As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Legend of Zelda Thread: Wind Waker HD (Fall 2013) and New Zelda!

• Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Kor wrote:
    Dungeon bosses:
    Well, Ghirahim didn't earn any points in the coolness area. I mean his dialogue was awesome, but it didn't seem to fit his sudden costume change into the tights.

The Imprisoned look awesome, until you see his full body.

5th dungeon boss was a fucking joke. Looked like it was pulled straight out of a Kirby game.

2nd dungeon didn't really do anything for me either. It was a giant rock with really weak/scrawny legs.

well, I'm sorry, but
    the tights made the first boss (even though I can understand why some might object :P).

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Kor wrote:
    Dungeon bosses:
    Well, Ghirahim didn't earn any points in the coolness area. I mean his dialogue was awesome, but it didn't seem to fit his sudden costume change into the tights.

The Imprisoned look awesome, until you see his full body.

5th dungeon boss was a fucking joke. Looked like it was pulled straight out of a Kirby game.

2nd dungeon didn't really do anything for me either. It was a giant rock with really weak/scrawny legs.

Yeah, the bolded was probably one of the stupidest looking Zelda bosses ever.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    A lot of Zelda bosses traditionally have a weird eyeball fetish thing I've noticed, usually in a form where they are hovering around the boss itself. Although there have been some bosses which have incorporated this that have been pretty cool.

I think that it gets used often because its an obvious weak point of sorts, aside from looking creepy and unworldly.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    Really, it wasn't the eye that bothered me. It was the dreadlocks.

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited December 2011
    Gah, I'm not even talking about Skyward Sword bosses, just in general. Don't want to knooooow!

Rehab on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Regarding the dungeons, so far I don't think they hold up to TP's dungeons. The first one was passable, nothing really special aside from the dungeon item and boss, but not bad. Didn't like the second one, hated the third (I disliked the whole area, actually, also the part that opens up when you return) and loved the fourth dungeon. I heard the last dungeon reaches a Stone Tower level of complexity.
    -Bosses don't really appear intimidating, but kind of silly and unfitting

hm, up until now, I didn't notice anything particularly unusual about the bosses - well, no, there was one boss
    the giant demon, of all things. I mean, I have to hit it's toes, really?

That guy and the medusa squid thing....Really, just awful character designs that totally did not fit in with the rest of the game's aesthetic.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Bosses in Skyward Sword were pretty nice I thought, but I haven't finished the entire game yet.

So far I have to admit that I'm sort of feeling there aren't enough OMFGWTFHUEG ones though.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Whas with the making fun of Ghirahim? He's awesome
    in all his forms including the sword

Also Re: overworld corridors, I mentioned this before but
    Did you guys not go to the desert or somehow skip over the collect the macguffins trials? Maybe I'm missing obvious the obvious straightforward paths to complete the trials but when when I did them the world seemed pretty big and during those half the area was usually closed off.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
    Dritz wrote:
    Also Re: overworld corridors, I mentioned this before but
    Did you guys not go to the desert or somehow skip over the collect the macguffins trials? Maybe I'm missing obvious the obvious straightforward paths to complete the trials but when when I did them the world seemed pretty big and during those half the area was usually closed off.

It only looks open. Until the 5th dungeon, there is only one way through.

Not that I disliked it though.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Re: TP Bosses.

The difficulty really kills the wow factor of most bosses. You really have to gimp yourself to have some kind of challenge. Um...as far as 3D Zeldas go I think I liked Wind Waker's the most.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Wind Waker didn't have enough huge bosses in my opinion...

... But they were fuckawesome though.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Just in case you missed it: http://blamethelag.wordpress.com/2011/12/13/ten-reasons-the-zelda-cartoon-didnt-completely-suck/

I've already got two or three more Zelda articles planned, so hopefully I can get them done before the month is over.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    I am glad I gimped myself for Skyward Sword (didn't pick up any heart containers from bosses). The difficulty felt just right that way.

Hard mode feels pretty good, if not a touch on the easy side. Definitely don't pick up any heart medals though, it will ruin it.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    So. Any thoughts on Retro Studios making the next Zelda, as suggested by Miyamoto? I have a feeling it would be a 3DS title.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    *scratches head*

I don't know if they'll really get to make it when all is said and done, but I guess we'll see.

They can do pretty much whatever they want to the series and I guess I'd be okay with it, but I'm fairly certain whatever input they'll have in the next title will be pretty small if the game's going to release three years from now. Retro's currently developing something else entirely at full steam for the Wii U if I'm not mistaken, so what contributions they make will probably be something along the lines of that time they helped EAD Tokyo with Mario Kart 7. Not that that was a particularly small contribution or anything, but you can't really notice it's them. I feel something like this is probably going to happen.

Myes.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Retro has said they are developing a title for the Wii U that is "a project everyone wants us to do", which does not preclude Zelda

I wonder what it would be like to have a proper trilogy of Zelda titles, like Metroid Prime

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    edited December 2011
    On the discussion of bosses, I'm sticking with these as my favorites from before when I made this for a previous thread.

zeldabosses.jpg

(Note: once again, haven't played anything from Skyward Sword yet)

Rehab on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    hm, let me see

best OOT bosses - check
    best MM boss - check (although I'm also quite fond of the fish boss)
    best WW bosses - check
    best TP bosses - check (not a big fan of the Ganon fight but oh well)

throw in these guys
    Moldorm_Thumb.pngCrayk.gif

and you should be good

e: on second thought, I like the various incarnations of the ALTTP sand worms boss better than the LA boss

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited December 2011
    Yay! I am also a big fan of the crazy caterpillar boss from A Link to the Past. Unfortunately, I am not quite up to speed on Zelda bosses from the handheld games though, suffice to say. I've only played Phantom Hourglass on that end and its been awhile since then. From what I do recall however that crab boss was indeed pretty awesome.

