Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Chaos] CitOW Game 61 - The Old World Cries Havoc for Tzeentch!

blahmcblahblahmcblah President KleptoIn your Quorum, stealing your pensRegistered User regular
edited January 2012 in Critical Failures
pic955226_md.jpg

Welcome to Chaos in the Old World, Fantasy Flight Games' boardgame take at Games Workshop's famous fantasy IP. In this game, players take the role of one of the four Ruinous Powers of the universe (and a fifth, uninvited guest). Speaking of which, I believe this calls for some introductions.

jdarksun as Khorne
Khorne loves long walks on the battlefield and nights alone with the recently deceased. He enjoys handywork, and has even so constructed a throne for himself from nothing but the skulls of the living. He's always on the lookout for new blood - in the most literal sense possible - earning him the title of "The Blood God." If Khorne were a flavor of ice cream, he would be Berserk Banana.

Jebu as Nurgle
The other white meat! Or in this case, possibly white pus. Nurgle, now with 300% more pestilence! This is Great Unclean One with the new Nurgle Treatment, and you won't believe it! Have you ever been traveling around, and all of a sudden you wish you had brought your horrific ailments with you? But how are you going to fit it all in your bags? Well that's easy with the new Nurgle (or as we should say, the Old Nurgle)! Watch as it spreads the epidemic over the entire countryside as you pass. And if you order now, we'll throw in this free plaguebearer. Call now!

Cerberus as Tzeentch
Spoiler:

Icerimp as Slaanesh
"Working for Khorne? It's ok, I guess, but I worry about my future prospects. You know how I'm probably going to die? Not enough blood left in my neck. You know how those Slaanesh dudes over there are probably going to die? Too many orgasms.
You can see my consternation." - Khorne Thrall

As the Prince of Pain and Pleasure, some might say that Slaanesh 'goes both ways.' His followers don't quite have a 'lust for battle,' but enjoy the 'corruption' of the aristocracy. He finds subtle usurping 'invigorating,' and sometimes even so much that he just has to release his 'keeper of secrets.'

The Bashar as the Horned Rat
The Horned Rat does not exist, nor is there such thing as the ratmen that worship it. Scholars have concluded that claims of an empire of vicious verminfolk are nothing more than stories invented to frighten the very young. Any reports of having sighted these "skaven" is seen as spreading discord amongst the faithful and, naturally, quite blasphemous. The skittering and scratching you hear deep below you at night is naught but the fevered workings of your imagination. If you insist that you have seen these creatures, please see your nearest witch hunter to be summarily executed for your blatant heresy.

----

This will be a Play-By-Post game of Chaos in the Old World for five players, wherein the players will vote on whether to use the Base or Morrslieb decks (for all but The Horned Rat), and on the composition of the Old World Deck. Invitations will be taken from the discussion thread and offered to the top three players on the main list and two newbies.

[RULES]
[FAQ]
[EXPANSION RULES]
[Headless Hollow Rules Summary]

Credits of Chaos
Adam Bloom for his rocking Handtracker site.
FWD for the awesome board app.
Mr.Blarney for the original design of our PbP board.
Rend for the comprehensive OP.
Darian for bringing order to chaos as games manager and our resident rules lawyer.

Previous games, aka recommended reading before playing, are linked from the CF Boardgame Index

General discussion thread for Chaos in the Old World is available here

blahmcblah on
Playing: "Caprica" Six in Exodus Game 12 of Battlestar Galactica
President Romo Lampkin in BSG: Daybreak Game 1

• blahmcblahblahmcblah President Klepto In your Quorum, stealing your pensRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    From Rend: A QUICK TUTORIAL ON CHAOS IN THE OLD WORLD
    Spoiler:

Useful information:
    Spoiler:

blahmcblah on
  • blahmcblahblahmcblah President Klepto In your Quorum, stealing your pensRegistered User regular
    Darian's personal Unofficial FAQ for the Horned Rat (Now with some official rulings):
    Spoiler:

Invitations have been sent; should any of the invitees not respond in the next few days, I'll send invites down the signup list until we have five players. Players, please remember to state your preferences for deck, OWCs, and god when you check in here.

• The BasharThe Bashar Registered User regular
    I am game!

I vote for Morrslieb, base Old World cards, and my god preference is: HR>Slan>Khorne>Tzn>Nurg

• JebuJebu Registered User regular
    Count me in!

I vote for Morrslieb, base OWC, and have no preference on gods.

• IcerimpIcerimp Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I'll be in, sure. Morrslieb and base OWC are good for me. Preference is all other gods>Khorne.

Icerimp on
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    I'm game!
    No preference on old world cards...
    Gods... Tz>S>K>HR>N

Also having never played on the boards before and basically being a bit of an idiot I may need walking through some stuff, though likely applications rather than rules and cards as I know those fine. Hope you don't mind helping me with stuff like that...

edited December 2011
    Well, that was decided rather quickly. I assume @lodwilk won't respond and have contacted another player.

