Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Electric discharge from workstation

rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
Alright technology folks, I'm coming to you with a new computer-related problem I'm not quite sure how to approach.

My computer desk is a combination of glass with a metal frame. For the last few days, I have intermittently been getting shocked when I touch the metal portion of the desk. It's audible and more painful than a typical static shock, and it doesn't seem to be related to my activity (I'm not shuffling around wrapped in fur). When this happens, my PC immediately loses connection to any external USB devices, and I have to hard boot it. When starting up again, I will get a error message in BIOS stating that no keyboard is detected, and I have to manually cycle the PSU off/on in order to get it to reboot.

This is a PC that I built myself three years ago. The only recent change was a new graphics card 3 weeks ago, but this has only been happening for the past 2-3 days. I'm worried that I've got a frayed connection somewhere and that this continued shocking is going to permanently damage my motherboard, but I have no idea how to go about identifying where this is coming from.

Help!

Loire_Eure_Chartres5_tango7174.jpg
Steam: rndmhero | 3DS: 2852-7643-7451 | Wiiu: rndmhero

• chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Well, it seems like a voltage leak from the USB bus.

Check the wiring to your cases front/top/side/wherever USB ports.

terriblepostsigpic.jpg
    AusPAX tickets get [X] Accomodation get [X] Plane tickets get [X] Goodie giftbags made [ ]