As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Community: Season 4 Premiere February 7, Old Timeslot

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
If I could take a moment of your time, I would like to tell a story. A story of mercy, of compassion during this upcoming holiday season. This is a story that takes place at Greendale Community College, one of the finest community colleges in California Colorado.

greendalejeffbritta.jpg

gogreendalegogreendalego.jpg

troythumbsup.gif

It's not about how the school is run by a pansexual dean

deanpeltonwassup-1.jpg

or how it's actually run by the Vice Dean of the college annex, producing some of the finest HVAC technicians in the state

greendalerealdean.jpg

It's not even a story about a group of students running the gamut in both age and race getting closer together through wacky class assignments and a growing need for intimacy that also allows for stronger personal growth

community-animal-house-ew.jpg

brittaanniecheerleaders.gif

brittajeffbestkiss.gif

anniepunchesjeff.gif

No, this is not their story. This is the story of a table.

greendaletable.jpg

A simple table, composed of........two other tables. Capable of sitting eight comfortably when combined, it always did what was asked of it. Yet over the last three years it became a place for sexual conquests:

tablebrittajeff.jpg

a place for fat singers/actors to resist leaving a study group:

tablebuddy.jpg

a place for rampant vandalism:

tablezingers.jpgtableabs.jpgtablenotches.jpg

separation from its partner:

tableseparated.jpg

acts of physical violence:

tableaxed.jpg

and even forced to be complicit in multiple rapes across entire generations:

tabledd.jpg

Tables like these are not able to speak for themselves. Every day they magically hold up our belongings, yet their veneer is removed, legs are dented, undersides inappropriately touched with flavorless gum, and even shot with paintballs. Please, defend the tables, because one day they will not be there to help you.

How can you help the tables? Preferably by watching your TV every Thursday night at 8pm/7pm CT on NBC, especially if you have a Nielson box, and also don't watch any other comedies on NBC. And by watching your DVR'd episode within 7 days of the original air date. And by buying multiple copies of the seasons 1 & 2 DVDs. And by buying lots of fine merchandise from the NBC store. All of this helps provide greater awareness of table abuse.

Save the tables, isn't that right, black Hitler?

greendalebh.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWMKb00_r4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWTymZ-EP6o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvpT8ocp0SE

Mandatory thread tag: check out these nicely done Inspector Spacetime videos by fellow poster Schrodinger. Spread these around to any sci-fi fans you may know that currently aren't watching Community to help increase awareness. Six seasons and a movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FneKiciwIMA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SanuWf8dnDo

TexiKen on

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    God bless you sir.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    That is a glorious OP

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    I love that new thread smell.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Even though your av/sig change with every week, Texiken, Britta's tree getup will live on in our hearts.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    I want to be in a study group. :(

V0Gug2h.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    This was the first episode in a long time I didn't really like.

It just felt like an overly long setup to a joke that just wasn't there. The "whats regional" thing was funny the first time or two but then yeah...we get it.

I dunno. Maybe I was in the wrong mood but it just totally missed for me.

EDIT: Except Britta. This season has put me permanently in team britta.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    she is the best

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Texiken makes the best op.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

It just felt like an overly long setup to a joke that just wasn't there. The "whats regional" thing was funny the first time or two but then yeah...we get it.

Again, that's exactly what glee does.

steam_sig.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote:
    Even though your av/sig change with every week, Texiken, Britta's tree getup will live on in our hearts.

I memory burned that dance into my brain immediately.

That and the cheerleader bubble fight.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote:

Again, that's exactly what glee does.

I get that. I just don't like glee at all, the point that even most jokes about it aren't funny because it is that bad. So I probably wasn't the target audience for this. If I disliked it to the point that I liked ridiculing it, ok. But I just hate it hate it.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    um the 223 area code is in Mali.

Either that's strange or hilarious. I'm not sure.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    From the old thread:
    Variable wrote:
    it is actually driving me nuts how many paragraphs are being written about how bad this episode was. it's ridiculous.

