As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Introducing a new Kitten

puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have a 1 year, 4 month old kitty named Piplup. I recently got a new kitty which we named Zeus, and he is about 4 months. I am attempting to integrate them happily together so they can one day be best friends.

Currently I have Zeus confined to the laundry room in the basement. The basement is off limits to Piplup but she can still access the rest of the house. I introduce Zeus to Piplup everyday by either holding Zeus or keeping him in his carrier. I let Piplup do her thing. Her body language shows she is very curious (her ears are not pinned back or any of that) but she will growl everyone once in a while or hiss is Zeus or myself make a quick movement.

I put him on my kitchen floor yesterday to let him wonder around while I fed Piplup treats. She watched him closely while she ate her treats but then quickly got into "stalk" position. So I picked him up. Another piece of information, Zeus could care less about her. He never seem intimidated and he definitely isn't offended by her.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for integrating cats that are 1 year apart?

FrankForum-1.jpg
puffycow on

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Pics or it's not a kitten thread.

If Piplup isn't going into an aggressive pose I'm not sure I'd be too worried about light hissing or stalking. Cats are playful and like chasing and fighting, but there's a dramatic difference between that and there territorial/aggressive behavior. As long as Zeus is big enough that you aren't worried about Piplup accidentally hurting him, I would give them a few minutes with each other and just see how it develops. Be available and prepared to separate them, of course.

Also, Piplup is an adorable name.

• Options
    Oh, I am definitely getting pictures. Just my work blocks my upload sites like a bunch of damn Nazis. When I get home, there shall be pics.

I will try letting them meet tonight. I would be surprised if there was no swatting.

FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    Aurora BorealisAurora Borealis runs and runs and runs away BrooklynRegistered User regular
    Let them swat a bit. As long as neither one is showing signs of extreme distress, a little hiss and smack is perfectly fine. They'll have it out to establish dominance and will probably get along like gangbusters after.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    This was the same situation as when I introduced my kitten to my cat. The kitten was not bothered at all, and the cat was mildly offended by the presence of the kitten. I kept the kitten separated from the cat when I wasn't around or sleeping for about two days. I let them be around each other when I was there to supervise. Within a week they were cuddling with each other.

Let them interact more. The cat may box the kitten once or twice but probably won't hurt it. Play with them at the same time (I used one of those scratching posts with a ball in the centre that rolls around) and just make sure to give the older cat some extra attention.

• Options
    Thanks a lot! I have noticed that Piplup has felt a little more "mopy" so I've tried to cuddle her extra. It's harder, though, because she was never a cuddler to begin with.

Piplup
    386211_841655763207_26600316_38599198_259972642_n.jpg

Zeus
    395250_850275045097_26600316_38632958_505043129_n.jpg

FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    honeslty if they don't try and kill each other right away, i would just let em have at it. just keep a spray bottle handle and be ready to step in if they are getting too heated

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    It sounds like you are doing pretty well already. You should let them fight though as they are both pretty young and would probably love to play fight with each other. The older one will eventually either show the younger one whos boss or they will want nothing to do with each other.

• Options
    I think I am hesitant because the older one can be pretty mean. Her mom bolted when she was really young (4 weeksish) so she never really learned manners. She still bites me a bit so I don't want her to kill the kitten. I may just be over cautious. I'll get a water bottle and towel ready to ref their meeting tonight.

Thanks again!

FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    considering she didn't hiss and poof up at first meeting you are probably fine. that is usually the best litmus test. if that goes badly then you need to work at keeping them separate, but since your original seemed curious its a good sign. they will need to establish a bit of a pecking order. also expect loud playing. sometimes our guys scream bloody murder when they wrestle but its not in a mean way.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Awesome. This will be interesting. I'll check back in a little bit. The first touches are about to happen.

EDIT:

So right now they are coexisting in my living room. Zeus just wants to play. Piplup is hissing and growling randomly, possibly even a little startled by him. Any suggestions on where to go from here? Do I just leave them to work things out for now?

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    We require more pics or videos.
    They are adorable.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    I am planning to get two kittens in January

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Let me know if these links don't work.

http://db.tt/FqMx8umk
    http://db.tt/LsL1ifrv

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    puffycow wrote:

OMG it's so Cute!!!

It's looking at the presents with a bewildered look and goes WTF is this?!? lol!

714353-1.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    puffycow wrote:
    So right now they are coexisting in my living room. Zeus just wants to play. Piplup is hissing and growling randomly, possibly even a little startled by him. Any suggestions on where to go from here? Do I just leave them to work things out for now?

This is pretty normal. This is the equivalent of a young teenager and an adolescent. The adolescent wants to do stuff with the big kitty, the big kitty wants to be left alone because the child doesn't understand.

They should be fine, though they may still fight a bit from time to time.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Yeah, Piplup is kinda annoyed because Zeus keeps pouncing her. She hisses and does a fake swat wheb he gets too close. She is pissy but it wasn't nearly as bad as expected.

I put Zeus back in his room so now I can give Piplup love without her trying to eat my hand.

FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    So after two days Piplup still hisses and growls at Zeus. Sometimes he will chase her and she acts annoyed and other times she will catch up to him and hiss/growl and fake swat.

Is it safe to say that this will eventually go away? Should I keep letting them interact like this everyday or should I keep him away from her for a few days?

FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    Keep at it. If Piplup is really upset it will be you who suffers for it, not Zeus, because she will pee on your bed.

• Options
    DrAlleconDrAllecon Registered User regular
    puffycow wrote:

First of all, that one of Piplup made me actually chuckle out loud. I could just picture a thought balloon saying, "OK, which one of these are mine? Wait, I'm a cat, they're ALL mine!"

I would recommend you let them keep interacting daily. Separating them again for a few days could wind up resetting the whole process, and it sounds like they're getting along pretty well. The hissing and growling is normal, and Zeus will continue to try and push boundaries until Piplup says, "Nope, you crossed a line here" with a swat or two.
    As they aren't hurting each other, let them keep doing what they're doing while you keep a spray bottle handy just in case.

My dear friend had several cats and would introduce new ones sporadically. He told me he made a big mistake early on and kept breaking up their fights and separating them (mild fights, not violent ones) and as a result, dominance/pecking order was never established, so they never really got along, living in different parts of the house.

Good luck, they're both adorable.

• Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    It could take a couple months before they get comfortable around each other. Just give it time.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    puffycow wrote:

I can't stop giggling.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Janson wrote:
    puffycow wrote:

I can't stop giggling.

YOU GOT ME BOXES!

• Options
    She will be in heaven once all thr boxes are open.

I just wanted to let you know that they seem to be playing now! They take turns chasing each other. Piplup still gets annoyed sometimes but it already better than it ws a few days ago.

Thanks, all!

FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    And many d'awwws were had.