said, not much utility as a laptop, but if you go to a lot of LAN's it's definitely worth it. It also works nicely as your normal desktop PC as well.

    I do cringe at the thought of "laptops" at a LAN, but I also -get it-. There is a FedEx location at the BCEC, and with proper insurance and handling requirements, I would ship pretty much anything, but it's also a personal preference.

    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok - PAX PC Room Deputy Manager - PAX Security
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    Vapok wrote:
    BigRed wrote:
    Shuttles and other SFF PCs dont have much utility as a Laptop does.

    It all depends how many LANs you want to travel for I suppose :P If you want to go to many far away LANs then a Small form factor PC would be a wise investment.

    I built a very fast SFF PC just last year, with parts off of Newegg. I'll have it with me during PAX. It's the size of a toaster and fits (albeit snugly) in a large Swiss Army backpack. But has three drives 1 SSD, and 2 1 TB SATA's, a GTX 580, 16 GB Ram, and i7-2600K. The thing packs a punch.

    I also only spent $1500 total. Like BigRed said, not much utility as a laptop, but if you go to a lot of LAN's it's definitely worth it. It also works nicely as your normal desktop PC as well.

    I do cringe at the thought of "laptops" at a LAN, but I also -get it-. There is a FedEx location at the BCEC, and with proper insurance and handling requirements, I would ship pretty much anything, but it's also a personal preference.

    Yeah PAX BYOC is pretty much my only LAN activity, so building a small machine specifically for it won't have the utility that a laptop would for me at other times, though being honest the fact that I'm not even sure I would use a laptop is making me hesitate at spending the money on one.

    If I go the laptop route I will probably still bring a monitor, keyboard and mouse, all of which I can easily pack into my carry on.

    I did enjoy bringing my rig last year and a few people commented on my case, which was hard to miss with the big red glowing phoenix symbol on the front, but I dunno I guess I'm overly paranoid when it comes to my baby.

    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Hotel [X] Travel Approved [X] BYOC Pass [ ] 3-day PAX pass [X]
    East Buttoneering? - Buttons in progress...
    brigadebanner2013.png
  • FartmancerFartmancer Registered User regular
    I'm with you, Ransim. I am seriously considering either purchasing a "gaming laptop" or building a smaller form factor machine. I currently have an Antec P182 case, which is a really nice case with lots of space but it is also really damn heavy. I just took it to MAGFest this weekend and just carrying it from the parking garage down to the LAN area was a bear, even with the carrying strap I got with my first motherboard years ago. I can imagine how difficult it will be to get it not only on the train in Baltimore but from South Station to my hotel and then to the convention center the next day (I am arriving in Boston on Thursday). Just thinking about it is pissing me off. I appreciate the suggestions you guys have given here. My friends did BYOC two years ago, but I wasn't there. We didn't do it last year. It sounds like a lot of fun, I look forward to it!

  • testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    I got one of the ASUS gaming laptops specifically for LANs. Digging out and lugging around my desktop is just too much hassle, and the laptop performs better anyway. Maybe next year I'll have the dollars for a micro-ITX form factor upgrade, but this year it'll be the laptop. Sorry to make you cringe, @Vapok. :(

    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | Backloggery: TestSubject23 | PSN: testsubject23
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I go to smaller/shorter LANs with an alienware M17X. Laptops aren't unwelcome. At least you are there gaming!

    For long LANs (like 4day events... one of which i'm going to in Feb) I bring my full desktop.

    If I was just attending PAX BYOC id probably just bring my alienware, Mainly cause I don't like carting my 100+lb desktop very far... and the BCEC is hueg.

    BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • VapokVapok [E] PC Room Deputy Manager BostonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Sorry to make you cringe, @Vapok. :(

    Don't worry about me! I didn't say laptops were unwelcome. =) There are some super cool Alienware laptops that I'm usually jealous of, like BigRed's.

    Vapok on
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok - PAX PC Room Deputy Manager - PAX Security
  • FuzzDadFuzzDad Registered User
    I wish I could build a lan PC ($$$$) just for PAX...but I'll have to bring my massive rig because I have this trip ($$$), my daughter is getting married in the fall ($$$$$$) and my son in December and his wedding is a destination wedding (Hawaii...$$$$$)...can you say Ramen noodles ($) for the rest of the year?

  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    So while we are talking rigs.

    Whats everyone's feelings on laptops?

    I'm currently looking at a Sager 5175 with a few mods, like upping it to a core i7. I'm looking at around 1000-1200 to spend, anyone have any experiences they wouldn't mind chiming in?

    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Hotel [X] Travel Approved [X] BYOC Pass [ ] 3-day PAX pass [X]
    East Buttoneering? - Buttons in progress...
    brigadebanner2013.png
  • FartmancerFartmancer Registered User regular
    ransim wrote:
    So while we are talking rigs.

