As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    not gonna lie, it's always been a goal of mine to be able to say my arms are bigger than a man's legs

but i really don't have to go that far to find some skinny bastard, and that's just not impressive

I always thought I had some pretty chunky legs too. Not today apparently.

Also, I'm just about to run out of ZMA so while I was there I picked up a tub of RC's Resurrect PM. Had a couple of friends try it and rave about the quality of sleep they got on it so I'll give it a try. Sleeping properly is still one of my biggest weak points.

• Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    So last night was back day and I did some back hypers before deadlifts to stretch and wake everything up.

Holy shit, what a huge difference. My back felt solid as a tree, so I believe my poor hamstring flexibility was causing me to hunch. Also, my gym has pads on the ground outside the powerracks so I have been doing a controlled drop for the downward part of the lift and it feels so much better. Just need to work on sitting back when I lift and really press from the heels. Not sure my hips and back are getting fully extended at the same time.

I can't wait to deadlift some more. I love when form starts to come together - best feeling. Even if I am only using 155lbs.

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Hey TRB what gym do you train at? I know a couple of Kiwi PL blokes on Fitocracy, and I suspect one of them may train very close to you.

Powerhouse Gym in Wellington. New Zealand's powerlifting mecca. I am the little guy at this gym.

It's an amazing place, a lot of great people with decades of knowledge about the sport and a really strong atmosphere to train in. Impossible to get a big head when you turn around after a hard set of squats and see someone repping more than that on the bench.

Ok sweet. Not sure where these guys train, but I'm pretty sure at least one of them is in Welly.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Lookin good TRB, that's a sweet picture. Ron always seemed like a pretty cool guy who wasn't too full of himself, which he had every right to be.

Man I feel like crap right now but I reeaallly don't want to skip tonight, it's squat night and I think I figured out what my problem is! I have to go dominate!

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »
    Bench question. Does anyone have any guesses as to what would cause your hand to slide outward on the bar when doing a bench press (particularly under weight)? It's always the same hand. I've tried adjusting my grip to make my palms more parallel to the bar and squeezing like a bastard but I still have issues under heavy sets.

I'm guessing it's either a distinct lack of grip strength, or my arms are possibly too tucked/hands too narrow and the triceps are pushing my hand out on the upper portion of the lift. I'd welcome any other educated guesses though. My google-fu turned up little to nothing, and I have a hard time believing I'm a unique snowflake here.

Or you have sweaty hands or it's a crap bar or any number of other things.

Chalk up. I'm at least partially chalked for pretty much every exercise.

Are you dipping the bar to the right as you go up? And do you know when you're sliding your hands? Is it during the down movement, the push off the chest or during the upward press?

You could also try taping your hands to the bar and seeing when you feel the tape pulling to find out when you slide.

Good idea, I'll give that a shot.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Lifted alone for the first time in a month or so. As much as I enjoy lifting with my lovely training partner, there's something about going solo that is so zen. Right before my first set of squats, Rage Against the Machine's cover of Maggie's Farm comes on Pandora. Hooooo boy. Dove under the bar at the end of the "Maggie's brother.." verse, and I felt like I opened my eyes with four reps done. Great shit.

http://youtu.be/DrpEov061M8

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Been knocked flat on my back by this cold. I don't get sick often, but when I do etc, so no more training this week, just lots of eating.

• Options
    Nice work, Meth. Maggie's Farm is one of those songs that I like to crank out loud for lifting. Also when getting ready for work in the morning.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Edit: Double post.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I've been blaring this into my skull prior and after workouts lately, winds me up before and helps me wind down after.

http://maximalism.bandcamp.com/

Especially "The Tale of Big Jim"

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    So I'm developing an aching in my knees. Feels like it's right above the patella. Just a dull ache pretty deep in the joint that gets slightly worse when I sit for a long period of time or stomp my foot. Please don't tell me this is the onset of patellar tendinitis.

I will videotape my squats on Sunday and see how my knees are moving.

Popped four ibuprofen, goodnight bigmen

Methuselah on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Methuselah wrote: »
    So I'm developing an aching in my knees. Feels like it's right above the patella. Just a dull ache pretty deep in the joint that gets slightly worse when I sit for a long period of time or stomp my foot. Please don't tell me this is the onset of patellar tendinitis.