Rehab on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote:
    Retro has said they are developing a title for the Wii U that is "a project everyone wants us to do", which does not preclude Zelda

I wonder what it would be like to have a proper trilogy of Zelda titles, like Metroid Prime

First Game: Young Link

Second Game: Adult Link

Third Game: Son of Link

Oh man. I want this.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote:
    Wind Waker didn't have enough huge bosses in my opinion...

... But they were fuckawesome though.

I dunno, seven large bosses seem like a good amount to me. And one of those has three different forms.

edited December 2011
    so, fifth dungeon - really fun and cleverly designed, cool midboss, AWFUL dungeon boss (wow, you weren't kidding)

I've seen on that map that I missed a treasure chest
    in a room behind the captain's cabin (I think you have to use the hookshot to get there)
    is it worth it going back to get it?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I think if Nintendo did give Retro a crack at making a Zelda game, it would be on the 3DS. After Spirit Tracks, I'd say the portable Zeldas could use a little shake-up.

so, fifth dungeon - really fun and cleverly designed, cool midboss, AWFUL dungeon boss (wow, you weren't kidding)

I've seen on that map that I missed a treasure chest
    in a room behind the captain's cabin (I think you have to use the hookshot to get there)
    is it worth it going back to get it?

I'm pretty sure yes.

I believe it is a
    Heart Piece

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    Sadly, Spirit Tracks is probably going to have higher lifetime sales than Skyward Sword.

Also, lol at Goht on that list and no Majora's Mask.

V0Gug2h.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    You know what I'm just outright stealing this from the GAF thread.

img_info01.jpg
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/zelda25th/guidebook/index.html
    Release date: 21/12/2011.
    Price: 3,255 Yen.
    274 pages.

img_intro01b.jpgimg_intro02b.jpgimg_intro03b.jpgimg_intro04b.jpg

And a preview of the Skyward Sword Manga:
    img_intro05b.jpg

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Really wish Terraria didn't release it's patch until I beat Skyward Sword. :( And today I got into the TOR Early Access.... I'll never finish this game.

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Kor wrote:
    Hard mode feels pretty good, if not a touch on the easy side. Definitely don't pick up any heart medals though, it will ruin it.

I really wish Hard mode was unlocked from the start because I'm unlikely to have the time to play it through again... Zelda games have been entirely too easy since Ocarina of Time. It would have been nice for us vets.

steam_sig.png
    Know what I hate?

Minecarts.

I hate them so much.

Please tell me that was a one time deal.

Are you talking about the tilting/jumping part? I fell twice, but the second time I slowed down on that final curve and made it through just fine. :P

But to answer your question: I don't know.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Re: Minecarts
    You only have to go through them once, then it returns as an optional mini game if you return to the site for a heart piece.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited December 2011
    urahonky wrote:
    Are you talking about the tilting/jumping part?

yes. the jumping part. my vision is terrible even with my glasses, I could barely see where the jump started. It probably took me about 15 tries =/

@Naph: whew

Xaquin on
    Xaquin wrote:
    urahonky wrote:
    Are you talking about the tilting/jumping part?

yes. the jumping part. my vision is terrible even with my glasses, I could barely see where the jump started. It probably took me about 15 tries =/

@Naph: whew

I must have been lucky.. I don't actually remember having to jump... I think I was going so fast at that point I made it. I definitely will not do it again for a heart piece lol.

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    Worst part is that it's totally meaningless.
    You find there's nothing at the end of the tunnel, leaving you empty-handed.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    So. Any thoughts on Retro Studios making the next Zelda, as suggested by Miyamoto? I have a feeling it would be a 3DS title.
    I think this could be really awesome. Largely because my least favorite thing about the 3-D Zelda games (the way they present information) is something that Retro is really really good at. I think they could go a long way towards streamlining and eliminating the stuff we hate about Zelda, and probably preserving all the stuff we like about it.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Holy fuck, this game is getting patched.
    Remember that big, game-ending Skyward Sword glitch that we first reported on a week ago? The one where you could accidentally break your game, preventing you from completing your epic adventure and forcing you to restart from scratch? Nintendo has been listening, and plans to offer a fix for Zelda's woes.

Nintendo says it will soon offer two solutions. If you have an internet connection, the publisher will distribute a "program" to repair the save data. The program is currently being developed and more information on how to download and use it will be released at an unspecified time in the future.

If you don't have an internet connection, you'll be able to send in your Wii system or your SD card with the save file. Call Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700 for details on how to ship your equipment to them.

This is being promoted on Nintendo's North American website as well as its Japanese site, so it sounds like Zelda fans worldwide should be able to get involved if they've run into this problem.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/121/1214853p1.html

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Doesn't sound like a patch that fixes the game itself, sounds more like a modification to your save file.

In other words, something that would need to be reapplied if you delete your save file and start a new one.

Or is that typically how console games do get patched?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Nah, you're right. But at least they didn't just leave it alone like in Twilight Princess.

This discussion has been closed.