As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox 360 - Flashing Power Light?

dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Last night, I pressed the power button to turn off my Xbox. The green power button in the center turned off, but the fan continued to run. The green power button will flash slowly for about 2 minutes before it fully turns off. This only happens when turning off the console, and there are no other problems with it. This has just randomly started. There are no active downloads and no plugged in controllers.

Is my 360 dying? Google only points me to things like RROD and other errors involving combinations of the lights around the edge of the circle, not the light in the center.

steam_sig.png
dresdenphile on

• Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    This happened with mine last night. I assumed it was doing stuff related to the recent update. I hope I get used to this new interface because so far it blows.

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    This is intended. If it continues to run after turning off it's running in a lower-power mode while it works some stuff out. This might be because it was running a process it hasn't shut down, for example, like killing an Xbox Live party, or displaying a notification, or whatever. Mine's been doing it for years.

It's worth noting that it is also the exact same behaviour as when charging a controller or downloading something, as you mentioned. It's just your Xbox making sure it's checked every box on its list before shutting down, and nothing to worry about.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    It could also be that the Xbox isn't as good at getting rid of heat as well as it used to, and it needs a bit of fan time to cool off its components to prevent them from melting when the fan switches off.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    sandman1126sandman1126 Registered User new member
    Tht had just started with my xbox and I went to system settings > console settings > start up and shutdown > and turned off the background downloads

This discussion has been closed.