I will videotape my squats on Sunday and see how my knees are moving.

Popped four ibuprofen, goodnight bigmen

Consider also IT band tension upstream. 9 times out of 10 seems to be the cause of pain in the patella tendon. Get a tennis ball and a foam roller in there for 10 minutes a leg twice a day for 2-3 days and see if it helps. "The Stick" gets good mileage around that area too.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    i started doing a boxing type gym thing
    it is pretty good. i like punching things. a lot. i want to punch moving things eventually.

• Options
    Punching moving things is obviously the natural progression from punching imaginary / stationary things, so sounds like a reasonable goal to me!

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I just saw the wook himself on Art Mann Presents. I'm pretty sure.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    Well, finally got my sis to video me deadlifting and benching today, and god damn my form is crap. Time to deload and adjust, I guess.

I'm gonna stick the vids up here too - I'd really appreciate as much feedback as possible.

100kg Deadlift
    50kg Bench (Warm up)
    70kg Bench (1st Set)
    70kg Bench (2nd Set)
    70kg Bench (3rd Set)

Really demoralising too. Sigh, whatever, monday's a new day.

3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i've been reading this bulletproof knees book

both my knees are fucked up but i think stuff in this will help

it's a lot of mobility work, glute activation, posterior chain stuff, and single leg exercises etc

also some useful stuff about knee anatomy so i know what is going on and how tightness elsewhere can lead to knee issues etc

still going through it, but gonna work the stuff in here into my routine for my leg stuff

poo
  • Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    We're at the same numbers for bench and dead Praetor!

Speaking from my limited experience, I'd say you're not getting your arse nearly low enough for the deadlift, with very little involvement from the legs.

How tall are you, by the by?

• Options
    179 cm, so pretty much 5"11.

And yeah, my deadlift form is pretty atrocious. I think my setup's bad, which means just a terrible lift.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    hips lower, i had the same problem

gotta think of pushing away the floor with your feet, that's what people here told me when i posted a vid

poo
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    I think his hips are fine. The deadlift is not a squat. There shouldn't be significant involvement from the quads outside of dynamic stabilization.

Praetor, I did notice that you weren't resetting properly on the later reps. You still had slight rounding in your lower back, and that's how you're going to fuck up your back with deadlifts.

DL, seriously doubt it. Unless there was an episode entitled "Art Mann Presents: Molecular Biology Lab Work." Being in grad school, I don't do anything anymore.

• Options
    your doppelganger was at Stagecoach Festival in California then.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Gary Busey's been hitting the gym?

• Options
    i'll get a still off the dvr and post it up for comparison.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Praetor wrote: »
    Well, finally got my sis to video me deadlifting and benching today, and god damn my form is crap. Time to deload and adjust, I guess.

I'm gonna stick the vids up here too - I'd really appreciate as much feedback as possible.

100kg Deadlift
    50kg Bench (Warm up)
    70kg Bench (1st Set)
    70kg Bench (2nd Set)
    70kg Bench (3rd Set)

Beefcake! Those are some crazy lookin' weights.

Try not to flare your elbows out when you're benching.

Slider on
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    i've been reading this bulletproof knees book

both my knees are fucked up but i think stuff in this will help

it's a lot of mobility work, glute activation, posterior chain stuff, and single leg exercises etc

also some useful stuff about knee anatomy so i know what is going on and how tightness elsewhere can lead to knee issues etc

still going through it, but gonna work the stuff in here into my routine for my leg stuff

Hey Shakzar what book is it? Been looking to read up a bit more on how to keep knees healthy and build balance in the legs.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    I can't do squats. It's gotta be my knees.

Hate legs.

• Options
    I fucking love legs, like... squat and deadlift is probably my favorite of the four lifts I do.

• Options

100kg Deadlift
    50kg Bench (Warm up)
    70kg Bench (1st Set)
    70kg Bench (2nd Set)
    70kg Bench (3rd Set)

Your hips are good on your deadlift. If anything, a bit too low. Notice that you are starting the bar about 1.5"-2" in front of your midfoot, almost over your toes. It should be about an inch or so from your shins. Touch with your shins, grab the bar, and squeeze the chest down and forward without moving the bar forward. In subsequent reps, make sure you are setting your chest hard again. I think that's your biggest problem.

