As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Congressional Elections 2012: Scott Brown, Diviner of Ancestry!

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I see a character with a graphical glitch on his hat riding a speederbike

too much SWTOR

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    That PA district is hilarious. That is barely contiguous, and anything but compact.

You guys need to catch-up with the whole modern world thing and let a computer divide your states.

With Love and Courage
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Or have a nonpartisan board of experts do it like every other sane country.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    To be fair, the earmuffs district was meant to unite two Native American communities so they'd be able to elect someone to represent their needs, as opposed to being split up and largely ignored.

edited December 2011
    To be fair, the earmuffs district was meant to unite two Native American communities so they'd be able to elect someone to represent their needs, as opposed to being split up and largely ignored.

That's still absurd. You intentionally gerrymandered it, in otherwords, to favor a particular minority.

If you're going to do that, you may as well just say, "Fuck it," and give them a representative by default.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote:

That's still absurd. You intentionally gerrymandered it, in otherwords, to favor a particular minority.

If you're going to do that, you may as well just say, "Fuck it," and give them a representative by default.

Yet, that's current law.

What's the difference between slicing a continguious latino community into four pieces so majority white districts end up 75% white, 25% latino, thus making the latino's fucking irrelevant, and the bridging the two Native american communities? Why does the happenstance of their proximity give the latinos better votes than the Native Americans?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote:
    That PA district is hilarious. That is barely contiguous, and anything but compact.

You guys need to catch-up with the whole modern world thing and let a computer divide your states.
    We have more than one ethnic group. It complicates things a bit.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:
    The Ender wrote:

We have more than one ethnic group. It complicates things a bit.

Well the corollary is the we have historically discriminated against them, and have decided their rights should be protected

What's the difference between slicing a continguious latino community into four pieces so majority white districts end up 75% white, 25% latino, thus making the latino's fucking irrelevant, and the bridging the two Native american communities? Why does the happenstance of their proximity give the latinos better votes than the Native Americans?

You should use an ethnicity-blind process to divide districts, end of story. I mean, that doesn't seem ridiculous to you, that you have an element of acknowledged benign racism built into your district drawing process?

With Love and Courage
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Ender, do you not get why having districts set up so you get 1 D district and 3 R districts all at 100% is better than 4 R Districts split 25/75% between Dem votes and GOP votes (or vice versa)?

Kamar wrote:
    Ender, do you not get why having districts set up so you get 1 D district and 3 R districts all at 100% is better than 4 R Districts split 25/75% between Dem votes and GOP votes (or vice versa)?
    Having overly safe seats is always bad because it encourages extremism.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Then make every seat a toss-up or as close as can be managed given a state's leanings as a whole. Doesn't mean demographics shouldn't be taken into account at all.

Kamar on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    Kamar wrote:

In a winner take all election system overly safe seats vs simply safe seats does not encourage extremism.

What matters is where the median voter is(and where then the median congresscritter is) and splitting to ensure representation does not necessarily move the median voter or congresscritter towards the extremes.

wbBv3fj.png
    Goumindong wrote:
    Couscous wrote:
    Kamar wrote:

In a winner take all election system overly safe seats vs simply safe seats does not encourage extremism.

What matters is where the median voter is(and where then the median congresscritter is) and splitting to ensure representation does not necessarily move the median voter or congresscritter towards the extremes.
    The median voter stops mattering and the primary voters start mattering more if seats are very safe. If they are going to win unless they are murderous psychopaths, the party has an obvious reason to go extreme.

75/25 is not significantly less safe than 100/0.

• SoralinSoralin Registered User regular
    Or just forget districts and go with proportional representation.

• rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote:

You should use an ethnicity-blind process to divide districts, end of story. I mean, that doesn't seem ridiculous to you, that you have an element of acknowledged benign racism built into your district drawing process?
    In a word, no. It's not like someone is telling minorities how to vote. All it does is make sure that minorities (ethnic and otherwise) have a stake and voice in the system.

Otherwise you could have large groups of people who dont have any say in government and know that their vote doesn't matter. You could go with full proportional representation but that has it's own set of problems(rotten Burroughs and having a kkk caucus in the house for example)

We tried not limited the contents of a district based on ethnicity and we ended up with districts designed to completely remove the effect of minority votes. So this is one of those "Yea, in theory I'd like to avoid it but in reality you have to be ignorant to suggest it" kind of things.

The second objection I would have is why the fuck do you think we have geographical districts in the first place? It is because Representative X is supposed to be a spokesman for the communities in his district. If a community is split among several different Reps it greatly reduces their influence to the point of irrelevance. Which kinda kills the "for the people," bit and replaces it with "for the people who get to decide which people actually matter."

Couscous wrote:

The fact that state legislatures get to draw not only their own districts but those for Congress as well is possibly the biggest conflict of interest in modern politics.

