As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FILM] School Generation

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    TexiKen wrote: »

Has anyone seen Puncture? Thoughts?
    I am a little drunk so I probably shouldn't be one to comment right now BUTTTT

I liked Puncture.

I thoiught Chris Evans was really good and I got invested in the story, but then
    Evans dies and it just feels like the film isn't finished.

Cinematic cock block.

Evans really put in a phenomenal performance though, otherwise I would have ranked it as bad.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Goon is the best sports comedy of the last 10 years at least. Excellent pacing, proper content for its target marker (it's 18A in Canada and would have been completely terrible as a pg-13 or even 14A movie). Even the dumb romance subplot was fine.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Isn't that the movie they ripped off from Kevin Smith that he was going to call Hit Somebody?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Even if that's true, good. Kevin Smith wouldn't have been able to make anything half so fun out of it.

Also, wonderful casting choices all around. Liev Schreiber was great, and even Seann William Scott did a wonderful job.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I don't like Leonardo DiCaprio's face.

INCEPTION

The movie was good though.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    AR's top 10:

Drive
    Rango
    Meek's Cutoff
    Contagion
    Ides of March
    The Rum Diary
    The Immortals
    Hugo
    The Artist
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
    Sherlock Holmes 2

Wish I'd seen:

Hanna
    Shame
    Melancholia
    Take Shelter
    Another Earth
    Midnight in Paris
    Tree of Life
    A Dangerous Method
    Rampart
    Young Adult
    We Need to Talk About Kevin

Utterly overrated and/or disappointing:

X-Men: First Class
    Attack the Block
    Super 8
    The Descendants
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    Warhorse
    MI:4
    The Adventures of Tintin

Atomika on
  • Options
    You're a monster

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    You're a monster

For which thing this time?

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Best films:

1. Tree of Life
    2. Harry Potter part 2 part 7
    3. Terri

Honorable mentions:

Meek's Cutoff
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Most overrated films:

The Muppets
    The Artist
    13 Assassins
    Sherlock Holmes 2
    The Adventures of Tintin

Films I gave up on part way through:

Cave of Forgotten Dreams
    Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives

(I haven't seen Drive, Margaret, Hugo, Melancholia and a bunch of other stuff.)

wandering on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Not a lot of great ones for me personally but Drive was supersolid. Still need to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Hugo and Hanna

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I don't even have a top 10 for this year. It's been that bad (and/or the good stuff I still haven't see. Like Drive).

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Has anyone seen Puncture? Thoughts?
    I am a little drunk so I probably shouldn't be one to comment right now BUTTTT

I liked Puncture.

I thoiught Chris Evans was really good and I got invested in the story, but then
    Evans dies and it just feels like the film isn't finished.

Cinematic cock block.

Evans really put in a phenomenal performance though, otherwise I would have ranked it as bad.

Haven't seen a bad performance Evans has had in anything. He's an under-rated actor.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    My top five of 2011:

Martha Marcy May Marlene
    Drive
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    Rango
    Burning Man

I’d write out a top ten, but like other people I think after the first five it’s mainly just films I liked.

Still need to see:
    Attack the Block
    The Artist
    Midnight in Paris
    Hugo
    Tintin

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Drive
    The Artist
    Contagion
    Ides of March
    Fast Five (That's right)
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
    Deathly Hallow Part 2
    Margin Call

...and I'm having trouble thinking of anything else I really enjoyed. Still haven't seen Midnight in Paris, Tree of Life, and some others.

SarcasmoBlaster on
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    My personal Top 10 for the year.

10. Midnight in Paris
    9. Moneyball
    8. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
    7. The Ides of March
    6. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
    5. The Descendants
    4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    3. The Muppets
    2. Hugo
    1. Drive

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Top Five of 2011

5. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
    4. The Descendants
    3. The Artist
    2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2
    1. Drive

Kinda odd that The Muppets didn't make it. At the time I saw it (Thanksgiving) it was the second-best film I'd seen so far that year.

Wondering which likely-to-be-bad film I'm going to see tonight. Choices are Act of Valor, Gone, Wanderlust, Safe House and The Vow

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Top Five of 2011

4. The Descendants
    3. The Artist
    1. Drive

Wondering which likely-to-be-bad film I'm going to see tonight. Choices are Act of Valor, Gone, Wanderlust, Safe House and The Vow

There you go.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    You're a monster

Aside from Meek's I like your top 10.

I'm just saddened by your disappointing list.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Top Five of 2011

4. The Descendants
    3. The Artist
    1. Drive

There you go.

Might have to go with Act of Valor, actually. It opened this weekend at #1, while Wanderlust opened at #8.

The reason I've started going to the movies every week is to try and get in touch with the kinds of films that the masses flock to see. It was annoying that my movie-watching season basically began in November and ended in mid-January, when all the Oscar films were in theaters, save for a couple summer blockbusters.

It's not been a bad experiment; some films I thought would be utter shit were pretty entertaining, even if not great films (things like Real Steel and Footloose come to mind). In fact, the only films I've seen that I'd consider truly terrible were The Devil Inside, Puss In Boots, Breaking Dawn Part 1, and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Not bad since I've been doing this for seven months now roughly.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    How in the world did Deathly Hollows 2 get on so many peoples lists?

Quire.jpg
  • Options

I can't really take it as a singular film, or even the second half of a film. Thinking about it in the context of a series that's been around for a decade, it was a hell of a satisfying finish, and the best-paced film in the series. A ton of pure action, but there were pretty much seven full movies of pure exposition before it. I was pretty awed in the theater watching DH2.

• Options
    edited February 2012

Might have to go with Act of Valor, actually. It opened this weekend at #1, while Wanderlust opened at #8.

