As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SOPA will put JoeUser in Jail FOREVER

KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Social Entropy++
Sup SE++. There's a bill some of you have heard of going through hearings in the House Judiciary Committee called "The Stop Online Piracy Act". The hearing is to determine what mandates and provisions actually go into the bill. On the docket are:

1. It is a felony to upload any copyrighted material on the web without permission - punishable by 5 years in jail. Know that dumb video you and your friends posted up on Facebook when you all were drunk and sang a Journey song? That's copyright infringement. You could get 5 years in federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison for that.

2. Any website hosting copyrighted material can be taken down by the copyright holder if they send a letter to that site. No judiciary oversight, no due process, no burden of proof by the copyright holder. Did you do a sweet remix of Alice in Wonderland dialogue that you want to share with your friends over Youtube? Nice going, asshole, you just shut down Youtube for the entire US. And no one can do a thing about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAwR6w2TgxY

Needless to say, the following shit probably won't exist under SOPA.

YouTube-Videos.jpg

facebook-google1.jpg

twitter_newbird_boxed_whiteonblue.png

SOPA also does this:

sopa_infographic.jpg

Any website that has any copyrighted material uploaded or hosted will be shut down, regardless of who put it up. So, pretty much any website that anyone gives a shit about is done. Even our beloved Social Entropy++ could be a target, if someone uploads an avatar taken from a copyrighted photo. That person could also go to jail for 5 years - which means pretty much all of us are going to prison if SOPA is passed.

Personally, I don't like the idea of someone being Bubba's dance partner because he posted a cute animal picture. If SOPA passes, @JoeUser will have a rap sheet a mile long. And that's wrong.

You can still fight SOPA.

Go here. Fill out the form - it takes about 5 seconds, and could save JoeUser from death row.

mrsatansig.png
KrunkMcGrunk on

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Hasn't Obama promised to veto this

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I don't think this is going to pass, the last internet censor bill died ingloriously too.

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    If this does pass, let's all just upload as much copyrighted material as we can. It's going to be the best jailhouse rock party in history.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular

Almost entirely positive that his response to this was "If y'all pass it it's getting vetoed, fuck you"

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    I'm all for abrogating copyright law, but the infographics for self-censorship on sites and new startups being launched are unbelievably stupid.

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    SOPA is what Italian-Americans use to wash their hands and face, duh.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    What if I'm on the computer and my daughter is on my lap and she randomly hits keys on the keyboard which culminates in her uploading a bunch of copywritten photos

You're not gonna send a baby to prison, are you?

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Margarazzi wrote:
    If this does pass, let's all just upload as much copyrighted material as we can. It's going to be the best jailhouse rock party in history.

Yeah, what would happen considering probably 90% of internet users have uploaded copyrighted material?

Janson on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    Obama also promised to veto the citizen detention bill so

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:
    What if I'm on the computer and my daughter is on my lap and she randomly hits keys on the keyboard which culminates in her uploading a bunch of copywritten photos

Can't break up a family, better send all of you to prison.

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:

Babies get 30 lashes

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:

we didn't spend millions of taxpayer dollars on a prison for babies not to send babies to prison

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:

enjoy visiting her at baby oz

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular

Well, he also promised to veto the indefinite detention bill for month, which if I can be honest is a lot more threatening than an internet censorship bill, and then renegged on it a few days ago.

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm all for abrogating copyright law, but the infographics for self-censorship on sites and new startups being launched are unbelievably stupid.

Oh god, yes.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Baby's first thunderdome

• Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular

I don't think so. He "promised" to veto the NDAA for 2012, which passed Congress with new provisions in it to allow for the arrest and indefinite detaining of American citizens without trial or proof of guilt.

• Options

I don't think so. He "promised" to veto the NDAA for 2012, which passed Congress with new provisions in it to allow for the arrest and indefinite detaining of American citizens without trial or proof of guilt.

He

He hasn't signed this into law right

That hasn't happened

Please tell me that hasn't happened yet

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    FirmSkater wrote:

Well, he also promised to veto the indefinite detention bill for month, which if I can be honest is a lot more threatening than an internet censorship bill, and then renegged on it a few days ago.

Yeah but that passed with such overwhelming support that a veto would have been easily overthrown. I mean, going ahead and vetoing it anyway would have been a nice gesture, but that is all it would have been.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote:

That depends. Do you live in Texas?

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Ubik wrote:
    Obama also promised to veto the citizen detention bill so

Yeah. How'd that end up for us?

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Fuck this shit I'm moving to Mexico

At least in Mexico this shit is expected

Buttlord on
  • Options
    Buttlord wrote:

He

He hasn't signed this into law right

That hasn't happened

Please tell me that hasn't happened yet

It passed the Senate with only 7 votes against, and it passed the House with something like a 70% majority, and Obama has since backed off his veto stance, so yeah, it will probably wind up passing.

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular

exactly my thoughts

• Options
    Buttlord wrote:
    Fuck this shit I'm moving to Mexico

At least in Mexico this shit is expected

In Mexico, Sopa is a delicious meal!

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    y'know this kinda stuff is pretty scary

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    If there were ever any doubts about America becoming a fascist state wellllp

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

Look, the information may be impossible to verify, and was pulled entirely out of the creator of the infographic's ass, but does that make it any less valid?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    signed

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Fearghaill wrote:

Look, the information may be impossible to verify, and was pulled entirely out of the creator of the infographic's ass, but does that make it any less valid?

I think we can all agree that that infographic is horridly inaccurate. However, it's hard to argue that a dicey legal climate would encourage anyone to bet their livelihood on a web startup.

Regardless of all of that, SOPA is still abhorrent. Let us not forget.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the UK considered enacting a piece of legislation not entirely dissimilar to this quite some time ago, but it fizzled out. I do so hope the States don't let this kind of thinking persist, because the minds that come up with laws such as these are likely to keep coming back with similar proposals

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I signed that thing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote:
    FirmSkater wrote:

Yeah but that passed with such overwhelming support that a veto would have been easily overthrown. I mean, going ahead and vetoing it anyway would have been a nice gesture, but that is all it would have been.

I don't understand why that's a reason for him not to do it.

Why not make the gesture and stand up for what he believes in?

• Options
    They are broadcasting the SOPA debate/voting live on keepthewebfree.com/sopa

You should watch, they should be back from recess shortly

You should watch, that is, if you love being frustrated listening to our elected officials acting like douchebags (there are a few good eggs fighting to stop/amend the bill into something more reasonable, but they are losing badly)

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote:
    If there were ever any doubts about America becoming a fascist state wellllp

Typically in a fascist state, the state seizes private enterprise and not vice versa.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    All im saying is if anyone thinks this bill will shut down youtube and facebook, you are fucking retarded.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    They are broadcasting the SOPA debate/voting live on keepthewebfree.com/sopa

You should watch, they should be back from recess shortly

You should watch, that is, if you love being frustrated listening to our elected officials acting like douchebags (there are a few good eggs fighting to stop/amend the bill into something more reasonable, but they are losing badly)

Issa and Lofgren are my new personal heroes. Mel Watt is the biggest fucking dumbass - I don't have words that could accurate describe how horrid he is.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t89WwcsOj9U

the section from 12-20 seconds is really all you need to know on the subject

• Options
    Nogs wrote:
    All im saying is if anyone thinks this bill will shut down youtube and facebook, you are fucking retarded.

Why wouldn't it shut down Youtube and Facebook?

mrsatansig.png