As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There Will Be [chat]

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    Screen%20shot%202011-12-08%20at%205.15.05%20PM.png

i've been looking at this for five minutes and i still don't understand

It's shipping you six items. Five in one shipment and one in another.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Riemann: Do you have an insight about how hard it is to say, make your own Dune?

It is a concept that interests me.

Inquisitor wrote:
    Riemann: Do you have an insight about how hard it is to say, make your own Dune?

Genetically engineering the sand worms would be a bitch.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:

Odds are they're getting the wayward package from a seperate vendor.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote:

amazon will package and ship things separately if they come from a different warehouse or an associate seller

rRwz9.gif
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    So what's the best way to hand in a late assignment? Should I just slip it into the teacher's box without comment, make up an excuse, or just offer the actual explanation for why it's late (I had another assignment for a different class, and I underestimated how long I'd need to complete this one)?

make up a preposterous and entertaining explanation for why it's late

your actual explanation doesn't really sound like one the teacher would care about

it's just "I'm handing in this assignment late because I was late."

(not saying make up an excuse - teacher won't care)

ftOqU21.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    hahahahahahaha

oh man i just watched this video of an old beat up 70s farm truck with a pizza delivery sign on top run a 10.53 quarter mile.

ahahahahahahahah

steam_sig.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote:
    Snow Crash was a cool book but it often got too far fetched for its own good. In scifi, you need to know when to breathlessly explain and when to hand wave. There needed to be a whole lot more hand waving.

What was too far fetched.

A lot of the stuff about the metavirus and ancient Sumer. It just got to be too much. Too DaVinci Code. Too 1960s Batman solving riddles.

O... ok. I thought you were referring to things hidden in vaginas.

:oops:

Yeah, the Dune theme would be a big plus for me. I loved that book.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Mim wrote:
    Mim wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:
    Mim wrote:
    Man, so I'm sitting there bare assed in the gyno office and my doc is like "So why are you single? No cute guys on Temples campus? But you're so cute!"

I'm like "Lady, inspect the vagina. I can't be worried about that and my love life at the same time."

You should have squirted ink at him to deter him from that line of questioning

I KNEW IT!! Girls can totally shoot ink out of their vaginas!!!

I said Cthulhu was lurking in there.

I have nothing lurking up there!

don't lie mim, you have a vagina squid.

it's okay, this is a safe space

There is no vagina squid!

Though I guess if there was one, I wouldn't really tell anyone until it was too late and they were already in.

see!! your denial only makes you more guilty!!!

vagina squid!!!
    Vagina calamari?

Sarksus wrote:
    Snow Crash was a cool book but it often got too far fetched for its own good. In scifi, you need to know when to breathlessly explain and when to hand wave. There needed to be a whole lot more hand waving.

A lot of the stuff about the metavirus and ancient Sumer. It just got to be too much. Too DaVinci Code. Too 1960s Batman solving riddles.

Oh I jerked off during those parts.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:

I suppose that if you get enough sand together it should be pretty easy.

I'm not proud of that, but it had to be done

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Echo wrote:

Yeah, handwaving is not exactly Stephenson's thing.

It was funny because it was so obvious that he was really excited about high speed internet access and shit, so he's explaining all this stuff and the reader in 2011 is just thinking: ok yes. Yes. OK YOU CAN STOP NOW I KNOW THAT FIBEROPTIC LINES CARRY MULTIMEDIA DATA.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:

Genetically engineering the sand worms would be a bitch.

Lets focus on Mammoths for now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16068581

Sarksus made the joke better :P

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    So what's the best way to hand in a late assignment? Should I just slip it into the teacher's box without comment, make up an excuse, or just offer the actual explanation for why it's late (I had another assignment for a different class, and I underestimated how long I'd need to complete this one)?

make up a preposterous and entertaining explanation for why it's late

your actual explanation doesn't really sound like one the teacher would care about

it's just "I'm handing in this assignment late because I was late."

(not saying make up an excuse - teacher won't care)
    I always felt like I owed the teacher a good story when something was late or not there.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote:

Is the problem that your items are shipping separately?

<.<

Inquisitor wrote:
    Sarksus made the joke better :P

It's what he was born to do.

• DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    I do not want to read this paper on healthcare markets. It is five billion pages long

Echo wrote:

It was funny because it was so obvious that he was really excited about high speed internet access and shit, so he's explaining all this stuff and the reader in 2011 is just thinking: ok yes. Yes. OK YOU CAN STOP NOW I KNOW THAT FIBEROPTIC LINES CARRY MULTIMEDIA DATA.

You ever read Islands in the Net?
    Predicted the fax machine... great book, but man is it dated now. Whoooooo, so dated!

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:

How many times did you masturbate to the dentata scene?

How many times did you reread to mentally role play as Raven?

