As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWcolonTOR] Damage Thread: I find your lack of DPS disturbing.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    This is my Sharpshooter build. Yes, I don't have Rapid Fire, but I've found that it's far to energy intensive to actually work (Triple speed shot is just "holy damn where's my energy and why didn't I actually do much DPS?"). I tend to do Illegal Mod's pump out 1 second Charged Shot's till Mod's is almost over, then hammer Speed Shot. So far, great results. It still sucks up my energy, but I'm able to get an extra talent point, which I wanted in order to maximize the other bonus's available to Slingers.

This was/is my Grenadier build. I swapped out of it to test the recommended rotations here, but will probably end up going back to it down the road. The critical flaw in it is learning to use your grenades well, so you're not breaking CC constantly in raids. It sounds simple, but when your 3 second CD, 20 energy Thermal Detonator does 2k damage to everything in 8m of your target....god it's easy to hammer that button. Grenadier also is pretty much unlimited energy (Due to Sabotage), which...well, I firmly believe allows for greater DPS. It's just going to be tricky to iron out that rotation.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Alacrity is stupid and it hurts Snipers/Gunslingers specd Marksmanship/Sharpshooter.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Gah I need to respec. My current Sniper setup will only allow me to get Followthrough at 32 instead of 30. That is a HUGE difference.

• Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    Alacrity is stupid and it hurts Snipers/Gunslingers specd Marksmanship/Sharpshooter.

This. Unless the class receives some sort of energy regen via equipment sets or a talent refinement, Alacrity is just going to lead to a Sniper/Slinger blowing his load too quickly.

See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote:

This. Unless the class receives some sort of energy regen via equipment sets or a talent refinement, Alacrity is just going to lead to a Sniper/Slinger blowing his load too quickly.

Well I *do* have a reputation to uphold...

I am really struggling with my sniper spec right now. I am all in with the marksmanship tree (at 40) with just 2 points in the 2nd tree (engineer) to get the extra energy. I keep reading lots of conflicting info with regards to the builds.

• Options
    emp123 wrote:

If you're commenting on the use of Black Market Mods (4% alacrity), then I could probably get behind the point, and would switch it to Hot Pursuit. I just haven't noticed a difference with or without it. Kind of two thrown away points most likely.

But since you were really non-specific, I'll just agree. Stacking alacrity in general is pretty stupid. A little bit? Meh, not that big a deal, but a little bit is kind of useless.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I feel like the 20% alacrity thing slinger/sniper gets at 50 kind of sucks, but it could be way worse, and definitely has its uses. There are fights where being able to pop that along with adrenals/relics for a mad burst is very helpful, like Soa phase 3, the hanoi boss, etc.

• Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Oh, I meant on gear. I use Illegal Mods if I'm in a situation where energy isn't an issue and I want to get as close to "burst" damage as you can with a Slinger/Sniper. But you'd never see me stacking it on my gear unless they change some fundamentals in the class/spec.

I still haven't seen any concrete info on Accuracy for a Gunslinger. Just how much should we be stacking to optimize damage output?

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    emp123 wrote:

If you're commenting on the use of Black Market Mods (4% alacrity), then I could probably get behind the point, and would switch it to Hot Pursuit. I just haven't noticed a difference with or without it. Kind of two thrown away points most likely.

But since you were really non-specific, I'll just agree. Stacking alacrity in general is pretty stupid. A little bit? Meh, not that big a deal, but a little bit is kind of useless.

Sniper Volley/Burst Volley and Deadly Directive/Black Market Mods are both useless talents. I dont even really care for the 20% alacrity move even though I can pop it and get 10 energy, its just super situational.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Now that I've reached the top of the Lethality tree on my Sniper, what's the group mind's feeling about Marksmanship (+1% accuracy) versus Energy Tanks (+5 Energy) ? I'm talking PVE only as I level.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote:
    Now that I've reached the top of the Lethality tree on my Sniper, what's the group mind's feeling about Marksmanship (+1% accuracy) versus Energy Tanks (+5 Energy) ? I'm talking PVE only as I level.

A related question: Does that +10 energy from talents give you a 10 energy cushion when it comes to the regen breaks? IE, I think it's like 70 energy where you go from full energy regen (5/s) to the next tier down. Does 70 stay the breaking point, or does it scale up to 77 or something?

• Options
    Bobble wrote:
    Fairchild wrote:

A related question: Does that +10 energy from talents give you a 10 energy cushion when it comes to the regen breaks? IE, I think it's like 70 energy where you go from full energy regen (5/s) to the next tier down. Does 70 stay the breaking point, or does it scale up to 77 or something?

Personally, Energy Tanks was the first thing I took since I figured the extra 10 energy would be pretty helpful throughout leveling. Im pretty sure 70 is still the point you go from 5/s to 4/s.

For those taking Snipers Nest (+1/s energy regen while in cover) its not a +1/s at every regen level, its +1/s at full regen, and then it scales down from there.

• Options
    So, I started using this Dirty Fighting spec.