You should read this review then:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/regional-holiday-music,66270/
    The only episode I’ve liked more this season was “Remedial Chaos Theory,” but I thought this one was funnier. On the other hand, you knew I was going to love it because I like songs, I love Christmas, and I think that Glee is a fun show but also fun to make fun of. (The scene where the study room had been turned into the choir room from Glee was one of my favorites here, particularly Pierce confirming everybody else could see the piano player off to the side.) One of the problems with reviewing television week to week is that you already pretty much know what I’m going to say: I liked it! I didn’t like it! I thought it was okay! That makes it harder and harder to come up with new stuff to say, makes it easier and easier to over-rely on gimmicks or bullshit pontificating.

But if you’ll allow me some bullshit pontificating (groan!), the moment for me that crystallized just why this episode worked so well was when Britta came out as the Mouse King—after previously having been made a mute tree for the pageant—and began to sing the song she already knew with the lyrics that were in her heart. On one level, this was another scene designed to remind us that Britta is—indeed—the worst. On another level, this was a quick nod toward any scene where two speakers convince an unruly mob of people of diametrically opposed ideas, as Mr. Rad and the Dean got the crowd to call Britta the worst, then cheer her self-expression. But on another level, this was another scene about liking something, about getting into it enough to do something stupid. We never see Britta infected by the glee virus. We never see her join up with the others.

On some level, I think, she isn’t infected; she’s doing this for her friends, because she knows it will make them happy. And even if the whole thing ends with the darkness underneath all of this becoming readily apparent, there’s still that moment when Abed and Britta save Christmas by ruining it. Everything gets torn down, but it brings everybody closer together, without all the forced jollity. When they get together to celebrate Christmas at Abed’s, instead of flying all over the country, the moment somehow feels earned, even though it comes out of nowhere and picks up on a plot point expressed many, many scenes ago. These people love each other, and sometimes that’s worth getting wrapped up in crazy musical numbers. On one level, they all joined glee because of a crazy musical virus (for which the stakes are pretty low). On another level, they did it because they couldn’t stand not being together.

That’s why we find ways to come together at the end of the year, isn’t it? And that’s why we’ve always had our brightest days on our darkest nights—since the beginning of time. We’re social animals. We need to remind each other that we still have our nearest and dearest, or our best friends, or our families, or our lovers, or, hell, the people we work with. We get together, and maybe it isn’t always the best and maybe it’s sometimes just the worst, but we do it because that’s something we do, and without it, we might feel a little less complete. Similarly, we all come here every week—a virtual study group that meets from around the world—to hang out and celebrate something we love.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    thank you very much! that was delightful

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    boopy boopy boop doop sex

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    But on another level, this was another scene about liking something, about getting into it enough to do something stupid. We never see Britta infected by the glee virus. We never see her join up with the others.

On some level, I think, she isn’t infected; she’s doing this for her friends, because she knows it will make them happy.

On the other hand, Britta's so passionate about everything she does, and yet so oblivious to how her actions are perceived, that she'll wholeheartedly throw herself into any endeavor.

Basically, he natural disposition does the work of the virus, except of course for the part where it makes you a good singer.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    So, apparently some people hated the glee episode? I thought it was one of the more hilarious and spot-on episodes, close to the D&D episode for awesomeness. It may be a thing where you have to have watched a few episodes of the TV show Glee to get how perfect this episode was, I'm not sure.

Also Britta is amazing. I used to hate her, but the more inept she becomes, the more lovable she is.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I was pretty lukewarm on the episode overall, maybe because I've never seen Glee and missed some of the subtler mocking or something, but recruiting Pierce with a baby-boomer music montage was pretty amazing.

Darlan on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Jeff opening his mouth in the Body Snatchers way was amazing. Great episode. Though you probably should have seen an episode or two of glee to get all the jokes.

