As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Half of America is Poor -CBS

[Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubtRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57343397/census-data-half-of-u.s-poor-or-low-income/
(AP)

WASHINGTON - Squeezed by rising living costs, a record number of Americans — nearly 1 in 2 — have fallen into poverty or are scraping by on earnings that classify them as low income.

The latest census data depict a middle class that's shrinking as unemployment stays high and the government's safety net frays. The new numbers follow years of stagnating wages for the middle class that have hurt millions of workers and families.

"Safety net programs such as food stamps and tax credits kept poverty from rising even higher in 2010, but for many low-income families with work-related and medical expenses, they are considered too `rich' to qualify," said Sheldon Danziger, a University of Michigan public policy professor who specializes in poverty.

"The reality is that prospects for the poor and the near poor are dismal," he said. "If Congress and the states make further cuts, we can expect the number of poor and low-income families to rise for the next several years."

Recovery™

Poverty. Are you poor? Notice an increase in poverty in the last few years?

50 percent is a lot. I haven't checked, but I'm sure the US definition of poor would be incredibly wealthy for much of the world. So how big a deal is this actually? Is this a minor hiccup, soon to be corrected? Or maybe we're nearing a repeat of the Great Depression.

I get the feeling this will be a major part of Obama's campaign. Half is such an easy number to use, it will fit easily into a slogan.

mvaYcgc.jpg
[Tycho?] on

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    This could be in the
    [Economy]
    [Obama Administration]
    [Primaries]
    and perhaps other threads. I wouldn't be opposed to merging, but I thought this would be a big enough story for its own, likely more short lived, thread.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    It all depends on definitions. Presumably poor doesn't mean below median income.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Poor isn't about an amount of money so much as how difficult it is to be able to support yourself / your family on your income. Drawing the comparison to "well, twenty thousand dollars a year is a LOT in other countries" takes the whole thing off mark.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Poor isn't about an amount of money so much as how difficult it is to be able to support yourself / your family on your income. Drawing the comparison to "well, twenty thousand dollars a year is a LOT in other countries" takes the whole thing off mark.

Yeah, it's really meaningless.

And yes, I'm totally poor. I used to be a (classically trained!) cook, and now I've been unemployed almost this entire year. Not only can I not get a job, I'm watching the pay for the jobs I can't get go down as well. It's crazy. Now I'm temping for minimum wage at a candy factory maybe a 3-4 days a month. Trying to get back into school to work on my finance degree, but community colleges are so over-filled right now that I basically have to try for an overload on any class I need.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Have... have you met Mr. Wonka?

Edit - I probably shouldn't throw out one-liners as my only post content. Let me get back on track. I would describe my situation as being poor as well. Only, it really is even if you go on dollar amounts. I've been working at this place for a whole year getting nothing more than 20-ish hours a week, breaking 30 probably twice. I can't afford rent, and currently live in a situation where I don't pay any, but I've been literally living paycheck to paycheck. Mind you, these are the worst working conditions I've been under at any job in any point of my life. The money situation wouldn't bother me as much if the mental fatigue didn't set in from that.

Henroid on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

No, Wonka fired all his American workers so that he could use illegal immigrants.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

No, Wonka fired all his American workers so that he could use illegal immigrants.

This is really depressing.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Exactly. The other frustrating part is the fact that as we have pushed more and more for the current generation to go into college they are entering a job market without any jobs available for them, which means families are spending money and/or taking out loans to help pay for college tuition and then end supporting the same people who are not able to obtain jobs once they graduate. Even before the economy tanked we were facing a reduction in the amount of jobs available to people.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    We should lobby Congress and ask them to turn The End of the World off.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Explain something to me.

In Canada there is healthcare the government provides thats free for everyone but we have to pay higher taxes for it right?

In the US is there no such thing?

In America, Healthcare Insurance is a profit generating business. Hurrah for pain and suffering!

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Explain something to me.

In Canada there is healthcare the government provides thats free for everyone but we have to pay higher taxes for it right?

In America, Healthcare Insurance is a profit generating business. Hurrah for pain and suffering!

Technically, we provide subsidies to the for-profit businesses under the hope that they will drop the price, but it doesn't work.

But we keep trying because

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    We wanted to do Single Payer, but the GOP fucked that up for us.

• Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Explain something to me.

