Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PAX East 2012 BYOC Info/FAQ - Post-Event Feedback starts on page 14

13468915

Posts

  • thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    stupid question here... since the 3 day passes are sold out, if i buy passes for each individual day plus the byoc pass, im still set right?

    edit: just bought 3 sets of passes for myself and friends. waiting on a final confirmation on my question before i pick up the byoc passes tho.

    thr4sher on
  • RooslinRooslin Registered User regular
    thr4sher wrote:
    stupid question here... since the 3 day passes are sold out, if i buy passes for each individual day plus the byoc pass, im still set right?

    edit: just bought 3 sets of passes for myself and friends. waiting on a final confirmation on my question before i pick up the byoc passes tho.

    yes that will work

  • thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    figured as much, but since the lanfest site says "must have a 3 day pass" i figured id check. every year i always do the 3 day pass... didnt expect it to sell out so fast this time around =P

    thanks!

  • thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    Also, BigRed... you were saying something about contest ideas...

    Prop Hunt was insanely fun when you did that back in 2010, id love to see that again. Paper airplanes is always good, and the spaghetti tower thing was hilarious. All good ideas for this year ;)

  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Registered User regular
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe

    Robot Ninjas Assassins Twitter
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    dyaballikl wrote:

    I don't allow shit like that :P

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    suggestion for the paper airplane contest this year... can we do it in an area where our planes dont get lost on top of the ledges on the sides of the hall? or maybe allow each person to make 2 planes, but you only get to use the 2nd plane if your first one ends up on the ledges... just a thought.

  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    thr4sher wrote:
    suggestion for the paper airplane contest this year... can we do it in an area where our planes dont get lost on top of the ledges on the sides of the hall? or maybe allow each person to make 2 planes, but you only get to use the 2nd plane if your first one ends up on the ledges... just a thought.

    That wont be a problem this year.

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • DeciusDecius Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote:
    thr4sher wrote:
    suggestion for the paper airplane contest this year... can we do it in an area where our planes dont get lost on top of the ledges on the sides of the hall? or maybe allow each person to make 2 planes, but you only get to use the 2nd plane if your first one ends up on the ledges... just a thought.

    That wont be a problem this year.

    Yeah Red got a step ladder.

    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • VapokVapok [E] PC Room Deputy Manager BostonRegistered User regular
    Decius wrote:
    BigRed wrote:
    thr4sher wrote:
    suggestion for the paper airplane contest this year... can we do it in an area where our planes dont get lost on top of the ledges on the sides of the hall? or maybe allow each person to make 2 planes, but you only get to use the 2nd plane if your first one ends up on the ledges... just a thought.

    That wont be a problem this year.

    Yeah Red got a step ladder.

    I don't think a step ladder will cut it this year... :)

    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok - PAX PC Room Deputy Manager - PAX Security
  • benswimmingbenswimming Registered User regular
    Vapok wrote:
    Decius wrote:
    BigRed wrote:
    thr4sher wrote:
    suggestion for the paper airplane contest this year... can we do it in an area where our planes dont get lost on top of the ledges on the sides of the hall? or maybe allow each person to make 2 planes, but you only get to use the 2nd plane if your first one ends up on the ledges... just a thought.

    That wont be a problem this year.

    Yeah Red got a step ladder.

    I don't think a step ladder will cut it this year... :)


    BYOC in the main convention hall, where the circus food was last year!

    CONFIRMED!

    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • VapokVapok [E] PC Room Deputy Manager BostonRegistered User regular

    BYOC in the main convention hall, where the circus food was last year!

    CONFIRMED!

    The main layout hasn't been finalized yet, so nobody knows. That would be nice though!

    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok - PAX PC Room Deputy Manager - PAX Security
  • RooslinRooslin Registered User regular
    anybody else in the dota 2 beta?

  • FuzzDadFuzzDad Registered User
    My son and I am...he'll be at BYOC to play if there's enough to have a match.