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Some girl pronounce bagel "beg-el," I wanted to say "it's bag-el you idiot."

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I've never seen any more of Glee than the ads, and I thought the episode was hilarious.. If I missed anything it didn't matter.

• devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    This was my favorite episode since the D&D episode.

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    This episode had so much great in it. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

I dug how the Inspector Spacetime Christmas Special was basically the Star Wars Holiday Special.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • QonasQonas Detroit, MIRegistered User regular
    This episode was AMAZING. Completely awesome in pretty much every way.

To where it's fighting among Modern Warfare and Advanced Dungeons & Dragons to be my favorite. Annie's song was sheer brilliance.

banner_default.jpg

There is not in all America a more dangerous trait than the deification of mere smartness unaccompanied by any sense of moral responsibility. - President Theodore Roosevelt
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I think this episode is my second favorite of the season. Remedial Chaos Theory is still one of the most amazing half hours of television I've ever seen.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    There are plenty of extra jokes to get if you've seen a few episodes of Glee, like the musical cues, the mashups, and the cafeteria performance.

I want to think that the opening scene is how it really looks when the kids on that show put on an impromptu performance, and that the musical accompaniment, auto tuning, and dynamic choreography is all in their heads.

• Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    Nice new OP Tex. I loved the new episode and its constant ribbing of Glee. Harmon's poked fun at it before, but this took it to an entirely new and fun level.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Wow I can't believe how many people's top ten slots Remedial Chaos Theory hits on.
    Not the biggest fan of that episode though it was good. But remember I am going to defend Mixology Certification til the end of time as some of the finest half hours of television comedy or drama ever.

Also, paintball episode clip above of Chang's entrance reminds me for a brief period (from the minute the boombox hits the scene til he is shoving keytars through car windows) Chang was one of the best characters in the history of sitcoms. Too bad that changed.

I hope for the sake of Community they give Chang a chance to go out in a blaze of glory against John Goodman's character in the most epic season finale ever.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote:
    So, apparently some people hated the glee episode? I thought it was one of the more hilarious and spot-on episodes, close to the D&D episode for awesomeness. It may be a thing where you have to have watched a few episodes of the TV show Glee to get how perfect this episode was, I'm not sure.

Also Britta is amazing. I used to hate her, but the more inept she becomes, the more lovable she is.
    Thats something Dan Harmon talked about...somewhere, maybe a commentary I don't know. They realized everyone in the audience didn't like Britta at firs,t but by making her unlikable on the show everyone loved her.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote:

When they did the D&D episode, they said that one of their goals was that they didn't want to make cheap jokes at people who play the game, because that's an easy laugh and it's been done before. I didn't like this episode for the same reason I don't like "Scary Movie." I get what they're trying to do. I just don't see the point. For instance, mocking Glee Club in "Modern Warfare" was funny. But in this episode, the mockery was very, very superficial level. What exactly was the joke, other than "Glee is stupid"?

The other problem is that Community shines when they take something really petty and inconsequential and elevate it. For instance, a lunch time snack becomes a mafia movie. Priority registration becomes a John Woo film. A missing pen causes a total group breakdown. etc.

This episode went the opposite direction. The characters learn that they've been celebrating with a mass murderer. They learn that there's a good chance that they themselves would have been murdered if Britta didn't ruin the show. And then rather than processing "Holy shit, I can't believe how close we came to being murdered," they quickly change the subject and add a weak Aesop. The murderer gets away, and there's no followup.

• BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    Britta and Troy were great this episode. I also liked Troy's reaction to the previous glee club in the beginning of the episode.

I'm really going to miss this show :(

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Tav wrote:
    boopy boopy boop doop sex

Indeed.

I like this. But I hate Glee. Enough that I'm glad somebody spent a half-hour making fun of it publicly, because that show is ludicrous. Still not great, but not bad either.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Santa allison brie was pretty damn hot. But britta in the spandex was hella awesome.

