As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Excel question

El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey I know there are a few resident excel experts here I have a quick question.

Is there a way to set an #N/A output to be blank in a cell or equal to zero? The #N/A is only appearing because it references another cell that is blank at the moment but may not be in the future.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
Origin: theRealElMucho
El Mucho on

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    =IF(A1<>"",A1,0)

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    assuming 2007 or later:

=if(isna(<formula>),0 [or ""], <formula>)

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sweet, thanks all for the help, that worked wonderfully.

El Mucho on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    That formula, and vlookup should be taught in every school ever.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    the more I think about it, iserror() may be better to use instead of isna()...

edit: that would capture the other possible errors it could have.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    ISERROR and ISNA AREAWESOME

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I've found that often ISERR will miss some things, shooting out #N/A errors. To get them all, use both ISNA and ISERR.

[Edit]
    Then, of course, you will never have errors messages appear (you'll only see what you tell it to output in the case of those errors), so you need to be careful that you know what's going on and can still diagnose an error when things aren't working the way you expect.

LaOs on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    I'd stick to ISNA, because you're expecting that to pop up, and want a zero there. ISERR might give you a zero for a bigger issue, like LaOs said.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Exactly. If you are running into a problem and #N/A is constantly showing up, you only need to check for it with ISNA. That way, other errors (like #DIV/0 errors) will still show up.

[Edit]
    Basically, I've found ISNA only finds errors that will result in #N/A while ISERR will find all other errors. If you're only concerned with the #N/A stuff, just stick with ISNA.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, the particular error will only ever be an #N/A error so I will stick with that for now. But I am glad you mentioned ISERR because I was completely ignorant of that function (as well as ISNA), so thanks for bringing those to my attention.

El Mucho on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have another question.

I have the following formula which is indexing another sheet to pull values:

=INDEX('Sample Info'!C$2:C$200,MATCH($D28, 'Sample Info'!$A$2:$A$200), 0)

If there are no values on the sheet being indexed then the #N/A error is returned (which is fine) but I would like to be able to do what was done above and make it blank if there is nothing to reference (It makes the data table look tidier). I have tried to insert the IF(ISNA(... into the above formula but I can't seem to get it to work.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks again.

El Mucho on
  • Options
    Basically, take that whole INDEX formula and put it into the ISNA. Let's call that formula "cookies" and you'll see.

=IF(ISNA(cookies),"",cookies)

That will first check if "cookies" gives #N/A error. If it does, it results in "". If it doesn't, it gives the output of "cookies".

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Although, your INDEX formula appears to be attempting to reference the "0th" column in the array (which will likely cause an error). And, you should specific the exact match in the MATCH formula (so change it to MATCH($D28, 'Sample Info'!$A$2:$A$200,0) to be totally careful).

Since your array for the INDEX is just column C, you probably just want to change that 0 to a 1.

LaOs on
  • Options
    I tried =IF(ISNA(cookies),"",cookies) but it returned an incorrect formula and i couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Is that because I have a 0 instead of 1?