As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hold Onto Your Corn, It's the Last [Debate Thread] Before the Iowa Primary!

KanaKana Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Air Time: Thursday, December 15 at 9pm ET on Fox News

Live Stream: FoxNews.com
The next debate and last one before the Iowa caucus is set to take place this Thursday night, December 15th at 8pm CST in Sioux City at the Sioux City Convention Center. It will be hosted by Fox News and the Iowa Republican Party. This will be the last major televised debate in Iowa as Donald Trump has finally decided to cancel his debate that was well on its way to being doomed anyway.

The main storyline for tonight:

Talking Points Memo writes:
The stage is set: there’s an armada of Romney endorsements coming in. The National Review and the Washington Examiner are united against Gingrich. Along with George Will, and David Brooks, and Charles Krauthammer. David Frum, Peggy Noonan, Karl Rove. Gingrich’s poll numbers are plateauing.

But in some sense, all this is almost beside the point. Here’s what I want to know — who’s winning the Murdoch primary? What’s happening on Fox News? If they’re with Gingrich then he can hold up against the rest of the “establishment” (failing an epic gaffe), and if they abandon him then so too will the primary voters. What’s the verdict?

The Debaters for Tonight:
Newt Gingrich, somewhere around 30%, he's the current frontrunner in Iowa, but his poll numbers seem to be falling fast as most of the establishment recoils in horror at the idea of him in a general election.
gingrich_newt-19950323.2_gif_300x395_q85.png

Ron Paul, coming in at 18-20%, has been going strongly negative against Gingrich, and seems to be picking up some of the "Anyone but Romney" voters that are abandoning HMS Gingrich. He's a legitimate challenge for the Iowa nod, but will Fox News overcome their disgust with him to even give him a question?
ron-paul-as-che2.jpg

Mitt Romney, he still seems to be the only guy capable of running a general election campaign... But will primary voters be able to bring themselves to actually vote for him?
mitt_romney._06.22.07_lrg.jpg

Michelle Bachmann, polling around 8-10%. We haven't heard much out of her lately, except to find out she's surprisingly sane on Pakistan. Go figure.
5879670365_e36b6f9804.jpg

Rick Perry is also still hanging around 10%. At this point we'll count this debate a win for him if he can remembers his own name.
“People in Iowa and New Hampshire are no different than people elsewhere: they want to touch ya, sniff ya, smell ya.”
perry_rick-092911_jpg_300x792_q85.jpg

Rick Santorum is only polling around 4%, but for some reason still gets invited to these things.
Santorum-Saunders1.jpg

Jon Huntsman isn't actually running in Iowa, but is still going to be at the debate to pimp himself for the New Hampshire primary, where he's been gaining recently.
ED-AN799_winter_G_20110624161207.jpg

DRINKING GAME

Take 1 sip when:
Romney gets that 'who the fuck are these morons?' look on his face
The moderators invite a candidate to personally attack someone next to them.
Someone praises Reagan
A candidate pretends they have a deep love for Iowa
A candidate blames the librul media for all the problems
Someone says "Obamacare"
Rick Perry says 'jobs'
Ron Paul's voice starts rising in pitch
Someone mentions Jesus and/or the Christian morals of America
Everytime someone brownnoses Fox News
Someone says "The ____ agenda"

Take a drink when:
Romney unleashes his "fuck you asshole I'm supposed to be president" uncomfortable laugh
Romney angrily denies taking a position that we have videotape of him supporting.
Romney describes himself as a businessman
Ron Paul points out an uncomfortable fact
Perry embarrasses everyone on the stage with how stupid he is.
Gingrich says "fundamentally"
Gingrich tries to argue with the moderator
Gingrich describes himself as a historian
A candidate mentions a country other than America, Iraq, Iran, or Afghanistan
Every time someone treats Perry, Bachmann, or Santorum like real candidates

Finish your drink when:
Bachmann or Santorum actually say something reasonable.
Gingrich says something nice about the other candidates
Ron Paul agrees with another candidate
Perry gets a complete argument out
Huntsman gets a question
The audience applauds and/or boos inappropriately
Someone resurrects 9-9-9

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
Kana on

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Is it just me or is Perry mimicing Bush Jr's body language, hand gestures and speaking style more and more?

Seemed really apparent to me in the 5 minutes I could stomach of the last debate.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote:
    Is it just me or is Perry mimicing Bush Jr's body language, hand gestures and speaking style more and more?

Seemed really apparent to me in the 5 minutes I could stomach of the last debate.

When he starts flubbing quotes, I'll be right there with you. He's already got "be an idiot" down to a T.

• Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    The Newtering of Romney continues...

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    9pm?

ok, so 2.5 hours. Alright, I have time to do some chores and things before settling in to enjoy this.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    9pm?

ok, so 2.5 hours. Alright, I have time to do some chores and things before settling in to enjoy this.

Chores meaning being really drunk right?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh, should we come up with a drinking game? I had to take a few shots last week.

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    Oh, should we come up with a drinking game? I had to take a few shots last week.

Hmmm...I guess you could take a shot whenever someone mentions Reagan.

• Options
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

I'd like to live to see tomorrow.

• Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    ABRABRABRABRABR

So what happens if the establishment tanks Gingrich? Where does that support go?

ABRABRABRABRABR

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

I'd like to live to see tomorrow.

Take a shot anytime someone tells an outright lie, no then you'd be dead before the first question was done.

Take a shot for every mention of a war with iran?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Octoparrot wrote:
    ABRABRABRABRABR

So what happens if the establishment tanks Gingrich? Where does that support go?

