As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Sororitas wish they were packing Wych 'weapons'. (They're probably fake)

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    mugginns wrote:
    Brings the same min / maxed list to every single game

Only one I disagree with. Lists shouldn't be considered when judging players.

TFGs generally will;
    Try to cheat (Openly or otherwise)
    Will rules lawyer the fuck out of you, but are very 'liberal' with their interpretations in regards to themselves
    Bring entirely new armies based off netlists, then sell them after 1-2 loses to buy another army based off a netlist.
    Show no respect for other players
    Get frustrated/angry when losing and look for loop holes/easter eggs to get back into the game.
    Rarely plays flexible units, generally only plays powerful units (Measuring units only by their ability to deal damage)

So on and so forth.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I will judge players any damn way I please

/puts on top hat

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    mugginns wrote:
    I will judge players any damn way I please

/puts on top hat

Oh Reginald!

I disagree!

/Drives off

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    My experience with TFG is the above as well as

Uses a simple small 25mm based nid model for doom of malantai because it's "an infantry model"
    doesn't know his own rules for his army so plays them incorrectly and cheats. (this is the hardest one to catch, because it requires you to know their army better than they do).
    Moves units around the board haphazardly because "eh, it's 6 inches". No fucker, MEASURE THAT SHIT. (we're talking where a charge may or may not happen by 1/2 an inch)

Oh well. Just don't play them if you have the choice.

Also, in regards to the forum duders who live in florida, how would you guys feel about a get-together in mid-late january? Maybe the dude from south of st pete and the guy from orlando-ish can come (i forget who is who!) and I promise I won't take 3 vendettas. (I'll take 3 superheavies).

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    I actually don't get super upset by cheating, really, because I just assume most people aren't cheating, they're just misremembering their rules, or misinterpreting. I'm a neckbeard optimist.

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Guy who makes custom bike bases to give himself extra movement. Hate that guy.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    mugginns wrote:
    I actually don't get super upset by cheating, really, because I just assume most people aren't cheating, they're just misremembering their rules, or misinterpreting. I'm a neckbeard optimist.

There's a difference between misremembering their rules and consistently doing something you were instructed how to do in such a manner as to avoid penalty and gain advantage.

Example:

TWC go to charge a 20 man Genestealer unit.
    Initial model will move closest to closest through open terrain.
    Second model can move into B2B with a model, but most go through terrain to do it. Player opts instead to move full distance to a point within coherency but not within B2B of an unengaged model.
    Player is informed he must attempt to get into B2B if possible, and this will results in traversing terrain, resulting in a difficult terrain test.

This occurs several more times throughout the game.

This occurs numerous times throughout an escalation league.

This occurs any time the offending player must assault, but is never forgotten when being assault by a certain Tyranid player who doesn't have grenades.

Being often reminded that I must go through terrain when I already rolled for terrain is especially annoying when the person telling me often goes out of his way to avoid going through terrain in a situation where no amount of clever movement can prevent it, then acting as if he forgot the rule.

THAT is TFG.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    altmann wrote:
    Moves units around the board haphazardly because "eh, it's 6 inches". No fucker, MEASURE THAT SHIT. (we're talking where a charge may or may not happen by 1/2 an inch)

Everyone I knows does this. If you've got units above 10 models, it starts becoming a pain in the ass measuring all of them. Move the first model 6", then just guesstimate the rest, never passing the first model.

The funniest was a guy who used 30 strong units of gaunts. His method of movement was measure 6" from the front model, move the back half of the unit up to there.

One of them will take advantage of the leniency though. He'll move the measure tape forward as he moves the first guy, move front of base to back of base to get an extra inch, use a measure tape to see the 'line' from a scatter dice and rotate it to his benefit as he moves it over the unit, move models when he's 'checking' what is under a template, etc.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    mugginns wrote:

There's a difference between misremembering their rules and consistently doing something you were instructed how to do in such a manner as to avoid penalty and gain advantage.

Example:

TWC go to charge a 20 man Genestealer unit.
    Initial model will move closest to closest through open terrain.
    Second model can move into B2B with a model, but most go through terrain to do it. Player opts instead to move full distance to a point within coherency but not within B2B of an unengaged model.
    Player is informed he must attempt to get into B2B if possible, and this will results in traversing terrain, resulting in a difficult terrain test.

This occurs several more times throughout the game.

This occurs numerous times throughout an escalation league.

This occurs any time the offending player must assault, but is never forgotten when being assault by a certain Tyranid player who doesn't have grenades.

Being often reminded that I must go through terrain when I already rolled for terrain is especially annoying when the person telling me often goes out of his way to avoid going through terrain in a situation where no amount of clever movement can prevent it, then acting as if he forgot the rule.

