As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Risk Legacy] Do Not Open. Ever. Mark your spoilers.

azith28azith28 Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Critical Failures
Risk Legacy. Do not let the name fool you. This is a deeper, more involved and evolving game then you would think from the name.
The game begins similar to regular risk with a few changes. You play on what is essentially a copy of earth, but its continents and cities are waiting to be claimed, named, despoiled, or fortified which will be the rights of the victors. The game is no longer about killing everyone else (unless you want that to be how you win). The winner of a game will have collected 4 red stars. each faction HQ counts as a red star, so you could take over 3 people and win the game, or you can gain red stars from other ways, such as buying one with 4 resource cards which are gained from winning a battle, or other ways that are revealed later.

The first game has the player making decisions about the factions. Each faction will start out with a choice of two powers which affect gameplay. The power that is not chosen is DESTROYED. The card is ripped up, burned, mangled. You are building a world and a culture by making lasting decisions that shape the factions.

The game comes in a briefcase like box, and most obviously their are several sealed off areas in the box and sealed envelopes that are not meant to be opened until a certain event occurs. The contents will change the way the game is played and even without them, the players will have the opportunities to place stickers on the board to affect the strength of attacking or defending a territory. The stickers are meant to be permanent changes to the game board (there are also ways to cancel out the stickers but again, this is an alteration of the board for future gameplay).

The permanent changes more or less end at about game 15. at this point, the world has been given a name, the cities and countries are named, bonuses applied and at this point you will have a customized risk board, factions, and gameplay based on the decisions made during the first 15 games. THE GAME IS FULLY PLAYABLE BEYOND 15 GAMES, it just has solidified by the choices you have made.

This is a thread that will have spoilers about the contents of the envelopes and pockets. USE THE SPOILER TAGS. There are lots of things that happen that change rules and gameplay so naturally there is going to be a need for questions about the new rules, which while awesome, are, for apparent reasons, not deeply explained in the manual. So Any post should include the pocket name the question deals with unspoilered, clearly labeled, and the question inside the spoiler tags. Same with answers of course.

You may ask general rule questions that have nothing to do with the contents of the envelopes or pockets without spoiler tags.

First question and example:

POCKET: 30 troops and a missile
Has anyone tried the game with a 6th player yet after the pocket has been opened? I understand it was never playtested or balanced for 6 but cant see why it wouldnt work at all...it just would make for a more violent game.

Do Not Open envelope:
Does anything in the other envelopes tell you to open this or is it just pure temptation to be used whenever you feel like opening it (or cant resist anymore).

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
azith28 on

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Regarding opening the "do not open" packet (not what's inside):
    Nothing in the game tells you to open it, so your group has to choose to open it. Which is cool because the consequences are all on the group.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So my wonderful girlfriend just got this for me, and while we haven't startied playing yet, I was looking through (without opening envelopes) for the faction powers...and I can't find them. Anyone know where in the box they are? There's supposed to be 2 for each faction, and you pick one and put it on your card.

• Options
    GoldChaosGoldChaos Registered User regular
    Sniper, they should, initially at least, be in the same deck as the resource and scar cards, just mixed in. Just got this for Christmas myself and we're finally sitting down this weekend to play.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Sniper, check under the inset, or mixed with the other cards.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum