As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GPS mounting options

AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So my wife and I have decided that buying a GPS might be better than having arguments when we get lost on trips. I'm looking at this one, but I don't really want to put it on my dash or my windshield. I'd like to rig up a mount that puts it more near my radio. However, my only non-phone experience with a GPS was with a unit that was probably made 10 years ago, and that required line of sight. Is that still true? Is that why all these things get stuck on the windshield or the dash? If it's more hidden will it still work?

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
AtomBomb on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    For the most part they work anywhere in a car. It's tall buildings that fuck with them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    Whoa boy, that sold out fast.

I have a flat GPS like that that I got used without a mount. I ran the cable under my dash (those things come apart so easy) and velcroed it to a space above my radio.

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    They've got mounts that clamp onto the heat vents in the dash, if that sounds good to you.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I use the bean-bag mount, but put it on the left side of the dash, so it's tucked in next to the window.

Careful with the radio mounts - I at least would be distracted trying to look down at it.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    You'll generally want it somewhere which doesn't obstruct your field of vision but also allows for a viewing angle that doesn't take your eyes too far off the road.

FYI, the laws regarding how you can mount GPS will vary depending upon where you live. For example, in California it is illegal to stick something on your windshield.