THAT is TFG.

why is he doing that

why doesn't he want to get into b2b and slay

fuck him space wolves card pulled

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I suppose I should feel lucky about the group of guys that I started playing with (particularly because they're my first exposure to 40k). We all have kind of an understanding that we always look up rules if there's a question, always interpret or judge gray areas in the least self-serving way possible, and once a judgement is made, apply it consistently for the rest of the game. There's also some other unspoken stuff that I think just comes out of wanting to be (and stay) friends, which is that we always congratulate each other on our wins, don't get pissy when we're losing, get excited about seeing really good units on the field, and just generally try to live by the Don't Be A Dick special rule.

I mean obviously there's a vast difference between playing with your friends and playing with people at a store or something, but I think if my first game had been my loaner Tau army against TFG with a whatever-spam list of acronyms that I still don't fully understand, I might not have loved it so much and gotten hooked so easily.

We do have one G who's a little bit TF, but we try to just tolerate him when he's around and wait for him to go back to college. His problem is mostly with complaining about how "broken" things are and about how crappy his army is and how he never wins. Meanwhile the rest of us know that we're not that good and lose most of the time but who cares it's a fun game and losing=learning.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    mugginns wrote:
    That f'ing guy
    Assumes he'll win every game

I assume I'll win every game. I don't, and I'm fully aware that I wont but I assume it. Because I play Templar's, and they win every game.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    altmann wrote:
    Also, in regards to the forum duders who live in florida, how would you guys feel about a get-together in mid-late january? Maybe the dude from south of st pete and the guy from orlando-ish can come (i forget who is who!) and I promise I won't take 3 vendettas. (I'll take 3 superheavies).

I'm the Orlando-ish one. Meeting up would be cool. My schedule sucks though. I can really only do Sundays unless I take time off. Which come to think of it, I'm already doing on Jan 14th for the Highland Games (yay beer and bagpipes).
    Also I still have a tiny army. Until I get the Christmas tanks put together I only have 1000 points.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    SteelJabberwockySteelJabberwocky Registered User regular
    I run two Vendettas in every list because just seeing the model is what made me want to play IG before I even read the codex. Reminds me of my beloved Galaxy dropship from Planetside.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    They are pretty badass lookin gunships. I like running two as well, keep em way in the backfield.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Hey guys, been awhile since I've posted here, but I'm just now getting back into the hobby now that I have job (whoo!) Been agonizing over my Slaanesh CSM army for weeks. I have a Lord with jump pack in a Raptor squad, outflanking Chosen (they have yet to let me down in proxy games) and 3 squads of sacred-number Noise Marines. My agony stems from deciding on more Raptors, throwing in a couple of defilers or switching everything with a jump pack to bikes. Suggestions?

• Options
    why is he doing that

Because if he rolls poorly his assault fails and he doesn't get to fight at all.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Something for @altmann

omega4.jpg

Also, heresy era (ie second ed) Predator.

preddeimos4.jpg

-Loki- on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    why is he doing that

Because if he rolls poorly his assault fails and he doesn't get to fight at all.

He should be trying to assault as hard as possible. That means you ride right through shit in your way. On your wolf. that you ride. (that gets to double its movement roll)

• Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Ken O wrote:
    altmann wrote:

I'm the Orlando-ish one. Meeting up would be cool. My schedule sucks though. I can really only do Sundays unless I take time off. Which come to think of it, I'm already doing on Jan 14th for the Highland Games (yay beer and bagpipes).
    Also I still have a tiny army. Until I get the Christmas tanks put together I only have 1000 points.

I'd be down for a late January meetup. I will be all over the fucking country during mid January, so the later in the month, the better.

Spherick on
  • Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    mugginns wrote:

edit: also I love how in 40k big guns are just bigger versions of small guns, lol.

This is the best. There are some forge world Hammerhead variants that are pretty face-palm.

I like imagining an Abram or a battleship with a huge M16 on the top.

• Options
    He should be trying to assault as hard as possible. That means you ride right through shit in your way. On your wolf. that you ride. (that gets to double its movement roll)

It's not that he wasn't trying, it's that he didn't want to take the risk of failing a 10" charge.

• Options
    Ugh. I hate explaining assault rules for that reason. The worst is when you're 90% sure that your opponent doesn't know a rule thats going to apply to him in about 30 seconds and dreading the whole explanation that even though his first model can get in fine you can't choose to go around terrain yadda yadda and then I just feel like a jerk while he fails his terrain test and then gets wiped out.

I don't even use thunderwolves anymore outside of tourneys. They're fun to use but I inevitably feel like a jerk against the newer people at the store so I just keep them in their box tucked in the corner of my closet. Poor thunderwolves.

signature.png
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    altmann wrote:
    Ugh. I hate explaining assault rules for that reason. The worst is when you're 90% sure that your opponent doesn't know a rule thats going to apply to him in about 30 seconds and dreading the whole explanation that even though his first model can get in fine you can't choose to go around terrain yadda yadda and then I just feel like a jerk while he fails his terrain test and then gets wiped out.