Been cranking out 250k-300k in WZ's usually, with ~4:1 k/d ratio (actual kills are important, if you can do a billion damage but are letting them get healed...it might as well be 1 point of damage). Tonight will be the test in how it performs in PvE. But I have high hopes.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'm having trouble with my DPS Guardian. It's probably due to me being a bit under-geared, but gold mobs will always kill me & my companion unless I pop bubble and the 20m cooldown HoT.

I'm level 34, have just under 7000k hp (6995). I seem to hit like Napoleon Dynamite, even with my strength buff always up and a at-level strength stim. I always use Overhead Slash when it's off cooldown. My damage range seems to be wildly variant. The character sheet lists it as 240+ - 300+ (like 245-305). Is that normal?

Most of my gear is orange, and most of it has mods levels 28 and above. I'm not sure what else to do. I don't have the healer companion yet. I'm planning on finishing Alderaan quests first.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Nightslyr wrote:
    I'm having trouble with my DPS Guardian. It's probably due to me being a bit under-geared, but gold mobs will always kill me & my companion unless I pop bubble and the 20m cooldown HoT.

I'm level 34, have just under 7000k hp (6995). I seem to hit like Napoleon Dynamite, even with my strength buff always up and a at-level strength stim. I always use Overhead Slash when it's off cooldown. My damage range seems to be wildly variant. The character sheet lists it as 240+ - 300+ (like 245-305). Is that normal?

Most of my gear is orange, and most of it has mods levels 28 and above. I'm not sure what else to do. I don't have the healer companion yet. I'm planning on finishing Alderaan quests first.
    First, is the hilt on your lightsaber up to date?
    Second, just how many of those mods are level 28? Bump 'em up to 32-33 and it'll make a difference. Check your unmodded gear too (bracers, belt, offhand, etc). Do you have implants and an earpiece?
    Also, Gold mobs aren't supposed to be a cakewalk, and are we talking same-level golds or +1, or -1s?

Bobble on
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    I couldn't imagine soloing in this game as DPS without some type of heal available. It would just be too slow IMHO. And you are much more limited in what you can kill. I specced full concealment for some HMs on my Operative today. Then I went to try to do my dailies that way .... yeah no. I had to fully replenish after nearly every fight, and my companion would often die.

Meanwhile having 18 Medicine I can take on pretty much anything. I even solo'd the Heroic2+ daily on Belsavis with the Champion.

• Options
    Bobble wrote:
    Nightslyr wrote:

Second, just how many of those mods are level 28? Bump 'em up to 32-33 and it'll make a difference. Check your unmodded gear too (bracers, belt, offhand, etc). Do you have implants and an earpiece?
    Also, Gold mobs aren't supposed to be a cakewalk, and are we talking same-level golds or +1, or -1s?

Hilt and other components could use an update.

I do have implants and an earpiece.

The mobs are generally -2 (end of chapter 1/beginning of chapter 2).

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Nightslyr wrote:
    Bobble wrote:
    Nightslyr wrote:

How's your companion's gear? Implants/earpiece/hat?

Bobble on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Upgrade. Everything.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Bobble wrote:
    Nightslyr wrote:
    Bobble wrote:
    Nightslyr wrote:

How's your companion's gear? Implants/earpiece/hat?

I'll need to check. Her hp is nearly 1000 below mine (60xx). I haven't found any good orange gear for her while questing. Most of her stuff is green, with a few blues. She still hits slightly harder than me.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    How often are you using your interrupt and cc tricks? I will admit my Guardian dps has cybertech and is an alt so all his gear that is orange has level 30/33(I just hit 33) mods and armor so I am pretty tough but most of the times I die especially on champs it is because I mess up my interrupts. Guardians have a ton of interrupts with kick, push, stasis and force leap. If you interrupt the enemy's ability sometimes I can just chain it right and they do almost no damage to me and Kira. Also are you overleveled? If not hit up your space missions, try to get a flashpoint or two and maybe some pvp. Or go finish a bonus series, Nar Shadda is available for you now and should help you. Leveling dps before you get a healer companion is a lot harder than leveling a healer character or even a tank. You are pretty squishy compared to the other two.

Don't worry about blowing your three minutes(blade ward) or your 1 and half minute(enure) ability if you need to. Winning the fight matters just use them when they are up.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote:
    How often are you using your interrupt and cc tricks? I will admit my Guardian dps has cybertech and is an alt so all his gear that is orange has level 30/33(I just hit 33) mods and armor so I am pretty tough but most of the times I die especially on champs it is because I mess up my interrupts. Guardians have a ton of interrupts with kick, push, stasis and force leap. If you interrupt the enemy's ability sometimes I can just chain it right and they do almost no damage to me and Kira. Also are you overleveled? If not hit up your space missions, try to get a flashpoint or two and maybe some pvp. Or go finish a bonus series, Nar Shadda is available for you now and should help you. Leveling dps before you get a healer companion is a lot harder than leveling a healer character or even a tank. You are pretty squishy compared to the other two.