    Whats everyone's feelings on laptops?

    I'm currently looking at a Sager 5175 with a few mods, like upping it to a core i7. I'm looking at around 1000-1200 to spend, anyone have any experiences they wouldn't mind chiming in?

    I'll second that. I get a referral bonus for helping someone get hired at my office and I have been planning on putting that toward a new PC. At this point, I may consider a laptop but that makes me cringe when I think about when something inevitably breaks in it. I might just do a smaller form factor desktop.

    Thanks for this thread, by the way. It contains valuable information, especially for a first time BYOC attendee.

  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    II view laptops as a highly personal thing rather than just a computer so its honestly up to you. If you buying purely on specs then you sound right on :P

    I buy them based on keyboard quality, touchpad quality, screen quality (matte vs glossy, and resolution), weight, and above all aesthetics .

    Either that or I just use laptops far too often at work, heh.

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote:
    II view laptops as a highly personal thing rather than just a computer so its honestly up to you. If you buying purely on specs then you sound right on :P

    I buy them based on keyboard quality, touchpad quality, screen quality (matte vs glossy, and resolution), weight, and above all aesthetics .

    Either that or I just use laptops far too often at work, heh.

    Well my experience with laptops is pretty much non-existent except for a Acer netbook, so those sort of aesthetics I'm looking for as well.

    The hardware I have down, I've done some research so I'm pretty comfortable as far as the specs go, but what I don't really know is how important some of those aesthetics are. Does matte versus glossy really make a difference, are different types of keyboards better. I know that touch pads vary, the one on my Acer aspire angers me whenever I use it.

    That's what I'm asking. Does anyone have specific experience with specific items or laptops in that range and any pro tips for a laptop noob on things to look for basically.

    Besides PAX BYOC it'll primarily be for dev work and lite use away from my desktop. It doesn't need to be pretty, functional and utilitarian is fine.

    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Hotel [X] Travel Approved [X] BYOC Pass [ ] 3-day PAX pass [X]
    East Buttoneering? - Buttons in progress...
    brigadebanner2013.png
  • lirelentlirelent Registered User regular
    I think you've been hanging out in those experimental retail stores too much bigred, but you are right. I like my apple laptop because it's the only touchpad I can stand and the screen is FANTASTIC.

  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ransim wrote:
    BigRed wrote:
    II view laptops as a highly personal thing rather than just a computer so its honestly up to you. If you buying purely on specs then you sound right on :P

    I buy them based on keyboard quality, touchpad quality, screen quality (matte vs glossy, and resolution), weight, and above all aesthetics .

    Either that or I just use laptops far too often at work, heh.

    Well my experience with laptops is pretty much non-existent except for a Acer netbook, so those sort of aesthetics I'm looking for as well.

    The hardware I have down, I've done some research so I'm pretty comfortable as far as the specs go, but what I don't really know is how important some of those aesthetics are. Does matte versus glossy really make a difference, are different types of keyboards better. I know that touch pads vary, the one on my Acer aspire angers me whenever I use it.

    That's what I'm asking. Does anyone have specific experience with specific items or laptops in that range and any pro tips for a laptop noob on things to look for basically.

    Besides PAX BYOC it'll primarily be for dev work and lite use away from my desktop. It doesn't need to be pretty, functional and utilitarian is fine.

    I haven't used a sager in 8 years so I cant really comment on what they are like now.

    Matte vs glossy screen makes a huge difference. Matte is far less glare (which gets awfully annoying on a laptop).
    lirelent wrote:
    I think you've been hanging out in those experimental retail stores too much bigred, but you are right. I like my apple laptop because it's the only touchpad I can stand and the screen is FANTASTIC.

    Yeah I know, I am spoiled by all the stuff I get to play with before its released :P

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    ransim wrote:
    That's what I'm asking. Does anyone have specific experience with specific items or laptops in that range and any pro tips for a laptop noob on things to look for basically.

    I have an ASUS G53JW. I'd endorse it to others - it's performing great, and it's pretty. Not as drool-worthy as the Alienware crop, but it also cost a whole lot less.

    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | Backloggery: TestSubject23 | PSN: testsubject23
  • proxy_personproxy_person Registered User
    Hello friends,

    I've skimmed through this thread but couldn't find an answer to my question.

    So I didn't get a 3 day badge in time (I thought I would be out of town), but now that I know I will be here in Boston I really want to attend the BYOC.

    I just bought 3 single day tickets (For Fri, Sat and Sun). Can I still register and buy my ticket for the BYOC event or am I totally screwed because I don't have the actual 3-day pass??

    Thanks for any info :)


  • FartmancerFartmancer Registered User regular
    Hello friends,

    I've skimmed through this thread but couldn't find an answer to my question.

    So I didn't get a 3 day badge in time (I thought I would be out of town), but now that I know I will be here in Boston I really want to attend the BYOC.

