Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

browser based alternatives to maptools or openrpg?

INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi!

I'm looking for a tool to use in running a live pen and paper rpg, and for ease of use, I want to use a browser-based tool (something that I can just link my players to) rather than a stand-alone program (like maptools or openrpg) that will be useful for keeping track of, primarily, a really rudimentary way to track character locations on a 2d space.

Toward that end, even something like a feature-barren online paint program that can be accessed and interacted with in real time by multiple people (at least 4) would be functional, but I haven't had any luck finding one that wasn't more work than it was worth.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

sometimes you just gotta do a thing

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Screenmonkey, but it's not free (I think there's a Lite version that is free, but you can't save/restore scenarios). You run a server, and people connect to it through their browser. It HATES large file sizes (it was a constant battle to keep the icons and maps to a minimum), but if you keep your icons small and your maps with low detail and highly compressed, it works okay.

Maptools is still better. The freedom to drag and drop any picture into the game as an icon and the built-in macro scripting/dice roller heavily outweigh the disadvantages of downloading a separate program. I've tried over a dozen virtual whiteboard program for my online PnP games over the past decade or so, and Maptools still remains the best.

EDIT: Gah! There are multiple Screenmonkey names out there. Use the NBOS one here:
    http://www.nbos.com/products/screenmonkey/screenmonkey.htm

And seriously consider using Maptools instead.

Hahnsoo1 on
    Steam ID: Hahnsoo, Steam Name currently: Hahnsopolis | PSN: Hahnsoo | Monster Hunter Tri: Hahnsoo, E8HJCA
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I'm looking at a less feature-intense alternative because all I need to keep track of is three characters and whether they are located in one of three zones. There'll never be a lot happening on screen at once -- three tokens and one backdrop. I'd just like a visual because those three tokens will move around often.

I'm going to give this Screenmonkey thing a look!

I would definitely stick with maptools if I wanted something more involved, though, where a full-fledged grid would be necessary.

Edit: This is going to be plenty for what I need. Thanks a ton!

INeedNoSalt on
    sometimes you just gotta do a thing