As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Je Veux Te [Chat]

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Tarranon wrote:
    can someone lend me a dance song i can obsess over, i've kind of burnt out my collection
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNkZdfWbOQM

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Wouldn't "real sword fighting" just be what we see in the olympics but all the illegal moves/low blows added in?

Actually no. The weapons that are used in olympic fencing have an entirely different weight, balance and handling profile than a weapon that is actually capable of inflicting mortal harm to someone. The blade of a rapier is stouter, longer and heavier than an olympic fencing foil. It doesn't bend or whip like an olympic foil does. Because the weapon handles entirely differently (it is far, far faster) and what counts as a point (even the lightest touch, due to electronic scoring equipment) as opposed to what would be required to kill an opponent leads to a style of fighting that bears nearly no resemblance to how the weapons were fought with historically. Olympic fencing is further compounded by the fact there are right of way rules where, even if an opponent hit you first, if your attack had right of way over his due to the rules of the sport, you get the point. This isn't even getting into illegal moves or low blows.

Kendo has similar issues (though I know them less well) the weapons are faster and lighter than a real sword. There is a very limited number of legal striking zones and a strike much be delivered with enough intent to count in Kendo, even if it could be a killing hit with a real sword.

Excellent point, I didn't even think about the different weapons.

I wonder if there aren't any fencing books preserved from the time periods that would have had people fighting on battle fields with the blades in question.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Excellent point, I didn't even think about the different weapons.

I wonder if there aren't any fencing books preserved from the time periods that would have had people fighting on battle fields with the blades in question.

Well, in the case of the rapier not on battlefields, no, because it was a weapon of civilian defense and not battlefields, but, there are existing books and manuals from periods were people used them for self defense. Some are even online for free (though, generally in the original old italian, for translations, especially good translations you have to pay). Here's one such manual up at the ARMA website, they have more too:

http://www.thearma.org/Manuals/Fabris/book1/fabris_book1.htm

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:
    simonwolf wrote:
    Other idea for Thom's M&M game: Laika, the dog sent to die by the Soviet space program, comes back to earth... for revengeance

What powers would it have.

I am currently working with the idea of Sputnik Sweetheart (my real idea) having some degree of gravity control/manipulation, since my original idea of inertia control would probably be too difficult to implement

Laika would be much the same, only all her powers would be space dog puns

You could do a kinetic control array.

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    already acquainted with that fille inq

but she is mostly good stuff

i liked safari disco club a lot more than most of her older stuff

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor I've got a 9 jump trade route that pulls me in 5 mil a run. If I just had a real account instead of a trial one I could buy an industrial ship and actually be able to haul worth a damn and I'd be making mad bank. Unfortunately, as I'm at the point where I'm digging quarters out of the couch to buy dinner, I can't subscribe :(.

• Options
    Winky wrote:
    Inquisitor I've got a 9 jump trade route that pulls me in 5 mil a run. If I just had a real account instead of a trial one I could buy an industrial ship and actually be able to haul worth a damn and I'd be making mad bank. Unfortunately, as I'm at the point where I'm digging quarters out of the couch to buy dinner, I can't subscribe :(.

I heard they were making destroyers not suck. Makes me want to play again because I have an unhealthy love for the Amarr destroyer. It just looks sooooo cool.

• Options
    Winky wrote:

Sad :(

Someday Winky, some day.

• Options
    This is really isn't what you asked for Tar, but damn it I like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRjOU8oMi4U

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote:

I heard they were making destroyers not suck. Makes me want to play again because I have an unhealthy love for the Amarr destroyer. It just looks sooooo cool.

I've been flying around in a destroyer. It's the best thing I can get for trade and salvage that doesn't require me to buy a real account.

• Options
    thanks tag

i will give these

a listen

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Night chat.