ABRABRABRABRABR

To gingrich, you have to remember what happened with Christine O'donnel and Sharon Angle.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    We have to remember Fox is running this one. I was going to suggest "take a shot every time a softball question is asked," but man... "Loaded questions" wouldn't be safe either.

This is hard!

• Options
    OH I got it! Take a shot for every question that is asked about Obama doing something wrong.

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    OH I got it! Take a shot for every question that is asked about Obama doing something wrong.

Risky Henroid, you can stretch most of their questions to a not so subtle allusion to an obama policy or position. Maybe take a shot anytime Newt says something that makes you feel creeped out?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

Risky Henroid, you can stretch most of their questions to a not so subtle allusion to an obama policy or position. Maybe take a shot anytime Newt says something that makes you feel creeped out?

They're not afraid to be blunt, so the subtle stuff can be ignored and still make it a fun game.

And on the Newt suggestion, see my earlier post: I'd like to wake up tomorrow morning.

• Options
    I think I'll take a shot whenever someone says cap n' trade and I think they said Captain Trade.

• Options
    You could take a drink for every direct question they ask Santorum, though you might not get to drink at all with that one!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote:
    You could take a drink for every direct question they ask Santorum, though you might not get to drink at all with that one!

That poor fucker. How about a shot every time Bachmann interjects over someone else's time?

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

That poor fucker. How about a shot every time Bachmann interjects over someone else's time?

That might not actually be too bad.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    9pm?

Sadly, no. I'm on the other side of the world, so it's still daylight for me. Laundry, dishes, house cleaning, that kind of thing.

• Options
    Preacher wrote:
    9pm?

Sadly, no. I'm on the other side of the world, so it's still daylight for me. Laundry, dishes, house cleaning, that kind of thing.

Well I'm glad our politics are amusing to those across seas. Know our misery!

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Take a shot every time you hear a No True Scotsman fallacy and / or 'The [blank] agenda'. Fox News likes that stuff just enough for it to be a good fit.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote:
    I think I'll take a shot whenever someone says cap n' trade and I think they said Captain Trade.
    The preferred title is Cap'n Trade.

• Options
    Hava is a former us citizen living in kiwi land if I remember right, might even still be able to vote if her governor hasn't been swapped with a republican.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Oh really? Shit, can't blame you for bailing on the country.

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    Oh really? Shit, can't blame you for bailing on the country.

Gotta get out before the gay agenda destroys what it really means to be married.

Oh wait, it doesn't count if I say it.

Oh well.

*Drinks*

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Preacher wrote:
    Hava is a former us citizen living in kiwi land if I remember right, might even still be able to vote if her governor hasn't been swapped with a republican.

Still a citizen.

And I can vote, I'm from Delaware, solid Blue. I've even already sent in my absentee ballot requests. :P Over a year early. I'm living down here cause I met and fell in love with a kiwi (ecco the dolphin on these boards, actually).

So I have a pretty vested interest in how crazy the politics are. Affects family and things, you know. :P

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Take 1 sip when:
    Romney gets that 'who the fuck are these morons?' look on his face
    The moderators invite a candidate to personally attack someone next to them.
    Someone praises Reagan
    A candidate pretends they have a deep love for Iowa
    A candidate blames the librul media for all the problems
    Someone says "Obamacare"
    Rick Perry says 'jobs'
    Ron Paul's voice starts rising in pitch
    Someone mentions Jesus and/or the Christian morals of America
    Everytime someone brownnoses Fox News
    Someone says "The ____ agenda"

Take a drink when:
    Romney unleashes his "fuck you asshole I'm supposed to be president" uncomfortable laugh
    Romney angrily denies taking a position that we have videotape of him supporting.
    Romney describes himself as a businessman
    Ron Paul points out an uncomfortable fact
    Perry embarrasses everyone on the stage with how stupid he is.
    Gingrich says "fundamentally"
    Gingrich tries to argue with the moderator
    Gingrich describes himself as a historian
    A candidate mentions a country other than America, Iraq, Iran, or Afghanistan
    Every time someone treats Perry, Bachmann, or Santorum like real candidates

Finish your drink when:
    Bachmann or Santorum actually say something reasonable.
    Gingrich says something nice about the other candidates
    Ron Paul agrees with another candidate
    Perry gets a complete argument out
    Huntsman gets a question
    The audience applauds and/or boos inappropriately
    Someone resurrects 9-9-9

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Is huntsman even at this debate?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    Inappropriately like the wild cheers just because someone said Ron Paul's name, or "let him die" inappropriate?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Preacher wrote:
    Is huntsman even at this debate?

Oddly, yes. He's not running in Iowa though.
    Octoparrot wrote:
    Inappropriately like the wild cheers just because someone said Ron Paul's name, or "let him die" inappropriate?

let him die, booing a vet, cheering executions

Kana on
  • Options
    probably the 'let him die' inappropriate.

• Options
    Octoparrot wrote:

More of the let him die, or cheering for someone being executed, or booing someone because they are gay. You know the classy things pubs do at their debates.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    'Let him die'? Who said that, and in reference to whom?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
  • Options
    At least Paul practices what he preaches with regards to letting people die due to medical bills.

http://news.firedoglake.com/2011/09/14/former-paul-campaign-manager-died-from-lack-of-health-insurance/

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Blitzer: 'Are you saying we should just let him die?'

Crowd: 'Woo! Yeah! WOOO!'

Me: *Drink*

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    So I decided to watch this debate

I turned fox on a few minutes ago and watched for like 90 seconds

Good lord this channel is worse even than I remembered it

• Options
    I'm hoping the Fox News channel on my satellite radio covers it. I don't see why it wouldn't but goddamn it, it better.