As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who marries people in a secular wedding?

THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny.Real shiny.Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
THIS IS NOT A GOD DEBATE SO PLEASE DON'T MAKE IT ONE

I am getting married in August of next year to @kirbith. I am an Atheist and she is Pagan. In addition to that my grandparents are Jehovah's Witnesses so they don't want a ceremony with God in it either which I respect because frankly it makes it easier to explain to people when they ask why we aren't having it at a church.

So my basic question is this: Who marries people who aren't religious?

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
THEPAIN73 on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2011
    Noone is married until papers are signed. Typically done with some clerky type at city hall or something.

Church stuff is just a ceremony for show that happens to be important for some people.

edit: so the answer would be "the same persons who marry people in a religious wedding".

Echo on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the officiant can literally be anyone. It's just for show.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Depending on where you are located, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-uniting_marriage could be an option. The wife and I went this route.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    In CT it's quite common for a Justice of the Peace to perform the ceremony.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    My sister and cousin were both married by Justices of the Peace (not to each other).

• Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    It depends on the state. My husband and I also did self-uniting and loved it, but not all states have that option.

You can also do the internet clergyperson thing for a friend and have them officiate in some states.

In other states your only option are actual minister type people or a justice of the peace. There are minister type people that do secular weddings, not sure how easy they are to find.

And for the record, it depends on your state, but we didn't have to sign the papers at city hall, we just picked up the license there a few weeks ahead of time and signed it right after the ceremony with two witnesses.

Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    You can also just bring a lawyer in to do it.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Kistra wrote:
    And for the record, it depends on your state, but we didn't have to sign the papers at city hall, we just picked up the license there a few weeks ahead of time and signed it right after the ceremony with two witnesses.

This is what we did, and for the ceremony (non-religious) we had a licensed officiant; any internet search should turn up a number in your area.

• Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    I was going to suggest a ship's captain, but apparently that's just a myth. Stupid sitcoms giving me false information!

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Basically, every state has different rules. I believe you can call your county clerk for the rules in your state. In Colorado it takes $10 (cash) and the county clerk has to recite the rules, then you sign the licence.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Congratulations, @THEPAIN73!

With that out of the way, let's get down to business. As @Elin says, every state has different rules. The good news is that you should be able to find a secular officiant that can perform your actual, legally binding wedding ceremony at the location of your choosing. In fact, I'm an atheist that has performed several weddings, so I can help point you in the right direction.

Should you want a friend or relative to perform the ceremony, there are many free, easy ordination services online that will allow that person to legally perform weddings. I was ordained through the Universal Life Church, which takes literally moments (as the Conan O'Brien video on their site demonstrates), and is legally recognized in most states.

Even if this isn't the route for you, they do have an excellent tool on their site, which details wedding laws by state: Wedding Laws.

I hope that helps, and again, congratulations!

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    If your state is pretty strict, you might bee able to find a Unitarian Universalist minister to take care of things. I have been to a few gay civil union ceremonies in Texas, and one was presided over by an atheist UU minister.

I also went to a wedding done by an internet card priest who was the guy who introduced the couple, and it was a beautiful ceremony.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    I got married in the chapel of the bellagio. The guy was a priest or something, we just told him before the ceremony to take out all references to god / religion. It doesn't really matter who does it.

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    TekkoTekko Registered User regular
    When we got married we had a judge do the ceremony. Same deal, no religion involved. Judge was a great guy and we were able to have some what of a traditional ceremony for our families.

XBL:Tekko88 - PSN:Tekko88
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    I'll echo most people here, your best bet is a judge/justice of the peace - some of them put themselves out there to do weddings, you'll probably have to look in some kind of local directory/wedding magazine. Or a Unitarian Universalist minister. The place I got married (where I also happened to work, nice resort, gave me a discount) had a UU minister they recommended to brides and he seemed like a nice guy. We told him we were atheists and it was fine. I did ask him just to wear a suit and he accidentally wore his robes. Oh well. Otherwise it was fine.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    it needs to be someone licensed in your state/locality to perform weddings.

we used a licensed officiant - so the ceremony was 'real' (i.e. that's when we actually got married rather than getting fake-married and then doing it again legally at the court :D )

