As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Games that Conclude with Authority?

NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Games and Technology
Hey all,

As I sift through the last few years in gaming, I'm noticing a strange trend - otherwise amazing games that have a downright flaccid conclusion.

Uncharted 2, God of War III, Arkham Asylum/City, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood... immaculately designed games that then drastically drop in quality during the last ten percent or so of gameplay.

So I have to ask - which games in this generation have bucked the trend and kicked an unholy amount of ass for its finale?

Red Dead Redemption would be at the top of my list, and I'm also strangely reminded of Vanquish.
I've never seen a game pull off the "your allies are now your enemies" twist quite as effectively. I actually got chills when I realized that the game forced me to stop shooting Soviet robots and start killing flesh and blood soldiers.

NaturalNarcissist on

• WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say this is necessarily a recent trend, but it stems from troubled development. When you build the last part of the game last, then when crunch comes it will have to sacrificed and truncated.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Are you talking narrative wise or just gameplay wise? Narrative wise I'd have to strongly disagree with Arkham City, especially if they stick to it.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I agree, a lot of endgames suck lately. Everyone wants to make An Epic Trilogy© nowadays.

Nier had one hell of a finale, some gut wrenching fights in the end.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    So I have to ask - which games in this generation have bucked the trend and kicked an unholy amount of ass for its finale?

Mass Effect 1
    Dead Space 1&2 (1 moreso than 2)
    Dead Rising was extremely consistent, which may or may not be your thing
    Braid
    Limbo

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Portal 2's ending really stands out in my mind.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Brotherhood, really? Brotherhood's final segments were fantastic.

• NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    I figured a good chunk of this would be open for debate...

Arkham City
    Protocol Ten is a poor reveal and Hugo Strange is completely wasted. The Joker's death is a bold move for the franchise, but its also held back by the Clayface "twist" and the abruptness of the ending.
    I just think that for a game that included Crime Alley with chalk outlines and a note by Strange, the climax felt rushed and incomplete. You have Hugo Strange figure out that Batman = Wayne, you record a ton of dialogue that fleshes him out in the audio logs, only to have him taken down with a standard predator level and then a weak cutscene?

Brotherhood
    The Desmond finale was a rather nice epilogue, but Ezio's final sequence is based on the incredibly poor "control the apple" mechanic. Cesare and Ezio's big fight is a damp squib of an action sequence, and Ezio is never able to fully unleash his Assassin Brotherhood.

I can't really separate gameplay from narrative, since ideally the two should be working in concert. Portal 2's ending really does pack a whallop, but the same goes for every title Valve does. Episode Two, anyone?

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I thought the finale for Dragon Age: Origins was pretty incredible. Hell, the entire ending sequence from Landsmeet onward is amazing.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is basically a poll thread.

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.