As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ask Whippy (Or ANYBODY) Thread Mark XVIII

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    New X-Men... sweet, sweet New X-Men...

of course, you may have to go back to before House of M... back when it sucked.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I just bought the New Academy X House of M volume and was kind of shocked when Dust was all whored out in the first issue. Have'nt read any of the other issues yet so I'm hoping it will be explained.

Maximum on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It's House of M...

That's the only explanation there is, and the only one you need.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I thought her being best friends with Jubilee was hilarious.

I miss Jubilee.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Well from what I thought about House of M is that everyone got to live out their greatest desire. So was Dust's greatest desire to dress like someone from My Super Sweet Sixteen?

Maximum on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited June 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

What.

New X-Men has been consistently solid, ever since the Tsunami relaunch of New Mutants.

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    MaximumJ wrote: »
    Well from what I thought about House of M is that everyone got to live out their greatest desire. So was Dust's greatest desire to dress like someone from My Super Sweet Sixteen?

Subconsciously, she could have wished to be assimilated.

But she also subconsciously loathed the fact that she'd given up her heritage and become a vapid mall rat.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

What.

New X-Men has been consistently solid, ever since the Tsunami relaunch of New Mutants.
    I really feel the new creative team made the book worse by killing most of the interesting characters.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I liked it better when Hellion seemed like he was going to grow up to be a villain. There aren't nearly enough kid villains, especially with the constant stream of redemption.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I dunno Whipstich, I bought the entire New X run off Amazon cause I'm really digging it right now, and so far the first 15 issues have been less then stellar imo. I'm just hoping things pick up when the Kyle and Yost issues start up.

Maximum on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

What.

Wow... I can't say I agree with you at all. Most people I've seen have hated it until after House of M... the only good thing before that (in my opinion) was the funeral for Northstar. Otherwise, the whole title was completely juvenile until after House of M.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

What.

I really feel the new creative team made the book worse by killing most of the interesting characters.

I am the exact opposite. Aside from
    Wallflower
    I hated every single person they killed off, and felt that the deaths were good things.
    I liked it better when Hellion seemed like he was going to grow up to be a villain. There aren't nearly enough kid villains, especially with the constant stream of redemption.

Well, there's still hope for Wither.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    august wrote: »
    Yeah, but. Hulk straight.

I just had to

homophobicok2.jpg

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Why does it seem like I'm the only person that likes the current, all ages Power Pack books? Why doesn't everyone realize that the books are awesome?
    Man, what? You know I was all over the Spider-Man one - I'm trying to get hold of back issues of the Hulk one too.

Also - the back-up strips in Power Pack/Spider-Man made Civil War for me.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    mask - how is powerpack and hulk?

I am interested in reading it.

I am really gay for the Hulk.

I haven't read any of the issues because I'm waiting for the trade. I will say, though, that the previous four volumes have been great. It certainly doesn't hurt that I like the art style of Gurihiru quite a lot. Spidey and Power Pack was especially entertaining, and on the strength of that alone I went out and bought the previous three volumes.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Did anyone like Shadowpact? When I first started it I thought I would hate it, but I actually really enjoyed it.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Did anyone like Shadowpact? When I first started it I thought I would hate it, but I actually really enjoyed it.

I still like Shadowpact. And the cover to #16 makes me wish / hope that Zatanna would join the team permanently.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Someone was telling me about "The Boys" and professing how good it is. I don't usually trust this mans opinion. Oh mighty GV, is it a good book or just full of worthless excessive violence and comic nerd jokes that fall flat?

Accualt on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Accualt wrote: »
    Someone was telling me about "The Boys" and professing how good it is. I don't usually trust this mans opinion. Oh mighty GV, is it a good book or just full of worthless excessive violence and comic nerd jokes that fall flat?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=1875600#post1875600

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

It's good if you're a homophobe. Well not really, but Ennis is getting dumb as hell with that stuff. The Boys has potential if you can wince past the dumb shit that he writes in for cheap jokes that aren't funny.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »

I still like Shadowpact. And the cover to #16 makes me wish / hope that Zatanna would join the team permanently.