  • Tichinde925Tichinde925 Registered User regular
    I would like to use a headphone amplifier for my DT-990 Pro 600 ohm headphones. Is this possible without buying a 2nd seat?

  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I would like to use a headphone amplifier for my DT-990 Pro 600 ohm headphones. Is this possible without buying a 2nd seat?

    Power rules state two power outlets and a set amp limit. Unless you sit with someone whos using a laptop where they are only using one of their two plugs then the answer is "unlikely"

    We can flex the power rules a /little bit/ when it comes to chargers for devices like a 3DS, PSP, or cellphone but those use a fraction of an amp to charge. Sadly a headphone amp uses more than a cellphone charger.

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • cyntheticcynthetic Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, I'm not 100% certain I will be able to attend PAX (though I already have my 3-day pass) So... as much as I want this, I'm going to have to let it go to people who will definitely be there. Figures that last year I missed my chance, and this year I saw it in time. :P

  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    btw, LANfest fixed the registration list.
    http://lanfest.intel.com/?page=registrations&eventid=1838

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • FartmancerFartmancer Registered User regular
    Alright this is a post for all the BYOC attendees who have taken Amtrak to Boston. I was curious about the whole baggage thing, because I remembered the rule being only two carry-ons with specific size and weight restrictions. The website also mentions being able to check-in up to three items for free, and you can pay for additional items. I called Amtrak about that because I had no idea how that works. The first person I talked to on Saturday said there is no baggage check on the train from Baltimore to Boston, but I should call another number he gave me which turned out to be their shipping department, which was closed over the weekend. I spoke to a woman there today who explained that there is no baggage car if it is not an overnight train. She said I could go the station a day before my trip and send my items ahead on another train if I show them my ticket. I am not keen on this idea.

    So, my question is this: how has this worked out for people who have traveled by train and also brought a desktop PC and monitor with them?

    My friend is certain he saw people on previous trains just put their stuff at the front of the car, and they don't really check you on the two bag limit. I am trying to figure all of this crap out because I'd really like to attend BYOC, but it is looking like it will be rather difficult to get my PC up to Boston.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    Fartmancer wrote:
    Alright this is a post for all the BYOC attendees who have taken Amtrak to Boston. I was curious about the whole baggage thing, because I remembered the rule being only two carry-ons with specific size and weight restrictions. The website also mentions being able to check-in up to three items for free, and you can pay for additional items. I called Amtrak about that because I had no idea how that works. The first person I talked to on Saturday said there is no baggage check on the train from Baltimore to Boston, but I should call another number he gave me which turned out to be their shipping department, which was closed over the weekend. I spoke to a woman there today who explained that there is no baggage car if it is not an overnight train. She said I could go the station a day before my trip and send my items ahead on another train if I show them my ticket. I am not keen on this idea.

    So, my question is this: how has this worked out for people who have traveled by train and also brought a desktop PC and monitor with them?

    My friend is certain he saw people on previous trains just put their stuff at the front of the car, and they don't really check you on the two bag limit. I am trying to figure all of this crap out because I'd really like to attend BYOC, but it is looking like it will be rather difficult to get my PC up to Boston.

    That question might be better posted to the Train Thread.

  • FartmancerFartmancer Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    That question might be better posted to the Train Thread.

    Thanks, I'll try there as well.

  • thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    My friend lives in boston and he took amtrak to the philadelphia area for our GXL lan last spring. He took his PC, monitor, gear bag, and luggage on the train with him no problem. They even let him keep his tower and monitor on the seat next to him since the train wasnt even crowded. He had no problems on the way back either. you should be fine.

    Just a tip tho if you are planning on traveling with your pc/monitor. Unless you have a case like the CM storm scout with a carry handle you should really pick up a pc harness. check out www.geargrip.com for the one I always use, its well worth it. Also, if you still have the box your LCD came in, repack it in the box and if the box doesnt have a handle already pick up a second harness for the monitor box. Makes lan travel so much easier/safer.

    thr4sher on
  • FartmancerFartmancer Registered User regular
    thr4sher wrote:
    My friend lives in boston and he took amtrak to the philadelphia area for our GXL lan last spring. He took his PC, monitor, gear bag, and luggage on the train with him no problem. They even let him keep his tower and monitor on the seat next to him since the train wasnt even crowded. He had no problems on the way back either. you should be fine.