    I just bought 3 single day tickets (For Fri, Sat and Sun). Can I still register and buy my ticket for the BYOC event or am I totally screwed because I don't have the actual 3-day pass??

    Thanks for any info :)


    BYOC is good for all three days, you just need to be able to get into the convention itself. Three one-day passes should do, I think one of the guys here already answered as such earlier.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    Hello friends,

    I've skimmed through this thread but couldn't find an answer to my question.

    So I didn't get a 3 day badge in time (I thought I would be out of town), but now that I know I will be here in Boston I really want to attend the BYOC.

    I just bought 3 single day tickets (For Fri, Sat and Sun). Can I still register and buy my ticket for the BYOC event or am I totally screwed because I don't have the actual 3-day pass??

    Thanks for any info :)


    That was answered on the previous page actually :)
    BigRed wrote:
    Wodrith wrote:
    hmm question, site says you need a 3-day pass to register for the BYoC, what about 3 one-day passes? that work out? (dang my tardyness).

    Yes it does.

    You just have to be able to get *into* PAX to get into BYOC. That works via a 3day or some single days.

  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Added that question to the FAQ.

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • VapokVapok [E] PC Room Deputy Manager BostonRegistered User regular
    I have not used a Sager before at length, but a coworker of mine uses one for gaming while at work and it looks pretty slick. Though, not as aesthetically pleasing as say Alienware. The reviews I've read as well seem to back up the claims that it's a good competitive gaming laptop.

    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok - PAX PC Room Deputy Manager - PAX Security
  • VapokVapok [E] PC Room Deputy Manager BostonRegistered User regular
    lirelent wrote:
    I like my apple laptop because it's the only touchpad I can stand and the screen is FANTASTIC.
    While /NOT/ a gaming laptop, I have the new MacBook Air and it is absolutely, hands down, the best utilitarian laptop that I've ever owned. It's fast, light, super portable, doesn't get hot, and the touchpad and screen are indeed fantastic. I have been able to run Portal, WoW, and Minecraft on it though at full resolution without too much issue, but as I said, not exactly a gaming laptop.

    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok - PAX PC Room Deputy Manager - PAX Security
  • lirelentlirelent Registered User regular
    Vapok wrote:
    lirelent wrote:
    I like my apple laptop because it's the only touchpad I can stand and the screen is FANTASTIC.
    While /NOT/ a gaming laptop, I have the new MacBook Air and it is absolutely, hands down, the best utilitarian laptop that I've ever owned. It's fast, light, super portable, doesn't get hot, and the touchpad and screen are indeed fantastic. I have been able to run Portal, WoW, and Minecraft on it though at full resolution without too much issue, but as I said, not exactly a gaming laptop.

    Mine is a mid-2010 15" i7 4gig macbook pro with hi-res screen. I have bootcamp on it with w7 64-bit enterprise installed and I've played full screen/full res bf3 on it without too much trouble (though obviously not at max settings).

  • beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I currently use an Alienware M17x. I just don't have space for a full size desktop.

    If you're looking into doing a LAN with a laptop, I highly recommend getting a cooling pad and connecting to a regular monitor and keyboard. You'll take up a bit more space, but your results should be grand.

    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • FartmancerFartmancer Registered User regular
    Looks like I'm probably just going to drive up from Baltimore. I decided I should use that money to pay off my credit cards like a good adult (damn it!).

  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    I use a Dell Precision M6500 with a Core i7 chip and 12GB of RAM, awesome gaming system and has a nice 17" monitor to boot!

  • TipperzackTipperzack Registered User regular
    Just tried to pick a seat on the lanfest website and I am getting a black screen with just a drop down box of my tickets
    Plus if no one asked can we come earlier to setup our rigs?
    Zack

  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    edited January 2012
    Tipperzack wrote:
    Just tried to pick a seat on the lanfest website and I am getting a black screen with just a drop down box of my tickets
    Plus if no one asked can we come earlier to setup our rigs?
    Zack

    You cannot pick your seat for BYOC. That selection on the Lanfest website is only there because it's part of Intel's "template" for LAN events.

    In the past, BYOC participants have been allowed access to the BYOC area a little early on the first day of PAX (pre-10am on Friday) in order to set up. BigRed will likely have detailed information on that as we get close to PAX itself.

    zerzhul on
  • testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    BigRed wrote:
    Q: What time do you recommend (or require) people show up for BYOC check-in?
    A: Check in will start 2 hours before PAX opening. We aim to have it all complete an hour before PAX opens, to give people an hour to get their stuff hooked up and ready.

    This would imply that we'll be registering at 8am, with setup targetted for 9, if I'm not mistaken.

    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | Backloggery: TestSubject23 | PSN: testsubject23
  • TheTerribleManTheTerribleMan Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote:
    You are free to try and organize your own games and whatnot in BYOC, I don't think it will be an official contest though.