• Options
    Well, the initial appraisal of RONNIE COLEMAN'S SIGNATURE SERIES RESURRECT PM ULTRA CONCENTRATED SLEEP AND RECOVERY FORMULA is a good one.

Like all grape flavoured supps, it tastes like sweaty grape balls. Really quite awful. However, I am not above choking something down if it delivers the effect I'm after.

About ten minutes later I was drowsy and hit the pillow and was asleep in about 15 minutes. Have just woken up from an 11 hour sleep, woke once during the night because my arm had gone numb from lying on it but was back to sleep pretty quickly. So, for a guy who struggles to sleep for 7-8 hours straight (even when drunk) and normally gets about 5-6 while waking at least 3-4 times during the night, this was a significant improvement.

That said, I believe my sleep problems are heavily tied into my anxiety problems, which are definitely susceptible to a little placebo action. Additionally, I was tired as hell last night after just driving myself into the ground with work (worked 4 days, billed 6) so this could just be the week catching up with me. More research is needed, but this was a good first experience.

Now, this shit came with a sample of his pre-workout stim as well. Looks pretty standard, caffeine, tyrosine, creatine and some others I don't really recognise. However, I've already Colemaned half of this day, might as well do the rest with my deads/squats session.

Stims is an area where I have more experience, so I will report back on this one.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I got a good workout setup now

squats: 2x5 warmup sets, 3x10 work sets (at 140# today)
    bench: 2x5 warmup sets, 3x5 work sets (at 105# today, went up easily though so time to increase weight)
    upright rows: 3x10 #40 (need to increase weight)
    db bar curls: 3x10 #40
    pull downs: gonna do 3x10 sets, today did 60, 70, 80#
    back extensions: 3 sets of 20 or more

need to increase the weight a bit on some of my pieces, but today was a good day

• Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys, is awesome. I'll see if i can implement it properly next wed, assuming that diablo 3 lets me go.

For this weekend... time to learn to power clean. Management decided that the power cage is "unsafe" and is replacing it with another damn smith machine. Front squats its gonna have to be till i move in August.

Fuck. :(

• Options
    That felt fucking great.

Admittedly the weight I was doing for the couple of months previous was too low to put proper warming up into use, but I felt so nice and loose thanks to them. Took the advice from someone who suggested warming up for deadlifts with deadlifts is silly since you're good and warmed up from the squatting as well.

I've never pushed up out of the hole with that kind of ease and energy before, and even my presses felt easier before I was nice and warmed up. No walking today though, got a bit of extra lifting in today moving furniture.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Thanks for the feedback guys, is awesome. I'll see if i can implement it properly next wed, assuming that diablo 3 lets me go.

For this weekend... time to learn to power clean. Management decided that the power cage is "unsafe" and is replacing it with another damn smith machine. Front squats its gonna have to be till i move in August.

pee in every corner of that gym

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    So review of that pre-workout - nothing special. Tastes okay. A bit of a pep but nothing I couldn't have got from a cup of coffee.

• Options
    Fatty-McPhatFatty-McPhat Registered User regular
    Management decided that the power cage is "unsafe" and is replacing it with another damn smith machine

That's.....that's.... something allright. They're called "safeties" for a reason!

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Confidence in my racquetball game returned on Thursday after I slaughtered a couple newbies. I took 5 games. They took none. The victories left me with a slight empty feeling, but I relished the wins nonetheless.

Now I just need to find some motivation to hit the weights again. But, with my injury still plaguing the left side of my upper body, being able to lift a fraction of what I was able to lift last year makes me depressed and looking for the exit.

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular

Part of me wants to tell you to print up countless articles on the subject to try to educate them. I know they probably aren't interested and won't listen though. It's a shame man, sorry.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options

How's your training going, Texan? You been quiet lately.

• Options
    Hey the Wook made another cameo.

Wook, what is your training looking like these days (if you're still reading)?

This discussion has been closed.