As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[StarCraft2] Trash micro but win--is marine.

• Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    It's a good thing they can teleport so they only have to attack when their opponent doesn't want to

TannerMS on
  • Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    well roaches are really good at trading efficiently versus probes so they do have that

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    TannerMS wrote:
    It's a good thing they can teleport so they only have to attack when their opponent doesn't want to

well except of course that if you blink away from a roach it is back up on your ass taking potshots again in about 2 seconds because it has stupid fast movespeed.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Seguer wrote: »
    To stop the forcefield on ramp thing Zerg's just need to spread their units around their base.

Just like Protoss against Terran drops!

or terran against protoss with warp prisms!

of course the difference is against toss you better have foreseen the amount of army at each place because there's no army repositioning to be done. (if they get a sentry close to the ramp)

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Dhalphir wrote:
    TannerMS wrote:

well except of course that if you blink away from a roach it is back up on your ass taking potshots again in about 2 seconds because it has stupid fast movespeed.

A roach will pull 2 roachlengths ahead of a stalker if they walk side by side the length of the entire maximum map length in Starcraft 2. For all intents and purposes its the same speed as a stalker not even considering blink.

redraptor on
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Smart Zergs stutter step their roaches all up in yo shit so that even if you are blink microing, they can still reach the hurt ones at the back.

• Options
    They have the same movespeed, if you have things controlled right they actually can not do that unless you are fighting on creep like a brain scientist.

But most protoss just leaves their stalker balls unminded while they pan over to their 12 inactive gateways on one base and think hrmmm I need more of these to keep that money down.

• Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    redraptor wrote:
    They have the same movespeed, if you have things controlled right they actually can not do that unless you are fighting on creep like a brain scientist.

But most protoss just leaves their stalker balls unminded while they pan over to their 12 inactive gateways on one base and think hrmmm I need more of these to keep that money down.

people actually believe this

it's hilarious

• Options
    edited January 2012
    oh my god protoss

what a fucking joke of a game I just played. up like 70 supply and then I lose.

because of... archons I guess? the big battle where there was the most pathetic fucking trade was against archons.

I guess I made a couple too few ghosts olol

I hardly fucking macro'd perfectly in the half hour game but I was ahead through all of it. all.of.it

so I guess 'm just the worst.

edit - archons and colossus. didn't have enough vikingsa nd ghosts, only 70 supply more so I guess that makes sense

edit - hahahaha 30 more scvs. I also split my army to drop him (this was dumb, he was still on 3 bases, killing that army wins me the game but I ddin't think he'd attack me) at the wrong time. silly me. he keeps his shit together and it's unkillable, I split mine up making him even stronger. than boom just warp in DTs INSTANTLY and my drops are done.

Variable on
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Archons and Collosi are among the most cost and supply efficient units Protoss has, Vari.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    yes I know

I didn't know it was that extreme obviously, or didn't expect exactly what happened to happen. doesn't mean I don't know they are good units :D

they are actually among the best units in the game, at least against terran. and zerg. and protoss.

edit - alright the game was mine except that I split up my army. sucks but I can look at it as a positive game... he was high ranked masters and I would have won if not for a bad mistake at a bad time with not enough tech at home to save my ass.

could certainly have spent money better, if I remembered to hit 3/3 on time maybe I win the game sooner. not bad all told, just he got that blob and I didn't have enough in one spot to kill it.

sorry for ranting

Variable on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    The fact that blink micro is useless against roaches on or off creep if the Zerg player isn't retarded isn't an opinion thats up for debate, its simply a fact.

If a Zerg is not a moron, he will move his roaches up in front of your stalkers and in amongst the formation during the fight, and blink micro is totally useless. The only thing you can do in tht situation is blink the entire ball away and run totally. Blink micro is only useful against bad Zergs who don't fight in melee range with roaches.

Mass roach from a stable Zerg economy is essentially unbeatable without plenty of forcefields to handle it.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    The stalkers are the same speed as the roaches, you can move them back when the roaches move up. I won teh debate oh wait I wasn't allowed to have one.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote:
    The fact that blink micro is useless against roaches on or off creep if the Zerg player isn't retarded isn't an opinion thats up for debate, its simply a fact.

i missed you

• Options
    Koreans must be retarded, they get a useless upgrade every game

• Options
    Nothing about the Protoss race is cost-efficient, Seguer, except for perhaps upgraded chargelots.

In fact the entire Protoss race is built around being cost-inefficient but very very supply efficient.

This is why they are strong in the late-game, when supply, not cost, is the limiting factor on an army.

And also why they are relatively much weaker in the midgame compared to the other races, when cost, and not supply, is the limiting factor on your army.

