As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prometheus - Probably an Alien prequel, unless it isn't (it totally is)

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Comahawk wrote: »
    WUA wrote: »
    Awaiting the inevitable Space Jockey Versus Predator movie.

Maybe the Space Jockey's were the race that the Predators ransacked for their technology?

Also, I remember in the late 90s/early 2000s, reading a Batman vs Predator comic. I used this last year to enrage another person by pointing out that Batman only comes to a draw with the Predator, and therefore Danny Glover could kill Batman. Nerd rage is the best rage.

That's a poorly informed nerd. They should hand in their credentials for that argument.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    oh hey i finally watched predators

that was a pretty forgetable movie, let me tell you

I remember the cowboy curtis bits but everything else was just a sea of who gives a shit

but the new predator design was pretty awful and really I could not even remotely care about what was going on and the action was rather boring

and an action movie where I like Topher Grace the most is not a good action movie

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    I literally just watched Predator 2 yesterday and Predators today, both for the first time. Funny coincidence that you guys happen to be discussing the Predator movies right now.

But I enjoyed Predators a lot more than I enjoyed Predator 2. I don't really mind the big-Predator design, and looking at wikipedia apparently the Predator rivarly was canon before the movie existed - in the novels I guess

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    Also I liked Adrien Brody and the badass Yakuza guy.

I hope they make another Alien-less Predator movie soon

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I liked Predators

I thought it was a cool film which was in the vein of Predator

• Options
    PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    The Alpha Predator is fantastic how do people not see this

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Topher Grace was one of the best parts of Predators

He's come a long way

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    TV's Topher Grace being a
    secret serial killer
    saved it from being otherwise forgettable

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

He's come a long way

He was great, yeah

Adrian Brody was pretty solid as the lead though

I was very impressed

• Options
    I did like that the yakuza guy was there solely to be used as a shoutout to Billy from Predator 1

And I liked the Screaming for Vengeance scout bird thing the one Predator had

But really it was rather dull

It had a good start as essentially Cube, but with Predators, but the ante never seemed too high nor did I get invested in the stakes

also a serious dearth of quality one-liners

it wasn't a bad movie, but a movie that defined mediocre

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    I am kind of amazed that people were impressed that an academy award winning actor was able to play a one-dimensional generic tough guy though. Not exactly a difficult role, all he had to do was lift some weights before filming.

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

He's come a long way

He was great, yeah

Adrian Brody was pretty solid as the lead though

I was very impressed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygI-2F8ApUM

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't say I was impressed with Adrian Brody

Just that I like him

Always

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Seems to be an article about Prometheus on Empire.
    The Facebookpage links towards it: prometheusnews.net/movie/exclusive-empire-magazine/

Quite an interesting read, complete with timeline and a great interview with mr. Scot.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    So I finally watched Predators and loved it. Fuck tha haterz.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I wouldn't say I was impressed with Adrian Brody

Just that I like him

Always

It's weird that he got hot, too.

Like, super weird.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    I don't want to make an entire thread for this dumb shit, so I'm just gonna post it in here as roughly related to a certain period of sci-fi cinema.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3FFWFTjcu8

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    BLURGH

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    TLB, what would you do if somehow Topher Grace became the world's biggest action star?

• Options
    literally explode

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't have a problem at all with them remaking Total Recall. It'll either suck, in which case I'll just ignore it, or it'll manage to be good and I'll go enjoy it and laugh at the angry nerds gnashing their teeth about their childhood supposedly being raped or something.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Druhim wrote: »
    I don't have a problem at all with them remaking Total Recall. It'll either suck, in which case I'll just ignore it, or it'll manage to be good and I'll go enjoy it and laugh at the angry nerds gnashing their teeth about their childhood supposedly being raped or something.

Well said. This right here is the way to be, fellas.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    You should metaphorically explode instead.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I like the aesthetics of the world from what I can see in that new Total Recall. I'm kind of imagining it taking place within the Mass Effect universe though what with the black/white android looking guys and the soldiers seeming very reminiscent of Cerberus troops.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The old aliens should totes be protheans.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Yeah it's quite pretty, especially the robot designs.

I've never actually seen the original Total Recall though so there are no preconceptions going in.

• Options
    Cilia.

Watch it.

It's an amazing amalgamation of 80's b grade set design, an actual budget and a sweet but kinda pulpy sci fi story.

• Options
    Druhim wrote: »

Oh, I don't have a problem with someone trying to remake Total Recall. The original movie is enjoyable, but it's campy and grotesque and not worth taking all that seriously. I found the actual trailer off-putting and stupid.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Cilia.

Watch it.

It's an amazing amalgamation of 80's b grade set design, an actual budget and a sweet but kinda pulpy sci fi story.

Yeah, but at a much younger age that whole intro sequence with the bugeyes fucked me over but good and while that kind of stuff is just silly these days I've always avoided watching it. This seems like as good an excuse as any to make the effort though.

• Options
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I like the aesthetics of the world from what I can see in that new Total Recall. I'm kind of imagining it taking place within the Mass Effect universe though what with the black/white android looking guys and the soldiers seeming very reminiscent of Cerberus troops.

I get that comparison. I kind of compared the visual design in the trailer to videogame aesthetics in my head too, but it was because of the lens flare and that I think the world and effects all look plasticky. There's also an orientalist thing going on with some of the sets and costumes that's frankly not as quaint or endearingly crude in a contemporary movie as it is in junky old cyberpunk stuff.

I think the other thing that's putting me off is the tone of the trailer, though it's always hard to say if that will translate to the actual movie. It seems to have foregone the bombast of the original in favor of a quasi-Inception bent. I know that's thematically appropriate for PKD's works, but eh, trailer looks like a cash in.

• Options
    What was the last good scifi movie guys, I'm trying to remember.

Best I've got is children of men, but to be fair the setting was in the future, but not super technological if that makes any sense.

I will list minority report for the sweet scifi things in it, but I wasn't a huge fan of the story.

• Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular

Best I've got is children of men, but to be fair the setting was in the future, but not super technological if that makes any sense.

I will list minority report for the sweet scifi things in it, but I wasn't a huge fan of the story.

what'd you think of Moon?

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    oh and Sunshine. I liked both of them but I have a feeling they wouldn't have been exactly your thing

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Moon was in 2009, so that's the furthest back it can go.

So was District 9, come to think. New Trek. Good year for space.

On the other hand, Avatar.

• Options
    the trailer, to me, just felt like

jason bourne....BUT IN THE FUTURE

in both story and how the trailer was edited and being marketed

and I don't think I care for that

so, once again, go to hell total recall remake

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    star trek. yeah

i always forget to list that one even though i liked it a lot

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    the star trek movie was so good it actually made me care about star trek

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Oooh.

Yes.

I completely forgot about moon.

Moon was super interesting as I went in knowing nothing about it. And had an amazing almost 1 man act.

The sets reminded a lot of the 50's & 60's sets and it was interesting as there was obviously future technology but it seemed really stripped back which was different also.

Plus dancing.

• Options
    Yes, TLB and Blake T, totally.

also that was damn good casting in Moon for the robot voice

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    I never saw the end of district nine. I liked it. But it felt kind of disjointed how in the beginning it was faux documentary. With a film crew, but he eventually lost the film crew but they kept the filming technique.

Which just felt weird.