As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Sororitas wish they were packing Wych 'weapons'. (They're probably fake)

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Just finished Rynn's World, now I want a Crimson Fists army. Gonna read Helsreach to put things back to the way they were.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    img_0050.jpg

Tournament write-up is here
    Lots more pics here

Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Still not many photos filtering out from ARC yet. I've found one of my dudes, securing an important Objective.
    Arc40k27%20(600%20x%20450).jpg

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    Link to stupid sexy necrons.

They are stupidly sexy

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    He is an overly wonderfully talented douchebag gentleman and he all hate love him.

• Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    Oh balls Alpharius, are those yours?

• Options
    Dayspring wrote:
    OtakuD00D wrote:

They are stupidly sexy

They look REAL!

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Man you guys paint like...

Artists.

I paint like a 7 year old with downs.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    saluksic wrote:
    Dayspring wrote:
    OtakuD00D wrote:

They are stupidly sexy

They look REAL!

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Man you guys paint like...

Artists.

I paint like a 7 year old with downs.

This. I tried the sponge stippling once. Once.

It just looked like I globbed a whole bunch of paint on. And I had tried to get as much paint out of the sponge as possible.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I figured out yesterday that I seriously need to thin down paints when I use them. Layers are more even, more blended, and easier to apply in the right places when the paint is the proper consistency.

I've heard that all before, but these lessions can be hard to learn when it's basically down to trial and error. Still, it encouraging to see other people's success and hear how they got there.

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    I like how the 25th anniversary of 40k was celebrated by an end-of-the-day blog note.

Gratz?

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    End of the day blog note? Where?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Exactly, valhalla

Also the NMM on those sanguinary guard is pretty dang great

Also also Asher why does your buddy prefer void blades on the praetorians

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    It is looking more and more to me that 2012 is the year of Lord of the Rings. Do people seriously play that? I've never seen a thread for it, read anyone really discussing it, or heard anything except GW touting it and their sales figures apparently showing it does okay.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    altmann wrote:
    I like how the 25th anniversary of 40k was celebrated by an end-of-the-day blog note.

Gratz?

Did you pick up WD yet this month bro?
    It is looking more and more to me that 2012 is the year of Lord of the Rings. Do people seriously play that? I've never seen a thread for it, read anyone really discussing it, or heard anything except GW touting it and their sales figures apparently showing it does okay.
    It'll be the year of 40k for sure. This is just one month out of 12.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Watching Lord of the Rings I have never thought "Man, this would make an awesome wargame!". So other than admittedly cool minis, it has no appeal to me.

I was talking with a friend last week and we decided that GW should drop LotR and replace it with the Game of Thrones license.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

I've wondered this as well. I've never seen it played in a store either. I'd put a whole paycheck on their LOTR humping being due in large part to the licensing agreement.

Possibly they're ramping up interest for the Hobbit?

It's kind of like Lego I guess where all they care about is the licensed properties. I miss the days of generic 'Castle' & 'Space' Lego.

Honestly if having the LOTR license helps them keep their shitty business model afloat so they can keep making plastic mans for me to play with then whatever.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Tomanta wrote:
    I was talking with a friend last week and we decided that GW should drop LotR and replace it with the Game of Thrones license.

I doubt they can just drop the LotR license on a lark

Also Dark Sword Miniatures has the rights to produce GoT minis, so that's out

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Both of the LotR GW tabletop games are badass. So much better from a rules perspective than 40k. It was huge in my old store for awhile, but I only had time and money enough for one hobby game, and I was already balls deep into 40k.

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Nax wrote:
    Both of the LotR GW tabletop games are badass. So much better from a rules perspective than 40k. It was huge in my old store for awhile, but I only had time and money enough for one hobby game, and I was already balls deep into 40k.

I don't know what the game's like now, but when the original Fellowship box came out I went half in on it with a friend. I recall really liking it. Plus the models are fantastic.

But now no one is interested.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:

I doubt they can just drop the LotR license on a lark

Also Dark Sword Miniatures has the rights to produce GoT minis, so that's out

They can't, and I'm aware that DS has the GoT mini license (and doing a great job at it!).

I just got sad because Friday I went "I want to paint a GoT-themed Fantasy army!" shortly followed by "... but the existing armies don't work." I may do a counts-as army some day based on Night's Watch or one of the great houses once I finish all my current projects (read: never).

Hmm... or I just now thought that maybe I could do something with Space Wolves.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    If they come out with a hobbit game I will play the butts out of that. I will also make believe it is Mordheim from time to time.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    lol butts

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    If I had a ton of expendable cash, I'd get into Lord of the Rings. but then I'd also buy a Vampire Counts army so I could use that awesome Lich King figure that just came out. And I'd buy one of every 40K army I'm still missing. And probably pay someone to paint most of them for me.

I chose 40k, and it's about all I can do. Heck, tomorrow, I buy a venomthrope, another carnifex and a box of genestealers. And maybe some more. I haven't made up my mind yet. And I still need more for the nids.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    If I had a ton of expendable cash, I'd get into Lord of the Rings. but then I'd also buy a Vampire Counts army so I could use that awesome Lich King figure that just came out. And I'd buy one of every 40K army I'm still missing. And probably pay someone to paint most of them for me.