It's a hell of a thing to reflect that we've gotten to the point where we've basically taken for granted that people routinely make millions off denying care to the sick.

Like, that's a status quo that public figures defend, and are applauded as defenders of capitalism for doing so.

That's a profoundly unsettling thought when it's late at night and a loved one is refusing to go to the emergency room due to sheer fear of the costs.

Edd on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    You are not prevented from recieving care in America if you have no insurance/money.

But that doesnt mean its free, or that you wont end up bankrupt/homeless.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Explain something to me.

Not only that, it's a mechanism for employers to control their employees.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Robert Rector, a senior research fellow at the conservative Heritage Foundation, questioned whether some people classified as poor or low-income actually suffer material hardship. He said that while safety-net programs have helped many Americans, they have gone too far, citing poor people who live in decent-size homes, drive cars and own wide-screen TVs.

"There's no doubt the recession has thrown a lot of people out of work and incomes have fallen," Rector said. "As we come out of recession, it will be important that these programs promote self-sufficiency rather than dependence and encourage people to look for work."

Please go DIAF, Mr. Rector.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote:
    You are not prevented from recieving care in America if you have no insurance/money.

What's bizarre is that there are, if I'm not mistaken, certain protections in place for what medical providers can and can't do to harass people for back payment. Which implies an understanding of some serious systemic problems for the working poor, but no willingness to do anything meaningful about them.

• Options
    Robert Rector, a senior research fellow at the conservative Heritage Foundation, questioned whether some people classified as poor or low-income actually suffer material hardship. He said that while safety-net programs have helped many Americans, they have gone too far, citing poor people who live in decent-size homes, drive cars and own wide-screen TVs.

"There's no doubt the recession has thrown a lot of people out of work and incomes have fallen," Rector said. "As we come out of recession, it will be important that these programs promote self-sufficiency rather than dependence and encourage people to look for work."

That sounds like the same kind of crap that came out of the republicans a year or so ago, craziness along the lines of " They own a TV and a Refridgerator, THESE FILTHY PARASITES "

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote:

That sounds like the same kind of crap that came out of the republicans a year or so ago, craziness along the lines of " They own a TV and a Refridgerator, THESE FILTHY PARASITES "

That was a couple months ago, and that was Mr. Cain, who was trying to run for President.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Buttcleft wrote:

That's because it's coming from the cesspool they get their talking points from, a.k.a. The Heritage Foundation.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Buttcleft wrote:

That was a couple months ago, and that was Mr. Cain, who was trying to run for President.

Feels like its been an eternity.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote:

That's because it's coming from the cesspool they get their talking points from, a.k.a. The Heritage Foundation.

poverty_amenities.jpg

I like this response.

• Options
    And used microwaves aren't even worth anything anymore.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Edd wrote:
    Buttcleft wrote:

What's bizarre is that there are, if I'm not mistaken, certain protections in place for what medical providers can and can't do to harass people for back payment. Which implies an understanding of some serious systemic problems for the working poor, but no willingness to do anything meaningful about them.

tumblr_lw5a681Vqu1qcmpx5o1_500.jpg

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote:
    Buttcleft wrote:

poverty_amenities.jpg

I like this response.

If you don't have a refrigerator where are you going to keep eight days worth of food?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    I'm definitely poor. While I wouldn't say I've noticed an increase in poverty per se, I have noticed an extreme lack of mobility and that those who are unemployed have a hell of a time finding any work at all.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm definitely poor. While I wouldn't say I've noticed an increase in poverty per se, I have noticed an extreme lack of mobility and that those who are unemployed have a hell of a time finding any work at all.

I've sort of wondered about this. What do you do to prevent employers from denying jobless people outright on the basis of joblessness? Is there any way in which it's reasonable to, like, legislatively deny an employer the right to know your current employment status at the time of a hiring decision?

It's hard for that not to sound like an equally insane solution to an insane problem.

Edd on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My dad works at a construction company, and my mom worked in a loan office. So, suffice to say, things are a lot tighter than they used to be. Turns out it's not always a great idea for both people in a marriage to be in related industries! D:

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    50 percent is a lot. I haven't checked, but I'm sure the US definition of poor would be incredibly wealthy for much of the world.

I would say that there is a difference between 'poor', 'desperate' and 'abject despair'.