Now that Morrslieb is the choice, should we vote on whether to nerf the Bloodletter upgrade for the game? Choices are:

A. 1 point per kill
    B. 2 points max per region
    C. Complete nerf, replace with Base upgrade
    D. I'm not convinced it's broken, no nerf

blahmcblah on
    edited December 2011
    Cerberus wrote:
    Also having never played on the boards before and basically being a bit of an idiot I may need walking through some stuff, though likely applications rather than rules and cards as I know those fine. Hope you don't mind helping me with stuff like that...

No trouble at all, although you can figure most stuff out by watching other games (which I know you already do) and reading the OP. It looks like you've already created an account on handtracker, which I believe @Icerimp needs to do.

blahmcblah on
    Yeah, I created a hand tracker, so I think it will likely just be the occasional dumb question about the dice rolling site(which I may or may not be able to access from work), colouring things correctly... etc
    Nothing too exciting, but wanted to check that helping isn't an issue rather than just presume as it is just a bit rude. Appreciate the help, regardless how much I end up needing, and the chance to play, thanks for hosting.

edited December 2011
    Yep, I created one, but under the wrong name. Oops. I'm on there as Icerimp now.

And what's everyone else's opinion on the Bloodletter upgrade? I've never played the expansion, so I feel I don't have enough experience to be able to make a good call on it.

Icerimp on
    Ok, great.

It's fine to abstain from the vote if you don't have an opinion. A number of people believe it's broken in its current form, so I figured I'd just put it out there.

I'll abstain from voting on it... will go with the others decision.

I am for leaving it in. It is dice dependent so if Khorne rolls well it works well while the opposite is also true.

I'm not convinced that it needs to be outright nerfed, so I'll vote to leave it in.

edited December 2011
    Hey, you're only a replacement in the sense that I had to at least make a show of inviting lodwilk (even though I knew he wouldn't respond) because he was higher on the list. You actually get to start this game from the beginning with some choice of god!

blahmcblah on
    edited December 2011
    Well, that was pretty easy. Meet our players:

jdarksun as Khorne

Jebu as Nurgle
    Cerberus as Tzeentch
    Icerimp as Slaanesh
    The Bashar as the Horned Rat

So we'll be playing with Morrslieb decks/upgrades, Base OWCs, and the Bloodletter upgrade as written. Permissions have been updated on handtracker, so you should all draw your first three cards.

blahmcblah on
    ...and then the power went out. Apologies for the delay, board is coming shortly.

edited December 2011
    Round 1, Old World and Draw Phases

The Crusade is Come
    Place one Peasant token in each of two different regions. Then place one Hero token in each of two different regions. Then place one Noble token in each of two different regions. - Discard this card instead of adding it to the Old World track.

Stop giggling, Slaanesh.

game61state1.png

The Horned Rat to place the new tokens.

After that, the Draw Phase:

Tzeentch may choose to discard one card (discards are done just by playing the card on handtracker, then linking it here) before drawing to 5.

Draw 2, 5 in hand, 19 left in deck
    Draw 2 or 3, 5 in hand, 19 or 18 left in deck

Once The Horned Rat has decided where the tokens are going and Tzeentch has decided whether or not to discard, Khorne will be active to begin the first summoning phase.

blahmcblah on
    Pesant in Tilea and in Kislev. Hero in The Empire and in Bretonnia.

And the Nobles?

That is to say, "Where would you like to place the two Noble tokens, @The Bashar?"

Whoops, completely missed that part.

Troll country and Norsca.

Round 1, Summoning Phase

game61state02.png

Tzeentch still needs to declare whether or not he's discarding. After that, Khorne (who should probably draw his other three cards) will be active.

Slaanesh doesn't giggle. He titters.

edited December 2011
    Yes. I messaged him yesterday - no response yet. I think it's probably too early to grab a replacement, so hopefully he shows up soon.

blahmcblah on
    Sorry for the delay...
    No discard for me!

We are supposed to draw another two cards correct?

Correct. Everyone should have 5 cards in hand at this point.

edited December 2011
    Warrior to Brettonia.

5/6 PP

Jebu on
    Bolt of change to Estalia (to no effect)

PP 6/6

http://handtracker.heroku.com/games/149/acts/9154

edited December 2011
    Daemonic Subtlety to Estalia
    (M) Daemonic Subtlety - 0 - Your Warriors and Greater Daemons in this region each place one corruption during the corruption phase.
    6/6 PP
    http://handtracker.heroku.com/games/149/acts/9155

Icerimp on
    edited December 2011
    Empty the Warrens - 0 in Tilea.

Place a Skaven Token in Tilea
    6/6pp

The Bashar on
    edited December 2011
    Round 1, Summoning Phase

game61state03.png

Chaos effects:
    Spoiler:

Khorne is active.

blahmcblah on
    Cultist to Brettonia.

4/6 PP

Cultist to Tilea

PP 5/6

Clan Rat to Troll Country

5/6 PP

Round 1, Summoning Phase

game61state04.png

Chaos effects:
    Spoiler:

Khorne is active.

Cultist to Brettonia.

3/6 PP