As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sherlock] Lives: Season 3 January 2014

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    TeaSpoon wrote:
    I absolutely love the actor playing Sherlock, he is mesmerizing
    Absalon wrote:
    Here's hoping all three episodes are as strong this time. The second one from last season felt quite out of place.

Indeed. Episode 2 got quite silly at times, I thought 1 and 3 were much more enjoyable

and the ricocheting bullet line was ridicules

He has the most English name in the history of the world.

The Onion A.V. Club says that his name is so British, he counts as two British people.

His name is so British you can't pronounce it properly unless you're holding a cup of tea.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    People will find anything to complain about, it seems:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jan/03/sherlock-sexist-steven-moffat

(note: as a feminist, I had no problems whatsoever with this episode. I am obviously not feminist enough)

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Mail also had kittens over the saucy scenes pre-watershed.

And illustrated the article with large photos of said scenes in A FAMILY NEWSPAPER.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    It occurred to me that Cumberbatch would play an excellent Cheshire Cat in some kind of Wonderland adaptation. But yeah, aside from the close of the episode, thought this one was really great. Also pleased that they're not playing them just like a simple Jonathan Creek episode, murder, mystery, simple solution uncovered by a clever man, credits.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote:
    The Mail also had kittens over the saucy scenes pre-watershed.

And illustrated the article with large photos of said scenes in A FAMILY NEWSPAPER.

I am shocked that you are shocked.

Everyone should use: http://www.tomroyal.com/blog/2010/09/28/kittens-vs-the-daily-mail/

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    I am not shocked. They get outraged at disgusting images they reprint over 4-page spreads all the time.

• Options
    Bogart wrote:
    I am not shocked. They get outraged at disgusting images they reprint over 4-page spreads all the time.

Only when it's fruity ladies.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    Bogart wrote:

Only when it's fruity ladies.

True dat.

• Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    That was just amazing.

I liked the last couple of minutes. I expected it to happen, but then they faked me out and made me think it wasn't going to, so when it actually did I was surprised (again).

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I'll second the ending being unfitting. The rest of the episode was terriffic, though; easily the equal of episodes 1 and 3 of the first series.

I think it needed to end about a minute earlier.
    Right after the, uhm, er, text alert sound goes off, cut to black. Leave it to the audience to figure out.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jan/03/sherlock-sexist-steven-moffat

(note: as a feminist, I had no problems whatsoever with this episode. I am obviously not feminist enough)

To be fair, they do have a point. Though I enjoyed the episode, Moffat did basically turn a character who's competence comes from her intelligence into a character who's competence comes from being oh so sexy and polluting the minds of even the most chaste of men. Moffat writes really terrible depictions of women in general, and it's easy to forget because the rest of his writing is generally top-notch.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Squidget0 wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:

To be fair, they do have a point. Though I enjoyed the episode, Moffat did basically turn a character who's competence comes from her intelligence into a character who's competence comes from being oh so sexy and polluting the minds of even the most chaste of men. Moffat writes really terrible depictions of women in general, and it's easy to forget because the rest of his writing is generally top-notch.

To me, it did seem like kind of a lazy way to update her character. It's very reminiscent of Frank Miller turning Catwoman into a reformed prostitute in Batman: Year One. It seems like some men believe that the strongest woman is the woman who dominates them sexually.

• Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    Agreed, and just as with Catwoman, the character's one weakness is giving in to her emotions and caring too much about a man. It's a common trope with 'strong' female characters, and it's essentially a male fantasy dressed up as female empowerment.

