As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Frat GuiseFrat Guise Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I should have asked this earlier, but what are some back-strengthening exercises?

I tend to hurt my lower back a lot (most likely the result of videogames and internet...they say not to lean forward, but you just can't help it), and I don't want to fuck myself over once I go heavy on the weights.

A properly performed (and properly progressed) deadlift will build back strength like no other. If you are really deconditioned (I don't mean that disparagingly), some body weight back extensions and/or "bird dogs" aren't bad movements.

Frat Guise on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Frat Guise wrote:
    I should have asked this earlier, but what are some back-strengthening exercises?

I tend to hurt my lower back a lot (most likely the result of videogames and internet...they say not to lean forward, but you just can't help it), and I don't want to fuck myself over once I go heavy on the weights.

A properly performed (and properly progressed) deadlift will build back strength like no other. If you are really deconditioned (I don't mean that disparagingly), some body weight back extensions and/or "bird dogs" aren't bad movements.

Never heard of it before. Looked it up (lord I love YouTube) and will try it out, thanks.

Also, I've been trying to find out the best way to do crunches. I've read all sorts of different strategies, from keeping your hands behind your neck or folded across your chest, to pushing with your upper torso instead of your stomach.

What's the best way to do it, and how do I work my lower abs in addition to upper?

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Don't do crunches. Do planks. Also go read through the Starting Strength wiki or better yet the book and do what it says. It will answer most of these questions you have.

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    I am firmly of the opinion that any exercise in which you are on the ground and there are no weights involved is a big fucking waste of time.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
    I do feel tightness on my stomach when doing crunches, so it does have some effect.

Problem is I feel a bit of strain on my back too, so I'm going to give planks a try.

• ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    I am firmly of the opinion that any exercise in which you are on the ground and there are no weights involved is a big fucking waste of time.

Agreed, but how about exercises where you're suspended in the air with no weights involved? Because hanging leg raises are boss.

"Be excellent to each other."
    Then you are the weight

Today I'm planning to use dumbbells to perform squats, deadlifts, and a few other exercises to start off with. Probably will jog later today too just to get the full effect.

Just wanted to know if dumbbells are as effective for these routines, or if a bench bar is more recommended. I plan to move to that eventually, but right now dumbbells is more easily accessible and (more importantly) private.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    BEAST! wrote:
    bleh, i've asked this before shazkar, what gym do you go to again?
    we are moving to rockefeller center so i will have to get a new gym, i THINK i'll just go for something like nysc near there so that i can still go run in the park but i figure i might as well ask to see what train lines are near you

http://g.co/maps/s78y5 that one

probably a bit out of your way and nysc is probably convenient, but it is a good gym

but convenience is probably the most important factor

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    today i go do bench

i just took down a whataburger patty melt

i am letting that settle for an hour before i go lift

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Ok yeah that's where I thought it was. *siiiiiiigh* ...I was hoping I was wrong and the M happened to pass by there, if that were the case I'd be much less hesitant.

I COULD take the M and switch to the J/Z, then from there take the N/R to work but that's kinda inconvenient....I'll see how I like the places near me first I guess

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    Just wanted to know if dumbbells are as effective for these routines, or if a bench bar is more recommended. I plan to move to that eventually, but right now dumbbells is more easily accessible and (more importantly) private.

How're you supposed to look impressive for the ladies in private?

You can only go so far with dumbbells, but if it's still heavy for you it must be effective.

"Be excellent to each other."
    Ha, this is all at home, not a gym. Gym prices are too high, and I have most of the equipment at home.

Would be a good excuse to hit up ladies, though. As embarrassing as it is to say, all this working out is powerleveling my libido something fierce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYFpAIxrD2c&hd=1

It doesn't help that many of the female instructors are freaking hot.

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    don't say powerleveling in any situation

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    But see, it's funny, because I play RPGs.

It's super effective.

• Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited January 2012

Not sure I follow. Pushups? Handstand pushups? Any variety of gymnastics style ground work, which requires great upper body and core strength?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited January 2012
    Snugglesworth, seriously man, grab a copy, or even just read the online wiki version of Starting Strength. It covers stuff like the deadlift very thoroughly. Even just watch the YouTube videos instructed by Rippetoe.

Another good resource is the reddit /r/fitness FAQ. I'll link you to it in 15 mins when reddit is back up.

edit: hanging leg raises are good for lower abs.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • FarthingFarthing Registered User regular
    after not going to the gym for a year and a half because gyms are expensive, I am now back in the game!

guys what are some good posterior deltoid exercises? Ideally it would also exercise other muscles since isolating one muscle seems like a way to spend a long time at the gym.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    TB everyone knows gymnasts are pussies.
    male_gymnast.jpg

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular

So what are some weightlifting routines I can add to keep the back strong?

Make sure to do some stretches for the muscles of the chest and find things that work the rear delt, mid and lower trap and rhomboids if you have computer guy posture.

Farthing facepulls work the rear delt and are a pretty solid exercise.
    In some cases you might have to do a bit of isolation work to the rear delt and mid/lower trap to catch them up.