• Options
    I don't think that's true at all Dhal, that no unit is cost-efficient?

• Options
    TannerMS wrote:

Blink is really good even if roaches are on the field. It makes stalkers very very mobile. But against roaches, it does NOT help in a straight up fight.

• Options
    my mutas keep losing straight up fights against marines, they're useless

• Options
    If we played starcraft by lining two armies up and smashing face you might have a point. That's not how the game actually works though.

Also, HTs, DTs, Colossi, Immortals, Carriers and Archons aren't cost efficient? Seriously?

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote:
    TannerMS wrote:

Blink is really good even if roaches are on the field. It makes stalkers very very mobile. But against roaches, it does NOT help in a straight up fight.

What about when Toss is doing this sorta thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzwQZ3oHLBE

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    goddamn this is refreshing, the holidays were way too dead around here....

oh right dhal's back. that's what it is.

I am very happy you're back, you help keep this thread going and interesting.

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote:
    TannerMS wrote:

What about when Toss is doing this sorta thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzwQZ3oHLBE

those roaches aren't doing the thing dhal said causes a problem against blink

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Variable wrote:

I don't think any Protoss unit is capable of beating its equal cost in any combination of Zerg or Terran units.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Colossi vs Hydras

• Options
    HTs might be an exception.

• Options
    TannerMS wrote:
    Colossi vs Hydras

I would be willing to bet that three hydras would destroy one colossus if they were not stacked. Obviously haven't tested that. And the Colossus is still more expensive than three hydras, by 50 gas.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    My argument probably shouldn't be stated in absolutes, because I haven't tested everything, but I don't think it's particularly disputable that Protoss units are known for supply efficiency and not cost efficiency - That is what causes the entire deathball problem that everyone hates so much.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    dt's vs everything on the ground

edit: oh, thought of another good one!

voids vs blords

815165 on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Variable wrote:

I don't think any Protoss unit is capable of beating its equal cost in any combination of Zerg or Protoss units.

I'd need a cost guide or something

but I don't know, I'm not sure it's that simple. I guess I'd question that that's a fair way to do it since like, 1 marine blows dick but a bunch of marines is amazing, hence they are cost efficient.

DTs are infinitely cost efficient if we do what you propose since they are infinitely invisible.

edit - I agree that they are quite supply efficient. I just also think they are relatively cost efficient for the most parts. it's still a difficult thing to talk about... a zealot gets zero kills but protects your stalkers for 3 seconds, what is that worth? ... depends.

Variable on
  • Options
    wait vari stop trying to get dhal banned again with your ridiculous examples

• Options
    Variable wrote:
    Variable wrote:

I don't think any Protoss unit is capable of beating its equal cost in any combination of Zerg or Protoss units.

but I don't know, I'm not sure it's that simple. I guess I'd question that that's a fair way to do it since like, 1 marine blows dick but a bunch of marines is amazing, hence they are cost efficient.

DTs are infinitely cost efficient if we do what you propose since they are infinitely invisible.

You're right, its not that simple and it was a silly thing for me to suggest.

I think, however, that if you were to take three armies, one from each race, and limit their numbers by cost, the Protoss would have the weakest army, whereas if you took three armies and limited them by supply, the Protoss would have the strongest.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote:
    TannerMS wrote:
    Colossi vs Hydras

I would be willing to bet that three hydras would destroy one colossus if they were not stacked. Obviously haven't tested that. And the Colossus is still more expensive than three hydras, by 50 gas.

You're an idiot

• Options
    i think you mean silly goose.

• Options
    Variable wrote:
    Variable wrote:

You're right, its not that simple and it was a silly thing for me to suggest.

I think, however, that if you were to take three armies, one from each race, and limit their numbers by cost, the Protoss would have the weakest army, whereas if you took three armies and limited them by supply, the Protoss would have the strongest.

now this could be a lot of fun haha

I do get your point though, that kind of solidified it for me better. I'm still not sure to what extent I agree.

• Options
    815165 wrote: »
    wait vari stop trying to get dhal banned again with your ridiculous examples

how dare you

wait I mean how are you

• Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Ok all. I'm back on the ground after a 5 hour flight. You can stop your inane pusedo-balance rambling about stalkers like you're all copper leaguers from the beta!

>_<

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    this has actually been really weird, talk about the ultralisk bug and roaches vs stalkers is pretty much this thread from the beta

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    But stalkers remain really really bad unless you are ahead, in which case they are borderline broken at times.

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Anyone know where I can find the replays of the bomber tvz games that were featured on yesterday's Day9 daily?