• Options
    I'd be really surprised if you hadn't already heard them all in one form or another.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I want to play megaman x again

I never got my hands on x2 again... maybe I'll try and hunt that down after christmas

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Also, I have horrible taste in music; fair warning.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Variable wrote:
    I want to play megaman x again

I never got my hands on x2 again... maybe I'll try and hunt that down after christmas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:

That seems like the kind of thing I was going for, yeah, I just have to hunker down and figure out the specifics

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:

That seems like the kind of thing I was going for, yeah, I just have to hunker down and figure out the specifics

The sample alternate powers:
    The following are some suitable Alternate Powers for a Kinetic
    Control Array:
    • Boost Movement: By touch, you can channel kinetic energy
    to boost a subject’s movement speed, imparting a Boost
    Movement effect equal to your Kinetic Control power rank.
    • Deflect: You can drain away or redirect the kinetic energy of
    incoming physical projectiles, giving you Deflect (slow and fast
    projectiles) at your Kinetic Control power rank.
    • Drain Movement: The opposite of Boost Movement (previ-
    ously), you can drain away kinetic energy by touch, inflicting
    a Drain Movement effect equal to your Kinetic Control power
    rank.
    • Move Object: Through careful manipulation of kinetic energy,
    you can cause objects to move as you wish without touching
    them, a Move Object effect at your Kinetic Control rank.
    • Nullify Movement: You can remove the kinetic energy of
    a moving object all at once, leaving it momentarily at rest,
    a Nullify Movement effect at your power rank. Self-powered
    objects can start moving again on the following round by reac-
    tivating their movement effect.
    • Slow: You drain kinetic energy from a target to slow it down,
    a Ranged Paralyze effect with the Slow flaw at a rank equal to
    your Kinetic Control rank. Without the Slow flaw, you can truly
    paralyze targets, but rank is reduced to two-thirds.

• Options
  • Options
    i am not sure egoraptor has ever watched a non gamer try to pick up a modern game

as dumbed down as they apparently make them

it's still barely enough

i have seen people fall into open pits. smart people!

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Thom is I was interested in you M&M game what books would I need to pickup?

Ive got credit at the LGS I may as well use.

• Options
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    rms that video is why I want to play

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Well THAT level was ass.

No Bayonetta, you should not pretend you are suddenly a racing game. And no, don't play vaguely F-Zero sounding music in the back, that just reminds me of what a good racing game is.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Aaron and I were thinking of heading down to this specialty condom store and just buying some really expensive really tricked out condoms as a special treat.

What is good on a condom we usually just use Durex Love. Like do the ribbed or whatever ones actually make a difference?

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Well THAT level was ass.

No Bayonetta, you should not pretend you are suddenly a racing game. And no, don't play vaguely F-Zero sounding music in the back, that just reminds me of what a good racing game is.

shoulda outsourced that segment to capcom

and a certain other segment

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Aaron and I were thinking of heading down to this specialty condom store and just buying some really expensive really tricked out condoms as a special treat.

What is good on a condom we usually just use Durex Love. Like do the ribbed or whatever ones actually make a difference?

I use these she seems quite happy with them

http://www.trojancondoms.com/Product/intense-ribbed-lubricated-condoms.aspx

• Options
    Tarranon wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Well THAT level was ass.

shoulda outsourced that segment to capcom

and a certain other segment

Hm, I don't know what section you are referring to. I am curious and nervous at the same time.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Well THAT level was ass.

I had to double-check that Bayonetta wasn't made by Suda51, because that kind of thing is par for the course with him

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Ugh, bills!

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    i listened to your audio songs assembly bro

not really my style of dance songs but they seem like they'd be fun to drive or play video games to

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Alright, now goodnight, for realsies.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I had a rad night playing Transformers: WFC with my bros on 360

and now I have TOR to mess around with!

good times

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    There are two kittens in my room and I'm not sure how they got in here

• Options

Kitten wonder twin powers

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

poptart1red1.gif

• Options
    Should I watch Ran or The Battle of Algiers, [chat]

both would be a repeat viewing

• Options
    Its funny when oeople clearly pick up hookers and bring them to the hotel

This discussion has been closed.