It bothered me while watching the episode, though I still enjoyed it very much overall.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    It seems like some men believe that the strongest woman is the woman who dominates them sexually.
    More likely they think that people who are strong are people who don't like being sexually submissive; a strong man wouldn't want to be, in their opinion, so why would a strong woman?
    Squidget0 wrote:
    Though I enjoyed the episode, Moffat did basically turn a character who's competence comes from her intelligence into a character who's competence comes from being oh so sexy and polluting the minds of even the most chaste of men.
    Moffat shows you a pair of knockers and apparently you forget that she's intelligent. This says a lot more about you than it does about him.
    Adler 1) knew how to baffle Sherlock's ability to read people, 2) used gloves for her safe, 3) had self-destruct for the safe, 4) had a gun inside the safe, 5) worked out a mystery that until then only Sherlock (and Mycroft) had solved, 5) had a self-destruct for her phone, 6) could capably fake her own death, 7) was manipulating Sherlock the entire time and a few other bits and pieces that I'm overlooking.

The idea that somehow, by presenting her as a seductress you've diminished her intellect is amusing. The episode presents her as extremely competent in plenty of ways, and she's only shown to have one flaw.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    t beth: she's clearly presented as sherlock's level, but the issue is that she was also given a super sexualised dimension which she harps on about a lot ("i know what x likes" etcetera) and this seems to be because she's a laaaady. also it's a tired trope.

but having said all that i still enjoyed it. moffat writes tropes i enjoy. it wasn't sexist enough to break my concentration with the show.

• Options
    Having the only power you get as a woman be from sexual domination is a tired trope... so it only really applies here if you ignore the power she gets from her intellect.

I personally thought she was presented as much more intellectually capable in this adaptation than she was in A Scandal in Bohemia (where practically all she does correctly is pose as a youth to stalk Sherlock, and flee; other than that, ACD basically didn't 'show' her intellect at all, it was all 'told' on the part of Holmes and the King, mostly as praise).

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Squidget0 wrote:
    Agreed, and just as with Catwoman, the character's one weakness is giving in to her emotions and caring too much about a man. It's a common trope with 'strong' female characters, and it's essentially a male fantasy dressed up as female empowerment.

Good point. I have no issue with the rest of it but the way sherlock broke her code because she had sentiment is kinda lame.

Then again having your one flaw being that you want to bone Benedict Cumberbatch isn't entirely unrealistic.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    this might be my favourite series right now. cumberbatch is an absolutely perfect casting, and I really like the stories and adversaries-
    The US agent
    came off a bit stupid, letting his two guys drive away, but I'll chalk that up to "thought holmes was a pussy"

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    the parts with the
    plain and the password were brilliant

the ending annoyed me somewhat
    why couldn't they just let her die? Come on, Sherlock isn't the goddamn Batman.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    the ending annoyed me somewhat
    why couldn't they just let her die? Come on, Sherlock isn't the goddamn Batman.

Actually, he is. That's the only thing that was slightly off for me in this episode. Sherlock is just too good at what he does. In Study in Pink he at least made a mistake or two in his deductions. But here there was literally nothing that he couldn't turn around.

I assume his limitless competence just came across as more pronounced this episode, and the next two will show him as slightly less than infallible.

Joe Dizzy on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Well he did mess up pretty majorly in this one
    with the solving the puzzle for Adler without even really asking what it was for, giving Moriarty an edge over Mycroft and all that.

plus in terms of vulnerability, also, didn't he totally buy Adler's faked death? I didn't think he expected to find her when he followed Watson. he left pretty quickly from there too, I thought it was pretty obvious that his feelings (such as they are) were pretty severely hurt by the deception.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    yeah, not infallible. if anything, I thought more along the lines of
    sherlock BETTER nor lose because he doesn't understand LOVE(tm)

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    So the latest episode was good but not as good as the first.

The finale kind of tapered off there, or perhaps I stopped paying a lot of attention..

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hmmm. Maybe it's because I actually work in a government biological research lab, but that was a tad too out there for me. Still good fun but just much sillier and non 'real world' than the previous episodes.

At the end though,
    Was that Moriarty locked up in the cell? What?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Daxon wrote:
    So the latest episode was good but not as good as the first.

The finale kind of tapered off there, or perhaps I stopped paying a lot of attention..