I chose 40k, and it's about all I can do. Heck, tomorrow, I buy a venomthrope, another carnifex and a box of genestealers. And maybe some more. I haven't made up my mind yet. And I still need more for the nids.

This is me. I only want one time/money investment, but the other ones look so cool too.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Sorry, he's the "Wight King." I'd love to do an undead army of skeletons with this guy.

m2130113a_99070207004_WightKingCFC02_873x627.jpg

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    War of the Ring may actually be the best game they've ever done to be honest. It's a very fast resolution system for fighting with a large army - it uses a block unit like fantasy, but essentially the block has a statline and the individual mans serve as its life counters and current number of attacks. So it plays hella fast, but without resorting to using morale breaks to speed up the game. And the heroes have neat rules for boosting the usefulness of normal units, so it gives that whole "We're losing...but...Gandalf is here on his eagle...we can keep going...hope is not lost" feel from the movies (or, you know, the "oh shit we're boned that's Sauron" feel ... if you're into that)

It's a very pleasing mix of speed and detail, where heroes serve vital roles but are well balanced. And the models are pretty cool, especially some of the extended ones from the history of LOTR - like my buddy has a huge easterling army (the dudes on the olyphants) and I'm working on a Dol Guldur army (from 300 years or so before the timeline of LOTR from the last time Sauron tried to rise). You can also do the historical armies of Sauron and the High Elves from the flash backs in the movie, the Riders of Rohan (and this line actually has OK horses) etc.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Nax wrote:
    lol butts

Law can't resist the lure of hobbutts.

• Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    This is such a weird dreadnought

MFS8j.jpg

Great painting but that face

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    That face is seriously terrible and out of place

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I've seen people loot the faces from the tomb king sphinxes before to spiff up dreadnoughts... just doesn't work for me. And the above one, yeah, totally ugg.

• Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Dayspring wrote:
    OtakuD00D wrote:

They are stupidly sexy

Asher, you look NOTHING like I thought you would.

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Salvation's Reach:
    Just read through the naval battle as they leave the warp. Good stuff, but my favorite part was post-battle in the infirmary. Criid finding out about Meryn's cowardice and jumping him. And then Kolea pulling her off, just to get her out of the way (Meryn realizing too late what that means). And then Daur throwing one punch for Elodie.
    All the scummy Tanith are my least favorite, I feel like they all seem so fiercely loyal and honorable to one another that those that pull this kind of stuff don't work for me. Which is why it is so good to read that stuff.

And those Necrons are so fething amazing. I am jelly. It makes me wish I still had all my painting stuff (and wish that warhams weren't so bloody expensive).
    His stuff really gives necrons some character and makes them seem more interesting than just silver robots that get back up.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Nax wrote:
    lol butts

Law can't resist the lure of hobbutts.

HEY-O!

I bugs me when a model is beautifully painted but poorly posed, or has a big silly face.

Also, SJ is a poet!

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    War of the Ring may actually be the best game they've ever done to be honest. It's a very fast resolution system for fighting with a large army - it uses a block unit like fantasy, but essentially the block has a statline and the individual mans serve as its life counters and current number of attacks. So it plays hella fast, but without resorting to using morale breaks to speed up the game. And the heroes have neat rules for boosting the usefulness of normal units, so it gives that whole "We're losing...but...Gandalf is here on his eagle...we can keep going...hope is not lost" feel from the movies (or, you know, the "oh shit we're boned that's Sauron" feel ... if you're into that)

It's a very pleasing mix of speed and detail, where heroes serve vital roles but are well balanced. And the models are pretty cool, especially some of the extended ones from the history of LOTR - like my buddy has a huge easterling army (the dudes on the olyphants) and I'm working on a Dol Guldur army (from 300 years or so before the timeline of LOTR from the last time Sauron tried to rise). You can also do the historical armies of Sauron and the High Elves from the flash backs in the movie, the Riders of Rohan (and this line actually has OK horses) etc.

We used to have a WotR thread before the change. Maybe it could be resurrected?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Exactly, valhalla

Also the NMM on those sanguinary guard is pretty dang great

Also also Asher why does your buddy prefer void blades on the praetorians

No idea! All I know is that he ripped off the rods of Covenant in a fit of rage after playing me. The Preatorians total impact on that game was begin a speed bump for my Scorpions.
    ElderCat wrote:
    Dayspring wrote:
    OtakuD00D wrote:

They are stupidly sexy

Asher, you look NOTHING like I thought you would.

Ahahahaha!

Out of curiosity, what did you expect me to look like?

For ref:
    asherandme.jpg
    I'm the non-moustachioed one in the white GoT shirt.

• Options
    But won't they still be speed bumps since they don't get power weapon attacks with void blades?

Really that unit is in a bad place no matter what you do

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    That necron army is inspiring my Dark Eldar actually... I'm starting to paint them soon and I still haven't finalized a scheme.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I just painted my Lady Malys(Using the Isabella von Carstein model.) Just did a quick head swap rather than any in depth conversion, I originally planned to swap the goblet of blood out for something else but Isabella's arms and fingers are far to skinny to easily swap with Wych ones so I left it on. If the Blood Angels can run around battlefields with cups I don't see why the DE can't.

It's probably full of drugs or something.

Pretty pleased with her regardless (although that is, I suspect, more due to the quality of the sculpt than my painting, it's a really pretty model) I'll throw some pics up wednesday-ish if I remember.

This discussion has been closed.