As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

STALKER 2 is dead

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Tim James wrote:
    I haven't been around in a while, but I decided to fly in for the funeral.

How's the family holding up?

Not good.

Someone's snapped, started thinking one of those bloodsucker things is his son. That kind of mess.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Tim James wrote:
    I haven't been around in a while, but I decided to fly in for the funeral.

How's the family holding up?

Not good.

Someone's snapped, started thinking one of those bloodsucker things is his son. That kind of mess.

Strelok got into the vodka

He's a bitter drunk

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    After all, both stalker 2 and GSC were already doomed. The market today only want multiplayer and competitive focused FPS . Also PC gaming is nearly dead so making the game PC exclusive is suicide.

firma1m.th.jpg
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Stalker 2 got out of here

steam_sig.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Stalker had deathmatch, but it was pretty terrible. The movement and shooting mechanics from the awesome singleplayer portion didn't translate well to deathmatch at all.

If there's one kind of multiplayer the Stalker series needs, it's co-op. Stalker was always about the fear of being alone in a desolate, hostile environment, but I think the game would be a lot of fun with a friend who would have your back.

I don't think PC exclusivity would hurt Stalker 2, since the entirety of the fanbase for the series so far has to be PC gamers by default.

SmokeStacks on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Stalker multi would be cool if it was implemented like Dark/Demon's Souls

steam_sig.png
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    After all, both stalker 2 and GSC were already doomed. The market today only want multiplayer and competitive focused FPS . Also PC gaming is nearly dead so making the game PC exclusive is suicide.

PC gaming is dead?

Really? We're pulling that old chestnut out again?

And if I remember the stats right, half of all players don't even have online for X-box. 'course, that was an old figure.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    What the fucking fuck? Goddammit. I was really looking forward to Stalker 2 in a few years time. I've played all the others and they're something unique in the gaming world. Metro 2033 came close, but didn't quite reach the same level of oppressive atmosphere.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    BigDes wrote:

Oh man, Dark Souls inspired STALKER would be epic.

E.P.I.C.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Wow, that's unfortunate. There is little or nothing like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games out there. The atmosphere, the gameplay, the setting, the bugs... you don't get packages like that often at all. I'll miss you GSC!

• Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    Shit, does Stolls know yet?

Hope someone breaks it to him easy.

steam_sig.png
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    Shit, does Stolls know yet?

Hope someone breaks it to him easy.

"Your foster parents are dead."

• corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Beltaine wrote:
    BigDes wrote:

Oh man, Dark Souls inspired STALKER would be epic.

E.P.I.C.

Srsly best idea I have heard in a while.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    If there's one kind of multiplayer the Stalker series needs, it's co-op. Stalker was always about the fear of being alone in a desolate, hostile environment, but I think the game would be a lot of fun with a friend who would have your back.

Yeah, I've always dreamed about that - open world, sandboxy games like Stalker or the latest Fallouts or Skyrim, with proper co-operative multiplayer.

Alas.

Echo wrote:

Yeah, I've always dreamed about that - open world, sandboxy games like Stalker or the latest Fallouts or Skyrim, with proper co-operative multiplayer.

Alas.

STALKER really seems like pure co-op wouldn't fit the atmosphere. Everyone you meet should come with at least a slight fear of being left for dead as they steal everything.

Unfortunately, that tends to be an incredibly irritating thing in multi. Complicated to get right, I'd assume.

But yes. Done right, it would be amazing.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Schrodinger's Game all up ins

EH28YFo.jpg
  • CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    The only way I can imagine STALKER working in multi would be to split the team up constantly, make their voice-com option have a walkie talkie filter over it, have the signal get weaker the further apart they go, and have bad weather/emissions slaughter the signal. I have no idea how you would keep the players apart for the majority of the game without it feeling too forced and gamey but I can dream!

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I'd prefer my STALKER stay a solitary experience. You vs. the Zone, no distractions.

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    The only way I can imagine STALKER working in multi would be to split the team up constantly, make their voice-com option have a walkie talkie filter over it, have the signal get weaker the further apart they go, and have bad weather/emissions slaughter the signal. I have no idea how you would keep the players apart for the majority of the game without it feeling too forced and gamey but I can dream!

Don't do this to me. Not so soon after STALKER 2's death. Imagining the possibilities is just making me sad.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    STALKER 2 Leaked Concept Art
    Bunch of images there, here's a few highlights:

1323432724001.jpg
    1323432848003.jpg
    1323433668004.jpg
    1323433668001.jpg
    1323435889002.jpg
    1323433189001.jpg

Looks pretty much like Stalker, though that is not entirely unexpected.
    Why GSC? WHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??? :cry:

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited December 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Echo wrote:

Alas.

STALKER really seems like pure co-op wouldn't fit the atmosphere. Everyone you meet should come with at least a slight fear of being left for dead as they steal everything.