    I would like to organize a wet t-shirt contest.

  • japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    I just use my iMac core i7 27" or 24" model. both are lightweight, easy to travel with, and quite powerful. It price also is inline with other machines when you compare apples to apples. (no pun intended). Having a true IPS display is worth the extra money.

  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote:
    You are free to try and organize your own games and whatnot in BYOC, I don't think it will be an official contest though.

    I would like to organize a wet t-shirt contest.

    Congratulations on living up to your username.

    East 2014 Status: Badge [ ] Hotel [ ] BYOC [ ] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    flatline wrote:
    BigRed wrote:
    You are free to try and organize your own games and whatnot in BYOC, I don't think it will be an official contest though.

    I would like to organize a wet t-shirt contest.

    Congratulations on living up to your username.

    You should see half the shit he says in IRC :P

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • lirelentlirelent Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote:
    flatline wrote:
    BigRed wrote:
    You are free to try and organize your own games and whatnot in BYOC, I don't think it will be an official contest though.

    I would like to organize a wet t-shirt contest.

    Congratulations on living up to your username.

    You should see half the shit he says in IRC :P

    or in real life for that matter...

  • VapokVapok [E] PC Room Deputy Manager BostonRegistered User regular
    Tipperzack wrote:
    Just tried to pick a seat on the lanfest website and I am getting a black screen with just a drop down box of my tickets
    Plus if no one asked can we come earlier to setup our rigs?
    Zack
    BigRed wrote:
    Q: What time do you recommend (or require) people show up for BYOC check-in?
    A: Check in will start 2 hours before PAX opening. We aim to have it all complete an hour before PAX opens, to give people an hour to get their stuff hooked up and ready.

    This would imply that we'll be registering at 8am, with setup targetted for 9, if I'm not mistaken.

    Correct, registration starts at 8. After you've registered, you're allowed into BYOC to begin setting up. Our hope is that by 10AM which is when PAX opens, everyone's rig is ready to go. Highly recommended that you ensure all windows updates, service packs, and game updates are installed prior to PAX to maximize your time spent in BYOC and to reduce time spent eating up the bandwidth. =)

    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok - PAX PC Room Deputy Manager - PAX Security
  • lirelentlirelent Registered User regular
    but bandwidth is so tasty...

  • TheTerribleManTheTerribleMan Registered User regular
    Hate the game, not the player. Or whatever.
    lirelent wrote:
    BigRed wrote:
    flatline wrote:
    BigRed wrote:
    You are free to try and organize your own games and whatnot in BYOC, I don't think it will be an official contest though.

    I would like to organize a wet t-shirt contest.

    Congratulations on living up to your username.

    You should see half the shit he says in IRC :P

    or in real life for that matter...

  • Exodus1Exodus1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Spoiler:
    Will we still be able to pick up BYOC badges on Thursday so as to make things faster/smoother Friday morning?

    ransim wrote:
    That's what I'm asking. Does anyone have specific experience with specific items or laptops in that range and any pro tips for a laptop noob on things to look for basically.

    I have an ASUS G53JW. I'd endorse it to others - it's performing great, and it's pretty. Not as drool-worthy as the Alienware crop, but it also cost a whole lot less.

    I have the 17" version of the same laptop, and it is great for gaming. That said, I kind of regret not just building a SFF pc, I thought I'd use the laptop for more than just LANs, but I rarely do, and it'd be nice to have more hard-drive space. Guess it depends on how many games etc. you'd like to have actively installed.

    Exodus1 on
  • testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Exodus1 wrote:
    I have the 17" version of the same laptop, and it is great for gaming. That said, I kind of regret not just building a SFF pc, I thought I'd use the laptop for more than just LANs, but I rarely do, and it'd be nice to have more hard-drive space. Guess it depends on how many games etc. you'd like to have actively installed.

    A SFF PC would've maybe cost a bit less and been almost as convenient, true.
    I enjoy being able to play games from the comfort of my bed, though. That's pretty keen. Even if it ends up in a 5am bedtime more often than not. :)

    Laptop HDDs are easy to upgrade, too.

    testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | Backloggery: TestSubject23 | PSN: testsubject23
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Exodus1 wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Will we still be able to pick up BYOC badges on Thursday so as to make things faster/smoother Friday morning?

    That will be the goal but we wont know until we are closer to PAX if that will be the case or not.

    Edit:
    Scratch that!

    Just got word that ill be able to do it on Thursday no problem :)

    BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Boston, MARegistered User regular
    BigRed wrote:
    Just got word that ill be able to do it on Thursday no problem :)
    Excellent - I've got Wednesday and Thursday off, so we can swing by and grab those Thursday. Should make things much smoother Friday morning . . .

    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&text=title&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
Sign In or Register to comment.