Yeah I've had to explain that a dozen times. They need to fix that for 6th edition.

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Is there ever a reason to take a Captain as you HQ in a BA army? I mean, he does have a 4++, but no power weapon by default like a libby. Its only 18 points to give him a power sword and a storm bolter, so he has 5 PW attacks on the charge, but he is only S4 by default.

Maybe give him a power sword, storm shield and a bike and have him charge around? But for that price (165 not counting melta bombs - so 170), you may as well splurge a bit more and get the master rapist himself, Mephy. Thoughts? I'm just tired of a libby. Maybe a reclusiarch leading a 10 man ASM squad from the LR Redeemer?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Spherick wrote:
    Is there ever a reason to take a Captain as you HQ in a BA army? I mean, he does have a 4++, but no power weapon by default like a libby. Its only 18 points to give him a power sword and a storm bolter, so he has 5 PW attacks on the charge, but he is only S4 by default.

Maybe give him a power sword, storm shield and a bike and have him charge around? But for that price (165 not counting melta bombs - so 170), you may as well splurge a bit more and get the master rapist himself, Mephy. Thoughts? I'm just tired of a libby. Maybe a reclusiarch leading a 10 man ASM squad from the LR Redeemer?

Storm bolters don't give a bonus attack. Only pistols and 2xCCW.

And no. He's pretty useless.

Take a named character or a librarian, or even a reclusiarahcarhachah.
    altmann wrote:

If they're new I'll explain all their options and the risks to them. I'll then give them my opinion and what I would do and compare it to the other options they have.

TraceofToxin on
  • Options
    Loki, I did see that thing and I'm growing to like it more and more. In fact, the entire concept that there's basically a gun strapped to a tank is awesome. I don't even care that it's open-topped. I want one. I wonder what the rules are for it and the upgrades, if you can make it non-open-topped. Is the plasma blast thingy like, 7" or 12" or 2 shots or what...

My apoc friends are gonna hate me. Sorry though, at least I actually have the models and they're painted!

signature.png
  • Options
    Hmmm, how about a Reclusiarch with an honor guard (1 Blood Champ, 1 with dual LC, 1 with power weapon and one with a PFist) in a LR Redeemer, that would be alot of power weapon attacks with FNP and furious charge, along with rerolling all to-hits on the charge and the ability to soak some power weapon hits in return with the 4++ of the reclusiarch and the combat shield. Maybe give the PFist a storm shield? Only costs 575 points and it will pretty much annilihate most things. Which may be too killy. Hmmm.

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    Alt, no option to make it not open topped. It has a plasma blast gun, its the standard titan plasma weapon so the stats are the same. One mode is like a large blast version of the plasma russes gun. The other is one big blast at higher strengh, but it can overheat and take a glance hit.

And BA HQs, Its libby, reclesiarch, or named character are your only real options.

• Options
    I hate to say it but mephiston is the best HQ in that book IMO. I love him. He's like this miniature dude running around in a stormraven, or hanging off the back of a rhino then BAM, he's in your face killing your entire tac squads, or force weaponing all ur thunderwolves.

He scares me so much.

OK thanks Ogotai, I'll consider it. I need to get some more apoc games in if I'm gonna make it worth it. I need like 4 a year to justify all my purchases...

signature.png
  • Options
    Spherick wrote:
    Hmmm, how about a Reclusiarch with an honor guard (1 Blood Champ, 1 with dual LC, 1 with power weapon and one with a PFist) in a LR Redeemer, that would be alot of power weapon attacks with FNP and furious charge, along with rerolling all to-hits on the charge and the ability to soak some power weapon hits in return with the 4++ of the reclusiarch and the combat shield. Maybe give the PFist a storm shield? Only costs 575 points and it will pretty much annilihate most things. Which may be too killy. Hmmm.

If you want to stomp dudes in the dick in CC go with DC.
    altmann wrote:
    I hate to say it but mephiston is the best HQ in that book IMO. I love him. He's like this miniature dude running around in a stormraven, or hanging off the back of a rhino then BAM, he's in your face killing your entire tac squads, or force weaponing all ur thunderwolves.

He scares me so much.

OK thanks Ogotai, I'll consider it. I need to get some more apoc games in if I'm gonna make it worth it. I need like 4 a year to justify all my purchases...

I love Astorath. Dante is good, but I don't like his fluff. Astorath is just badass. Plus, S6 power weapon that makes you reroll invuln saves? Money.

• Options
    mugginns wrote:
    altmann wrote:

Yeah I've had to explain that a dozen times. They need to fix that for 6th edition.

I'm that guy you need to explain it too, apparently. If you are in range for an assault, and you can move all your dudes into base-to-base, you still have to take a terrain test if some asshole in the back has terrain between him and an unengaged enemy? Even if he can make base-to-base by simply walking around?

