As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Just curious, given that the former is mainly a laxative and the latter's actually been shown to have benefits for human performance.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    ah, yeah. well, it did actually help me sleep better, and the poo wasn't a problem if i ramped up the dosage as they recommend.

poo
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    What if you eat your vegetables like an adult and don't have any trouble pooping? Does ZMA just wreck you or is it still cool?

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    What if you eat your vegetables like an adult and don't have any trouble pooping? Does ZMA just wreck you or is it still cool?

You basically can break earth's atmosphere with one powerful shit.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Yeah that first one that I copped yesterday morning was incredibly destructive. I'm a high fiber kind of guy, too so I think we can conclude it was the magnesium that did it.

On the other hand, I just knocked out 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep. No poop, no nosebleeds, no spontaneous human combustion.

I feel excellent actually. The only weird side-effect this morning was waking up thinking about Miranda Kerr. I should be able to find a way to deal with that though.

That's not a weird side effect, that's being a man.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    its all that increased testosterone production :P

poo
    Yeah that first one that I copped yesterday morning was incredibly destructive. I'm a high fiber kind of guy, too so I think we can conclude it was the magnesium that did it.

On the other hand, I just knocked out 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep. No poop, no nosebleeds, no spontaneous human combustion.

I feel excellent actually. The only weird side-effect this morning was waking up thinking about Miranda Kerr. I should be able to find a way to deal with that though.

When I think of Miranda Kerr I think, "damn I could go for some ribs"

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    necroSYS wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    So, do any of the fine specimans in here do all-around bodybuilding? As usual, I've got qestions, this time regarding building strong abs.

My upper two or four abs are pretry damn close to righteous, but I'm lacking alot of strength/prominence in my lower abs, on down through the pelvic region; leglifts don't really seem to be doing much, and this is after aboot five months of work. Having a pretty awesome set up top, and then random flabbiess around the belt is disconcerting for an obnoxiously vain guy like me.

Any advice from bigmanbros who've gotten results in this area?

If you can catch @necroSYS he might have some bodybuilding thoughts.

What bodyfat percentage are you?

Abs (especially lower abs) don't really pop until you're well below 10%. For most people, it doesn't happen until you're below 7%.

Oh... Shit, ok. I'm not even in that neighborhood. So... I guess I should feel pretty boss about my abs showing as much as they do.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote: »

When I think of Miranda Kerr I think, "damn I could go for some ribs"

That sounds like a pretty great night, actually.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Squats 4x5x245 and deadlifts 4x6x385 yesterday. Anything over 4 reps should count as cardio. Vision started to get cloudy at the edges on some of those last deadlift reps

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    DL who does sets of 6 of heavy deadlifts? Honestly man, making the rest of us (ok maybe just me) look bad.

edited March 2012
    Squats 4x5x245 and deadlifts 4x6x385 yesterday. Anything over 4 reps should count as cardio. Vision started to get cloudy at the edges on some of those last deadlift reps

The first time I did 225 on deadlifts I did 4x8s and I almost passed out. It kind of gave me insight to why people like asphyxiation during sex.

mrt144 on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    You doing Ed Coan's (supposed) deadlift routine? That's a great high volume deadlift program.

I like the 8x5 speed sets, where you lift, rest no more than 60 seconds and hit it again.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    [double post]

Kakodaimonos on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote: »

The first time I did 225 on deadlifts I did 4x8s and I almost passed out. It kind of gave me insight to why people like asphyxiation during sex.

The first time I did 225 was like two weeks ago. I did 4x5 and just had to lie down between each set to get my breath back because damn. Then I tried up to 235 last week and was about the same about of damn.

This week I dunno because I like just tweaked my back walking up the stairs so I'm gonna have to see how it feels tomorrow.

• Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Ah the good 'ol random back tweak. Last time I had one of those I believe I was picking a t-shirt up off my bedroom floor. Good times.

• ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ah the good 'ol random back tweak. Last time I had one of those I believe I was picking a t-shirt up off my bedroom floor. Good times.

Did this a couple month ago.

Same general way too: I was leaning into the back seat of my wife's car to grab a pair of gloves. It really made no sense.

Comahawk on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    It makes more sense when you're bending over and pulling, I also did that a few months ago, and it was worse than this time.

But I wasn't even bending over this time! Just took a hop to start up the stairs and BAM, tweak city. At least I can lift with it, as I am currently doing.

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    The knurling on the bar I was deadlifting last time was horrible

It was sharp as hell but I didn't realize till I'd put all the plates on, I just thought I'd suck it up.

Then I bled everywhere from the first rep onwards :P

• DakataDakata Registered User regular
    This is awesome.

My friend is going to the state championships in power lifting and the guy is a little over 4 ft tall.

He's a beast. Broke the regional squat record and has been taking home first place throughout the season.

"Life is a storm my young friend, you will bask in the sunlight one moment be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes."
    What weight class?

edited March 2012
    Well yeah, midgets have a natural squat advantage. Dem short lever lengths.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So I've been having a hell of a time finding a reliable beginner routine for using only a single dumbbell. It's all I've got for now, but it seems I wont be able to work everything reliably.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    Yeah one dumbbell is kinda limited. You only have one?

edited March 2012
    I'm more or less broke at the moment, so it's my only real option. Only one's I've found is a Standing One Arm Dumbbell Press, and a Single Arm Row. The second one there is even iffy, since I don't have a bench.

