As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Please don't go. [chat] needs you. They look up to you.

FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARDinterior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
As distances vanish and the people can flow freely from place to place, society will cross a psychological specific heat boundary and enter a new state. No longer a solid or liquid, we have become as a vapor and will expand to fill all available space. And like a gas, we shall not be easily contained.

-- Sister Miriam Godwinson, "But for the Grace of God"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=035cpHEowS4

What boundaries will you transgress?
What do I care for your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

-- Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Essays on Mind and Matter"

Will you succumb to the Mind Worms?
As the writhing, teeming mass of mindworms swarmed over the outer perimeter, we saw the defenders recoil in horror. "Stay calm! Use your flame guns!" shouted the commander, but to no avail. It is well know that the Mind Worm Boil uses psychic terror to paralyze its prey, and then carefully implants ravenous larvae into the brains of its still-conscious victims. Even with the best weapons, only the most disciplined troops can resist this horrific attack.

-- Lady Deidre Skye, "Our Secret War"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lva8L-J8x04
"Mary had a little lamb,
Little lamb, little lamb,
Mary had a little lamb,
whose fleece was white as snow."
-- Assassins' Redoubt, Final Transmission

Or ascend to transcendence?
I shall not confront Planet as an enemy, but shall accept its mysteries as gifts to be cherished. Nor shall I crudely seek to peel the layers away like the skin from an onion. Instead I shall gather them together as the tree gathers the breeze. The wind shall blow and I shall bend. The sky shall open and I shall drink my fill.

-- Gaian Acolytes Prayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evs0nFCufNM
"No longer mere earthbeings and planetbeings are we, but bright children of the stars! And together we shall dance in and out of ten billion years, celebrating the gift of consciousness until the stars themselves grow cold and weary, and our thoughts turn again to the beginning."
-- Lady Deirdre Skye, "Conversations with Planet"

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
Feral on

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    BEST CHAT TITLE EVER

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Alpha Centauri was the only Civ game I ever really got into.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Hmm I might go to Aaron's and get boned

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Podly's picture makes Tom Cruise look as short as he really is.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    @desc: yeah she was a rep from patron. She came in and was upset I didn't have any patron bottles. I told her "oh I do ... it's just not with the other tequila bottles ... it's hidden behind all the liqueurs. She was all "patron is as good if not better than all those other bottles!" I just laughed and said patron is worse than my house tequila and I would never put it against my other tequilas and mezcals. It was pretty great.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    In the context of the game, the Assassin's Redoubt's Final Transmission, and Lady Diedre Skye's final chapter in Conversations With Planet, are two of the creepiest things I've ever experienced in a game. They both still give me chills.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Podly's picture makes Tom Cruise look as short as he really is.

He was indeed a short, short, tiny man.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    For a game that doesn't really have a plot, Alpha Centauri really had some of the best writing ever in a video game.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    oh wow kana your sig quote

does the context make it any less audacious?

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote:
    For a game that doesn't really have a plot, Alpha Centauri really had some of the best writing ever in a video game.

The plot is there but it's not really forced upon you; it's up to the player to discover it and piece it together, and you may miss the plot completely.

But if you play through the game enough times, read every quote, and watch every video, there's a pretty clear storyline that emerges, and it's a good one.

enhanced-buzz-wide-28585-1324400992-146.jpg

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    podly

did they tip well

I am going to be hosting three Christmas parties and attending three more in the next two weeks. Jesus.

Organichu wrote:
    podly

did they tip well

handsomely

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Kana wrote:
    Alpha Centauri best ever.

edited December 2011
    Pods how much would dinner with drinks and dessert run, per person, where you work

I'm curious.

Or is it even a restaurant as well as a bar

Evil Multifarious on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    In the Great Commons at Gaia's Landing, they have a tall and particularly beautiful stand of white pine, planted at the time of the first colonies. It represents our promise to the people, and to Planet itself, never to repeat the tragedies of Earth.

It's kind of ridiculous how many random quotes I still remember from that great game.

WotanAnubis on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Podly wrote:
    She was all "patron is as good if not better than all those other bottles!"

I'm not even hating, I mean, sales is tough.
    But: hahahaha

desc on
    someone pick a day for the 2nd toronto dinner go go go

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    swellsday

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular

Saint Crispin's Day!

oh my god why am i so nervos about secret santa

last time i did it i was like oh i'm sure it'll be fine

this time around though i know the person p well and i'm like OH GOD WHAT IF THEY'RE DISSATISFIED

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    BEST CHAT TITLE EVER

Agreed

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwqN3Ur-wP0

The great part of AC was how many of the technologies, especially later on, really didn't actually seem like great things. Which was brilliant, since so much of history is the development of things which really aren't that swell at all, or that have huge human costs.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    My brother is saying monopoly is a good game because it has a strong theme.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:

this time around though i know the person p well and i'm like OH GOD WHAT IF THEY'RE DISSATISFIED

Then curse them and salt the earth. Someone unhappy with a secret Santa gift is a jerk.

nibXTE7.png
    Organichu wrote:

Then curse them and salt the earth. Someone unhappy with a secret Santa gift is a jerk.

i know they'll be nice and stuff

but i fear that inside they'll be like 'what a doofus :4'

Organichu wrote:

Chu, the worst thing that could happen is only that you ruin Christmas forever

Relax

Pods how much would dinner with drinks and dessert run, per person, where you work

I'm curious.

Or is it even a restaurant as well as a bar

Three cocktails = $36
    First course = $10-15
    Second course =$20-35
    Desert = $10-15

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    desc wrote:
    Podly wrote:
    She was all "patron is as good if not better than all those other bottles!"

I'm not even hating, I mean, sales is tough.
    But: hahahaha

Yep. Especially because we have 7 leguas, which is what patron used to buy when they were starting up, but moved on because 7 leaguas wouldn't up their production numbers. And 7 leguas is AWESOME.

Also I don't think she's hurting for numbers.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Michael Moore is a fairly nice person.

Kinda feel bad for him, getting stopped by EVERYONE on the street because he is who he is. But he is super friendly with the people... Far better than I would be in that situation.
    I am gonna try and become his IT provider

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    i have never lost a game of monopoly in my life. granted i always play with my family and they're stupid... but the weighting of the game towards dice rolls hasn't stopped me from never, ever losing. i just talk them out of buying anything i'll want.

'eh, i' already have two of those. you can get it if you want i guess but you'll never get a monopoly of that, rent's only 7 bucks. seems like a waste of money to me *shrug*'

my family is terribly stupid and thanks me for saving them from themselves

then i snatch it up

then i watch them sob

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    ooo they threw in the games from humble bundle 3 as well!

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote:

Im so depressed about secret santa.

I got an awesome thoughtful gift.

I sent something with 3 clicks on amazon because it was awesome, in the price range, and on the santee's wishlist.

I am the Britta of Secret Santas

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Not Thursday! So how about Friday?

A package just arrived and I was like MAYBE IT'S MY SECRET SANTA

newp

Organichu wrote:
    i have never lost a game of monopoly in my life. granted i always play with my family and they're stupid... but the weighting of the game towards dice rolls hasn't stopped me from never, ever losing. i just talk them out of buying anything i'll want.

'eh, i' already have two of those. you can get it if you want i guess but you'll never get a monopoly of that, rent's only 7 bucks. seems like a waste of money to me *shrug*'

my family is terribly stupid and thanks me for saving them from themselves

then i snatch it up

then i watch them sob

Doesn't your teenage cousin not understand addition/subtraction?

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
This discussion has been closed.