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    spool32 wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:

How many times did you masturbate to the dentata scene?

How many times did you reread to mentally role play as Raven?

So about that other topic...

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    We actually briefly touched the issue in the reading thread:
    When I was rereading the Bridge Trilogy, I thought that the most interesting part of the setting was the way that the mass of humanity had become surplus to the requirements of the people with power and access to the high-end consumer goods. They weren't needed as labor, enforcers or fellow citizens, so they were left to rot in decaying cities, trailer parks and communes.

For the majority of characters, even owning one piece of high-tech gadgetry was a rarity. Outside of the privileged enclaves, the majority of humanity were literally surviving by picking through the trash.

That felt very real and prophetic.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    The design of the Dune board game is really outdated, though.

I managed to really enjoy the couple games of it I played, but it was in spite of the design of the components.

The Dune IP makes it really cool because people assign artificial importance to some regions that don't have any actual strategic value (or just less strategic value). :P

vRyue2p.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:

I expect the effort would be in the board and the cards. The rest of the bits you could scavenge from other games (tokens for the military units and such).

The guy who made a set printed all the cards and board on a good color laser printer then cut them out and glued them to the card backings and board. He said he used a spray glue. Whatever it was it worked so well you'd never know they were homemade.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    spool32 wrote:
    Echo wrote:

You ever read Islands in the Net?
    Predicted the fax machine... great book, but man is it dated now. Whoooooo, so dated!

Fax machines were around in like the 60s - it was more about how fax machines and modern media (heh) could help political revolutions around the world.

But yeah, it is really dated.

rRwz9.gif
    VH's design is outdated.

Science fiction gets dated. Old space opera stuff is like lol.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:

Probably about as hard as that one time we made a board game version of Greed Corp.

>.>

vRyue2p.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    The design of the Dune board game is really outdated, though.

I managed to really enjoy the couple games of it I played, but it was in spite of the design of the components.

The Dune IP makes it really cool because people assign artificial importance to some regions that don't have any actual strategic value (or just less strategic value). :P

How is it outdated? When you have a full table the game design is just brilliant.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Sarksus wrote:
    Science fiction gets dated. Old space opera stuff is like lol.

I love Gibson's quote about what really dates Neuromancer is the row of pay phones ringing.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Mim wrote:
    Mim wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:
    Mim wrote:
    Man, so I'm sitting there bare assed in the gyno office and my doc is like "So why are you single? No cute guys on Temples campus? But you're so cute!"

I'm like "Lady, inspect the vagina. I can't be worried about that and my love life at the same time."

Though I guess if there was one, I wouldn't really tell anyone until it was too late and they were already in.

vagina squid!!!
    Vagina calamari?

ackbarSitting.jpg

Echo wrote:
    When I was rereading the Bridge Trilogy, I thought that the most interesting part of the setting was the way that the mass of humanity had become surplus to the requirements of the people with power and access to the high-end consumer goods. They weren't needed as labor, enforcers or fellow citizens, so they were left to rot in decaying cities, trailer parks and communes.

For the majority of characters, even owning one piece of high-tech gadgetry was a rarity. Outside of the privileged enclaves, the majority of humanity were literally surviving by picking through the trash.

we'll send them all to colonize the solar system

and then start on the rest of the universe

ftOqU21.png
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Echo wrote:

we'll send them all to colonize the solar system

and then start on the rest of the universe

A good story to get them into the gas chambers "space ships."

Heck, just read the first line of Neuromancer: "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

Which, for the record, I recited from memory and it's been at least a decade since I read it. :P

Anyway. Sweden doesn't even have analog TV any longer. The original intent of that meaning is entirely gone.

desc wrote:
    Mim wrote:
    Mim wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:
    Mim wrote:

vagina squid!!!
    Vagina calamari?

ackbarSitting.jpg

Man, that was a lazy fucking idea for some aliens. Make them look like squids. We'll call them... squids.

ftOqU21.png
    I read A Mote in God's Eye one time, a few years ago. It felt so old and decrepit.

Inquisitor wrote:

Probably about as hard as that one time we made a board game version of Greed Corp.

>.>

We never really started that.

And also you know, someone hadn't already made all the art assets in advance like they have for dune. :P

Riemann: Thanks. I will ponder on this.

I don't really mind old/dated stuff in science fiction because I always read for the story and characters first and the "predictions" or whatever second.

It's just that when the predictions are the point, that doesn't leave you much else to go with after they expire.

rRwz9.gif
    Echo wrote:
    Heck, just read the first line of Neuromancer: "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

Which, for the record, I recited from memory and it's been at least a decade since I read it. :P

Anyway. Sweden doesn't even have analog TV any longer. The original intent of that meaning is entirely gone.

Imagine, kids growing up and never seeing "snow" on their monitors!

This discussion has been closed.