I also love how much Britta uses racist pidgin english.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote:

When they did the D&D episode, they said that one of their goals was that they didn't want to make cheap jokes at people who play the game, because that's an easy laugh and it's been done before. I didn't like this episode for the same reason I don't like "Scary Movie." I get what they're trying to do. I just don't see the point. For instance, mocking Glee Club in "Modern Warfare" was funny. But in this episode, the mockery was very, very superficial level. What exactly was the joke, other than "Glee is stupid"?

There was more to it than that. As someone who has unironically enjoyed episodes of Glee, there was plenty there for actual fans of Glee to enjoy, in my opinion. A great example is Pierce seeing the unnamed piano player and saying, "you guys see him too, right?" - as a reference to the accompanist in Glee who always appears as needed, but never speaks. The "always present" pianist is a gag that Glee itself makes fun of plenty of times.. Furthermore, the whole point of the episode (it seems to me) is that even though Glee is ridiculously over-the-top, it's the kind of thing you can get sucked into if you're not careful.
    The other problem is that Community shines when they take something really petty and inconsequential and elevate it. For instance, a lunch time snack becomes a mafia movie. Priority registration becomes a John Woo film. A missing pen causes a total group breakdown. etc.

Or, like, a cheesy holiday choral concert becomes invasion of the body snatchers?
    This episode went the opposite direction. The characters learn that they've been celebrating with a mass murderer. They learn that there's a good chance that they themselves would have been murdered if Britta didn't ruin the show. And then rather than processing "Holy shit, I can't believe how close we came to being murdered," they quickly change the subject and add a weak Aesop. The murderer gets away, and there's no followup.

Kind of like the time Britta dated a genocidal maniac, and then everyone just decided to forget about him.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    I have raced through the first season in the past three days.

All I can say is this show is streets ahead.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote:
    There was more to it than that. As someone who has unironically enjoyed episodes of Glee, there was plenty there for actual fans of Glee to enjoy, in my opinion. A great example is Pierce seeing the unnamed piano player and saying, "you guys see him too, right?" - as a reference to the accompanist in Glee who always appears as needed, but never speaks. The "always present" pianist is a gag that Glee itself makes fun of plenty of times.. Furthermore, the whole point of the episode (it seems to me) is that even though Glee is ridiculously over-the-top, it's the kind of thing you can get sucked into if you're not careful.

"Hey, it's that guy!" still strikes me as a pretty superficial joke. I mean, if they're going to go that route, at least they could include Abed's dad.
    Or, like, a cheesy holiday choral concert becomes invasion of the body snatchers?

I get what they were going for. But the execution was sloppy. Basically, you know that Jeff is a zombie because he's smiling now. Not because he actually had a reason to change.
    Kind of like the time Britta dated a genocidal maniac, and then everyone just decided to forget about him.

Forgetting that dude is pretty much their only option, since he's unlikely to go after him (murder is personal, genocide is impersonal), they don't want to antagonize him, and it's doubtful they can get him arrested. After all, he committed war crimes in a completely different country, and if he was on a wanted list, he probably wouldn't be so open on discussing his past.

Where as the teacher murdered the previous team just so he could recruit the study group, and it's implied that he would have murdered the study group as well. That makes the crime much, much more personal, because you know who the victims were, and you realize that you would have been next.

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    You guys are all forgetting the Booby joke at the beginning and Troy's reaction...

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    well yeah, my other one's dead.

"Hey, it's that guy!" still strikes me as a pretty superficial joke. I mean, if they're going to go that route, at least they could include Abed's dad.

But that wasn't the joke.

The joke was, "why is everyone pretending like this person doesn't exist? Am I the only one who can see him?" A joke which made me laugh pretty loudly.

Anyway, you don't like the episode, that's cool. Opinions and all that.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote:

Didn't he get a recurring role on some other show? The name of which is on the tip of my tongue?

steam_sig.png