Unfortunately, that tends to be an incredibly irritating thing in multi. Complicated to get right, I'd assume.

But yes. Done right, it would be amazing.

The hard part would be maintaining the atmosphere and intensity with another player in the game as well, but Stalker co op would be more about sharing scavenged ammo and bandages or two people having to work together to grab an artifact in the middle of an anomaly field or one guy distracting a group of bandits while the other one flanks them or one guy flushes mutants out from the ground while another one is sniping from the roof of a nearby abandoned farmhouse as opposed to traditional co op shooters, where the other player being there simply means more firepower.

This would be amazing. Having to warn your partner in another area that a blowout is coming using a rapidly degrading radio signal would be something.

edit: That screenshot gallery is amazing.

SmokeStacks on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Talk about completely horrible news. I had some high hopes for the next game; Call of Pripyat improved so many things.

This is sort of like how I feel about Firefly. I can't stand to watch it even though I like it because I know they aren't ever going to make more (but you can bet your ass that we'll get more vampire shit on TV). Now if I ever want to play a STALKER game, I'll just be reminded of how those are it and there won't be any more.

Or if there are any more, it'll be because some tool company like Activision picks up the rights and churns out some 8th-rate piece of garbage, which would be even worse.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular

Neither of these things are true.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Talk about completely horrible news. I had some high hopes for the next game; Call of Pripyat improved so many things.

This is sort of like how I feel about Firefly. I can't stand to watch it even though I like it because I know they aren't ever going to make more (but you can bet your ass that we'll get more vampire shit on TV). Now if I ever want to play a STALKER game, I'll just be reminded of how those are it and there won't be any more.

Or if there are any more, it'll be because some tool company like Activision picks up the rights and churns out some 8th-rate piece of garbage, which would be even worse.

I hope that someone who actually wants to do something good with the license gets it, but really, what are the odds of that happening?

488W936.png
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    This year hasn't been the best. :( First Leslie Nielson, now STALKER 2? What next, M&Ms are now shit flavored? Oreos stop using cream? I better stop, before I /wrists.
    Vl8xXh.jpg

d45wYh.jpg

kv8H1h.jpg

InDCCh.jpg

LL5v6h.jpg

At least we still have CoP and SoC. CS can go sit in the corner...

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Hey, sorry guys, I saw someone was talking about STALKER and I got here as quick as I could.

Why's everybody so quiet?

...guys? :(

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

Neither of these things are true.

What? No.

The sinister other is always to blame.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    Stolls wrote:
    Hey, sorry guys, I saw someone was talking about STALKER and I got here as quick as I could.

Oh God... this is like the episode of Sesame Street where they tell Big Bird that Mr. Hooper is dead.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    1323432848003.jpg

This image pretty much sums up the "what-the-fuckness" of STALKER.

You literally can run right into the equivalent of a black hole and be sucked in and killed at the drop of a hat.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote:

H...hey, champ....

How..uh...how ya holdin' up?

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote:
    1323432848003.jpg

This image pretty much sums up the "what-the-fuckness" of STALKER.

You literally can run right into the equivalent of a black hole and be sucked in and killed at the drop of a hat.

Bet there's a sweet artifact in that combine harvester.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I refuse to accept this.

This is all a marketing ploy.

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    nah man it's not real you know STALKER and those practical jokes it plays

like that time that guy's car got sucked into the sky and it was just some bug

or sticking dudes on bonfires you know it always did that

or that time when my stash got emptied in pripyat and it was just some dude stealing from it

its just a joke man right i mean i was just playing a month ago

i said i was gonna come back after skyrim

i mean

i think i need to go lie down for a while

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    fuck.

fuucccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    EDIT: Checked the Official STALKER Facebook page. Someone posted this link saying that according to this source, GSC is just moving to a new building so there is a sliver of hope: http://ya-stalker.ru/execluzive/1325-kak-gsc-obstavila-vsex-ili-unikalnyj-piar-xod.html

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    This is probably the shittiest video game news I've heard personally since Sierra shut down Dynamix and also killed production on Babylon 5: Into the Fire.

STALKER is a game I've been thinking of as one of my staple series, that would just be around.

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote:
    EDIT: Checked the Official STALKER Facebook page. Someone posted this link saying that according to this source, GSC is just moving to a new building so there is a sliver of hope: http://ya-stalker.ru/execluzive/1325-kak-gsc-obstavila-vsex-ili-unikalnyj-piar-xod.html

It's sad how much I want to cling onto any shred of hope. Man, I am way too invested in this series!

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I told you it couldnt be true.

Its just some thing.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I may purchase some vodka and some kind of tinned meat while in town tomorrow, one last spasibo to GSC.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    STALKER had it going ON

it was the first game in a long while that completely immersed me and actually affected me emotionally

perhaps we'll see a revival of the franchise by another company

happened to System Shock (Bioshock), Fallout, and Deus Ex