• Options
    @Trace- making suckas reroll invuls is my new favorite thing. The C:SM psychic power is very generous with the 24" range as well. All too often my crisis suits would leap out at a squad of terminators, put two plasma wounds on each one, and half would live any way. But no more.

• Options
    saluksic wrote:
    mugginns wrote:
    altmann wrote:

I'm that guy you need to explain it too, apparently. If you are in range for an assault, and you can move all your dudes into base-to-base, you still have to take a terrain test if some asshole in the back has terrain between him and an unengaged enemy? Even if he can make base-to-base by simply walking around?

Basically, yeah.

so for example, if the closest dude is 3" away and there is no intervening terrain, but the dude just next to him has the corner of a ruin to go over, even if he could go around it and still be within 6", they have to test. You don't do anything but go in a DIRECT STRAIGHT LINE for all models.

And remember, if any model takes a test, it's frag grenades, or initiative 0. So even if the first 4 of your termies can get into Base-to-base but the last dude has to go to an unengaged model that is in a crater, your termies are going at init 1.

signature.png
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Hey guys, been awhile since I've posted here, but I'm just now getting back into the hobby now that I have job (whoo!) Been agonizing over my Slaanesh CSM army for weeks. I have a Lord with jump pack in a Raptor squad, outflanking Chosen (they have yet to let me down in proxy games) and 3 squads of sacred-number Noise Marines. My agony stems from deciding on more Raptors, throwing in a couple of defilers or switching everything with a jump pack to bikes. Suggestions?

Buy a box of terminators, steal some weapon bitz from your buddies, and make some Obliterators.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote:

Buy a box of terminators, steal some weapon bitz from your buddies, and make some Obliterators.

Believe me, the thought has crossed my mind (and I will still do this just to have the models for competitive play), but I'm looking for something that's a little more-in-your face for this list, something that fits the idea of a Slaaneshi army being quick and dangerous. Dangerous like a snake. I mean, I may very well give up on it and default to Oblits, but I'd like to avoid that. Also, Dayspring, I don't recognize you without your Fulgrim avatar!

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    So, friend and I theoryhammered out a Dark Eldar army tonight. From memory, roughly 1750 points (think we had 40 left over):

HQ: Archon w/ Agonizer
    HQ: 2 Haemonculi w/ Scissorhand

Troops: 4x10 Warriors, Splinter Cannon, Shredder, Raider w/ Splinter Racks, Flickerfield
    Troops: 9 Wyches, Flail, Sarge w/PW, Raider w/Flickerfield
    Troops: 8 Wyches, Flail, Sarge w/PW, Raider w/Flickerfield

FA: 6 Reavers (I think? Jetbike guys), 2x Cluster Caltrops, 2x Heat Lance

Heavy: Ravager, Flickerfield
    Heavy: Ravager, Flickerfield

Haemonculi & Archon ride with Wyches. Thoughts?

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I dislike non-Kabalite Dark Eldar using anything but Agonizers for power weapons. STR 3 is too weak to be worth a shit in melee. Huskblades are an exception in some cases. Sounds like an interesting list, though I'm questioning the usage of Shredders and Splinter Cannons over Blasters and Dark Lances. Granted, with Dark Lances, they're better off camping a spot.

Haemonculi with Wyches are awesome. They don't even have to disembark with the Wyches- just hand off the power token and you have Feel No Pain without having to even do anything.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote:

Believe me, the thought has crossed my mind (and I will still do this just to have the models for competitive play), but I'm looking for something that's a little more-in-your face for this list, something that fits the idea of a Slaaneshi army being quick and dangerous. Dangerous like a snake. I mean, I may very well give up on it and default to Oblits, but I'd like to avoid that. Also, Dayspring, I don't recognize you without your Fulgrim avatar!
    Fulgrim will be back sooner or later!
    If you're looking for flavour over competitiveness get some Demonettes. Emperor's Children aint Emperor's Children without androgynous demons running around.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    I dislike non-Kabalite Dark Eldar using anything but Agonizers for power weapons. STR 3 is too weak to be worth a shit in melee. Huskblades are an exception in some cases. Sounds like an interesting list, though I'm questioning the usage of Shredders and Splinter Cannons over Blasters and Dark Lances. Granted, with Dark Lances, they're better off camping a spot.

The warrior squads are built to shoot the fuck out of infantry - that's what the Splinter Racks are there for. With some good rolling on your part (or bad on theirs) you're gibbing a combat squad a turn. Putting a blaster in that squad wastes every other gun if you're shooting it at tanks, and if you're not shooting it at tanks you're wasting the Blaster. Poor synergy for the unit's designed role.

Your point on the power weapons is a good one. May try to find the points for the Agonizers.

This discussion has been closed.