I should have said that I picked up Shadowpact: The Pentacle Plot. So I'm not really hardcore reading it. But from that book I really like how DC decided that their vast army of heroes would be useless against the forces of magic, and came up with their own team of people to fight that side of it. Cool idea put into a cool story I suppose.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    I liked Shadowpact

haven't read it since like November, though

every time I go to pick up the issues I missed, I think "Man I'm spending too much money, I'm not going to pick up Shadowpact"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So, is Amazons Attack worth picking up?

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mr Pink wrote: »

I say no. So far, it's been kinda... dumb. There's some revelation waiting to happen, but until then, it really makes no sense.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Not really. I grabbed the first two issues and it just feels like some sort of Wonder Woman "extra edition." There's just a lot of Amazon's killing and burning with not much so far to really tie anything together. It doesn't help that bits of the story take place in Wonder Woman, so if you don't read Wonder Woman from month to month you'll be left confused as what the heck is happening.

It's supposed to be six issues, but I'm not sure if I'll bother with the rest of them.

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

If money isn't a huge issue for you, then I'd say yes. It's a little bland right now, and fairly underhyped in the other DC books, which is odd considering the events that are actually taking place during the attack.

It's definately a B / C-list level crossover event. But I do have faith in Will Pfeifer to deliver a good story, it just might not grab everyone till issues 5 or 6.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Will Pfeifer is a good writer. I just think Amazons Attack is being handled pretty sloppily. Plus Wonder Woman is a pretty bleh read right now. That doesn't help.

Furu on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

It's covered in the other thread that's linked in the above post, but I like it. It doesn't take itself really seriously, but at the same time I like the story and the 'seedy underbelly' approach it takes to superheroes.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Has everyone who likes the Boys read Planetary, particularly the bits with The Four?

Or X-Statix?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I like The Boys and I have read Planetary. I loved planetary. No X-Static though, is good?

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »
    I like The Boys and I have read Planetary. I loved planetary. No X-Static though, is good?

Planetary may be my favorite book ever I think. They really need to finish up and get #27 out so I can buy a good absolute edition. The one they have now is only 12 issues and goes on amazon for like $250.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I got the first absolute edition for 30 bucks on ebay.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »

Yes. Between the two of them, I think Planetary and X-Statix both do a superb job covering the corruption of heroes by both fame and power hunger, on top of X-Statix's commitment to humor (one that greatly overshadows the second rate homophobic comedy of The Boys).

To me, The Boy's doesn't cover new ground so much as it stumbles through old ground, pissing itself along the way and laughing at where the drops happen to land.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So I just saw the first 52 TPB in stores. Is it worth it to buy it?

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    DharmaBum wrote: »

if only to cut out the covers and frame them so that you can hang them above your bed, fireplace, guest room, TV, and and your dead grandmother's ashes.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    Nogs wrote: »

if only to cut out the covers and frame them so that you can hang them above your bed, fireplace, guest room, TV, and and your dead grandmother's ashes.

the covers aren't in that, i think

they're in the covers collection coming out in october i think

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Keith wrote: »

Oh well in that case. Meh. I mean there are major plot points that you might miss if you don't read it, but you could always wikipedia it to make it clear. I guess for me, I like that concept of it, and the execution while going through the year was nice. But the stories themselves varied too much for my tastes. The steel one I didn't really care for at all, buddy and space should've had way more panel time, and booster kind disappeared for awhile until you forgot about him until the end. The black adam story was really good though, and question was alright.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Speaking of the 52 covers is there a gallery of them out there with some high quality scans of them? I kinda wanna use a bunch of them as my wallpaper.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hey guys, can you tell me if Dr. Strange has any or had any children? If he had any, did he have a hand in raising them, or were they raised apart from him?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2007

I flipped through it in the store. It does have the covers in there, but there are a few per page in the back. It might be worth it for the creator commentary/sketches and crap though.

DJ Eebs on
This discussion has been closed.