The reason I've started going to the movies every week is to try and get in touch with the kinds of films that the masses flock to see. It was annoying that my movie-watching season basically began in November and ended in mid-January, when all the Oscar films were in theaters, save for a couple summer blockbusters.

It's not been a bad experiment; some films I thought would be utter shit were pretty entertaining, even if not great films (things like Real Steel and Footloose come to mind). In fact, the only films I've seen that I'd consider truly terrible were The Devil Inside, Puss In Boots, Breaking Dawn Part 1, and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Not bad since I've been doing this for seven months now roughly.
    If you want to see Call of Duty: The Movie, then it's alright.

The plot is threadbare and the main characters are all wooden unless interacting with eachother.

The cinematography is fun at times (First person shooter-esque views and rolling the camera when something gets rolled, HUD layovers, etc etc) but that's all it really has going for it.

I was able to glean some enjoyment of it because of the experiment it conducted and the quirky cinematography touches.

Edit: Though Safe House was pretty dominant lately, so you can still justify seeing it for your reasons. It's also a fantastic action flick. That would be my suggestion.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    How are people putting Harry Potter on their top tens? Methinks a love of the material is colouring your assessment.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

I can't really take it as a singular film, or even the second half of a film. Thinking about it in the context of a series that's been around for a decade, it was a hell of a satisfying finish, and the best-paced film in the series. A ton of pure action, but there were pretty much seven full movies of pure exposition before it. I was pretty awed in the theater watching DH2.

It was well paced but I found the Climax and fights to be wholly unsatisfying and unclear. It ruined several good moments from the book and I don't feel it replaced them with anything good.

And if they end up rebooting the series in 20 year I hope the director and writer have the sense to do more with combat then this series did.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

It was well paced but I found the Climax and fights to be wholly unsatisfying and unclear. It ruined several good moments from the book and I don't feel it replaced them with anything good.

And if they end up rebooting the series in 20 year I hope the director and writer have the sense to do more with combat then this series did.

Yeah, Deathly Hallows pt. 2 was a seriously awful movie in a lot of ways.

But if someone were to remake those films, I'd hope that they'd find a cohesive narrative and tell the whole thing in one single 3.5-4 hour movie.

• Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I put it my list because I didn't see that many movies this year, and I had to leave something off so that my list wasn't just "movies I saw this year". In my mind, keeping Real Steel off my list validates its integrity.

• Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular

Thor might not have been the best Marvel movie(though I disagree about that) but it had the most unexplored territory.

Thor definitely has my favourite villain in a Marvel movie. Loki was great.

Just go Tree of Life today, feel like this is a movie I will want to watch by myself first and not with friends/family.

NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    Had a double feature of Hugo and Act of Valor. Hugo's first hour was awful and was checking my watch (which isn't normal), but the 2nd made up for it. Act of Valor had so many things going against it, but I genuinely liked it, and it was easy to forgive the amateurish acting and cue card reading by the authenticity they brought to the roles. It's an armed forces recruiting video in movie form, but it's cool to see the real deal rather than actors doing it for a change.

• Options

you beat me by 4 minutes!

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Oh, there's a list thing going on.

Hold on, I can make one too.

Liked:
    Rango
    Kung Fu Panda 2
    Hugo
    The Artist
    Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
    Midnight In Paris
    50/50 if I hold up a paper cut out of a rage comic over Seth Rogan's appearances
    Muppets Movie
    Super 8
    Captain America
    Approaching the 25th film adaptation of the Three Musketeers, woooooo

Disliked:
    Otherwise this year sucked for big animation
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
    They had to make a Hangover sequel
    Hangover 2
    Moneyball had Bobby Kotick in it, nerds
    Bloody Pirates
    Marvel movies that weren't Captain America sucked
    Sucker Punch

WERST EVAR:
    The adaptation of Atlas Shrugged released earlier on in the year was a part 1
    Conan the Barbarian
    Why is Twilight still a thing
    Seth Rogan
    Number of movies about a rogue CIA operative continues to be a rising trend
    The eventual FILM FEST 2011 - Horror Movies
    Cars 2, in relation to other Pixar films so I guess it's not so bad
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo hit foreign shores two years ago. Two. Years.
    They made a movie about this
    Fz66z.jpg

naengwen on
  • Options
    What is "this" - babby Bieber gropes the busty ladies?

• Options
    Well, that was the draw for the movie, wasn't it?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    He just means the Justin Beiber Concert movie.

He also admitted to hating Seth Rogen literally playing himself in 50/50...so

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    You're a monster

Attack the Block.

• Options
    He just means the Justin Beiber Concert movie.

He also admitted to hating Seth Rogen literally playing himself in 50/50...so

Almost like I hate him or something

• Options
    Also, it is a little silly to hate on movies you haven't seen just because you're not a fan of the subject matter.

Never Say Never wasn't for you. That doesn't make it one of the worst movies of the year and to say so is dumb.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    I don't recall calling it a bad movie, actually.

If you wanna continue being a goose about it though, go right on ahead.

• Options
    naengwen wrote: »
    I don't recall calling it a bad movie, actually.

If you wanna continue being a goose about it though, go right on ahead.
    Sorry for assuming that WERST EVAR means bad movie.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Julius wrote: »
    You're a monster

Attack the Block.

Outside of some really great creature effects, that movie was crap. Worse, it was the kind of crap that somehow thinks it's clever.

Given how much so many people talked it up, it was easily the most disappointing experience I had in a theater this year. Not the worst, but certainly most disappointing.

• Options
    That they made a movie about it was WERST EVAR.

As you said though, I didn't watch it. Not my thing.

In a similar manner, I didn't dislike Moneyball, either. But it did have Bobby Kotick in it, and I didn't like that. Hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.