As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There Will Be [chat]

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    how can an essay be overall good and get a D

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    syndalis wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Honk wrote:
    Daniel Day Lewis hibernates for a couple of years. Then he makes an amazing performance.
    Then he hibernates. Then same thing again.

His acting must be measured and spent in careful doses, to preserve him for the coming generations.

Well he pracices the "black art" of method acting, and I honestly don't know if he could psychologically do a bunch of films back to back ala Buschemi or Jonah Hill; he becomes the character for a while, and it takes some time to unravel after that.

He was supposedly a massive asshole on the set of "There Will Be Blood"

I've been thinking about this and am not convinced this is actually something that happens to the degree that people suggests.

At the end of the day the actor is going to get into his car and drive home. Use a cell phone. Not kill people. Still respond to being called by their name. Hopefully help someone in front of them who's having a heart attack.

Like, of course they try to "become" the character. I'd say almost every actor probably does that. Or else they would just go on stage and read lines and do nothing else. I contest that there is a clear border between acting and method acting. People lay it out as two completely separate things, or that it's useful to place a name on what they do to prepare for a role.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Daxon wrote:
    Guys!

What are good/bad percentages of marks to have in assessed essays?

cause I got 65% on an essay but like.. whoever marked it says it's overall good.

I have a vague memory of 50% being a 2:2, 60% being a 2:1 and 70% being a 1

I don't

What is happening here

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Honk wrote:
    Daniel Day Lewis hibernates for a couple of years. Then he makes an amazing performance.

His acting must be measured and spent in careful doses, to preserve him for the coming generations.

Well he pracices the "black art" of method acting, and I honestly don't know if he could psychologically do a bunch of films back to back ala Buschemi or Jonah Hill; he becomes the character for a while, and it takes some time to unravel after that.

I almost posted the same thing. He was living in a tent and basically just was the character while shooting.

There is a reason you don't date actors.

See Also: Jim Carrey, in Man on the Moon.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    god the last of the mohicans is such a great movie

one of my favorites

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:
    Guys!

cause I got 65% on an essay but like.. whoever marked it says it's overall good.

Yes.

65% is a solid 2:1.

(i.e. actually go out, and don't spend all your time locked away studying grade)

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Honk wrote:
    syndalis wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Honk wrote:

I've been thinking about this and am not convinced this is actually something that happens to the degree that people suggests.

At the end of the day the actor is going to get into his car and drive home. Use a cell phone. Not kill people. Still respond to being called by their name. Hopefully help someone in front of them who's having a heart attack.

Like, of course they try to "become" the character. I'd say almost every actor probably does that. Or else they would just go on stage and read lines and do nothing else. I contest that there is a clear border between acting and method acting. People lay it out as two completely separate things, or that it's useful to place a name on what they do to prepare for a role.

As someone who has watched lots of Inside The Actors Studio...

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote:
    One part says, "Fuck the teacher."

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote:

Factually correct but written like you're in 8th grade?

Or, written like you're a genius and being mostly factually incorrect?

The last essay I wrote, the teacher said not to bullshit them because they were the king of bullshit, so I bullshitted and got an 92. Never underestimate a college freshmen who bullshitted their way through 4 years of high school English.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote:
    Guuyyyssss

apples to apples

come on

You don't want me to play that game.

I wreck in that game.
    that's fine

it can be fun to play even when you lose

• Options
    Honk wrote:
    syndalis wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Honk wrote:

As a starry-eyed acting student in a small venue,

• Options
    Pony wrote:
    Honk wrote:
    Come play A2A!

ass 2 ass?

no dude i watched requiem for a dream that don't look like a good time

That scene was hott.

No just kidding. Ew.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Man, hurricane bawbag is scaring the shit outta me. It sounds like my house is gonna come down, hell, last time the winds were near this bad a tree almost fell through the roof.

But mostly it's worth it just for the amusement I'm getting at the international exposure of the word "bawbag".

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Zampanov wrote:
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    No Country is a great movie but the invincible, unstoppable, implacable bad guy kind of places it firmly in the realm of fantasy or myth. Chigurh is scary the way Michael Myers is scary. Daniel Plainview is scary in the way real people often are, in the way he has some genuinely admirable qualities but they all kind of go sour and result in something horrifying.

I don't find having a largely symbolic, non-realistic character to be a strike against a narrative. I'd agree Plainview is a better character than Chigurh but I still think No Country is the better movie overall.

it's not a strike against it, it's just that it kind of turns the story into a parable, and the danger of parable is that it kind of lays someone's worldview bare

and I don't know if I believe in or accept McCarthy's worldview, much as I enjoy seeing him lay it out

whereas I don't know if TWWB makes any grander existential claims. it seems to me to be much more a story of a couple of men and the unique ways in which living in a harsh, unforgiving landscape has made them hard and rotten.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I bullshitted my way through community college and got an Associate Degree Magna Cum Laude

I remember this much:

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Actually FEDEX just arrived with my board game SO YEAAAH FUCK YEAH

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I am in.

More people should be in.

Apparently we have 3 and will start with one more.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

The last essay I wrote, the teacher said not to bullshit them because they were the king of bullshit, so I bullshitted and got an 92. Never underestimate a college freshmen who bullshitted their way through 4 years of high school English.

So glad I switched majors. Fucking english papers man.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    Honk wrote:
    syndalis wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Honk wrote:

I've seen maybe two episodes, so I don't get your point.

