As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How to record video/audio off a tv with a PC

LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascismRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Because the last time I recorded something was when VHS was still cool.

I would like to know what kind of setup I need to record either the TV program or games I am playing on Xbox or PS3 with a PC(the tv is fairly new and has all the relevant outs(I guess) like vga and 2xhdmi) and ideally record myself on a mic commenting stuff at the same time.
Is there a recommended software for doing things like that? Or is the windows media shenanigans sufficient?
I want to record myself playing games or watching shows with a friend and ideally hook up 2 mics at the same time.

Librarian on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    What kind of connectors is your Xbox/PS3 using? HDMI/Component/RCA ?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I think for just TV input you'll want a tuner card. They should come with some kind of packed in video recording/manipulation software.
    You should be able to hook a console up the same way.

• LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    I am using HDMI cables for the consoles.
    Is there a way I can just record the TV to the PC via a HDMI cable or something without an additional card? I don't want to watch TV on the PC, just record what I am watching on the actual TV.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Librarian wrote:
    Is there a way I can just record the TV to the PC via a HDMI cable or something without an additional card? I don't want to watch TV on the PC, just record what I am watching on the actual TV.

sorry you need a tuner card/box/usb dongle to be able to get any input into the computer. video cards only do output. so your going to have to buy something.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    Foomy wrote:
    Librarian wrote:

sorry you need a tuner card/box/usb dongle to be able to get any input into the computer. video cards only do output. so your going to have to buy something.

Alright, that's fine. What would be the most cost efficient way to do this with good recording qualtity?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100049

You'll need something like that. Video capture is an insanely expensive field. Be prepared to run out of storage space while recording, splice and add recording/dubbing later, and you might want some video editing software too, there's free ones out there I'm sure.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    if you want to record while playing on the tv your also going to need a splitter of some sort, so that your signal goes to both the tv and the pc for recording.
    cheapest way is to use vga, as splitters for that are about $10. if you want to use hdmi than you'll need a matrix box, like this:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011310&p_id=8155&seq=1&format=2

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    So there is no easy all-in-one tool that will allow me(Once I got the proper card/usb-dongle/box) to record myself commenting while I play/watch TV?

Not all-in-one, but fairly easy to set up with a few hundred investment and some patience.

At least not that I know of! Good luck though.