Don't worry about blowing your three minutes(blade ward) or your 1 and half minute(enure) ability if you need to. Winning the fight matters just use them when they are up.

I use my interrupts whenever I see a special ability bar on the mob pop up. I love Force Stasis.

• Options
    I tend to do:

Leap->Stasis (to build up Force and get some free damage on them)->Overhead Slash->whatever else makes sense.

Sometimes I'll immediately go Push->Leap again, for more free damage, but that depends on the environment. I save Kick in case the others are on cooldown.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote:
    I tend to do:

Leap->Stasis (to build up Force and get some free damage on them)->Overhead Slash->whatever else makes sense.

Sometimes I'll immediately go Push->Leap again, for more free damage, but that depends on the environment. I save Kick in case the others are on cooldown.

Save stasis for after the first round of damage or at least that is what I do.

Leap>sunder>overhead>strike>blade storm>sunder and just basically use stasis as an interrupt. If it is a champ with no specials I usually throw it in after both my dots are on him then repeat this. Usually will push and leap in there. Also carry health packs just because some fights you will need them.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    So my Sentinel hit 40 and got merciless slash, and it has thrown my DPS rotation juju off something awful.

Somebody teach me how to sentinel.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    I just started sorcerer (yeah, another one) and was looking at the talents. Does anyone know if Force Suffusion will increase damage of cybertech grenades? I doubt it, but maybe?

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Kainy wrote:
    So my Sentinel hit 40 and got merciless slash, and it has thrown my DPS rotation juju off something awful.

Somebody teach me how to sentinel.

You need to keep 9-10 focus pooled for when everything starts coming off cooldown, because of how everything is staggered, you have to be ready to chain a Merciless, Overload Saber, and Cauterize all in one go. Just Strike/Slash once you're at 8-9 focus and stay around 10.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    frijolefritofrijolefrito Registered User regular
    Speaking of SORC dps have you all seen the numbers on simulcraft? New deathfield changes apply to sorcs and does that put madness anyplace?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the creeping terror build sims ahead of everything but the 13/28 hybrid, and the difference is only a couple percentage points. It seems like 13/28 would be more fun to play, though.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    Maybe it's just my ops group, but when my Sith Juggernaut dies due to unfavorable melee fights, the boss seems to take half as much damage. Our Rakata geared tank does often ask if I'm taunting the boss...

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I've recently switched to a focus build on my Guardian and I'm really enjoying it. I just plow through mobs.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    I'd like to do a pvp focus build on my Guardian, but I always find myself playing alts instead of pvping to get the gear for it since all my pve gear is tank stuff.

In other news related to this thread, my jedi shadow dps is fun like mad. I love it so far, in both pve and pvp.

• Options
    Iceshot22Iceshot22 Terre Haute, InRegistered User regular
    So does anyone here play, or know anything about, sith assassin? My copy should be in tomorrow and I definitely want to get a Darth Maul/Burst Dps feel going for my character, but I heard somewhere that Sith warriors arent really practical for that sort of thing... Any thoughts or insight?

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend code-2578-3543-8236 | Xbox GT- IceShot22
  • Options
    Sith Assassin is an inquisitor AC, not Sith Warrior. If you want Darth Maul, go Sith Assassin. Saber staff, and you can DPS or tank. I have an alt that is the Jedi mirror, and it's very fun.

• Options
    Iceshot22Iceshot22 Terre Haute, InRegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote:
    Sith Assassin is an inquisitor AC, not Sith Warrior. If you want Darth Maul, go Sith Assassin. Saber staff, and you can DPS or tank. I have an alt that is the Jedi mirror, and it's very fun.

I misstyped when I had put sith warrior, I was still referencing assassin. Thanks for the insight though, def seems like I will be going Sith assassin.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend code-2578-3543-8236 | Xbox GT- IceShot22
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    No problem. It's a stealth playstyle, but it's a nice in your face dps style. I like that it's not reliant on DoTs at all, just nice hard hits. At least infiltration spec, which is what my shadow dps is.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    Nulian FeadraugNulian Feadraug Registered User regular
    Is it possible to have a good ranged DPS spec as an Operative? I'm between that and my merc, but EVERYONE is a merc (for good reason atm, I know)

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    the creeping terror build sims ahead of everything but the 13/28 hybrid, and the difference is only a couple percentage points. It seems like 13/28 would be more fun to play, though.

13/28 is a lot of fun, and considerably simpler to play than full Lightning, I have to say.

• Options
    frijolefritofrijolefrito Registered User regular
    13/28 is fun and can be utilized in pvp.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I played a warlock for years in WoW and I found full lightning all but impossible to play efficiently. There are too many buffs/debuffs/cooldowns to watch, and the UI puts them all over the place. Creeping terror was similar, but at least you don't have to watch your cooldowns as much.

13/28 is the most fun to play, but it's also unsustainable over a long fight if you are using a lot of wrath procs on chain lightning.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget