As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Lest We Forget] Heat.Net

sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Games and Technology
Hey guys,

I was just having my morning coffee and gearing up for work when I random memory creeped into my minds eye. Does anyone remember the gaming website Heat.net? I was just a boy at the time, full of energy and love for games. I had no real taste for multiplayer gaming at the time, until I fell upon this site!

I believe the first game I played online was through their service called "Deathdrome". We played as little futuristic jet bikes and went at eachother in a deathmatch much like Twisted Metal. I also started playing the original Quake. I remember my close friend had the user name "Assholelicker" and no one thought much of it. He kept that name for a long time. lol

I'm not sure how long they kept that site running, but if I'm correct they were ahead of their time. Anyone else remember or have memories of this site?

I think I moved on to MSN gaming service after Heat.net closed. Played Jedi Knight 2 there for a lonnnng time. Wow, its amazing to think how far gaming has come.

sliver911 on

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    I remember. In fact I was just thinking about how Heat.net was awesome back then. It tried to fill an immense void. I made a good number of friends over the service.

I don't think it would work if anything like the sort relaunched today. Too much competition and more robust systems do the same thing.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Lest. Not less.

forumsig.png
  • sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
    Oops, thanks for the correction Darleysam!

Yeah Heat.net did fill the void very well. I did some reading about its demise. Apparently people were leaving their computers logged on all day in games and earning the heat points to buy things lol

Kids those days..

lol