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    Leitner wrote:
    Daxon wrote:
    Guys!

Yes.

65% is a solid 2:1.

(i.e. actually go out, and don't spend all your time locked away studying grade)

Sweet, in that case I am very happy.

Ludious: I think you'd have to write an absolutely insane essay to get something approaching 80 or 90 percent. System works differently here I guess.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    man i would talk to someone in my support network but i have nothing to say

'i'm depressed'
    'yep'
    'mmmmhm'

it'd be like sad king of the hill

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Daniel Day Lewis' is now shooting his Abraham Lincoln movie

this could be awesome

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote:
    Actually FEDEX just arrived with my board game SO YEAAAH FUCK YEAH

Did they deliver some friends too?

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

I had a system for essays in high school. BS factored in significantly.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    cass, come be distracted with www.nutsybolts.com/invite.php/31314/wang

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Zampanov wrote:
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    No Country is a great movie but the invincible, unstoppable, implacable bad guy kind of places it firmly in the realm of fantasy or myth. Chigurh is scary the way Michael Myers is scary. Daniel Plainview is scary in the way real people often are, in the way he has some genuinely admirable qualities but they all kind of go sour and result in something horrifying.

I don't find having a largely symbolic, non-realistic character to be a strike against a narrative. I'd agree Plainview is a better character than Chigurh but I still think No Country is the better movie overall.

it's not a strike against it, it's just that it kind of turns the story into a parable, and the danger of parable is that it kind of lays someone's worldview bare

and I don't know if I believe in or accept McCarthy's worldview, much as I enjoy seeing him lay it out

whereas I don't know if TWWB makes any grander existential claims. it seems to me to be much more a story of a couple of men and the unique ways in which living in a harsh, unforgiving landscape has made them hard and rotten.

well yeah

mccarthy loves him an implacable, uncaring, unknowable evil

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote:

A D is like 60-70%... so that's more than half :P

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Daniel Day Lewis' is now shooting his Abraham Lincoln movie

this could be awesome

imagine all the gay extras that are going to score with him

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Honk wrote:
    syndalis wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Honk wrote:

No, its quite real... and people who subscribe to the methodology are essentially well paid crazy people.

They rearrange their homes, keep journals in the mind of their character... Heath Ledger's Joker is a good example of this. His living quarters were fucked for months after filming; he left pictures askew on the wall, kept a log filled with horrifying jokes in his pocket (like, AIDS babies jokes), became massively antisocial, and very offbeat and off-color in his interactions.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    man i would talk to someone in my support network but i have nothing to say

'i'm depressed'
    'yep'
    'mmmmhm'

it'd be like sad king of the hill

Dang ol' *mumble* depression man, you know *mumble* *mumble* two hunnerd feet *mumble *mumble* Orange Julius.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

I'm pretty sure I passed my speech class because my teacher couldn't find any marks in her gradebook, got confused and just gave me a B.

I very rarely showed up and only gave one speech, although I submitted outlines and the transcripts and slides for all my other ones. That class was so dumb, I remember a kid giving a speech on solar power, and I shit you not, the first line to the speech was:

"The sun is one of the brightest stars in our solar system."

I had to bury my face into the desk to keep my laughter from being distractingly audible.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    cass, come be distracted with www.nutsybolts.com/invite.php/31314/wang

nice try at pretending to be altruistic you vulture

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    ok i'm almost done christmas shopping

i have the stuff for my aunt, my uncle, my secret santee

all i have left is my aunt's fiancee (i guess i should start calling him uncle)

he likes comedy, maybe i'll get him a standup dvd

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    UPS come give me my sword!

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Day-Lewis threw his personal version of "method acting" into full throttle in 1989 with his performance as Christy Brown in Jim Sheridan's My Left Foot which garnered him numerous awards, including the Academy Award for Best Actor. During filming, his eccentricities came to the fore, due to his refusal to break character.[9] Playing a severely paralyzed character on screen, off screen Day-Lewis had to be moved around the set in his wheelchair, and crew members would curse at having to lift him over camera and lighting wires, all so that he might gain insight into all aspects of Brown's life, including the embarrassments.[8] He broke two ribs during filming from assuming a hunched-over position in his wheelchair for so many weeks.

Day-Lewis returned in 1993, playing Newland Archer in Martin Scorsese's adaptation of the Edith Wharton novel The Age of Innocence, opposite Winona Ryder and Michelle Pfeiffer. To prepare for the film, set in America's Gilded Age, he wore 1870s-period aristocratic clothing around New York City for two months, including top hat, cane, and cape in cold weather.

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Suggestion.

Perhaps you guys were writing cohesive, coherent points explored adeptly in a decently eloquent fashion.

And not, in fact bullshit.

That what you were doing was divorced from is this as close to possible a 1:1 reading of the material.

• Options
    Organichu wrote:

I bet he looooovvvesss Jeff Dunham

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    5-6 weeks after the midterm, the professor hasn't graded the exams

• Options
    Organichu wrote:

for a real laff a minute show him your penis

• Options
    YOU SEE BECAUSE ABRAHAM LINCOLN WAS GAY AND DANIEL DAY LEWIS IS A METHOD ACTOR

THAT IS WHY THAT JOKE WAS A BRILLIANT STROKE OF GENIUS

you fuckers

This discussion has been closed.