And come on, there's nothing wrong with straight body weight exercises, there's a ton of good ones. You just can't rely only on them when you want to build big muscle.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
    edited January 2012
    Farthing wrote:
    after not going to the gym for a year and a half because gyms are expensive, I am now back in the game!

guys what are some good posterior deltoid exercises? Ideally it would also exercise other muscles since isolating one muscle seems like a way to spend a long time at the gym.

Most exercises that require external rotation of the shoulder help build strength in the rear delts. See the bottom of this page if you're not sure what the movement looks like: http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

You could do isolated dumbell work like in that animated gif, but you'll also get a good amount of work by doing face pulls or rear-delt rows (which according to the diagram are more of a combination of transverse abduction/extension).

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    bleh

bench
    few sets of warmups, then 4x6x195
    close grip bench
    2 x 8 x 185 (really destroyed my shoulder for some reason)

db incline
    2x6x45's? hooboy exhausted and out of shape

and then

4 x 8 x lat pull down, bent-over triceps extension, tricep press down NO REST OMG
    can't remember the weight but goddamn arms are fried

• hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    OK 2 months without any workout, started again without any big man stuff, just some sprints:

Got biking to the track.
    2 laps Warm up
    3x20 sec sprint max effort+10 sec rest
    Almost puked
    Then did it again
    Then almost puked
    Then biked home

I am so out of shape

hectorse on

Not sure I follow. Pushups? Handstand pushups? Any variety of gymnastics style ground work, which requires great upper body and core strength?

man if you are lying down on the ground while you are doing pushups then you are doing them wrong

also they are still a waste of time because you can work out the same muscles with weighted exercises and spend about a quarter of the time on it

naw, pushups still a solid exercise

Push ups are going to be a much better bet over bench for someone who's de-conditioned and starting out, better posture, less to worry about as far as form goes, less risk to the shoulder joints and 'core' work when starting ((though I hate even using the word core these days)). Now at some point you're going to want to bench to build more muscle but if someone's in lousy shape I'd definitely have them do push ups for a while before starting to bench. Push ups don't get enough credit.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I take it back, I'm not gonna shit on pushups

If you see me doing a sit up it is a sign of the apocalypse though

Yeah totally with you there. Sit ups are a horrible exercise, almost everyone's posture sucks and then they do an exercise where they curl the back way over in order to try to get a 6-pack. Turrible.

six inches and bridges baby

or planks, as some call them

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    six inches and bridges baby

or planks, as some call them

What is a 'six inch'?

Besides the cock in my arse, hurf durf.

• FarthingFarthing Registered User regular
    Thanks for the help guys

facepulls are on the agenda next session

where you raise your feet six inches off the ground while keeping a tight belly and your legs straight

oh and no sitting on your fucking hands or putting them underneath your back, that shit is for babies

put your hands over your belly and make it look like you're enjoying what you're going through

and you can do variations like keep your legs spread six inches off the ground or scissor kicks or whatever

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Oh yes, those.

and when regular six inches get too boring, just throw a plate on your quads!

same thing with bridges, too boring? put a plate on your back!

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Man, I like Fitocracy but it just doesn't have all the exercises listed that it needs to. Last time I went to gym, I came home and tried to log it all in but a few of the machine exercises just weren't on there so I had to improvise.

And six inches aren't on there. Do it have any other names?

• JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Schide wrote:
    And six inches aren't on there. Do it have any other names?

DL likes to call it "the first half"

<3 you DL

Yeah totally with you there. Sit ups are a horrible exercise, almost everyone's posture sucks and then they do an exercise where they curl the back way over in order to try to get a 6-pack. Turrible.
    where you raise your feet six inches off the ground while keeping a tight belly and your legs straight

oh and no sitting on your fucking hands or putting them underneath your back, that shit is for babies

put your hands over your belly and make it look like you're enjoying what you're going through

and you can do variations like keep your legs spread six inches off the ground or scissor kicks or whatever

I have an instructor who LOVES these, have to do the scissor kicks then hold 6 inches, then back to kicks, and back again over and over. It's brutal. I love ab work added onto things, I've never felt like an ab circuit after lifting was what hurt my recovery and they don't take much time or prep. Good stuff.

i do not sit

i simply aim in the direction of the object i'm interested in flopping on and fall away, trying to move my legs as little as possible

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Man I love me some pushups. Chest and shoulder exercise in a position that lets the scapula move freely was awesome for fixing my bad shoulder.

I'm on some kind of raw variant of sheiko at the moment and one of the key features is abs err'day. So far it's been hanging leg raises, cable crunches, regular crunches, russian twists, landmine russian twists, keg lunges, side bends and ab wheeling. A selection of any 3 to finish each workout.

I've done more goddamn ab work in the last 3 weeks than I have in the last year.

And when I take the shirt off...

No-one can tell.

Due to my layer of fat, ab work just makes me feel fat. The abs get swollen but you can't see them below the adiposity, so it's just an enlarged belly. Frowny face. The frowniest of faces.

This discussion has been closed.