• Options
    LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    My wife and I were married by a Justice of the Peace in a very small secular ceremony in Rhode Island.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    I am an atheist and my wife is a Catholic, so getting married in a Catholic church was out of the question. Instead, we got married in a United Church of Christ, as they're very tolerant of religious beliefs. I would think a UCC pastor would marry you (possibly outside the church) and leave all religious references out. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Other than that, I would also echo the Justice of Peace option.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Really though you can have anyone hold the ceremony and read the vows too, but it always has to get registered with the courts. So your going to have to go to the county courts to get your marriage license.
    I was going to suggest a ship's captain, but apparently that's just a myth. Stupid sitcoms giving me false information!
    Yeah it's usually the chaplain that does it in the navy. There is actually a military code that tells ship captains they are not allowed to marry people.

zepherin on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote:
    Really though you can have anyone hold the ceremony and read the vows too, but it always has to get registered with the courts. So your going to have to go to the county courts to get your marriage license.

The part about getting a marriage license from the courts is completely true.

However, the second part about it not mattering who officiates varies widely by state - check the laws of whatever state you want to get married in. It might be anyone can do it, it might be a very specific list of people or it might not need to be anybody at all (self-uniting option). As long as you follow the laws of your state your wedding can be "real" and not just a ceremony before you go to the courthouse even without a religious person up there with you.

Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    Getting married in BC, Canada, you actually don't have someone religious do it at all. They have to be an official recognized by the province. Yes lots of religious heads (pastors, etc) are ALSO marriage commissioners but that is not the primary source of it.

Best bet, find out who does it locally / your state.

• Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    We got married at Planet Hollywood in Vegas (formerly the Aladdin, where Elvis got married). It was pretty cool, cheap, and religion-free. They stream some weddings on their website if you want to see what it's like.

The person performing the ceremony mostly just acts as a notary or witness. You do all the real marriage stuff the day before at the county courthouse.

• Options
    DaltonCarlDaltonCarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    ----

DaltonCarl on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It's pretty easy for pretty much anybody to get licensed to perform marriages. Lots of states empower any minister or other clergymember to conduct the service and send the paperwork to the state.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Yeah, my brother and his wife got married last month in a completely nonreligious ceremony. The person who married them was a good friend of theirs who got his license to do that sort of thing a while back.

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    universal life church. my buddy got the card on a lark years ago, and performed my ceremony. easy-peasy.

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    What most of my friends have done is they'll get the legal papers officiated by a judge, and then sometime afterward they'll have a ceremony that is just for show, where a particularly well-spoken and trusted friend or family member officiates.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Getting someone to perform a marriage is easy, the hard part is deciding who you pick to sign as witnesses.

• Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the input everyone! I know you can get things done officially at the courthouse and then just have the ceremony for show, but I'd really like the ceremony to be the legit thing, where we just need to file the papers later or whatever. We're in Indiana, which is where we'll be getting married as well. I'm pretty cool with Unitarian Universalist people, but I think we'd prefer that it not be done by anyone from any church.

Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Elin wrote:
    Basically, every state has different rules. I believe you can call your county clerk for the rules in your state. In Colorado it takes $10 (cash) and the county clerk has to recite the rules, then you sign the licence.
    It's actually easier than that, since Colorado is a common-law state. You can just say you're married and live as husband+wife. The licence is just if you want paperwork.

If the ceremony is for show, you can even just saw your vows to each other without an officiator. My husbad and I did that.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    A lot of people getting married in Ireland are atheist, but they're still getting married in churches.

...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Kirbith wrote:
    Thanks for all the input everyone! I know you can get things done officially at the courthouse and then just have the ceremony for show, but I'd really like the ceremony to be the legit thing, where we just need to file the papers later or whatever. We're in Indiana, which is where we'll be getting married as well. I'm pretty cool with Unitarian Universalist people, but I think we'd prefer that it not be done by anyone from any church.

I think you may be misunderstanding- the ceremony is always just for show. Priests, rabbis, and ministers just act as the officiant. You go through a little ceremony when you get married at the courthouse too, which can be performed by anyone but they have people on staff if you don't care who does it.

You always get your marriage license before the ceremony, not after. It varies state to state but I think it's usually at least one day beforehand. You, a witness, and the officiant sign it after the ceremony (or before, or whenever you want) and then you're legally married. Anyone can be an officiant, it just requires a bit of work on their part to get licensed.

zilo on