    Just a tip tho if you are planning on traveling with your pc/monitor. Unless you have a case like the CM storm scout with a carry handle you should really pick up a pc harness. check out www.geargrip.com for the one I always use, its well worth it. Also, if you still have the box your LCD came in, repack it in the box and if the box doesnt have a handle already pick up a second harness for the monitor box. Makes lan travel so much easier/safer.

    Thanks for the feedback. I have a harness for my case, it came with my first motherboard, a DFI LanParty II. Let me tell you I thought it was stupid at first but it is really awesome to have! I've had that damn thing for almost 9 years now.

  • lirelentlirelent Registered User regular
    A suggestion, since the main theater at East is already set up to stream to satellite locations in the BCEC (including the hallways which is cool). It'd be awesome if BYOC got it's own screen to display the main theater stream, at least for major things like the keynote, draw a panel, maybe the concerts?

  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    lirelent wrote:
    A suggestion, since the main theater at East is already set up to stream to satellite locations in the BCEC (including the hallways which is cool). It'd be awesome if BYOC got it's own screen to display the main theater stream, at least for major things like the keynote, draw a panel, maybe the concerts?

    Thats actually one of the things on my list to work on :P

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Im travelling by car from Connecticut to Boston. Only a 2 hour ride, so im not worried, but what would be the best way to package my PC up to ensure that nothing gets damaged on the way up? I've done car rides before and my tower has never had a problem, but I don't really want to hold a 23" monitor all the way to boston..

    Also, what the heck LANFest? I was bumped from ticket number 198 to ticket number 200? Not that this is a problem- as long as I have a ticket I'm fine, but im confused on why my ticket got bumped up two numbers.

    Trandescent on
    brigadebanner2013.png

    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] BYOC Pass [X] 3-day PAX pass [X]
  • HandgimpHandgimp Registered User regular
    Im travelling by car from Connecticut to Boston. Only a 2 hour ride, so im not worried, but what would be the best way to package my PC up to ensure that nothing gets damaged on the way up? I've done car rides before and my tower has never had a problem, but I don't really want to hold a 23" monitor all the way to boston..

    Wrap a blanket around it a few times? I usually do that and wedge it firmly so it doesn't bounce into anything (we're talking lcd, right?)
    Also, what the heck LANFest? I was bumped from ticket number 198 to ticket number 200? Not that this is a problem- as long as I have a ticket I'm fine, but im confused on why my ticket got bumped up two numbers.

    Pretty sure the list is alphabetical and has no significance.

  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Im travelling by car from Connecticut to Boston. Only a 2 hour ride, so im not worried, but what would be the best way to package my PC up to ensure that nothing gets damaged on the way up? I've done car rides before and my tower has never had a problem, but I don't really want to hold a 23" monitor all the way to boston...
    I usually wrap in a blanket, then seatbelt into the back seat with the screen facing the seatback.

    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&text=title&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Registered User regular
    For the monitor, I use a pillow. Just take the base off and slide the monitor into the pillow case, display side against the pillow.

    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe

    Robot Ninjas Assassins Twitter
  • VapokVapok [E] PC Room Deputy Manager BostonRegistered User regular
    dyaballikl wrote:
    For the monitor, I use a pillow. Just take the base off and slide the monitor into the pillow case, display side against the pillow.

    This. Having gone to one too many LANs where someone's monitor has been wrecked during travel, making sure that the glass/LCD facing side is against something soft and protective is the best way to ensure nothing gets borked.

    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok - PAX PC Room Deputy Manager - PAX Security
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Also, what the heck LANFest? I was bumped from ticket number 198 to ticket number 200? Not that this is a problem- as long as I have a ticket I'm fine, but im confused on why my ticket got bumped up two numbers.