Couscous wrote:
    The fact that state legislatures get to draw not only their own districts but those for Congress as well is possibly the biggest conflict of interest in modern politics.
    Oh, c'mon, now, Carrot. What about the fact that Congressmen have immunity from insider trading? That the best way to get the biggest payout as a Congressman is to go into lobbying immediately after? Or the fact that campaigns have to be paid for with huge corporate donations?

I mean, it's certainly a huge conflict of interest, but I don't know that I would go so far as "biggest."

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:
    What about the fact that Congressmen have immunity from insider trading?

What? And this isn't sarcasm.

I literaly mean "What"?

Possibly as in "the fuck"

edited December 2011
    Thanatos wrote:
    What about the fact that Congressmen have immunity from insider trading?

What? And this isn't sarcasm.

I literaly mean "What"?

Possibly as in "the fuck"

An act of Congress is the reason insider trading is a crime. So naturally Congress is exempt.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Yup. there's been a bill sitting in the hopper for what, eight years now, to try and fix it. Guess how much traction it's gotten?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Yup. there's been a bill sitting in the hopper for what, eight years now, to try and fix it. Guess how much traction it's gotten?

One or two people bring it up every year saying "come on guys!" and the rest reply "yeah yeah we'll get around to it eventually"? Just a total guess.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    Just wanted to say Elizabeth Warren is a baller, and I hope she mops the floor with Scott Brown in next year's election (not that he's a particularly horrible republican). I'm not sure if I should register to vote in MA for next year, or stick with an absentee ballot for CT so that way I can make super sure that Linda "WWE" McMahon doesn't set foot in capitol hill.

Brown's pretty much the same as every other Republican—he still asks how high when McConnell says jump. Don't pity him.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Ben Nelson (D/R - NE) isn't seeking reelection, apparently.

Absalon on
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It's pretty much a sure thing that the Senate is going to flip now, and I don't see house getting back in democratic hands either... Just pray Obama wins the election.

Uh, I don't think we were really counting on Nelson to win. Besides, if we can take Nevada and Massachusetts, we can afford to lose three seats besides Nelson and still retain 51 votes.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    It's pretty much a sure thing that the Senate is going to flip now,
    Your reasoning?

Dems are leading in every defended seat except for one Montana poll (Tester). Presuming North Dakota and Nebraska were also lost, you still need two Democratic losses on top of that.

This doesn't count Massachusetts(Warren leads polls), or Nevada (D challenger has a statistically insignificant lead).

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    Absalon wrote:
    Ben Nelson (D/R - NE) isn't seeking reelection, apparently.
    You need to refer to him with his title: i.e. "that piece of shit, Ben Nelson, isn't seeking re-election."

The Fox News take on it.

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Eh, I think I like to despair. <<; I'm always worried about the worst case scenario when it comes to politics. I'm going to be a basket case on election day.

edited December 2011
    You like to be pessimistic, huh? You've found the right party for that!

Pants, we're actually doing pretty well in the major races in North Dakota. Might lose them, but they'll be close.

Captain Carrot on
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I think it's going to be close in the Senate. The house is known for big swings, but the senate that is where it will be a fight. Maybe even 50/50, that would be interesting.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    You like to be pessimistic, huh? You've found the right party for that!

Pants, we're actually doing pretty well in the major races in North Dakota. Might lose them, but they'll be close.

Huh turns out you're right
    A poll commissioned by the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee offers the first evidence that the race for North Dakota’s open Senate seat could be competitive.

Former state Attorney General Heidi Heitkamp (D) leads Rep. Rick Berg (R) 47 percent to 42 percent in the internal poll, including a 21-point lead among independents. Just 11 percent overall were undecided.
    Roll Call currently rates the race Likely Republican.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    zepherin wrote:
    I think it's going to be close in the Senate. The house is known for big swings, but the senate that is where it will be a fight. Maybe even 50/50, that would be interesting.
    50/50 makes the VP a tiebreaker.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:
    zepherin wrote:
    I know, and Biden is crazy as shit my circus has arrived, and it makes things interesting especially with Lieberman.

Lieberman's retiring. He won't be in the next Senate. Thank fucking Christ.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Thanatos wrote:
    zepherin wrote:

But the Dems are not known for staying on message like the GOP. The GOP could probably swing a blue dog if they needed to.

Wouldn't 50/50 keep Reid as Majority leader though? That's something. Not a lot (can we replace him with Pelosi?) but it's something.

Tomanta on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    zepherin wrote:
    I know, and Biden is crazy as shit my circus has arrived, and it makes things interesting especially with Lieberman.

Except there won't be a Lieberman. He took one look at his polling, and announced his retirement.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
This discussion has been closed.