Edit: Actually found a nice site with a few more, a Side Bend, Crunch, Triceps Kickback and Squat. My main problem is of course there aren't any routines built around this stuff cause what kind of loser only has one dumbbell? This loser :(

Okay strike all of that, every last bit of it. Actually took a look at my damned set and realized I DO have two dumbbell bars. If I remember right my issue was that I didn't have enough weights to be able to use two 10lb dumbbells at once. I guess that moves into a different kind of question then doesn't it?

I'm in the 300lb+ range for weight, how heavy should my dumbbell weight be started at? Keep in mind I can only reliably weigh them up to 20lbs, don't have enough plates to go higher.

Arthil on
    Your dumbbells should be heavy enough so that it's difficult to lift them after a certain amount of reps.

Pretty vague answer, but it really depends. Different exercises will call for different weights, as will different rep ranges (5 reps vs 10 reps), as will a whole bunch of other factors.

What are your goals? I'm assuming at 300lbs you're wanting to lose weight?

edited March 2012
    More or less, yeah. I know that the majority of my visible weight wont go for a while, most of it being in my gut, but I'm hoping this will just make me not feel like Pizza the Hutt every other day.

http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html Is something I came upon, but wasn't 100% sure if it would be good for me or not. I'd need to be doing floor dumbbell presses, since I don't got a bench.

Arthil on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Just altering your diet for the better and doing half an hour to an hour of cardio every day will result in noticeable losses. Maybe not instantly, but then again nothing worth having is instantaneous. But you go over your diet, cut out a lot of the excess fats and sugars, and get your butt into some exercise everyday, and you will feel better almost right away. The weight will start falling off, and soon your clothes will be really loose where they weren't before...

edited March 2012
    Arthil wrote: »
    More or less, yeah. I know that the majority of my visible weight wont go for a while, most of it being in my gut, but I'm hoping this will just make me not feel like Pizza the Hutt every other day.

http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html Is something I came upon, but wasn't 100% sure if it would be good for me or not. I'd need to be doing floor dumbbell presses, since I don't got a bench.

The 5x5 format in that blog is very similar to Starting Strength (which I think is 3x5). It's the standard format used for building some basic strength. Keep the workouts simple and stick to basic movements like that and you'll see results. Your diet needs to be under control though, too.

It's not as effective to substitute some of the stuff in there with pure dumbbell exercises, but if that's all you have right now, then just work with it. I would imagine that doing a bodyweight squat as an untrained 300lb guy would already be a challenge as it is.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    You doing Ed Coan's (supposed) deadlift routine? That's a great high volume deadlift program.

I like the 8x5 speed sets, where you lift, rest no more than 60 seconds and hit it again.

NAh just restarted on the power cycle so its higher reps for the first couple of weeks.

I couldn't do minute rests with those sets, i watched the clock on the wall for at least 3 minutes between sets

Is this program you're doing based on anything DL? Or is it one your giant friends homebrewed up?

One my giant friends received from gene bell, yeah. It's pretty simple. Heavy squats, light deadlift day 1, day 2 bench press, day 3 light squat heavy deads. Day 4 rack lockouts and/or floor presses.

Cool. I'm happy with 5-3-1 right now but I'm always interested in the other kinds of programs people do.

edited March 2012

The 5x5 format in that blog is very similar to Starting Strength (which I think is 3x5). It's the standard format used for building some basic strength. Keep the workouts simple and stick to basic movements like that and you'll see results. Your diet needs to be under control though, too.

It's not as effective to substitute some of the stuff in there with pure dumbbell exercises, but if that's all you have right now, then just work with it. I would imagine that doing a bodyweight squat as an untrained 300lb guy would already be a challenge as it is.

Thanks for the advice you guys. I'm really in a position where dumbbells only work more because of space constraints than anything else. Hell the ceiling in my basement is so low I've got to do exercises that call for high vertical lifts sitting in a chair.

I'm actually going out today, depending on what I can find I might see if I can pick up a good for my money bench.

Edit: Also I'm hoping just being actively doing this week by week will help me get more energy for other stuff, like cardio. I can get winded going up and down the basement steps if I'm in a hurry, for instance.

Arthil on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    i don't think a 5x5 routine is really viable when you only have a very small amount of wait and can't increase it. It's really dependent on progression

You'd be alot better off trying to figure out a way to have your finances accomodate a gym membership rather than trying to buy shitty equipment

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    edited March 2012
    That's one of the reasons I'm going out today, hoping to get more weight plates. At the moment they only go up to 20lb per arm.

Edit: Not much luck finding vinyl plates, though =/.

Arthil on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    still think you'd be better off with a gym membership but your call

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    It's not like I'd be embarrassed to go to a gym, I'm shaped kinda like a bodybuilder rather than looking like a... well, blob. Mostly it's an issue of getting to said gym, and also being able to keep up said membership.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It's not like I'd be embarrassed to go to a gym, I'm shaped kinda like a bodybuilder rather than looking like a... well, blob. Mostly it's an issue of getting to said gym, and also being able to keep up said membership.

I do think that the gym is a better use of the money if you have it; it is a lot easier to graduate to new exercises when the resources are ready to go and not something you have to go out and buy. I have to say I would not be making the gains and progress I am if I were bankrolling my own equipment.

tapeslinger on
This discussion has been closed.