    The number doesn't mean anything.

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • MagnifiedXMagnifiedX Registered User regular
    Vapok wrote:
    dyaballikl wrote:
    For the monitor, I use a pillow. Just take the base off and slide the monitor into the pillow case, display side against the pillow.

    This. Having gone to one too many LANs where someone's monitor has been wrecked during travel, making sure that the glass/LCD facing side is against something soft and protective is the best way to ensure nothing gets borked.

    For Towers, I like to place it behind the passenger seat in the footwell, and then I move the seat back until the tower is held in place. It won't survive a crash, but it will prevent shock damage.

    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    Also, what the heck LANFest? I was bumped from ticket number 198 to ticket number 200? Not that this is a problem- as long as I have a ticket I'm fine, but im confused on why my ticket got bumped up two numbers.

    The list is sorted alphabetically ;)

  • KilonumKilonum [E] West of Boston, East of WorcesterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Fun part for my journey is figuring out how to get from South Station to the Westin with my tower, which weighs in at a guesstimated 70lbs.
    I already have a folding 2 wheel hand truck for it, and the train platforms are level at both ends for the train.

    Kilonum on
    9kcFSJ7.png

    Pax East 2014 checklist: Accomodations [X] Travel [X] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    Jagged wrote:
    Any news if there will be a tournament for this at BYOC?

    This was merged from a thread entitled Battlefield 3, since it is now out of context. I don't have any sort of answer though.

  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Whoever merged that is bad.

    PC Tournaments are not related to BYOC at all, they are own separate thing. If we do tournaments again in PC room it will have its own thread.

    Also keep in mind PAX isnt a good location for tournaments, PAX doesn't believe in huge high level prizes for tournaments (there have been two times where there's a huge prize, out of a ton off tournaments). So if you are expecting anything more than a medal for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place then you are going to be disappointed.

    The vast majority of the prize pool (like 90%) goes right into BYOC contests and whatnot.

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Last year intel put up some prizes for a few of the official tournaments. There were a few SSDs, some cases, and i think headsets. Honestly tho, the best prizes come from the random events in the BYOC. i7 CPU for a wiki race? Amazing.

    Personally, i just love the competition, so I always look forward to the official tournaments. Hoping that you guys do TF2 again this year, and id LOOOOOVE to see some Battlefield 3 (team deathmatch), and Tribes: Ascend in the official tournaments this year!

    thr4sher on
  • VapokVapok [E] PC Room Deputy Manager BostonRegistered User regular
    thr4sher wrote:
    Last year intel put up some prizes for a few of the official tournaments. There were a few SSDs, some cases, and i think headsets. Honestly tho, the best prizes come from the random events in the BYOC. i7 CPU for a wiki race? Amazing.

    Personally, i just love the competition, so I always look forward to the official tournaments. Hoping that you guys do TF2 again this year, and id LOOOOOVE to see some Battlefield 3 (team deathmatch), and Tribes: Ascend in the official tournaments this year!

    If by last year, you mean Prime '11, Intel did have their own booth in between BYOC and PCFP. They had their own computers and ran their own tournaments, for their own game, which they were trying to demo and promote. The prizes were pretty rad, but were totally Intel's doing and not BYOC managed. On the same token, nVidia at Prime '11 did the same thing with BF3. Again, though, not BYOC related.

    I personally would love to see a revival of the oldest <insert pc comonpent here> smash fest.

    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok - PAX PC Room Deputy Manager - PAX Security
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    Wasn't there a "smash" your mouse contest last year? Also didn't some guy rebuild his entire system during East cause he won a case and he got some other stuff if he rebuilt his system right then and there?

  • jugernughtjugernught Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I was wondering if CPU mag was going to be there this year. Last year a few of us disappointed that they were not there. We had built some very nice custome rigs.

    jugernught on
13468915
Sign In or Register to comment.