No, it kind of tapered off. It was all a bit predictable.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Yeah I solved it about 40 minutes before Sherlock got it so watching it being dragged out a bit made the end a bit dull. I mean,
    on the basis that nobody watching it is going to really believe there is a giant demon dog running around, and they aren't going to repeat the solution from the original story, there was kind of only one sensible solution.

Also the end
    I'm sure Mycroft has pulled Moriarty in because he knows he's obviously a criminal but couldn't get any charges to stick. That or he needs to let him go so he can be allowed to continue his plans (with a view to trailing him to find out what they are and stop them).

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Hmmmm. Yeah, that was kind of disappointing by the incredibly high standards set last week.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I honestly think the issues with this episode were entirely down to trying to write a credible mystery about a monstrous dog, given that there has to be a monstrous dog which nevertheless cannot literally be a monstrous dog.

They probably should have just glossed over Hound of the Baskervilles.

• Options
    I think they'd have been better off just doing it as a gothic horror story with none of the military weapon bollocks.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Has anyone found a way to stream this legally? I'm hesitant to use proxies and the like, even assuming I could find one.

• Options
    Bogart wrote:
    I think they'd have been better off just doing it as a gothic horror story with none of the military weapon bollocks.
    Yeah, it was kind of a disappointment. Once they brought that in it was pretty much obvious that it was going to be a secret weapon of some form or another. There had to have been more interesting approaches, especially given that they've been pretty good about making the episodes about people rather than macguffins.

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    Rami wrote:
    Yeah I solved it about 40 minutes before Sherlock got it so watching it being dragged out a bit made the end a bit dull. I mean,
    on the basis that nobody watching it is going to really believe there is a giant demon dog running around, and they aren't going to repeat the solution from the original story, there was kind of only one sensible solution.

Also the end
    I'm sure Mycroft has pulled Moriarty in because he knows he's obviously a criminal but couldn't get any charges to stick. That or he needs to let him go so he can be allowed to continue his plans (with a view to trailing him to find out what they are and stop them).
    For someone as dangerous as Moriarty a government doesn't need charges to stick. They can just imprison them illegally, there has to another reason for releasing him.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, how does one watch the new season if they live in America Fuck Yeah? Is it available online somewhere? I haven't googled it yet, but every time I try to google "Watch X show online" get a lot of bad links that lead to malware.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Just rewatched the pilot episode of season 1 and oh my god I remember why I loved this show so much. This is going to be fun.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote:
    Out of curiosity, how does one watch the new season if they live in America Fuck Yeah? Is it available online somewhere? I haven't googled it yet, but every time I try to google "Watch X show online" get a lot of bad links that lead to malware.

It's apparently being broadcast by PBS in the US in May.

I don't think there will be any legal way to watch it online in the US until it's actually been broadcast first.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Seems kinda weird BBC America wouldn't be showing it. But then apparently the actual BBC has no control over BBC A anyway.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    After the breakneck speed of last week's episode, this one felt much more "regular". It featured a good amount of interplay between Watson and Holmes. It had Holmes making mistakes and being wrong about things, and it gave Watson something to do.

I agree that in direct comparison to last week's, it might come across as slightly underwhelming. The criminal's fate seemed more like a lazy way to end the episode, so as not to write any dialogue about the fallout of the case. And the very last sence was ok, but came out of nowhere. Last week he was wandering around London freely, orchestrating all kinds of mayhem... and now he's suddenly locked up in a cell. I'm not sure how that works.

Joe Dizzy on
  • Options
    I love those dramatic mines.

I mean, I know that there are mines that work like that in the real world, but they're so fun when they're in fiction.

• Options
    So. Speculation
    On Moriarty
    Why was he imprisoned, and why did mycroft free him?
    Holmes was going against mycroft somewhat in this episode, but enough to warrant letting him go?
    Or was it not just to have someone to go against sherlock, but something "brotherly", because mycroft knows his brother needs an adversary and will get into unfortunate situations anyways?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    On the above:
    Mycroft's loyalties are to Queen and Country first and foremost. If he let Moriarty go it was for the nation's sake, not Sherlock's.

MhCw7nZ.gif