A lot of people in the west fall into the 'poor' category. They can, mostly, feed themselves and eke out some meagre & unfulfilling existence, which should be emarrassing for the public at large, given how incredibly wealthy the nation as an aggregate is.

A few people in the west fall into the 'desperate' category. Their ability to feed themselves, keep themselves clean, shelter themselves, etc, has completely atrophied (a lot of those in this situation suffer from mental illness), so they beg in the streets in order to stave-off starvation and seek shelter wherever they can find it.

Nobody in the west really falls into the 'abject despair' category, which is what you see a lot of when you're in a failed state. People with full faculties, but absolutely no hope, and not even a community to beg for food in. Survival is the single objective in the person's life.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    Edd wrote:
    Buttcleft wrote:

As an aside - I'm pretty sure that if you're dying of cancer - they aren't required to provide any services whatsoever.

I remember quite a few people dying because the only public hospital in vegas closed for this very reason.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    as a very poor dude who is on medicaid and food stamps: probably the most depressing part is how apathetically i'm treated by the workers at the welfare office. obviously i'm upset with the chasmic gulf in wealth, and i'm angry with shitty politicians... but none of it touches me as personally (or infuriatingly) as the dicks i interact with on the regular to keep my benefits active. i know dealing with the general public- especially some of the real shit cases that come through the welfare office- must be demoralizing. even so, the extent of the 'i don't care who you are or what you're going through, you rancid piece of garbage, just shut up and get away from me' vibe i get from these people makes me want to cry sometimes. they (the receptionists and data entrants and basic workers) can't be making more than, what, 10-12 bucks an hour? the caseworkers probably make not much more. i'm sure they're just trying to collect their paychecks like anyone else, but man.

those hours i spend in the office (to submit an updated form or fix a mistake on their end or whatever) are some of the most humiliating and frustrating i'll ever experience.

• Options
    ...Can someone explain what American food stamps actually are? Like, is it literally a postage stamp-esque thing that basically acts as a free food coupon?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    The Ender wrote:
    ...Can someone explain what American food stamps actually are? Like, is it literally a postage stamp-esque thing that basically acts as a free food coupon?

i believe the entire country has switched to electronic debiting, now. it's state by state so there might be some low tech holdouts, but most places offer 'cash' (which is like direct deposit to a debit card) and 'food stamps' (which are direct deposit of funds to the same debit card that can only be applied to food)

• Options
    The Ender wrote:

No, it's a debit card type thing now. The government gives you a set amount of money that you can use on certain foods each week/month.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    The Ender wrote:

They used to come in a sort of coupon form, but nowadays I'm pretty sure almost everywhere they're handed out as a debit card (that may or may not even be a VISA/MC). The only difference is that they can only be used for items that qualify (the card won't let you buy anything else with the money).

EDIT: And yeah, the cash portion that can be used for non-qualifying items, but I didn't want to complicate it too much.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ...Err. Okay.

So, how does it distinguish between food and other stuff? Or is it up to the clerk at the grocery store to see what you've bought?

Or do you have to like bring in the receipt to some office every month?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    The Ender wrote:
    ...Err. Okay.

So, how does it distinguish between food and other stuff? Or is it up to the clerk at the grocery store to see what you've bought?

most major grocery stores have internal tabulation where it will say 'ok this much can be paid for by food stamps' and you swipe and then you're left a balance for the non-eligible items.

smaller places (with external machines for swiping) 'technically' still keep track, since they can get huge fines... but there are plenty of places in low income areas that will not differentiate, often gouging the user (ok you can use food stamps for cigarettes but it'll be $14 instead of $7).

of course, if those businesses which did this were caught, the fines are astronooooooooomical (like, potentially enough to shut down a local bodega)

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote:
    ...Err. Okay.

I'm guessing stores have to have the system in place to discern between items in order to take the card.

• Options
    and no you don't have to present records or whatever

as the end user there are remarkably few hoops i have to jump through in order to use my benefits, and the medical coverage is incredible (i've easily exceeded 50,000usd in medical treatment in the past six months, of which i'm liable for $8)

it's just, when you do need to update some paperwork or replace a lost card or do any basic, tedious thing at the office it is legitimately a fucking nightmare of long queues, an overworked system, rude workers, trashy peers, etc. just a demoralizing nightmare

This discussion has been closed.